Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When do dentists expect to be back?

Options
  • 24-04-2020 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭

What's currently dentists best guess

Does it depend on the government supplying PPE?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Ich liebe Berlin

Dentists are still working, but they are only dealing with emergencies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 110 ✭✭Hintel

Dentists are still working, but they are only dealing with emergencies.

Ya I seen that

I should have said routine work

Is there any movement on PPE obviously there'll be huge backlogs now

• Registered Users Posts: 14,008 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

At the very earliest, it will be when lockdown is lifted. Then the advice of the HSE will be considered. Clinics will have to make arrangements for social distancing so full waiting rooms will no longer be permitted. Staff safety will be paramount, so yes, protective equipment will be necessary. At a guess, it could be 3-6 months before anything approaching normal service resumes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭Non solum non ambulabit

Does anyone know when Dentists will resume normal service? It wasn't clearly outlined in the Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business document.

Does anyone know when Dentists will resume normal service? It wasn't clearly outlined in the Roadmap for Reopening Society & Business document.

Waiting on guidance from HPSC/Dental Council. When Clinics do open, service will not be how it used to be. Social Distancing and protective measures will mean that it will be a reduced service with fewer patients allowed to be in Clinic waiting rooms. This is likely to mean longer waiting times for appointments.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

The sad reality is that there is more public concern& PR around when hairdressers will reopen, than when dental practices will.
    As healthcare professionals- & the ones in closest possible proximity to the nose& mouth- we were disheartened to have not been even given a footnote in the government plan.

Hopefully it will be soon. One of my crowns is coming loose. Any advice on what to do in the meantime?

Sorry for hijacking thread OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,901 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

Dianthus wrote: »
    The sad reality is that there is more public concern& PR around when hairdressers will reopen, than when dental practices will.
    As healthcare professionals- & the ones in closest possible proximity to the nose& mouth- we were disheartened to have not been even given a footnote in the government plan.

Fpd0eKI.jpg

Sorry man I couldn't resist.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dianthus

Fpd0eKI.jpg

Sorry man I couldn't resist.
    Hair on fleek- that's the important thing!

Hopefully it will be soon. One of my crowns is coming loose. Any advice on what to do in the meantime?

Sorry for hijacking thread OP.

Sunday of a bank holiday, & in the middle of a pandemic; not easy.
    We can't give specific dental advice on Boards other than to say to get in contact with a dentist asap, likely by phone.
    It goes without saying to be very careful you don't swallow or inhale it, & avoid eating on it.
    Either the cement may have loosened, or the core of tooth underneath may have cracked from clenching/grinding/biting hard foods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,389 ✭✭✭irishguy1983

Any updates on this???!

Awaiting further guidance from The Dental Council ahead of scheduled "start date" of May 18th.
    Also awaiting outcome of a meeting between the Minister for Health& The Irish Dental Association yesterday evening.
    Access to& cost of PPE is the biggest factor. GPs & pharmacists have been getting theirs provided by the government.
    If the general public could lobby their local TDs to show that there is demand, that might help move things forward also

• Registered Users Posts: 5,700 ✭✭✭fonecrusher1

Plenty of places are doing emergency appointments. It really depends on what the issue is you need looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,894 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Got an email from my dentist today saying they received word that they were good to resume routine appointments May 18th.

Stark wrote: »
    Got an email from my dentist today saying they received word that they were good to resume routine appointments May 18th.

Anyone else got anything to back this up?? Can’t imagine this being true but nor am I doubting the poster and what they have heard...

Anyone else got anything to back this up?? Can’t imagine this being true but nor am I doubting the poster and what they have heard...

This is true, Dentists just waiting for confirmation from the Dental Council but a statement on their websites states that Practices can plan to open for routine treatments on or shortly after 18/05.

http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/covid.php

Dav010 wrote: »
    This is true, Dentists just waiting for confirmation from the Dental Council but a statement on their websites states that Practices can plan to open for routine treatments on or shortly after 18/05.

http://www.dentalcouncil.ie/covid.php

WOW - thank you!

I thought it was meant to be months...

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Looney1

Awaiting clarification from dental Council.Will be phase 1 or 2.( even though many dentists are already advertising for next Monday) It will not be like before. Aerosol treatments (drill and ultrasonic cleaner) are to be avoided. Some dentists will fire away but if sticking to guidelines treatment will still be pretty limited. Can see prices going up too due to increased chair time per treatment and increased cost of PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭sibersha

Would the above apply to orthodontists too?

sibersha wrote: »
    Would the above apply to orthodontists too?

Yes but again the aerosol treatments are the problem. Orthodontists could probably avoid those

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Each dentist will be making individual assessment based on the current advice of the risk for their patients, staff and themselves and opening or not as needed. Best for everyone to contact their dentist and find out when they are opening and if open are they doing regular work or only emergencies.

Each dentist will be making individual assessment based on the current advice of the risk for their patients, staff and themselves and opening or not as needed. Best for everyone to contact their dentist and find out when they are opening and if open are they doing regular work or only emergencies.

No dentist should be doing routine work at moment and not until the dental council have given the all clear

Looney1 wrote: »
    No dentist should be doing routine work at moment and not until the dental council have given the all clear

I’ve heard they will give the all clear for AGP as long as clinical staff have correct PPE including FFP2 masks or better, and gowns.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭vishal

If anybody could pm me where they can buy fpp2/3 masks please? Thank you. I have seen kn95 masks for sale but most are not fit for use according to cdc testing.

According to BOS, use of slow speed handpiece without water to remove bracket cement is AGP as well as using 3 in 1 tip, so I still see many treatments limited. I will not be doing any AGP despite what advice they give. They do not have the staff best interest at heart.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 168 ✭✭Loozer

I'll bet varadkar wouldn't be waiting for a dentist but ok for the rest of the plebs to wait

Loozer wrote: »
    I'll bet varadkar wouldn't be waiting for a dentist but ok for the rest of the plebs to wait
    I've actually been looking at every newsreader, reporter, politician& medical expert on TV during this pandemic, & so far no sign of a chip, a missing front tooth, a crooked tooth, a dark tooth. A fair few cases of whitening, veneers, crowns.
    Cannot comprehend why dentistry hasn't been placed front& centre during this pandemic. The public need it& deserve it, & the profession needs & deserves PPE.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭adrian92

Dianthus wrote: »

Yes,

More concern, as you say, about, hairdressers - cosmetic.

No mention of dentists.

But I have not heard any dentists on the radio - perhaps I had the wrong chanel

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

"emergency " dentistry on the go in places in Cork. Not much happening so (if ya need cosmetic-ish) just give a ring and you'll be booked in straight away. So don't know what the F yeer on about. Get creative , think outside the box...go online...run around your garden for 100 miles for the black babies.

adrian92 wrote: »
    Yes,
    More concern, as you say, about, hairdressers - cosmetic.
    No mention of dentists.
    But I have not heard any dentists on the radio - perhaps I had the wrong chanel

Radio1 on 25th March, April 29th
    Pat Kenny show on March 23rd
    Live 95 FM on 24th March
    Red FM on 26th March
    WLR FM on 31st March

Statements from Irish Dental Association over the weeks on print media- The Irish Examiner, Irish Times, Irish Independant. (See their Facebook page)

• Advertisement
Advertisement