Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin 15 is going to get a lot more congested.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,066 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Phil.x wrote: »
    I thought I was the only one who had those thoughts.

Just back from a walk through that slum ongar and I can honestly say I'd rather be homeless than live in some of those apartment kips, also the locals are trying their best to keep the community spread of covid-19 truly alive.
    Mod: there is no need for the inflammatory language, please improve your posting style.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

More 5 story apartment blocks near coolmine road, and its obvious from house sales that more are in the planning all over.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,744 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

I have to say, the area is going to be an absolute mess. Traffic is already terrible in the area. When all of these new builds are populated, it's going to be absolute chaos. I honestly have no idea how all of these developments are being given the go ahead.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

beauf wrote: »
    It exceeds it now.

3 out of the last 4 times I was on that train someone fainted and/or got sick. I've seen the train stopped for ambulances and people getting sick more times in the last 24 months than the previous 24yrs.

That's with a 3 carriage intercity train every 30 mins, the whole point of Dart Expansions is to allow 8 carriage dart trains every ten minutes. It's a massive increase in capacity. I totally agree that the the M3 Parkway is massively under served, but that's not an excuse to stop all further development. The heavy rail exists, we simply need the rolling stock to account for the demand.

They need to

Fix Connolly
    Improve the Signalling
    Replace crossings with bridges.
    Get more stock.
    Not go broke.

Because this crisis will punch a massive hole in the budget. It will continue to decimate revenue for public transport for at least a decade. With WFH now rolled out to everyone who could possibly do it.

We've been here before...

"...Future of Metro West

In late 2011, the Irish Government withdrew funding for the Metro West project due to budgetary constraints arising from the global financial crisis and recession.

In 2016, Metro West was excluded from the National Transport Authority's Transport Strategy For The Greater Dublin Area 2016-2035. The future of the project is highly ambiguous due to this, as it is not now due to be considered for government funding until after 2035...."

They'll have 5 mins darts before they do anything with the maynooth line. Our best hope was with Leo and he won't touch it because he doesn't want to be seen to be favouring local issues.

• Advertisement

At least we are still ahead of ourselves with congestion and more building.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 7,838 Mod ✭✭✭✭liamog

The city center signalling project is almost finished, the Dart Expansion programme covers the level crossing replacements and new rolling stock.
    CIE may be having operational difficulties, but fortunately the captial programme and rolling stock comes from the NTA so isn't directly affected.

Metro West was always likely to be long fingered when Metro North was scrapped. You don't normally start at a Metro System with an oribital line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,571 ✭✭✭raheny red

Any plans for the sports hub in Abbotstown? Badly in need of better transport links. Fantastic facility let down by an awful bus service.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭Phil.x

raheny red wrote: »
    Any plans for the sports hub in Abbotstown? Badly in need of better transport links. Fantastic facility let down by an awful bus service.

Car is king outside the m50.

• Advertisement

And inside of it.

Not great for teenagers. Or their parents having to whisk them around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭Murt10

They need to

They'll have 5 mins darts before they do anything with the maynooth line. Our best hope was with Leo and he won't touch it because he doesn't want to be seen to be favouring local issues.

Same with that other massive great white elephant we're lumbered with because of him.

Any fool could see that it would have been infinitely cheaper to build the new National Children's Hospital on a green grass site on the grounds of Blanch Hospital, rather than shoehorning it into an already overdeveloped and totally unsuitable site in Jamess.

But instead of acting like a leader, Leo washed his hands of it as he didn't want to be seen to be favoring his constituency.

Now, we the taxpayer, will be lumbered with paying for his stupidity and cowardice for many years to come. Money that could have bee much better spent on improving our health services, but is now going to some massive building corporation. And we still haven't a clue what the final bill will be. All we know is that costs are rising astronomically, and it's still not finished, whereas a new purpose build hospital would have been long since completed.

Thanks Leo! You're a bloody marvel!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,164 ✭✭✭hardybuck

People now asking for the park to be closed to traffic. It'll either make the traffic worse or the trains worse you'd feel.

I'm thinking I'm to tired of all these poorly thought out ideas, that only suit a minority. I think I need a means to avoid both.

If they finish the greenway to the Docklands that's a nice alternative for cycling. If there isn't anti social activity on it.

I'm really thinking ebike or escooter and try get WFH the most of the rest of the week. Though if I'm only going in 2-3 times a week I could just cycle the whole way as I did before. Assuming nothing else breaks down on me. Which is what put off the bike in the first place.

If there's a recession the same or worse than last time it won't be an issue for a few years. Numbers commuting will fall off a cliff. WFH will increase. If the economy bounces, the train and driving will be torture.

Assuming I'm still working and need to commute.

I'm thinking I'm to tired of all these poorly thought out ideas, that only suit a minority. I think I need a means to avoid both.

If they finish the greenway to the Docklands that's a nice alternative for cycling. If there isn't anti social activity on it.

I'm really thinking ebike or escooter and try get WFH the most of the rest of the week. Though if I'm only going in 2-3 times a week I could just cycle the whole way as I did before. Assuming nothing else breaks down on me. Which is what put off the bike in the first place.

If there's a recession the same or worse than last time it won't be an issue for a few years. Numbers commuting will fall off a cliff. WFH will increase. If the economy bounces, the train and driving will be torture.

Assuming I'm still working and need to commute.

I'd consider cycling to the Luas at the moment through the park on an ebike. The hill on the way home is not something I'd like to have to face at the end of a day!

The quays and college green would terrify me so hopefully they make haste and complete the Liffey cycle route.

The Luas is crammed though hard to get on it. What do you do with the bike. Technically not even folding bikes are not allowed in the Luas. Though if it's small you could throw it in a bag.

EBike solves the wind and hill problem. Or an escooter. You might as well not bother with the Luas. The Luas is considerable slower then cycling around the city center. Walking isn't that much slower.

No cars in the park the last few weeks has been fantastic.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,167 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

hardybuck wrote: »
    People now asking for the park to be closed to traffic. It'll either make the traffic worse or the trains worse you'd feel.

They aren't though.

Hurrache wrote: »
    They aren't though.

What?

• Advertisement

What?

The post I quoted made it obvious. They aren't calling to have it closed to traffic.

The post I quoted made it obvious. They aren't calling to have it closed to traffic.

Who is they?

The OPW is closing the parking on Chesterfield avenue. There aim is to reduce the number of people using the park as a place to dump their car whilst commuting into town.

I used to regularly drive from Ongar to the Park to excercise or walk the dog, now that parking will be cramped and difficult I'll probably avoid doing this.

There also porterstown, catherines park, and that one at clonsilla. I assume dogs are allowed there. We'd have done the same driven to Pjoenix park with family young and old. We'd use it a lot and most of the facilities, and as a transport link.

Who knows what the OPW will do.

Yes, I have noticed the other parks. Is the parking at St Catherines opening up again for nomal people.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

liamog wrote: »
    The OPW is closing the parking on Chesterfield avenue. There aim is to reduce the number of people using the park as a place to dump their car whilst commuting into town.

I used to regularly drive from Ongar to the Park to excercise or walk the dog, now that parking will be cramped and difficult I'll probably avoid doing this.

Have you got a source for that? I can't find anything re OPW closing Chesterfield for parking to stop commuter parking.

Commuter parking is definitely an issue in PP, I think they probably need to go to timed parking, maybe 3 hours free during working hours. Also I think they should close parking on the non zoo side of Chesterfield and move both on-path cycle paths into that space.

While they are at it, they should get the Garda HQ out of there. The guards have been consistently bad neighbours in terms of parking anywhere they please in and around the HQ, never mind the Garda only parking right in front of the zoo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Phibsboro

They aren't though.

I'm not sure if you aware, but there has been a big online petition over the last week to close the main throughway of the park, see here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/thousands-seek-end-of-through-traffic-in-dublin-s-phoenix-park-1.4254388

They could shut down commuter parking if they wanted. They did before on that bit at parkgate Street.

Who is they?

You're chasing your own tail.

Phibsboro wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you aware, but there has been a big online petition over the last week to close the main throughway of the park, see here - https://www.irishtimes.com/news/environment/thousands-seek-end-of-through-traffic-in-dublin-s-phoenix-park-1.4254388

Throughway, you said it yourself. It's not a petition to close the park to traffic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,758 ✭✭✭cython

Phibsboro wrote: »
    Have you got a source for that? I can't find anything re OPW closing Chesterfield for parking to stop commuter parking.

Commuter parking is definitely an issue in PP, I think they probably need to go to timed parking, maybe 3 hours free during working hours. Also I think they should close parking on the non zoo side of Chesterfield and move both on-path cycle paths into that space.

While they are at it, they should get the Garda HQ out of there. The guards have been consistently bad neighbours in terms of parking anywhere they please in and around the HQ, never mind the Garda only parking right in front of the zoo.

http://phoenixpark.ie/opw-announces-social-distancing-plan-for-the-phoenix-park/

Above states "Instillation (sic) of one-way cycle lanes on the hard shoulder of Chesterfield Avenue to facilitate 2m social distancing." which is pretty incompatible within allowing parking in same.

Advertisement