Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Prime Video, General Discussion [Ireland]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,494 ✭✭✭✭dulpit

Again that link does not allow me to sign up unfortuantely and I have attempted to sign up but cannot get to the sign up page on it. No i am not with Sky. Please see screenshot. Thanks for replies.

Business broadband is probably the reason there...

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

How does that Eir offer work anyways? Do you get a free Prime account that you can access on a few devices and get some free deliveries or is it just Amazon Prime TV and Movies only accessible on your EirTV through a channel there?

I'm not 100% sure but I think it's just a Prime Video account. I can watch it on my Samsung TV, JVC TV, laptop and phone.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

It’s just Prime Video, but you can access on any device Prime Video supports, there’s no functionality restrictions of any kind. Effectively you are being “billed” for Prime Video through eir (in fact if you’re an eir broadband only customer, once your 12 month free trial is up that is exactly what will happen).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Back to actual Prime discussion...started 'Upload', it's like a combination of Black Mirror and the Good Place. Really good so far.

Also it seems like Prime is actively discouraging 4k at present. Normally they have a 4K section which is missing lately. I had to search out Upload to find the UHD version.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Full_Circle_81

stesaurus wrote: »
    Also it seems like Prime is actively discouraging 4k at present. Normally they have a 4K section which is missing lately. I had to search out Upload to find the UHD version.

A good few other people in this thread have made similar comments about 4k titles on Amazon. It was my understanding that there is only ever one version of a show on the platform, not separate ones with different resolutions.

If you see Upload in any section or simply search for it, it should always play in 4k. It might begin in 1080p, but after a minute or so it should resolve into its full 4k version. That's always how it's worked for me anyway with other UHD titles on Amazon.

If that's not the case, can anyone mention specific examples of shows that play in two different resolutions?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,390 ✭✭✭Bowlardo

Back to actual Prime discussion...started 'Upload', it's like a combination of Black Mirror and the Good Place. Really good so far.

Enjoyed upload. Interesting where the go with the second season

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,190 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Prime app has always been like that for me. 4k and HD version always two separate listings and i usually have to go digging to find the 4k one.

We're a couple of episodes away from finishing upload at the mo, really enjoying it.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Prime app has always been like that for me. 4k and HD version always two separate listings and i usually have to go digging to find the 4k one.

But like I was saying to @stesaurus, I don't think there are separate versions for different resolutions. I clicked on Upload and it was 1080p for the first 20 seconds or so, then switched to UHD once it buffered correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Grueller Baby

In regards to 4K, there is/was a EU request that content providers limit the amount of bandwidth used during Covid

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-51968302

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 17,990 Mod ✭✭✭✭ixoy

But like I was saying to @stesaurus, I don't think there are separate versions for different resolutions. I clicked on Upload and it was 1080p for the first 20 seconds or so, then switched to UHD once it buffered correctly.
    Same - only ever got the 4k version of a show. Perhaps it depends on the version of the Prime app you're using?

As to the 4k ruling, I've noticed Netflix's quality seems degraded the most, although I only got a 4k TV after the ruling so I'm comparing it against Amazon and Disney+. Far from convinced on that blanket ruling either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭stesaurus

Quite possibly is app related. I use the built in TV app and two versions will always show when UHD is an option.
    It doesn't automatically switch to the higher resolution either so it's a pain to go searching.

In regards to 4K, there is/was a EU request that content providers limit the amount of bandwidth used during Covid

https://www.google.ie/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/technology-51968302

I could be wrong, but I don't think that actually removes 4k from streaming, I think that the services are now just lowering the bitrate on the resolution, so you are getting a crappier version of 4k, but its still 4k. I just hope that, when all goes back to normal, they don't continue using the worse bitrates (as I'm sure they'll be tempted to do).
    Quite possibly is app related. I use the built in TV app and two versions will always show when UHD is an option.
    It doesn't automatically switch to the higher resolution either so it's a pain to go searching.

I'm also using the built-in app on my TV (2017 LG tv here). Sometimes Amazons "4k category" pops up as a row on the main screen, but I honestly always thought that it didn't matter how or where you clicked on the relevant title, if its available in 4k, it should eventually resolve itself into that resolution after a short period of buffering.

Would you have played up to a minute of the show and then press pause to see if the indication below the progress bar has changed from 1080p to UHD?
    I just can't believe Amazon would have two completely different versions of the same title up there just with different resolutions.... :confused::(
    Although, this is Amazon who classify different seasons of shows as totally different entities on their service, so maybe its not outside the realm of possibility! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 960 ✭✭✭James74

Yep, I'm the same. TV app and PS4 Pro app have separate listing for 4k for the same show. So for example I get "The Expanse Season 3 (4kUHD)" as a separate listing from The Expanse Season 3. It's a bit of a clusterfuk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,966 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I could be wrong, but I don't think that actually removes 4k from streaming, I think that the services are now just lowering the bitrate on the resolution, so you are getting a crappier version of 4k, but its still 4k. I just hope that, when all goes back to normal, they don't continue using the worse bitrates (as I'm sure they'll be tempted to do).

I don't know about Prime but Disney Plus doesn't have 4K in Europe due to the EU request. The listing for 4K HDR is gone but when I switch on a smart DNS to US Disney Plus the listing for 4K pops up

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't know about Prime but Disney Plus doesn't have 4K in Europe due to the EU request. The listing for 4K HDR is gone but when I switch on a smart DNS to US Disney Plus the listing for 4K pops up

Well I can't tell if Disney+ is actually streaming titles in 4k or not (the app is a bit bare-bones once you hit the play button), but when you click into individual titles it does say 4k next to them. Maybe its a placebo thing, if they tell you you are watching 4k, you feel like you are watching 4k....... :pac:

Yes they do have 4k, but it's just running over reduced bandwidth. So they have it in the same way Netflix and Amazon Prime currently have it. When I watched 'The Baby Yoda Show' it was far sharper than any HD content I've ever watched.

ixoy wrote:
    Yes they do have 4k, but it's just running over reduced bandwidth. So they have it in the same way Netflix and Amazon Prime currently have it. When I watched 'The Baby Yoda Show' it was far sharper than any HD content I've ever watched.

Even in the states they don't show full 4k. I remember when it launched one of the home cinema magazines ran tests and their verdict was definitely not full 4k. They described it as 3K. This was before Christmas & before the reduced bandwidth. I have most of the Marvel movies on 4k disc and there is no comparison between the discs and what disney stream. It's probably true for Netflix and prime too though. Higher than HD but not 4k.

If it sounds like I'm moaning, I'm not. Disney, Netflix and Prime all put out 4K or close enough & HDR for no extra charge when Sky Q still charge for HD & 4K and still after years of promising it, still hasn't delivered HDR. Even Sky's, Now TV charges 3 pounds extra for HD

So you believe that, with the streaming services, we've never gotten true 4k HDR++ or whatever? What about YouTube?

I'm curious as I got a 4k TV recently but not bothered with UHD discs so I don't know what I'm missing out other than comparing it to some of the inbuilt demos which are designed to look particularly sharp.
    Disney, Netflix and Prime all put out 4K or close enough & HDR for no extra charge when Sky Q still charge for HD & 4K
    Well Netflix do have an extra charge for 4k - you need to go to the top-tier plan.

ixoy wrote:
    So you believe that, with the streaming services, we've never gotten true 4k HDR++ or whatever? What about YouTube?

I don't think they deliver full 4k. Having said that I don't find 4k that remarkable. Well it is at first but after a few days you sort of get used to it. HD upscale on a good 4k TV can be pretty good. The truly amazing thing for me is HDR. This improves the viewing experience for everyone regardless of where you sit.
    ixoy wrote:
    Well Netflix do have an extra charge for 4k - you need to go to the top-tier plan.

You are right but another way to look at it is you get 4k free if you want 4 screens. On a side note I'm getting Netflix Premium 4k for about 8 euro per month by paying Mexican money on revolut.

I don't think they deliver full 4k. Having said that I don't find 4k that remarkable. Well it is at first but after a few days you sort of get used to it. HD upscale on a good 4k TV can be pretty good. The truly amazing thing for me is HDR. This improves the viewing experience for everyone regardless of where you sit.

I have to agree with you there on that. At first, I was all about the 4k and very dismissive of HDR. But like you said, even upscaled 1080p can looked quite amazing on a TV and I'd often struggle to notice the difference between a good upscale and proper 4k content. You'd need to be switching back and forth between a HD and UHD version of a movie to really spot the increased detail most of the time. But well employed HDR really is a game-changer. I don't think it works its magic for every single title out there, but the difference between HDR and non-HDR versions can sometimes be quite staggering.
    I'm not saying that 4k content isn't an improvement, it may be much more obvious on bigger TVs (mine is 55 inch), but HDR brings a lot more to the table.

For example, I was doing a comparison between my blu-ray of The Princess Bride and a 4k stream of it with Dolby Vision. Yes, the 4k aspect made the blu-ray actually look a little soft, but it was the HDR that made the biggest difference. The stream looked like it had so much more life and depth to the picture, with the blu-ray looking bland or washed out in comparison.
    I still think normal blu-rays offer better *quality* picture and sound (less compression), but for the most part, its hard to argue with streaming 4k HDR.

Just to bring it all back to Amazon, I do think that the service offers great value in that they charge a low low price for just the one tier which includes 4k and HDR content, while Netflix charges a premium for that privilege. And maybe its just me, but I think their 1080p content looks far superior to the same supposed quality on Netflix. Many times I was convinced I was watching UHD content on Amazon, but it was actually only 1080p. They must use less compression in their streams compared to Netflix.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭Ethereal Cereal

Even in the states they don't show full 4k. I remember when it launched one of the home cinema magazines ran tests and their verdict was definitely not full 4k. They described it as 3K. This was before Christmas & before the reduced bandwidth. I have most of the Marvel movies on 4k disc and there is no comparison between the discs and what disney stream. It's probably true for Netflix and prime too though. Higher than HD but not 4k.

If it sounds like I'm moaning, I'm not. Disney, Netflix and Prime all put out 4K or close enough & HDR for no extra charge when Sky Q still charge for HD & 4K and still after years of promising it, still hasn't delivered HDR. Even Sky's, Now TV charges 3 pounds extra for HD

Its unbelievable, isnt it? :confused: there is an extra charge for HD content and an extra additional charge for 4k. I've ordered a Xiaomi Mi Box, as soon as it arrived Im cancelling my sky subscription and watching everything through this.

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭cathy427

cathy427 wrote: »
    Question for those on UK version - Am on the UK version, address is PM and payment is revolut which also has PM address. However it wont accept the revolut for prime music - does this mean I cant rent stuff shows/movies either?

For anyone that got the prime music working would anyone have any idea what I am doing wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

In the US, UK and other countries the Prime Video app (as well as others like Disney+) is linked to Apple’s TV app so that the various shows and movie you watch are all on the one Up Next.

We don’t get that option here (unless there is something I am missing and I assume it a legal issue and not that Apple, Amazon, etc couldn't be bothered.

There is probably no way to actually know this with without bracing in management at Apple but does anyone have a guess as to when we might get this option?

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭icdg

I actually really do think it’s a case of “couldn’t be bothered”. Can’t think of what the legal issue; if any would be. If there were competition concerns it would have affected the U.K. too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,201 ✭✭✭Spon Farmer

icdg wrote: »
    I actually really do think it’s a case of “couldn’t be bothered”. Can’t think of what the legal issue; if any would be. If there were competition concerns it would have affected the U.K. too.

There would be some form of legal arrangement to have the apps interacting - they would be sharing data and access.

Or maybe it is an issue of user data protection. Maybe Apple have to get at sorted her with authorities or feel it just isn’t worth it.

An Apple support agent told me last night she wouldn’t know who to ask about this (way above her ting in the ladder) but that if enough people ask Apple for a thing in the feedback form that Apple do listen.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

I've just signed up to prime - everything I've clicked into on prime video is unavailable in my location. Is this a mistake/error I can fix? What's the point in a streaming service where everything seems to be unavailable. Any help is appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,730 ✭✭✭lertsnim

What are you using to access Prime Video?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,116 ✭✭✭dinneenp

Hi,
    I'm in a similar boat. Would love to get this resolved but not sure if it's possible.

- I get Amazon Prime free as I have Broadband and mobile with Eir.
    - Prime Video works on my mobile.
    -I have Amazon Firestick
    - when go to watch anything I get 'Video unavailable. Your device's current location settings might be incorrect or unsupported. To verify location settings and view supported locations, please to to https://www.primevideo.com/help?nodeId=2-2-65170
    Error code: 5505
    - within the Prime app on Firestick there's no settings options.
    - Within Firestick settings there is 'Amazon Account' - deregister your Amazon account and register a new one. I don't want to do this as I have apps etc. set up that took time.
    - on Firestick 'Prime Video' it links to https://www.amazon.co.uk/mc to manage my membership.
    - on https://www.amazon.co.uk/mc it's telling me 'You are not a member of Prime'
    - If I go to the Eir website it says 'congratulations, you have registered for Amazon Prime video....

So do I have to cast from my phone every time I want to watch Amazon Prime video?
    Thanks,
    Pa.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

lertsnim wrote: »
    What are you using to access Prime Video?

I don't really understand you. I had a regular amazon account online and I just upgraded to prime today. It's not through a firestick or mobile if that's what you mean.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,939 ✭✭✭maxwell smart

I don't really understand you. I had a regular amazon account online and I just upgraded to prime today. It's not through a firestick or mobile if that's what you mean.

I had the same issue until I discovered you need to go to primevideo.com to watch from Ireland. There should be a small box under where it says 'can't watch in your location' pointing to the website. But it took me ages to notice it

Advertisement