Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

If Work From Home becomes a thing...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,976 ✭✭✭spaceHopper

bilbot79 wrote: »
    This isn't unfeasible at all

Dublin gaff 550 splits into

Irish countryside gaff - 300
    Pad 1 abroad - 125
    Pad 2 abroad -125

What's up doc?

What about the bank? Will they not want their money back, your mortgage paid off fine but otherwise dream on

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

I see a headline today on the Irish Times that the government is considering income tax benefits for working from home.

I don't have an online subscription to the Irish Times so can't see beyond the headline. Anyone have any details on this?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neames wrote: »
    I see a headline today on the Irish Times that the government is considering income tax benefits for working from home.

I don't have an online subscription to the Irish Times so can't see beyond the headline. Anyone have any details on this?

If you post the link I can post the details here

• Registered Users Posts: 25,768 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

This week, I got my first request to investigate trackerware software for one company I'm supporting.

Fwiw.

I'm sure there will be more.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

What is trackerware?
    If it's time monitoring/productivity monitoring I'm sure most companies have this already

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,578 ✭✭✭quokula

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Why do you need to feel you belong to a company in the first place? My family, my friends and my local community very much so, but a company no. It’s an economic arrangement, I’m not there to socialize or be popular, I’m there to do a job and get well paid for doing it.

Friends and family sure, but local community is just a coincidence of where I could afford accommodation and who else could afford a place nearby, I don't understand how that's any different to the "economic arrangement" of a company.

My colleagues are all people with a shared interest because we all chose to go into the field we work in. We also have a shared common purpose as we work together to achieve our goals every day, and we've built up a strong trust in each other whilst doing that. Why would I feel more "belonging" to people who happen to live physically near me than those people?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭Neames

Stheno wrote: »
    If you post the link I can post the details here

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/ireland/irish-news/next-government-could-bring-in-work-from-home-tax-incentives-taoiseach-1.4262362

There you go Stheno thanks very much

• Registered Users Posts: 2,017 ✭✭✭tastyt

That’s very interesting, if there are government incentives given to companies to encourage wfh then it’s definitely here to stay.

Really makes sense in regards to public transport, traffic , pedestrianising some city streets and making them more pleasurable places and maybe , in time , rent and property prices .

I can’t really see a downside where it’s possible as long as productivity remains similar

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Neames wrote: »

Here you go :)
    A Government spokesman added: “Current Government policy is to encourage firms to allow more home-working and also more flexible working. It could therefore make sense for the next government to look at ways of encouraging more home-working in the long run. And the proposal for tax incentives, suggested by the NBRU, is certainly worth considering.”

Mr Martin also told Mr O’Leary that all options must be considered in helping public transport deal with the effects of the virus, such as “staggering starting times for schools, third-level institutions and workplaces as well as supporting those who wish to work from home”.

Fianna Fáil did not provide further clarity on what kind of support Mr Martin envisaged for working from home. The joint framework document already agreed between Fianna Fáil and Fine Gael said the public sector would be mandated to “move to 20 per cent home and remote working in 2021” and that “incentives” would be provided for “private sector employers to do likewise”.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭KyussB

This week, I got my first request to investigate trackerware software for one company I'm supporting.

Fwiw.

I'm sure there will be more.
    Here you go guys - exactly as I predicted earlier in the thread - this here is your future working from home:
    https://www.veriato.com/solutions/use-cases/remote-employee-monitoring

Complete employer spying/viewing of your home computers. Want a job? Give up all your privacy, to any manager that wants to snoop through your home devices.

Surprised at how little time that took to begin entering the mainstream.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,126 ✭✭✭Snow Garden

I talked to 2 people today in 2 different organisations (1 public, 1 private). They have both been asked whether they wish to work from home after restrictions are lifted. The person in the public service (3rd level institution) was offered 5 days a week WFH. They other was offered up to 3 days WFH.
    The trend to WFH will not only continue, it will accelerate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

I'm starting a new job soon after years of being an SAHM. It will be WFH to begin with. My salary is nothing to write home about so I'm really banking on being able to continue WFH for at least half of the week. Otherwise childcare costs would take a huge chunk of my salary, as it does for many others.

KyussB wrote: »
    Here you go guys - exactly as I predicted earlier in the thread - this here is your future working from home:

Complete employer spying/viewing of your home computers. Want a job? Give up all your privacy, to any manager that wants to snoop through your home devices.

Why would you use personal devices for work?

If you don't perform to your job requirements you'd be found out without any of that crap being required IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

I'm starting a new job soon after years of being an SAHM. It will be WFH to begin with. My salary is nothing to write home about so I'm really banking on being able to continue WFH for at least half of the week. Otherwise childcare costs would take a huge chunk of my salary, as it does for many others.

What is the new jobs policy on childcare? Is there an acceptance your children are in your care while your working?

Stheno wrote: »
    Why would you use personal devices for work?
    I think you just missed the point to a staggering degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Sunrise_Sunset

jrosen wrote: »
    What is the new jobs policy on childcare? Is there an acceptance your children are in your care while your working?

Yes, for now anyway.
    Once I'm past my probationary period I will be requesting to WFH a couple of days a week. It could even be a requirement or something that is offered by the employer at that stage, who knows.
    My kids are of school going age and reasonably self sufficient around the house so I could still work.

jrosen wrote: »

Surely WFH after the pandemic will be subject to being able to demonstrate that you can focus on your work for X hours a day (albeit will some degree of flexibility over when those are). If you have a couple of toddlers and are relying on WFH to be able to look after them full time, that won’t be acceptable to the employer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

This is false.

WFH home will allow companies greater control over devices used to access their networks for the purposes of data security primarily. Employee productivity is further down the list of priorities.

While some WFH home options may allow you to use a personal device, these won't be ideal post-COVID-19. Any system that allows a complete end to end monitoring of information flow will be the preferred choice. This relates to GDPR/ data security compliance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,616 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

No one is going to be using personal devices for work

• Advertisement

Currently, personal devices are being used, but only because most organisations did not have a plan in place for something like this pandemic.

Once things settle down it will be company-issued devices for WFH.

Biker79 wrote: »
    Currently, personal devices are being used, but only because most organisations did not have a plan in place for something like this pandemic.

Once things settle down it will be company-issued devices for WFH.

For sure that will happen - corporate device, corporate phone, and a proper review of WFH conditions to ensure that it is feasible on a permanent basis (whether there is an adequate space and childcare is not too much of a burden). If you were wording in a studio, and the work environment was sitting on the end of your bed, I dont see how an employer could agree to that, not least for health and safety reasons.

I think that the expectation of many is that the emergency working from home arrangements during this pandemic are what working from home will look like on a permanent basis. But it will be much more formal

For sure that will happen - corporate device, corporate phone, and a proper review of WFH conditions to ensure that it is feasible on a permanent basis (whether there is an adequate space and childcare is not too much of a burden). If you were wording in a studio, and the work environment was sitting on the end of your bed, I dont see how an employer could agree to that, not least for health and safety reasons.

I think that the expectation of many is that the emergency working from home arrangements during this pandemic are what working from home will look like on a permanent basis. But it will be much more formal

Absolutely. H&S plus data security - both of which are about companies protecting themselves legally.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,464 ✭✭✭MOH

bilbot79 wrote: »
    I'd be tempted to buy a little apartment in the Canaries and spend my winters there, in fact I'd probably

1/ Sell my Dublin gaff

2/ By a cheaper Irish gaff in the countryside

3/ Buy a place in the Canaries

4/ Buy another place somewhere in Europe, Hvar or somewhere like that

And just spend weeks and months in each place.

How would the rest of you exploit work from home if you had it permanently?

If all their staff are working remotely anyway, why wouldn't companies just outsource your job to countries with a cheaper workforce, instead of funding your 3 homes?

Yes, for now anyway.
    Once I'm past my probationary period I will be requesting to WFH a couple of days a week. It could even be a requirement or something that is offered by the employer at that stage, who knows.
    My kids are of school going age and reasonably self sufficient around the house so I could still work.

It might be worth checking out.

Biker79 wrote: »
    This is false.

WFH home will allow companies greater control over devices used to access their networks for the purposes of data security primarily. Employee productivity is further down the list of priorities.

While some WFH home options may allow you to use a personal device, these won't be ideal post-COVID-19. Any system that allows a complete end to end monitoring of information flow will be the preferred choice. This relates to GDPR/ data security compliance.
    You control network access to prevent data breaches - you don't spy on everything your employees do at home.

Invading the privacy of people in their own home, on their own devices - is the opposite of upholding the GDPR - it's a breach of privacy.

Everyone reading this should be recognizing that - along with employers making you all contractors who have to purchase your own equipment to work from home - there are now at least half a dozen posters justifying putting spyware on your home devices, to literally keep an eye on you in your own home...

This is very quickly becoming the new normal - there is very little time to pushback against it.

You will never regain that privacy again, once this becomes the norm. Anyone with network access to your home devices - has full access to your home network, and can trivially access all your home devices - unless you happen to be a network engineer, smart enough to secure off everything yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 221 ✭✭hello2020

MOH wrote: »
    If all their staff are working remotely anyway, why wouldn't companies just outsource your job to countries with a cheaper workforce, instead of funding your 3 homes?
    :D

MOH wrote: »

Companies already do this and will continue too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,027 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Maybe you can explain. I have a work phone and a work laptop, and a personal phone and a personal PC&Laptop. I do all my work on the work devices, in fact I'd get in serious trouble if I did any work on a non-work computer.

How will my employer see anything on the personal devices?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

Maybe you can explain. I have a work phone and a work laptop, and a personal phone and a personal PC&Laptop. I do all my work on the work devices, in fact I'd get in serious trouble if I did any work on a non-work computer.

How will my employer see anything on the personal devices?

Same here. I have never used home devices for remote work, why would I? I use work devices and they are subject to inspection or remote access whether I'm working from the office or from home.

Advertisement