Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wage Subsidy Scheme Issues

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

L-M wrote: »
    I know of 2 people who are older who get around 100 a week from work and they don’t pay tax.

They won’t be taking it back because they won’t get it. It was announced for all as a streamline payment, that’s how it came into effect so quick

Tax free allowances will be cut,

• Registered Users Posts: 28,118 ✭✭✭✭drunkmonkey

No tax on payment at present

It's a case of don't rock the apple cart, you can be full sure the revenue will want some back.

Revenue is yet to confirm whether or not the Pandemic Unemployment Payment is taxable. However, it is likely that you will have to pay income tax on this payment.

It's important to note that, if the Pandemic Unemployment Payment is confirmed to be taxable, the tax will not be deducted at source. You will instead be liable for tax upon review at the end of the year. Where possible, Revenue will adjust your tax credits and cut off points via your employer's payroll. This will not be applicable to self-employed individuals.

If you usually pay tax at the higher rate, the subsidy will be subject to 40% income tax.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭Alrigghtythen

?? You got paid ,didn't you?

And so did the 350 a weekers Difference is I earned mine.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭rahmalec

Lots of people in the same situation, could have been doing a few hours on a Saturday getting €50 there now on €350 until God knows when.

There are also many people in the opposite situation.
    I have a portfolio career with many different jobs. I have only one left paying a small fraction of the covid payment. I'm entitled to zero. I should have quit but I didn't ...

Tax free allowances will be cut,

I wonder will it effect peoples student grant as well. Don't see why it wouldn't. It's income.

• Advertisement

rahmalec wrote: »
    There are also many people in the opposite situation.
    I have a portfolio career with many different jobs. I have only one left paying a small fraction of the covid payment. I'm entitled to zero. I should have quit but I didn't ...

Are you not entitled to the 350?

What part of closed by the government did you not get? Tell thousands of businesses to shut up shop and get nothing?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,192 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

I suspect most people in receipt of this payment will neither file a tax return nor ask for a balancing statement meaning the tax won’t be collected. This is a classic Irish Revenue fudge approach. The government needs the money to circulate. If everyone gets back to work early, most won’t grudge any additional tax. The longer it goes on the closer it gets to welfare.

What part of closed by the government did you not get? Tell thousands of businesses to shut up shop and get nothing?

Did you go fruit picking in the end ? If not you chose not to work and now expect it tax free.

I wonder will it effect peoples student grant as well. Don't see why it wouldn't. It's income.

Don't think so, they usually don't consider welfare in means test.

• Advertisement

You sound pissed off, don't blame you, once in a lifetime paid holiday and you missed out. I'm only back to work today, looking forward to Friday now and a few beers with the boys, everything feels kinda back to normal so far.

Did you go fruit picking in the end ? If not you chose not to work and now expect it tax free.

Licking the fivers again?

You sound pissed off, don't blame you, once in a lifetime paid holiday and you missed out. I'm only back to work today, looking forward to Friday now and a few beers with the boys, everything feels kinda back to normal so far.

A no I'm grand. I'm happy my job actually contributes to society and not some pretend job. The essential workers should be given the 350 on top of their wages for keeping the country running. It's some cheek for the people who have been sitting on their hole looking for it tax free.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

They'll have to pay tax on the 350, not sure the exact amount but everyone seems to be saying save 30% as it's owed back.
    Lots of people in the same situation, could have been doing a few hours on a Saturday getting €50 there now on €350 until God knows when.
    Payment should have been based on average of last few paypackets to avoid the situation we have now.

That is utter bs spouted by some tabloid morons that did not have a clue.

Yes it is regarded as income the same way as unemployment benefit is regarded as income. But as the weekly tax free allowance is over €350, no tax liability accrues.

But likewise, you cannot have the further benefits of your tax free allowance during the covid period for normal earnings at future dates.

Eg, if you get covid payment for 10 weeks, then those 10 weeks of your tfa are effectively cancelled

• Registered Users Posts: 9,500 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

They'll have to pay tax on the 350, not sure the exact amount but everyone seems to be saying save 30% as it's owed back.
    Payment should have been based on average of last few paypackets to avoid the situation we have now.

If you earned 50 quid a week this won't put you into the tax bracket.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Question is, did people come out with more being furloughed than working?
    A very small number of people did. Minimum wage is over €10/hour and average weekly hours something like 36.

So in the main, the only people who came out better were those working part-time jobs on minimum wage.

That's not a lot of people, and the state won't be looking for it back. Not directly anyway.

The payment has been made without condition as to repayment. Anyone claiming that Revenue will claw it back from the people it was paid to are talking out of their holes, it's not legally possible.

A no I'm grand. I'm happy my job actually contributes to society and not some pretend job. The essential workers should be given the 350 on top of their wages for keeping the country running. It's some cheek for the people who have been sitting on their hole looking for it tax free.

It's not tax free, it's tax free at present, maybe I should put everything in block capitals and large print as you seem to be struggling, next year's tax certs will explain I it all.

It's not tax free, it's tax free at present, maybe I should put everything in block capitals and large print as you seem to be struggling, next year's tax certs will explain I it all.

Enjoy your dinner, it's on me!

There's half a dozen threads on the go at the moment trying to demonize anyone who lost their job/ had hours cut through no fault of their own. Even that old mad kunt Owenie Harris was crying about in the Sunday firelighter,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,817 ✭✭✭Darc19

The tax system works in real time now. It will be automatically adjusted so that €350 of tax free earnings allowance will not be able to be used for earnings after you have returned to work.

So many people don't understand the tax system. Tabloid journalists and fakebook fools started this rubbish and simply had not a clue.

• Advertisement

There's half a dozen threads on the go at the moment trying to demonize anyone who lost their job/ had hours cut through no fault of their own. Even that old mad kunt Owenie Harris was crying about in the Sunday firelighter,

There was a jobs going but people diidnt want them. We had to fly in bulgarians to work .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 904 ✭✭✭Blaze420

There was a jobs going but people diidnt want them. We had to fly in bulgarians to work .

No there wasn’t jobs going, that company had planned for that already with the workers selected in advance.

Blaze420 wrote: »
    No there wasn’t jobs going, that company had planned for that already with the workers selected in advance.

There was jobs going. I saw the advertisements. I know our place was crying out for people. As I said people didnt want to work. And not only in one place either.

What part of furloughed don't you understand? Your workplace is closed or working at reduced capacity ,you receive percentage of wages until it reopens, unlike the Covid payment you can't work elsewhere.
    Those Bulgarians were coming before the quarantine,

There was jobs going. I saw the advertisements. I know our place was crying out for people. As I said people didnt want to work. And not only in one place either.

Lies, they don't want people who reside here , truth is their whole business isn't solvent by Irish standards, don't be surprised if the whole thing goes belly up in a few months.

Lies, they don't want people who reside here , truth is their whole business isn't solvent by Irish standards, don't be surprised if the whole thing goes belly up in a few months.

You keep telling yourself that to justify yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Ninthlife

Marcusm wrote: »
    I suspect most people in receipt of this payment will neither file a tax return nor ask for a balancing statement meaning the tax won’t be collected. This is a classic Irish Revenue fudge approach. The government needs the money to circulate. If everyone gets back to work early, most won’t grudge any additional tax. The longer it goes on the closer it gets to welfare.

Not true. Revenue can just issue an end of year statement based on the information on record. Social Protection will update Revenue with info on those who received PUP and system will calculate any liability owing.

Modt likely any liabilities will be collected by reduction of credits and rate bands in future years where employments exist

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭jonnny68

i thought it was only Brits who used the word furlough, never heard anyone else here say that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭AdrianII

Been working the last 7 or 8 weeks, whatever it is. I Dont know how people are begrudging furloughed people the few quid at this time. Most would 100% prefer to work than sit at home with no where to go.

If you think it was a holiday for them, think again. They still had Bill's and mortgages to pay, would you not rather see them get a hand for a few weeks or would you like to see them kicked out cos they cant pay the mortgage or pay the mortgage and cant afford to feed their kids.

• Advertisement

You keep telling yourself that to justify yourself.

You've something to do with nursing homes, maybe?? Too tight to buy PPE and going to get the hole sued off you when this is over, I'll keep guessing if you like,

Advertisement