Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fianna Fail on 14%

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Edgware wrote: »
    No just a lack of imagination on your behalf but fairly typical. Paisley McGuinness in government together?
    I dont see why there is such a demand for a National Government. People were whinging about the FF support for FG in the last five years but now they want all parties in the Dail to come together with no opposition. Sounds very like a dictatorship to me.

Your heading down a rabbit hole with that poster

Ignores the fact S.F. don’t want to go into government. Talked to the Greens 3 months ago and agreed nothing

The politicians now need to come together for the country and form a government, leave the usual suspect sitting in the background snipping....that’s all they are good for

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

McMurphy wrote: »
    Nevermind taking him 5 recounts, they should have made him deputy leader when Coveney won twice the amount of votes as Varadkar did when they were selecting a new leader.

They backed the wrong horse - and that horse cost them the last election when the country was enjoying an economic boom - how the hell he managed to do so seems to be Leo's greatest and only achievement.
    Leo has been an almighty let down !

Imagine a sitting Taoiseach scraping in on the 5th Count !

Why are Fg persevering with such an abject failure ? ?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

But why even bother, it is utterly irrelevant

Given the context in which it was mentioned it's entirely relevant. No one is mentioning the legitimacy of him being elected, merely his popularity (or lack of) from his constituents and within his own party come to mention it.

But it's dictorial to suggest a national government?

Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭christy c

Nevermind taking him 5 recounts, they should have made him deputy leader when Coveney won twice the amount of votes as Varadkar did when they were selecting a new leader.

They backed the wrong horse - and that horse cost them the last election when the country was enjoying an economic boom - how the hell he managed to do so seems to be Leo's greatest and only achievement.

People here who bring up the FG leadership contest most seem to be SF supporters for some reason. Leo was elected under the FG process, making him deputy leader after he won under FG rules would have been stupid (and probably not possible unless they had another vote).

I'm not sure Coveney in charge of FG would have done much better in the election, ex minister for housing so that wouldnt have sat well with people paying high rents. He also congratulated the scrounger Erica Fleming after the state handed her a house. That said, I do think there is more substance to him.

• Registered Users Posts: 67,506 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your heading down a rabbit hole with that poster

Ignores the fact S.F. don’t want to go into government. Talked to the Greens 3 months ago and agreed nothing

The politicians now need to come together for the country and form a government, leave the usual suspect sitting in the background snipping....that’s all they are good for

IMO the country will decimate the 3 of them for coalescing.
    Give it time...nobody will be thanking them. 'Tanking' is more appropiate.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

blinding wrote: »
    Leo has been an almighty let down !

Imagine a sitting Taoiseach scraping in on the 5th Count !

Why are Fg persevering with such an abject failure ? ?

He woukd have done a lot better if he went back to his principals and views that got him elected in the first place. People voted for the ‘end the quangos, scrap USC, stop welfare cheats’ leo, now they have the ‘did i do good twitter, here have another free thing and heres another social policy’ which is why he dropped that low.

FG would do a hell of a lot better if they actually started being the centre right party they promised to be , instead of getting out the labour and ff policy booklet and photocopying

He woukd have done a lot better if he went back to his principals and views that got him elected in the first place. People voted for the ‘end the quangos, scrap USC, stop welfare cheats’ leo, now they have the ‘did i do good twitter, here have another free thing and heres another social policy’ which is why he dropped that low.

FG would do a hell of a lot better if they actually started being the centre right party they promised to be , instead of getting out the labour and ff policy booklet and photocopying

I would like to see how Leo would fair if he got another shot

He seemed to have ideas but not strong enough to carry them out, like the children’s hospital, he wanted it in Blanch and seemed to buckle under pressure

The big failing was the CO2 tax in 2018, he said all year it was coming, then day of election it was gone. That was the end of him in my eyes, then the mess with swing gate, he should have booted her

Maybe the comments to herself the other day shows a new “no s**t” Leo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

At least Varadkar had the guts to try and bring in another FG candidate in a tough constituency.
    McDonald wanted the poll topper title and wouldnt risk it and as a result she will be sitting on her big surplus for the next 5 years.
    To give O Broin credit he did a great organisation job and as a result himself and Ward were elected

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Colonel Claptrap

Mary Lou was elected on the 8th count in 2011 having not reached the quota and look at her now. She also didn't have a running mate.

If Varadkar didn't carry a running mate in 2020 he would have reached the quota on the first count.

All of this is irrelevant if you understand how a PR-STV system works.

Mary Lou was elected on the 8th count in 2011 having not reached the quota and look at her now. She also didn't have a running mate.

If Varadkar didn't carry a running mate in 2020 he would have reached the quota on the first count.

All of this is irrelevant if you understand how a PR-STV system works.
    Correct. SF are a bit new to this democracy lark. They still think 25% is a majority.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

When you say coalescing you mean forming a government on the only way possible given how the electorate voted?

Since the election

Two parties appear serious about forming government,

One is thinking about it

Two have ran away from it

One has taken lots of pictures for social media

When you say coalescing you mean forming a government on the only way possible given how the electorate voted?

Since the election

Two parties appear serious about forming government,

One is thinking about it

Two have ran away from it

If you are going to liken the inability to get numbers to 'running away' then I have no problem likening this particular 'coaliton' to an orchestrated power grab.

If you are going to liken the inability to get numbers to 'running away' then I have no problem likening this particular 'coaliton' to an orchestrated power grab.

Labour and the SDs have ran away.

The SDs in particular seem to have no interest in power. I voted for them, and won't again if there is a new election

That’d be Leo ! King of the Photoshoot ! ! !

The SDs in particular seem to have no interest in power. I voted for them, and won't again if there is a new election

If the Greens don’t go into government they will be hammered in an election, what’s the point in voting for a party if they have no interest in trying to get into power and implement the agenda you voted for

• Registered Users Posts: 14,062 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

Meanwhile, a national government of unity is being prevented by Leo, the public might not thank him for that either.

This is false. FG cannot stop the other 125 TD's voting for a Unity government.
    I know you are obsessed with the idea, but again, no one wants one currently.

Varadkar was elected legitimately under out electoral system. It doesnt matter which count.
    To argue otherwise is childish games like kids claiming to be 6 and a half to have advantage over the kid who is six.

To be honest, this is the standard of debate that currently goes on in these types of threads and you can tell what 'side' it comes from. Childish one-upmanship of the pettiest kind.

Social media has a lot to answer for.

I don't and never have believed that a party or ibdependent is duty bound to go into government at any cost.
    Have these people or parties genuinely sought to create room to govern together? I see nothing to suggest they haven't.
    They cannot make it work, fair enough

And to whom will all those votes go to?

Is that the reason why SF dont want to go into government yet? :)

I don't and never have believed that a party or ibdependent is duty bound to go into government at any cost.
    Have these people or parties genuinely sought to create room to govern together? I see nothing to suggest they haven't.
    They cannot make it work, fair enough

I'd have liked to have seen something come out of the talks the "change parties" had, an alliance, a negotiating bloc, something.

The silence from all indicates talks didn't go very far, or they can't even agree amongst themselves

• Advertisement

I'd have liked to have seen something come out of the talks the "change parties" had, an alliance, a negotiating bloc, something.

The silence from all indicates talks didn't go very far, or they can't even agree amongst themselves

So did I. But I see little point in using a sledgehammer or a freebie for your principles approach either.
    Bribing somebody so you can get a comfy seat rarely ends well and demeans the body politic.

They went nowhere because the party that needed to pull them all together had no interest in going into power. It’s that bad PBP are sending them letters asking what’s going on, the Greens that met them 3 months ago made the right decision and went to the parties that want to form a government

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    They went nowhere because the party that needed to pull them all together had no interest in going into power. It’s that bad PBP are sending them letters asking what’s going on, the Greens that met them 3 months ago made the right decision and went to the parties that want to form a government

:) the Greens were categorically ruling out a coalition a month ago.

:) the Greens were categorically ruling out a coalition a month ago.
    What colour are they Now ? ?

https://waterfordnow.ie/news/he-should-consider-stepping-down-waterford-ff-members-hit-out-at-martins-decision-to-enter-coalition-with-fg/

Martin facing revolt from within his own ranks....the arrogant one who wants 40% of waterford voters to be ignored,about time

https://waterfordnow.ie/news/he-should-consider-stepping-down-waterford-ff-members-hit-out-at-martins-decision-to-enter-coalition-with-fg/

Martin facing revolt from within his own ranks....the arrogant one who wants 40% of waterford voters to be ignored,about time
    Wishful thinking.

Wishful thinking.

We are really grasping at straws if they best they can come up with is WaterfordNow:P I actually thought it was Waterford Whispers first :P:P

Reports from around the country now on opposition to the merger/coalition.

They know how damaging it will be when the electorate get their say, they are not fools.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭atticu

Meanwhile, a national government of unity is being prevented by Leo

Can you explain how Leo is preventing a national government from being formed, please.

My understanding was that you need 81 seats to form a government.
    Am I wrong?
    Or, have things changed?

• Advertisement

I struggle to understand the merits of a national government or how it would have any hope of functioning

Advertisement