Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Taylor365 wrote: »
    As far as i know, he only got rid of GS and not WFC, which has the worse performing price of the banks.

Seems WFC wasn't in the mix: LINK

Possible reasons behind the sellout: LINK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,380 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Fed last night said they have lots more ammunition.

Moderno also had great results from a vaccine trial.

Expecting a big up day, espeically for tourism, hospitality etc

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Fed last night said they have lots more ammunition.

Expecting a big up day, espeically for tourism, hospitality etc

Which makes timing for 2nd crash wave harder to predict, probably not until Autumn/winter once Covid picks up and USA elections are done and dusted.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭UsBus

I sold Moderna back in March when they jumped to $28 as I had held them for a year beforehand with very little happening..

As the saying goes, if I fell into a barrel of t***

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Euro Stoxx 50 up about 4% and S&P 500 has increased 3% so far.

Seems a bit much...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭theboringfox

As someone with shares I am delighted to see the bounce but I don't buy it. Think there is way too much optimism built into share prices. I think some stocks and sectors still hold value but I am staying well clear of and leisure and travel related stocks. I am generally optimistic on how quick overall the economy can recover but I am very pessimistic on some sectors. I think regardless of being allowed reopen a lot of people just will not be interested in heading back out that fast. I think the recovery is going to be very slow for some sectors

• Registered Users Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭AmberGold

UsBus wrote: »
    I sold Moderna back in March when they jumped to $28 as I had held them for a year beforehand with very little happening..

As the saying goes, if I fell into a barrel of t***

I was sitting on a significant FTNT holding for 10 years selling at what I thought was an all time high two weeks ago only to see them shoot up since. Every time I see the latest price I have an anxiety attack :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

ya same here, I had a buy order in for Southwest (LUV) last week for $23 and it got filled
    If I get another dollar of it this week, I'll be taking profits on some of it

As someone with shares I am delighted to see the bounce but I don't buy it. Think there is way too much optimism built into share prices. I think some stocks and sectors still hold value but I am staying well clear of and leisure and travel related stocks. I am generally optimistic on how quick overall the economy can recover but I am very pessimistic on some sectors. I think regardless of being allowed reopen a lot of people just will not be interested in heading back out that fast. I think the recovery is going to be very slow for some sectors

Any sign of a vaccine has resulted in a boost in the regular world stocks (airlines, cruises), and a drop for the lockdown stocks (Zoom, Peleton, Teledoc).

Been a while since my 2 biggest growers in a day are a Restaurant Chain and a Gym Chain.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,012 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Any sign of a vaccine has resulted in a boost in the regular world stocks (airlines, cruises), and a drop for the lockdown stocks (Zoom, Peleton, Teledoc).

Been a while since my 2 biggest growers in a day are a Restaurant Chain and a Gym Chain.

Ryanair up 16% today..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭1percent

I bought a bit more GOLD, AUY and KGC today, last 2 are down over 5% today. Considering there is really no new news this is purely sentiment, feelings and hope driving the market today.

But I do regret not padding out my Cannabis holding with some ABC last week. Would have been a nice wind fall today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭Kilboor

Kirkland's was my next go to but it's after increasing 75% after hours on store re opening news.

Still incredibly undervalued in my opinion even at those prices.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Ryanair up 16% today..

Southwest up 13.5% aswell

Cant see this sustaining, I held my holding I picked up last Thursday but set a stop loss just in case it retraces tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭a_squirrelman

MurDawg wrote: »
    Cheers to poster who recommended Kitov - Looks like today will be a 100% gain from when you originally posted.

Kitov is flying.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

Enthusiasm bursts don't last long these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,345 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

voluntary wrote: »
    Enthusiasm bursts don't last long these days.

I agree, 3% days are far to volatile swings, sold of nastily on the close yesterday too.
    I sold off some of my positions and am sitting in cash for a few days, wouldn't be surprised to see further violent up and down swings again this week as vaccine hopes are tempered with reality and the current simmering row with the Chinese continues..

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

I've got a few stop losses set

Read this morning that Trump has been on the hydroxychloroquine for last 10 days

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the trick is to always sell europe early morning if wall st closes up strong the previous evening

europe is a follower , it cannot lead higher so relies on yesterdays momentum stateside , this burns out quick

• Registered Users Posts: 1,065 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    the trick is to always sell europe early morning if wall st closes up strong the previous evening

europe is a follower , it cannot lead higher so relies on yesterdays momentum stateside , this burns out quick

I have often tried to work out the rythmn of the markets Asia->Europe->US->....

I think it really depends which region springs some important news.... the other regions will then re-act.

US and Asia tend to originate most of the news ...and Europe tends to simply re-act most of the time

If you get it right, its a easy win for your portfolio ... but sometimes regions and particularly individual stocks can throw you a curve ball.

Its all part of the fun :D

bcklschaps wrote: »
    I have often tried to work out the rythmn of the markets Asia->Europe->US->....

I think it really depends which region springs some important news.... the other regions will then re-act.

US and Asia tend to originate most of the news ...and Europe tends to simply re-act most of the time

If you get it right, its a easy win for your portfolio ... but sometimes regions and particularly individual stocks can throw you a curve ball.

Its all part of the fun :D

it doesnt matter how good the news is from europe , if the U.S market goes red , europe follows , thats why selling before mid morning is often wise , if pre market in the usa goes red , europe nearly always turns back down

europe has no independence

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I've got a few stop losses set

Read this morning that Trump has been on the hydroxychloroquine for last 10 days

same here, my SL on IAG just got triggered :( thought it was doing great...

I've been doing ok last few weeks on GNMK

bought originally I think about $4 and sold them at $12.50 ish

Then I just swing traded on them picking them up at $10.5 and selling at $12'ish

Long may it last as its working out so far

If they tank my SL saves me and if they pick up then its just a bit more profit

by setting automatic orders it takes the stress out of watching it constantly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

• Registered Users Posts: 10,905 ✭✭✭✭Bob24

RedRochey wrote: »

Some valid points but don't be fooled by supposedly similar looking charts though.

You could also take the 2020 chart and match it with typical examples of bear market rallies eventually leading to further drops.

See below, I could say Feb 2020 to to May 2020 exactly matches the pattern of July 1929 to Feb 1930, and that if things turn out the same we are due for the end of the bear market rally and another dip (I am not saying this is where we are heading, just pointing to the fact that past charts and patterns can be used to support completely opposite predictions).

1929-1930-stock-chart-s.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,107 ✭✭✭Living Off The Splash

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    it doesnt matter how good the news is from europe , if the U.S market goes red , europe follows , thats why selling before mid morning is often wise , if pre market in the usa goes red , europe nearly always turns back down

europe has no independence

Always worth while having a look here before you decide to buy or sell.

https://money.cnn.com/data/premarket/

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Uncle Mclovin

Spotify making big gains today. Presumably due to Joe Rogan announcing his show is going to be exclusively available on the platform. They're really making huge progress in the podcast area.

S+P unable to close above 2950 at third time a trying

2950 was the september 2018 high which is an important level

heavy selling in the last hour

europe should be well back tomorrow

Spotify making big gains today. Presumably due to Joe Rogan announcing his show is going to be exclusively available on the platform. They're really making huge progress in the podcast area.
    Yeah they're my favorite of the app stocks, they bought a company last year that make podcasts too, so they make money even from podcasts you listen to on other players

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

With many economies opening up right now and also assuming there will be remissions in many countries, I expect oil prices to slowly recover as the cars are going back on roads, but quarterly results, bankruptcies, and a long recession/depression should stop the stocks rally and push it down. A lot.

• Advertisement

he wouldnt have been cheap

Advertisement