Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Techn0

gavvvvers wrote: »
    Let us know how the discount conversation goes - interested to see if you can get money off a new build - we are in same conversation now looking for approx 5% too - no joy yet! House currently at 430k

When you say no joy, have they replied and said no or are you just waiting to hear back?

lenny4545 wrote: »
    I also tried to get 5% discount for new build but no luck! But as it a forever home think we going to proceed anyway!

To be honest I'm prepared to walk away if they can't at least meet me in the middle.

I don't want to be stretched too thin going into a new build solo in the coming months especially with all this uncertainty. My job is quite strong but anything goes now so I'm taking the prudent approach.

A 5% discount to me would literally be 6 months living expenses and mortgage paid for. I also believe 5% isn't too outlandish but it all depends on the circumstances. In my case, they have just sold all their final phase builds but there's no doubt a large cohort of those buyers are affected in some way. They might be happy to entertain a slight discount to maintain cash flow.

I'll keep ye updated!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 gavvvvers

Techn0 wrote: »
    When you say no joy, have they replied and said no or are you just waiting to hear back?

They replied and said “builder won’t commit yet to discount, too early at this stage to be talking discounts - wants to see how things pan out”

gavvvvers wrote: »
    They replied and said “builder won’t commit yet to discount, too early at this stage to be talking discounts - wants to see how things pan out”

Well time is on your side. I know myself I won't be rushing into any purchase. I think it'll be Q3 before we see any movements in prices as the market is in a bit of a paused state right now.

If the developer tells me they aren't talking discounts at this stage, my response would be to tell them give me a call when they feel the time is right. I think they know its inevitable (again dependent on the circumstances but a €400k+ house is surely in the "likely to be reduced" bracket).

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

Dylan94 wrote: »
    Would this mean that they would want 4800 for a couple left over after paying the mortgage and other loans?

I didn't ask but doubt it would be exactly double, but yes likely to be a good bit more than 2400 I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭lir6777

Techn0 wrote: »
    To be honest I'm prepared to walk away if they can't at least meet me in the middle.

I don't want to be stretched too thin going into a new build solo in the coming months especially with all this uncertainty. My job is quite strong but anything goes now so I'm taking the prudent approach.

A 5% discount to me would literally be 6 months living expenses and mortgage paid for. I also believe 5% isn't too outlandish but it all depends on the circumstances. In my case, they have just sold all their final phase builds but there's no doubt a large cohort of those buyers are affected in some way. They might be happy to entertain a slight discount to maintain cash flow.

I'll keep ye updated!

I'd be really interested to hear how you get on! I put a booking fee on a new build at the end of Feb so am in a similar position. I'd like to think they might allow even a small discount but even if they do,I need an exception which may not be achievable even once banks do start granting them again, if criteria are tightened. I agree with you, think it'll be another few months before we know for sure what will happen with property prices, banks etc. Fingers crossed for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CR0009836

Me and my boyfriend have gone sale agreed on a new build back in February. The offer was sent to our solicitor a few weeks back but now we want to opt for the green mortgage with AIB after getting our BER cert - so we probably will get a new letter of offer.
    My circumstances haven't changed but my boyfriend's company is availing of the government subsidy but he's still working. Does anyone know if AIB are rejecting at drawdown because of these circumstances? I didn't think it would be an issue considering he's still getting the same wage packet every month so nothing has changed for him.

• Registered Users Posts: 564 ✭✭✭Pivot Eoin

Claire94 wrote: »
    Me and my boyfriend have gone sale agreed on a new build back in February. The offer was sent to our solicitor a few weeks back but now we want to opt for the green mortgage with AIB after getting our BER cert - so we probably will get a new letter of offer.
    My circumstances haven't changed but my boyfriend's company is availing of the government subsidy but he's still working. Does anyone know if AIB are rejecting at drawdown because of these circumstances? I didn't think it would be an issue considering he's still getting the same wage packet every month so nothing has changed for him.

Unfortunately yes, it will affect it. Best you can hope for is they reduce the Loan Offer to be 3.5X of whatever the Gross Amount that his company is paying him at the moment.

So if he takes home €3k a month, at the moment roughly €1500 of this would be the COVID-19 scheme, so effectively his business is only paying him €1700 a month with the PAYE breaks. So they will approve €1700 X 12 Months X 3.5 Times salary = €71,400 Total Loan for his share of the Mortgage based on his wages.

**** news I know, but better that you're prepared. Maybe you can delay until July when the COVID Subsidy is due to end and his wages return to normal?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,965 ✭✭✭✭Gavin "shels"

Pivot Eoin wrote: »

**** news I know, but better that you're prepared. Maybe you can delay until July when the COVID Subsidy is due to end and his wages return to normal?

Where did you read about July?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭stayback

Is it possible to drawdown the mortgage and change it afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 TomTanks

Where did you read about July?

It was initially for 12 weeks but likely to be extended

• Registered Users Posts: 14 CR0009836

stayback wrote: »

That's interesting - i'm guessing they will still ask for our most recent payslip though so still think it could come against us even with the original offer letter

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭Empty_Space

That's interesting - i'm guessing they will still ask for our most recent payslip though so still think it could come against us even with the original offer letter

Do yourself a favor and hold off for now. Thats only my opinion but buying now you could be hurt badly.

• Administrators Posts: 53,683 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

stayback wrote: »

Depends on if you draw down on a fixed term or not. If you do, you can still change but you'll have to pay a fee.

Either way, it's likely they'll ask for some employment related info before drawdown given the current circumstances.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25 amyed198

lenny4545 wrote: »
    Mental to be going ahead with purchase or mental that they won't give discount?

Going ahead with the purchase.

We were sale agreed but bank pulled the exemption and wouldn't give us the funds, in hindsight we are grateful as it looks as though house prices will plummet, still a bit disappointed but we are optimistic we will get something just as nice for a lot cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭fifth

amyed198 wrote: »

We were sale agreed but bank pulled the exemption and wouldn't give us the funds, in hindsight we are grateful as it looks as though house prices will plummet, still a bit disappointed but we are optimistic we will get something just as nice for a lot cheaper.

So it wasn't mental when you were full steam ahead with your own purchase, but now that you've had the rug pulled out from under you by the bank, anyone else proceeding with a purchase is mental? :rolleyes:

Whether prices will 'plummet' or not remains to be seen. There'll be a drop but I wouldn't be so sure that they'll plummet. The supply issue will exist long into the 2020s.

amyed198 wrote: »

Lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

This has forum has been pretty helpful so far; we are progressing rapidly, contracts exchanged within one week of going sale agreed.

Could people inform me of what I should be paying for a valuation?

I have the figure of ~150e in my head, but not sure where it came from or if its ball park.

Any advice would be appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 132 ✭✭ladystardust

TheSheriff wrote: »
    This has forum has been pretty helpful so far; we are progressing rapidly, contracts exchanged within one week of going sale agreed.

I have the figure of ~150e in my head, but not sure where it came from or if its ball park.

We paid 175 for valuation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,150 ✭✭✭beanyb

I paid €150 for mine

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Sunnycj

I paid €150 for the bank valuation..additional €65 for a 'drive by' valuation if drawdown isn't within 4 months of the first valuation.

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Jay Dee

Hi,

Sorry if this in the wrong place.....

How much is an engineers report these days.... Cork city
    Second hand 1960's..
    Who's good / reasonable

Thanks

Jay

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭lomb

Add 500 for a survey too dont get the valuation too soon as stated and definately complete within the 4 months get a valuation and covid condition subject to finance added to the contract, good luck

Jay Dee wrote: »
    Hi,

Sorry if this in the wrong place.....

How much is an engineers report these days.... Cork city
    Second hand 1960's..
    Who's good / reasonable

Thanks

Jay

Pm sent with top dude

• Registered Users Posts: 1,108 ✭✭✭TheSheriff

lomb wrote: »
    Add 500 for a survey too dont get the valuation too soon as stated and definately complete within the 4 months get a valuation and covid condition subject to finance added to the contract, good luck

Excellent, thank you. I hadn't thought about a "Covid clause" - will mention this to the solicitor (hopefully they have preempted this already).

Excellent, thank you. I hadn't thought about a "Covid clause" - will mention this to the solicitor (hopefully they have preempted this already).

Also put in a second condition that contract is subject to a valuation for x being valid at time of drawdown otherwise deposit refundable ..

Has anyone managed to drawdown on the wage subsidy?

The banks could offer something like an extra month or two so we can both wait to see what after lock down brings especially people much further along about to sign contracts. There are alot out there.

Anyone any ideas?

TomTanks wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to drawdown on the wage subsidy?

The banks could offer something like an extra month or two so we can both wait to see what after lock down brings especially people much further along about to sign contracts. There are alot out there.

Anyone any ideas?

Forget it... I'm drawing down shortly and from what I've seen and being put though the ringer by the second biggest lender in the state the property market is now cash only or public sector for the next 12-24 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 288 ✭✭JL555

Piad €150 in Cork, the bank had two of their approved Valuers living in our area, paid the bank over the phone when we made the booking, the ones the bank decided to go with took over 2 weeks to do a 'drive by' of the house. This was all before anyone was thinking about lockdowns.

• Advertisement

lomb wrote: »
    Forget it... I'm drawing down shortly and from what I've seen and being put though the ringer by the second biggest lender in the state the property market is now cash only or public sector for the next 12-24 months.

I am aswell, I think I'm resigned to it not going through! My job has availed of the wage subsidy and topped up. I might try and ask to come off it if possible. I'm not sure if you can come off it to be honest.

What have they asked you to do, if you dont mind me asking!?!

Advertisement