Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Work From Home becomes a thing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

Examples of top paid / high risk jobs in here https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/top-paid-high-risk-jobs
    - there may be more recent studies ... its just an example.
    And simple computer programmers roles do have a 48% automation risk on that table. Then, I'd assume some other IT related roles (e.g. PM that only moves a pen from one place to another) would be replaced way before that ;)

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

mvl wrote: »
    Examples of top paid / high risk jobs in here https://willrobotstakemyjob.com/top-paid-high-risk-jobs
    And simple computer programmers roles do have a 48% automation risk on that table. Then, I'd assume some other IT related roles (e.g. PM that only moves a pen from one place to another) would be replaced way before that ;)
    There are very few senior management jobs there, I'd say you could base it along the lines that jobs that are more strategic and tactical would be more difficult to automate

mvl wrote: »

Looks like a load of sh1t really.......

15. Judges, Magistrate Judges, and Magistrates.....40%
    16. Elevator Installers and Repairers........39%
    17. Electrical and Electronics Repairers, Powerhouse, Substation.........38%
    18. Detectives and Criminal Investigators ........ 34%

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Augeo wrote: »
    Looks like a load of sh1t really.......

18. Detectives and Criminal Investigators ........ 34%

Minority report springs to mind :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why do you need to feel you belong to a company in the first place? My family, my friends and my local community very much so, but a company no. It’s an economic arrangement, I’m not there to socialize or be popular, I’m there to do a job and get well paid for doing it.
    Was using the wording of the poster I was replying to.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

KyussB wrote: »
    Was using the wording of the poster I was replying to.

Corporate culture and language is complete bollox, I never felt a sense of belonging to a capitalist entity in my life and I never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Support roles in an organisation are typically:

- Facilities ( reception, building maintenance, catering )
    - Financial operations ( payroll, procurement )
    - Customer services
    - IT infrastructure operations ( server support, networking, user devices, application support )
    - HR operations

All of these can be outsourced to service providers. Service providers will soon be able to automate the provision of these services at scale, especially IT. For the rest, salaries will likely stagnate, as the value add won't be there.

If I were in any of those areas above, I wouldn't want to permanently WFH, nor would I if I was a contractor in any area of the business ( unless I was well connected internally ).

Biker79 wrote: »

- Customer services
    - IT infrastructure operations ( server support, networking, user devices, application support )
    - HR operations

All of these can be outsourced to service providers. Service providers will soon be able to automate the provision of these services at scale, especially IT. For the rest, salaries will likely stagnate, as the value add won't be there.

If I were in any of those areas above, I wouldn't want to permanently WFH, nor would I if I was a contractor in any area of the business ( unless I was well connected internally ).

Where I work all the IT stuff you mention is outsourced.

The only permanent.staff in the IT department manage the outsourced service providers

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭Tec Diver

In a previous job, I worked from home for over four years, only going to the office to socalise one day every 2-3 weeks. Difficult to get a day when there was a good group of colleagues in the office though.

I would happily relocate to Portugal/Malta or similar and work from there if I knew in advance which days I was required in the office and could get a cheap return flight.
    Having said all of that, I'm starting a new job in July and that will involve going to customer sites 4 days a week, so WFH more than a day a week not really an option for me in the foreseeable...

Stheno wrote: »
    Where I work all the IT stuff you mention is outsourced.

The only permanent.staff in the IT department manage the outsourced service providers

Exactly. The MSPs will automate their services, in order to grow and remain competitive. The Internal IT staff have been relegated to managing those providers ( emails and a few meetings ). No IT skills required there and consequently, their salaries will stagnate.

Which is also why you see masters in cybersecurity, dev ops and data analytics being heavily subsidised. (https://www.ictskillnet.ie/ www.springboardcourses.iefor example )

• Advertisement

Exactly. The MSPs will automate their services, in order to grow and remain competitive. The Internal IT staff have been relegated to managing those providers ( emails and a few meetings ). No IT skills required there and consequently, their salaries will stagnate.
    )

Eh I think you might be underestimating the effort involved in managing very heavily outsourced IT environments

Emails and a few meetings indeed :pac:

- Customer services
    - HR operations

All of these can be outsourced to service providers............

What % of the roles you mention make up the total workforce in these organisations?

Anywhere I've worked has a handful of HR folk for 1000+ employees, outsourced IT, a few in payroll, no customer service effectively ........ facilities etc all outsourced.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 379 ✭✭Mike3287

What % of the roles you mention make up the total workforce in these organisations?

Anywhere I've worked has a handful of HR folk for 1000+ employees, outsourced IT, a few in payroll, no customer service effectively ........ facilities etc all outsourced.

Does it matter?

Any wfh role can be outsourced

Mike3287 wrote: »
    Does it matter?

Any wfh role can be outsourced

Well it sounds like he's talking about days gone by or something and a tiny minority of the workforce.

Any role can be outsourced, wfh or not.

I can give you 2 examples that I'm directly familiar with - Vodafone and Microsoft in Sandyford. Between 50 and 65% of staff in both those operations are external service providers.

The rest are permanent staff who are close to the business revenue stream - mostly senior management/ sales and marketing...some engineering.

I've heard of 70% in some large multi-nationals - Facebook/ Google

Stheno wrote: »
    Eh I think you might be underestimating the effort involved in managing very heavily outsourced IT environments

Emails and a few meetings indeed :pac:

For an organisation that has correctly implemented outsourcing, that's all there is to it.

If they have to fill gaps in the service, well then yes, there is a lot of work. But that's a fault of the MSP/ contract/ implementation.

I can give you 2 examples that I'm directly familiar with - Vodafone and Microsoft in Sandyford. Between 50 and 65% of staff in both those operations are external service providers.

The rest are permanent staff who are close to the business revenue stream - mostly senior management/ sales and marketing...some engineering.

I've heard of 70% in some large multi-nationals - Facebook/ Google

So they are already contractors?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,047 ✭✭✭afatbollix

Got the word from the boss that the office will stay closed till September.

So I'm going to go in and get my chair :D

We have a lad who is a contractor for us who lives in Bangkok. He just joins our stand up at noon local time and its 6 pm there.

It's easy for software companies tbh, We all have scrum masters checking up on people and have our daily calls to see what we are doing that day plan. Maybe other industries need to adapt to stand-ups/ To do boards etc. Learn from other industries.

Tbh I'm busier now than I was! In the office, I was the go-to person for problems so it meant I was taken here there and everywhere to sort something out. Whereas now Im getting my work done and able to push on with other tasks I've been putting off.

So they are already contractors?

Service providers are contracted to the organisation. They are comprised of individual contractors and their entities ( own business or umbrella company ), and service companies who have either permanent staff or staff contracted to them on their books, working at that site.

None are employees of the main organisation.

All are (in the main) doing roles that are not directly revenue-generating.

Service providers are contracted to the organisation. They are comprised of individual contractors and their entities ( own business or umbrella company ), and service companies who have either permanent staff or staff contracted to them on their books, working at that site.

None are employees of the main organisation.

All are (in the main) doing roles that are not directly revenue-generating.

And these are the type of rolls that you reckon will soon be automated at scale? So wfh or not they are doomed, in your view?

• Advertisement

And these are the type of rolls that you reckon will soon be automated at scale? So wfh or not they are doomed, in your view?

In a non-unionised environment ( which is most tech companies and service-based multinationals ), business support roles sit on a sliding scale. At one end some are likely doomed. At the other, they are more susceptible.

The closer your job is to the revenue stream of the organisation, the better the conditions will be. The further, (which is most support roles), the more susceptible it will be to automation and other cost-saving measures like permanent WFH. In my view.

In a non-unionised environment ( which is most tech companies and service-based multinationals ), business support roles sit on a sliding scale. At one end some are likely doomed. At the other, they are more susceptible.

The closer your job is to the revenue stream of the organisation, the better the conditions will be. The further, (which is most support roles), the more susceptible it will be to automation and other cost-saving measures like permanent WFH. In my view.

But that's not really a WFH issue. Its what you reckon will be automated. Regardless of WFH or not some roles will/might get automated.

If WFH is cheaper for the organisation there's less reward (financial) to invest in autonomous solutions also.

No, it's pointing out that WFH may end up being a bit of a poisoned chalice.

It's pointing out that a business may see it as a cost-saving opportunity in the same way that they would consider automation for certain tasks. ( Ebay/ Apple/ Amazon customer service roles are an example ).

Anyway - its something to think about. Not an issue for some ...but it may well be for others.

There's always an incentive to automate tasks if it delivers more value - WFH or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

No, it's pointing out that WFH may end up being a bit of a poisoned chalice.

Of course it is, people are ignoring the fact there is a whole economy of people who lose out if WFH becomes the norm. From the bus driver to the coffee shop and the cleaners who clean your building.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭gnf_ireland

I am not sure many companies are ready for full time remote working for their entire workforce any time soon. I think we all accept it is exceptional times and while it may assist company speed up the move towards remote working, most will not adopt it completely.

However, I do see many companies adopting a partial remote working week, potentially 60% as a general rule. How long it will take for 100% to be the norm is another matter.

The reasons why I think this are:
    1. Very few companies have had to onboard new staff remotely at this stage. When this does kick in, it will highlight additional challenges for both HR and the teams they are being onboarded to. The 'ramp-up' time in a lot of cases are likely to be much longer
    2. Wait until the whole graduate recruitment or interim's thing kicks in. Doing that remotely will be a major challenge
    3. Many people simply do not have suitable working environments at home. The number of people I know who are working from the kitchen table or taking calls in the kids bedrooms at the moment is crazy. All of this is accepted now, but likely not once all of this becomes normalised
    4. Managers in particular are struggling, as they feel they are losing control. Their normal ways of working are eroded and they need to be replaced. Yes of course they can be replaced, but I would be amazed if 50% of managers across the country are telling their management teams that the remote working is causing a loss in productivity etc, just so they can get back to the status quo as soon as possible. If enough people say it, people will believe it, whether its true or not

But I also agree that long term, fully remote working is likely to become more outsourced/contractor driven and in many cases the ability to be able to communicate effectively via conference/video calls will become an important skill. The same with the ability to build 'virtual' relationships. I see more 'company all-hands' conferences from time to time - but will very much depend on the industry and how quickly they adapt

BTW - something I also see triggered from the COVID crises is the demise of cash. It was of course happening before this, but is effectively on steroids at this stage. I suspect in 2 years, cash may be nearly seen as the proceeds of crime :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭mvl

While no one is saying that full time wfh would be adopted in companies across the board, full time wfh can be adopted in a high percentage (higher than 80%) in certain departments.
    I
    1. Very few companies have had to onboard new staff remotely at this stage. When this does kick in, it will highlight additional challenges for both HR and the teams they are being onboarded to. The 'ramp-up' time in a lot of cases are likely to be much longer
    2. Wait until the whole graduate recruitment or interim's thing kicks in. Doing that remotely will be a major challenge
    Think part of the points 1,2 must be first addressed in 3rd level education: it is not normal for some of the graduates to take so long to be onboarded; curricula should adapt / improve...don't know how long that may take though. Also, at that level, trainees end up supervised by someone average in a team, or even a scrum master // can be part of the 20% supporting staff that ends up temporary onsite (while rest of the staff does wfh 100%).
    For senior roles, I would not expect any onboarding onsite taking more than few weeks; besides, seniors should also be able to manage any necessary handovers in virtual setups. Just that their productivity needs to be benchmarked while in probation (but I am sure there is tooling to support that)
    Not really challenges for either, but opportunities ...

• Registered Users Posts: 487 ✭✭Jim Root

afatbollix wrote: »
    Got the word from the boss that the office will stay closed till September.

So I'm going to go in and get my chair :D

We have a lad who is a contractor for us who lives in Bangkok. He just joins our stand up at noon local time and its 6 pm there.

It's easy for software companies tbh, We all have scrum masters checking up on people and have our daily calls to see what we are doing that day plan. Maybe other industries need to adapt to stand-ups/ To do boards etc. Learn from other industries.

Tbh I'm busier now than I was! In the office, I was the go-to person for problems so it meant I was taken here there and everywhere to sort something out. Whereas now Im getting my work done and able to push on with other tasks I've been putting off.

Genuine question, where can I read more about stand ups....how do they work in a remote environment??

Jim Root wrote: »
    Genuine question, where can I read more about stand ups....how do they work in a remote environment??

Video

Otherwise same format applies

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭Sunny Disposition

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why do you need to feel you belong to a company in the first place? My family, my friends and my local community very much so, but a company no. It’s an economic arrangement, I’m not there to socialize or be popular, I’m there to do a job and get well paid for doing it.

Many years ago I started a company with a handful of guys who I felt an obligation to. Over time it grew and grew and eventually I had to realise that my workers were just hired help and I couldn’t possibly form an attachment with them all. No one ‘belongs’ to or with a company when it goes over a certain size unfortunately. It’s an economic arrangement that has to suit both parties, it can be as hard for employers to accept this as employees,.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Jim Root wrote: »

They work exactly the same remotely as non-remotely.
    Have a read up on XP, scrum or kanban to get info on it.

Advertisement