Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Air BnB [and other platforms] to be effectively outlawed in high demand areas

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

AIRbnb will have very few legitimate offerings if every apartment has to be registered and have planning permission.

Will certainly be a lot less but there are a number of legitimate STLs and a few larger scale build-to-STL operators in various stages of development.

Dav010 wrote: »
    I disagree Graham. Businesses adapt to challenges, if Airbnb stops being a player in the market, they will have to either change to get around the rules, or pull out leaving the way clear for another platform based outside the jurisdiction. If as another poster said, this becomes an issue at EU level, you can be damn sure another platform will come in. At the moment, I can advertise on Facebook or a site based in the UK but advertising holiday lets throughout Europe. Airbnb is just the biggest player in the field, but others are there.

I've said it before, there will always be those that think they can operate under their own rules. No amount of laws will ever change that.

Tightening the laws/enforcement will just get rid of most of the chancers.

AirBnB brought a veneer of accountability/legitimacy to private STLs. Remove that and you automatically remove most of the customer base anyway.

I'd be all for San Francisco style deterrents which have seen penalties in the 6 and 7 figures for rogue operators. It will be interesting to see what the recently discussed changes in the law bring about.

I certainly wouldn't recommend basing an investment strategy around non-legit STLs anytime soon for that and other currently obvious reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,183 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

Graham wrote: »
    I've said it before, there will always be those that think they can operate under their own rules. No amount of laws will ever change that.

Tightening the laws/enforcement will just get rid of most of the chancers.

AirBnB brought a veneer of accountability/legitimacy to private STLs. Remove that and you automatically remove most of the customer base anyway.

I'd be all for San Francisco style deterrents which have seen penalties in the 6 and 7 figures for rogue operators. It will be interesting to see what the recently discussed changes in the law bring about.

I certainly wouldn't recommend basing an investment strategy around non-legit STLs anytime soon for that and other currently obvious reasons.

I certainly agree with Airbnb bringing legitimacy, transparency and accountability to the market. Calling it a “veneer” is being disingenuous. Airbnb give full accounts relating to all Host payments to Revenue and protect both Host and guest. Booking.com on the other hand are just a facilitator and allow for cash payments with no relationship with Revenue and no protections for either party.

You are inspiring Graham.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

I certainly agree with Airbnb bringing legitimacy, transparency and accountability to the market. Calling it a “veneer” is being disingenuous. Airbnb give full accounts relating to all Host payments to Revenue and protect both Host and guest. Booking.com on the other hand are just a facilitator and allow for cash payments with no relationship with Revenue and no protections for either party.

You are inspiring Graham.

AIRbnb is enabling the illegal use of property. The issue is not about taxation the issue will be about protecting hotels.
    A blind eye was turned when it suited but it no longer suits.

AIRbnb is enabling the illegal use of property. The issue is not about taxation the issue will be about protecting hotels.
    A blind eye was turned when it suited but it no longer suits.

Right now we are talking about legislation which does not, and may never exist. How many times has proposed legislation been referred to in print, but never seen the light of day? It is not illegal to advertise on Airbnb and they do inform you on the site that planning is necessary. But as things stand, it is not illegal to advertise.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,167 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

Right now we are talking about legislation which does not, and may never exist. How many times has proposed legislation been referred to in print, but never seen the light of day. It is not illegal to advertise on Airbnb and they do inform you on the site that planning is necessary. But as things stand, it is not illegal to advertise.

"As things stand". That is precisely my point. Things were allowed to go on because it suited. It no longer suits. There is no point in saying that there is no legislation. There is now a motivation for legislation.
    Hotel owners who re-open in the net few months with shattered balance sheets will not take kindly to competition from illegal Airbnb operations. They will lobby and force legislation and enforcement of same.

"As things stand". That is precisely my point. Things were allowed to go on because it suited. It no longer suits. There is no point in saying that there is no legislation. There is now a motivation for legislation.
    Hotel owners who re-open in the net few months with shattered balance sheets will not take kindly to competition from illegal Airbnb operations. They will lobby and force legislation and enforcement of same.

Yip, time will tell. There is motivation for lots of legislation about many things, and there will be many a lobbyist around the Dail in the coming months lobbying for VAT reductions, rate reductions, insurance reductions, funding for businesses etc, but that doesn’t mean they will be acted on. But look, if you think a tiny sector will be important with everything else going on, good for you. I’m sure Revenue will also chip in that they do collect a nice bit of tax income from Hosts.

I don't think the lobbying will be necessary.

One thing recent governments have demonstrated is a willingness to implement crowd-pleasing legislation particularly in housing related areas.

As has recently been indicated, it'd already on the cards.

I don't think the lobbying will be necessary.

One thing recent governments have demonstrated is a willingness to implement crowd-pleasing legislation particularly in housing related areas.

As has recently been indicated, it'd already on the cards.

One article in one paper means “it’s on the cards”, I think you are a bit gullible Graham. I wonder how many articles on other subjects appear like this every year. How many promises do politicians make that never get delivered? It might be legislated for, but wishing it will won’t make it happen.

I doubt the majority of citizens could care less about STLs, particularly now.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭Ozark707

I doubt the majority of citizens could care less about STLs, particularly now.

Do you honestly think that they did not have an effect on the rental market and if not then what do you attribute the reduction in rent prices in the last two months?

• Advertisement

Ozark707 wrote: »
    Do you honestly think that they did not have an effect on the rental market and if not then what do you attribute the reduction in rent prices in the last two months?

You keep posting this, and yet you have noting to back it up. Daft have stated that there are not any significant increases on their site, 20 additional properties per week in Dublin and they are not confirmed as previously STL properties, they could be just tenants leaving and going home. Have you any evidence to support your view?

LLs could be scrambling to let their properties in anticipation of a downturn. There is currently a thread started by a poster who has seen prices increase in an area he/she is looking over the past few weeks and another poster said every ad he replied to would only let for 5 months max.

Airbnb ads are staying steady, if you go back a couple of pages you will see a poster said there are still over 4K ads for Dublin.

Edit: 4663 entire properties listed in Dublin currently.

You keep posting this, and yet you have noting to back it up. Daft have stated that there are not any significant increases on their site, 20 additional properties per week in Dublin and they are not confirmed as previously STL properties, they could be just tenants leaving and going home. Have you any evidence to support your view?

OK....link below shows the availability for Dublin on daft. On the 15th of March there were 1177 and on the 01 May there were 1546. That is a 31% increase.

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/?s=volume

In that time period the average rent for a 2 bed apt went from €2446 to €2182 which is ~11% reduction.

1 bed apts went from €2000 to €1735 (~13% reduction) in this time range.

Now it would appear to me that there is a case to be made that this very sizeable reduction in asking prices is due to increased supply, not as a result of reduced spending power (that will come later I suspect).

(I am nearly sure the guy who collates these figures does not include STL's as if you like right now on daft it will indicate that there are >2400 listings for Dublin where his figures show 2157 on the 01 May. If he is not it means there has been a huge step increase in supply in 10 days but as you say Daft are saying this is not the case)

OK....link below shows the availability for Dublin on daft. On the 15th of March there were 1177 and on the 01 May there were 1546. That is a 31% increase.

https://bl.ocks.org/pinsterdev/raw/234b4a5310a14a32e080/?s=volume

In that time period the average rent for a 2 bed apt went from €2446 to €2182 which is ~11% reduction.

1 bed apts went from €2000 to €1735 (~13% reduction) in this time range.

Now it would appear to me that there is a case to be made that this very sizeable reduction in asking prices is due to increased supply, not as a result of reduced spending power (that will come later I suspect).

(I am nearly sure the guy who collates these figures does not include STL's as if you like right now on daft it will indicate that there are >2400 listings for Dublin where his figures show 2157 on the 01 May. If he is not it means there has been a huge step increase in supply in 10 days but as you say Daft are saying this is not the case)

Daft stated there had been a 75% increase in ads for rentals in Dublin over the past 12 mths, 170 new ads for central Dublin went up the week the Colleges closed/lock down was announced and it slowed to and average of 20 per week thereafter. How are you making the assumption they are STLs? Have you anything to back this up?

Is it possible the 75% is due to new properties, properties which were occupied by students going home? By employees leaving Dublin because their jobs are gone? Foreigners leaving before travel restrictions take hold? Could the price drops be due to the catastrophic economic shock that started 3 months ago? If they were STLs, why aren’t ads on Airbnb nosediving? The first thing a Host would do is shut down their account to stop bookings/queries from Guests. And in case you think that there is no activity on Airbnb accounts, the email queries come in daily about next year.

Ozark, show me something apart from your 2+2= 10 and pictures of towels on beds = Airbnb.

It's probably a complete coincidence that dozens of neatly staged properties on 5 months terms all appeared on Daft simultaneously in what would be typically tourist-attracting areas.

Daft stated there had been a 75% increase in ads for rentals in Dublin over the past 12 mths, 170 new ads for central Dublin went up the week the Colleges closed/lock down was announced and it slowed to and average of 20 per week thereafter. How are you making the assumption they are STLs? Have you anything to back this up?

Is it possible the 75% is due to new properties, properties which were occupied by students going home? By employees leaving Dublin because their jobs are gone? Foreigners leaving before travel restrictions take hold? Could the price drops be due to the catastrophic economic shock that started 3 months ago? If they were STLs, why aren’t ads on Airbnb nosediving? The first thing a Host would do is shut down their account to stop bookings/queries from Guests. And in case you think that there is no activity on Airbnb accounts, the email queries come in daily about next year.

Ozark, show me something apart from your 2+2= 10 and pictures of towels on beds = Airbnb.

How on earth could anyone break down the figures in the way you are asking. What I am drawing attention is to the fact that supply has gone up and asking prices have come down in a fashion that has not been seen in the last 4-5 years at least (I can only go on the figures in the link). There are obviously a myriad of reasons as to why supply might have gone up so quickly and one of them is around the return of STL's to the longer term market.

You seem to be contending that there is now only a trickle of new properties being added every week (20) and if that trend continues then we should expect to see less than 5% MoM increase in supply and then you would imagine only a slight if any decrease in average prices. Time will tell in 3 weeks or so...

It's probably a complete coincidence that dozens of neatly staged properties on 5 months terms all appeared on Daft simultaneously in what would be typically tourist-attracting areas.

Who would think to have nice photos of their properties in ads? I wonder why they would only want 5 month leases? Could it be that they know there will be no bookings at least until towards the end of the year and they want to be able to remove tenants before Part4 rights are attained so they can be put back up as STLs?

Towels Graham? Seriously?

How on earth could anyone break down the figures in the way you are asking...

You can’t, which is why I am questioning why you think minor increases in supply and falling rents are due to lots of STLs going back on the market.

You seem to be ignoring all the other more obvious reasons such as the devastating effect of the pandemic on the economy, migration of students and workers out of Dublin, emigration of foreign workers, new builds coming on stream etc,

It’s as if yourself and Graham have a blindspot when it comes to this, new ads must be STLs, property owners getting out of the game are driving down rents. The Airbnb listings do not support your theory, daft.ie do not support your theory, in fact, apart from a few towels on beds, I’m not sure what is supporting your theory.

You can’t, which is why I am questioning why you think minor increases in supply and falling rents are due to lots of STLs going back on the market.

You seem to be ignoring all the other more obvious reasons such as the devastating effect of the pandemic on the economy, migration of students and workers out of Dublin, emigration of foreign workers, new builds coming on stream etc,

It’s as if yourself and Graham have a blindspot when it comes to this, new ads must be STLs, property owners getting out of the game are driving down rents. The Airbnb listings do not support your theory, daft.ie do not support your theory, in fact, apart from a few towels on beds, I’m not sure what is supporting your theory.

I think that it’s you who have a blind spot. Are you an AirBnB “Host” by any chance?

Just a fan of neatly rolled towels :D:D

I think that it’s you who have a blind spot. Are you an AirBnB “Host” by any chance?

I am, but that still doesn’t mean the stats don’t lie. You can’t claim something to be true when the evidence points to it not being. If there was a sudden significant drop in Airbnb listings which correlated with similar increase in rental properties, then yes I can see how that would tally, but there is neither so when daft themselves say they are not seeing it on their site, I’m not sure how some claim that it is happening.

• Advertisement

A 31% increase in supply is 'minor'...lets agree to disagree on that one.

I am not ignoring other factors. I suggested that STL's returning is having an effect. Daft would have no idea what is making up the increase in listings unless they had been checking to see if there were pictures of nicely folded towels I would guess.

Listen you seem to have made your mind up and nothing will convince you otherwise so best of luck.

A 31% increase in supply is 'minor'...lets agree to disagree on that one.

I am not ignoring other factors. I suggested that STL's returning is having an effect. Daft would have no idea what is making up the increase in listings unless they had been checking to see if there were pictures of nicely folded towels I would guess.

Listen you seem to have made your mind up and nothing will convince you otherwise so best of luck.

A 31% increase on a very low number is significant. But it is still a very low number for a city the size of Dublin, and can be accounted for by much more obvious factors like students/workers leaving when colleges and businesses closed.

I think you are doing a disservice to Daft, their analytics on the market are far more informed than yours and mine.

You made the claim, if you can’t back it up, then your claim is unconvincing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,561 ✭✭✭Umaro

Dav010 has a playbook with a few tricks in it that he just uses over and over to refute points.
      You put something forward as a solution to stop STLs cannibalizing the rental market - he'll look for granular detail, poke a hole in it and then deduce the whole plan is useless. This is easy stuff, since you're not a policymaker you won't have thought of every. single. scenario.
      In fact any legislation talk is easily brushed away with a simple "Hasn't worked so far, so won't work now".
      DOWNPLAY the STL market. It's just 1% of the market, right? No big deal.
      Throw a few stats at him - he'll just hand-wave them away. Lads, there could be any number of reasons why prices dropped when a load of rental property came online in March, don't be casting aspersions on AirBnB.
      And then the flipside to when you don't have the stats, he'll start looking for you to produce the stats to prove your point.

Those are all pretty effective, but I'd say my personal favourite is when you've managed to corner him and he backflips over you with "If you shutdown AirBnB it'll just get replaced with dodgy alternatives operating out of Malawi and you'll never stop themmmm"

Taking his posts at face value, it seems like regulating STLs in Dublin is as hopeless as the war on drugs :(

A 31% increase on a very low number is significant. But it is still a very low number for a city the size of Dublin, and can be accounted for by much more obvious factors like students/workers leaving when colleges and businesses closed.

I think you are doing a disservice to Daft, their analytics on the market are far more informed than yours and mine.

You made the claim, if you can’t back it up, then your claim is unconvincing.

So daft are able to breakdown the source of all listings being added. Didn't realise that.

Umaro wrote: »
    Dav010 has a playbook with a few tricks in it that he just uses over and over to refute points.
      You put something forward as a solution to stop STLs cannibalizing the rental market - he'll look for granular detail, poke a hole in it and then deduce the whole plan is useless. This is easy stuff, since you're not a policymaker you won't have thought of every. single. scenario.
      In fact any legislation talk is easily brushed away with a simple "Hasn't worked so far, so won't work now".
      DOWNPLAY the STL market. It's just 1% of the market, right? No big deal.
      Throw a few stats at him - he'll just hand-wave them away. Lads, there could be any number of reasons why prices dropped when a load of rental property came online in March, don't be casting aspersions on AirBnB.
      And then the flipside to when you don't have the stats, he'll start looking for you to produce the stats to prove your point.

Those are all pretty effective, but I'd say my personal favourite is when you've managed to corner him and he backflips over you with "If you shutdown AirBnB it'll just get replaced with dodgy alternatives operating out of Malawi and you'll never stop themmmm"

Taking his posts at face value, it seems like regulating STLs in Dublin is as hopeless as the war on drugs :(

Thanks Umaro, I’m happy to answer any points you want to make in response to the summary above. And incidentally, I can’t take credit for your personal favourite, if you go back you will see that Claw Hammer made the point about alternatives out of Mali or Timbuktu.

Peter McVerry Trust now chiming in with some analysis...
    Figures released by Dublin City Council earlier today show that as of March there were 1,103 families in emergency accommodation in the city – the lowest number since May 2017.
    The council expects to see further decreases in April.
    Pat Doyle, the CEO of the Peter McVerry Trust, said that the “decline in the number of families in homelessness is not a huge surprise”.
    “From early March we’d have begun to see an increase in the availability of housing units available to rent, these units had been used by the short term letting market for tourists and students, now they are going to people who need a long term home.”
    “There are hundreds of extra units on the market many of which are benefitting people with a social housing need,” Doyle added.

https://www.thejournal.ie/peter-mcverry-charity-homeless-accommodation-5096643-May2020/

If you go back a few pages you will see a post about homeless people being moved into a short let unit next door, the poster asked who is paying for it, it’s the HSE. The Government is actually paying STL owners to house the homeless short term while the hotels they were using are closed. The irony can’t be lost on you Ozark.

You mean the properties are being used for residential purposes?

You mean the properties are being used for residential purposes?

They are being used by the HSE for short term letting purposes.

“Last week, Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy said the Covid-19 crisis has highlighted the number of short-term lets in Dublin which are now available to homeless services and the HSE”

It’s ironic, the Government is booking STL units, and paying whatever the Hosts asked. Nice touch in these difficult times.

Ozark, I wonder how many of those units have planning, and how the HSE/HS found them.

• Advertisement

They are being used by the HSE for short term letting purposes.

“Last week, Minister for Housing Eoghan Murphy said the Covid-19 crisis has highlighted the number of short-term lets in Dublin which are now available to homeless services and the HSE”

It’s ironic, the Government is booking STL units, and paying whatever the Hosts asked. Nice touch in these difficult times.

Ozark, I wonder how many of those units have planning, and how the HSE/HS found them.

You mean now that the government have a record of these particular STL’s and won’t be able to follow up on them again at some stage?

Advertisement