Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Argos RIP thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Should have a gofundme or a Patreon set up witness. People would donate for a fully operational service. Make it subscription based.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,023 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

iwillhtfu wrote: »
    Don't be giving us your excuses, the crowd demands action. :D

Twas good while it lasted, thanks.

Tell you what, if everyone comes help me finish moving house I'll make sure to fix it :pac:
    brightkane wrote: »
    Surely you can delegate to one of your minions to keep it going :D

My minions these days are a 3 year old and a 1 year old, while the 3 year old can buy and sell me already, we havent quite gotten to nodeJS yet :D
    RossieMan wrote: »
    Should have a gofundme or a Patreon set up witness. People would donate for a fully operational service. Make it subscription based.

To be honest I never thought people would be that bothered about it! I do have a Github Sponsors page (basically the same as Patreon), but it's for my work with electronics and Arduino stuff. My worry about it being a paid service is that people would, correctly, expect faster response times (me, not the website) and probably improvements that I just know I would really struggle to priortise the time for

If people are really missing it, after the move is over and done with and Argos opens up again, I will take another craic at fixing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Tell you what, if everyone comes help me finish moving house I'll make sure to fix it :pac:

My minions these days are a 3 year old and a 1 year old, while the 3 year old can buy and sell me already, we havent quite gotten to nodeJS yet :D

To be honest I never thought people would be that bothered about it! I do have a Github Sponsors page (basically the same as Patreon), but it's for my work with electronics and Arduino stuff. My worry about it being a paid service is that people would, correctly, expect faster response times (me, not the website) and probably improvements that I just know I would really struggle to priortise the time for

If people are really missing it, after the move is over and done with and Argos opens up again, I will take another craic at fixing it.

Much appreciated witness, you're a star!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭deiseindublin

Good luck with move, most torturous thing we've ever done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,215 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Here's a UK argos price tracker. It might help with guaging the original prices here, dunno.
    I haven't used it, just saw it.
    https://www.pricehistory.co.uk/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,231 ✭✭✭corkie

Hi,

I am writing to update you on our plans to reopen some Argos stores in the Republic of Ireland from Monday 18th May, in line with the latest guidance from government. Our number one priority is keeping our customers and colleagues safe. We are therefore making a number of changes to our shops and how you shop with us before we reopen.

From Monday 18th May, Argos stores on high streets and in retail parks will start to reopen. Stores in shopping centres will remain closed, in line with government guidance. We will start with our usual store opening hours and will review these over the next few weeks as we see how people are shopping with us – we may extend opening hours in the future if you need us to and if it is safe to do so. For more details, please visit the Store Locator and opening hours page on our website from Monday 18th May.

When our stores are open again, there will be a range of measures in place to keep everyone safe.

There will be a limit on the number of customers allowed in store at any one time. Customers will need to queue a safe distance away from each other outside the store and there will be colleagues on hand to help with this. Wherever possible, we will put signs outside and inside stores and clear markings on shop floors to help you know what a safe distance is. All stores will have perspex safety screens at the tills and our colleagues will be following social distancing guidelines at all times, including when they pick items from the store warehouse and bring them to the collection counter. This might mean it takes them a little longer than usual to serve you – please bear with them, they are doing everything they can to help you under truly exceptional circumstances.

For the time being, you will not be able to browse the Argos catalogue in store or use stock checkers to make a purchase in store, without having reserved it online first. We will keep this under review and if it is safe to do so, we will start offering these services again. Our jewellery counters will not be open for safety reasons, but you can still shop and reserve jewellery and watches online.

You can still shop with Argos online and have selected products delivered to your doorstep. Last time I wrote to you, I said that we had significantly increased the number of deliveries we can make every day and the number of products we can deliver to you. We have been busy adding even more items so you can find lots of what you need online and get it delivered.

Now that our stores are opening again, if you need to return something you will be able to do so. We extended our returns period for products eligible for our 30 days return promise, so any purchases made from 1st March 2020 can be returned up to 30 days after our Argos stores start reopening from 18th May. If you do need to return something, any items will need to be unopened, unused and in their original packaging, with proof of purchase - in line with our usual returns policy.

I appreciate some of these changes may be inconvenient for you and I am sorry for this. We are doing everything possible to do the right thing for all of our customers and colleagues and these steps are necessary to keep everyone safe. Thank you to our colleagues for doing their best to serve you during this very difficult time.

Best wishes,

Mike Coupe, Chief Executive

Got the above email tonight @6pm

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,232 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Surely Argos don't come under criteria for opening on the 18th do they?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

Well if the likes of harvey Norman and DID can open, I can’t see why Argos can’t tbh, of them all, Argos is probably best set up to operate under social distancing restrictions.

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well if the likes of harvey Norman and DID can open, I can’t see why Argos can’t tbh, of them all, Argos is probably best set up to operate under social distancing restrictions.

Was in a MP store on 23-03-2020 actually 20th on receipt and they had social distancing already in practice. 7 days before lockdown.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,375 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

SCOOP 64 wrote: »

they may be only selling stuff that qualifies, there site still has most stuff off limits.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

Just got an email from their CEO as part of their database emailing and he says they open from Monday 18th with usual set of rules etc on social distancing and staff protection.

However .. he didn’t mention when they will open the Reservation system. Anyone know what the plan. Have my eye on something and want to jump in ASAP to reserve it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭bromley52

Masala wrote: »
    Just got an email from their CEO as part of their database emailing and he says they open from Monday 18th with usual set of rules etc on social distancing and staff protection.

However .. he didn’t mention when they will open the Reservation system. Anyone know what the plan. Have my eye on something and want to jump in ASAP to reserve it.
    What is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Masala

bromley52 wrote: »
    What is it?

..... a Hair Clippers !!!! keep it to yourself- otherwise everyone will want one !!!

corkie wrote: »
    Was in a MP store on 23-03-2020 actually 20th on receipt and they had social distancing already in practice. 7 days before lockdown.
    ..... a Hair Clippers !!!! keep it to yourself- otherwise everyone will want one !!!

Picked this up 620/8394 but was also lucky to find a barber still open on that day. So didn't need to use it on my head. Just a well kept beard. Started growing around that time.
    Braun Beard Trimmer and Hair Clipper BT 3040/3240 620/8394 €30.99

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

I think a lot of people have their eye on particular items that are likely to go straight away. If shops are open Mon morning for collection ( no ordering in store) surely they have to open it at some time today Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,307 ✭✭✭dan786

Any one hear anything about online reservations?

They cant leave it till tomorrow. You can brown terminals in store so doubt they are going to open without any customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

dan786 wrote: »
    Any one hear anything about online reservations?

They cant leave it till tomorrow. You can brown terminals in store so doubt they are going to open without any customers.

Early am tomorrow For website

No browsers or catalogs in store

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Early am tomorrow For website

No browsers or catalogs in store

How early, do you know? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 971 ✭✭✭arrianalexander

How early, do you know? :)

No idea just staff told early morning. Obviously that's what they were told , the website could go up tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 22 watchman.ie

Stores now live to reseverve.....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 watchman.ie

Stores now live to reserve.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭Lashes28

Will only let me reserve some things

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Has anyone been able to reserve anything? I can't even check for stock :/

This is it wrote: »
    Has anyone been able to reserve anything? I can't even check for stock :/

Yeah reserved Xbox controller and headset for my son. But won't let me check stock in any of the hair clippers

Lashes28 wrote: »
    Yeah reserved Xbox controller and headset for my son. But won't let me check stock in any of the hair clippers

Nevermind after a couple of tries I got the hair clippers

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭robinbird

Was looking for weights. Everything coming up as out of stock

• Registered Users Posts: 5,242 ✭✭✭This is it

Not getting too far myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭Brian017

Kilkenny store doesn’t seem to be on the list anymore??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

Rubbish website to try and navigate. They haven't updated it (unlike the UK one) for a decade I'd say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭teflon

Cannot reserve a single thing and have been trying since 5!

Advertisement