Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Day trading

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

kilns wrote: »
    really? I buy and sell them all the time on it, I was on degiro also and its why i moved away from it as it wouldnt allow me anymore

if you open an IB account it is either IB UK or IB USA. My account is administered with IB Uk

Thats interesting, I am looking at VTI now on IB and I am getting the following message 'Financial instrument is not available for trading'

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

What is the options trading setup like on IB? Was meant to setup an account a while back struggling to get proof of address right balls altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

JMMCapital wrote: »
    What is the options trading setup like on IB? Was meant to setup an account a while back struggling to get proof of address right balls altogether..

I find it very good but I think you have to prove you are capable of options trading before they give you access

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Is anyone aware of any good sites for researching stocks for day trading?

In terms of scanners, news, tips or strategies?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

In terms of scanners, news, tips or strategies?

Sorry, should have been more clear. Yes, in terms of news and tips mainly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32 DankeyKang

canonball5 wrote: »

Ironically I've found r/wallstreetbets a great resource for what stocks will be "hot". Obviously do not take any investing advice from there but for example if you followed the hype on Tesla and AMD along with your own methods/risk analysis you could have made a tidy profit day trading them.

canonball5 wrote: »

You need to be able to filter through so much crap so you need to be careful, a previous poster mentioned Bezinga Pro which is good.

I use StockstoTrade but that covers everything in one package from charting to news, its takes news from all sources and packages it into your tailored needs. Its expensive but works for me. I am lucky too that through work I have access to Bloomberg and Reuters/Refinitiv

But apart from Bezinga pro there are plenty of free stuff out there like marketwatch, Yahoo,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,768 ✭✭✭ballyharpat

can someone that has an account with IB see if they can purchase USO?

I tried on DeGiro, and couldn't, I ended up buying crud.l instead -sucks.

can someone that has an account with IB see if they can purchase USO?

I tried on DeGiro, and couldn't, I ended up buying crud.l instead -sucks.

yes its available on IB

• Advertisement

yes its available on IB

thanks, I ended up buying more crud instead, it has been showing the same graph all the time, so rather than swap over, I stayed with DeGiro.

I presume you went long? I work in the industry and we are expecting a bounce on this and natural gas

I presume you went long? I work in the industry and we are expecting a bounce on this and natural gas

Yeah, I went long. I had sold a lot when we had the iran/iraq affair a few weeks ago, it was around $68 per brl. I figure anything around 55 is a good price to buy back in, minimum 10% profit, hopefully more.
    When, and for what reason do you see a bounce occurring?

• Registered Users Posts: 28 hobes

EUR20,000 i believe by the Dutch authories, if Degiro disappeared overnight

That's €20k cash by the way. Your shares are held separately and won't be affected if Degiro go under.

Also, never hold your cash on any exchange, but €20k is pretty decent to be covered in all honesty.

Yeah, I went long. I had sold a lot when we had the iran/iraq affair a few weeks ago, it was around $68 per brl. I figure anything around 55 is a good price to buy back in, minimum 10% profit, hopefully more.
    When, and for what reason do you see a bounce occurring?

It is generally accepted that buyers and sellers in the market are happy when crude trades in the 55 - 65 range.

So in that case it below that and once the Virus news goes away a raise to 60 should happen quickly

• Registered Users Posts: 20 damir1908

Hi everyone,

Did you heard about Andrew Aziz and bearbulltraders ? I watched couple of videos on youtube and this guy seems to be very legit because he is saying honestly that day trading is not easy, success rate is low and its taking months to practice on simulator even himself is using simulator even he wrote books about it. Also if someone is willing to connect with me i would appreciate a lot for asking questions and creating a surrounding for the profession i started looking into past 4 months. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭JMMCapital

damir1908 wrote: »
    Hi everyone,

Did you heard about Andrew Aziz and bearbulltraders ? I watched couple of videos on youtube and this guy seems to be very legit because he is saying honestly that day trading is not easy, success rate is low and its taking months to practice on simulator even himself is using simulator even he wrote books about it. Also if someone is willing to connect with me i would appreciate a lot for asking questions and creating a surrounding for the profession i started looking into past 4 months. :)

Any successful trader worth their salt would not be selling trading courses.
    He is simply feeding you with stuff you want to hear sucking you into one of his courses.
    Do you mean "Demo account" by simulator? Absolute waste of time you need to have skin in the game or you will never learn anything.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,000 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Hi everyone,

I spend thirty years working in the industry specializing in one area - performance and attribution and without hesitation I can tell you that the only long term successful traders are the ones that sell you a book, a course, data or a tool....

It really should not surprise you because trading is based on an incredible dumb idea - you can predict human behavior using mathematical equations that model neither that behavior nor the general economic situation in which that behavior occurs. But of course the math of finance are very seductive, because for short periods they appear give some kind of simple meaning to a complex situation and you will be lulled into believing it actually works... but in the long term you will be lucky to come away with the money you started with.

Now you can choose whether you want to make Andrew Ariz rich or grow your own wealth by learning to invest... the choice is yours. Personally I’m betting on Andrew, but I suppose there is a small chance you might bet on yourself.

So your advise would be to stay away from this idea and learning other things ?

So your advise would be to stay away from this idea and learning other things ?

What do you want to achieve and how much time are you willing to put in?

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    What do you want to achieve and how much time are you willing to put in?

Financial freedom so i dont need 9 to 5, what ever it takes life is to short to work for someone else . :)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

Traders tend to work a lot more hours than a 9 to 5 worker.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Nemeses2050

DankeyKang wrote: »
    Absolutely agree with you about real money vs demo. My plan is to always trade with stop losses at 1% and never let a loss build up or hold one overnight in the hopes it will correct itself. From what I've seen so far I would actually say it's easier to make money day trading than to not lose it. The best "loser" would be profitable.

1% stop loss is too tight, considering the volatility at the moment, it would hit in no time. Normally 5% would be a good SL.

Financial freedom so i dont need 9 to 5, what ever it takes life is to short to work for someone else . :)

Well this is not going to get you there.... all you'll do is work longer in a high pressure environment and if you are look come out with the money you put in after say 30 years.

Many moons ago I happened to take a meeting with one of founding partners at big four in Dublin and at one point someone started trying to butter him up by commenting on how hard he must have worked to build up the firm.... in a very factual manner he pointed out that he had only worked hard for a few years, then he hired other people to work hard.

Start a business, you're more likely to achieve your objective that way....

Alternatively learn to invest and expect to retire at around say 55.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

I've started forex trading around six weeks ago, and have spent every minute learning, learning and learning!

I started with real money which in hindsight was silly, although I could afford to lose it, a few hundred.

However it was now taught me great lessons since I have the experience of real time trading.

I want to focus on short term day trading.

I've tried so many indicators and strategies already but have found combining technical and fundamental analysis to be my own 'holy grail' ha.

Its definitely time consuming but I find it all extremely interesting, learning about not only charts but economic indicators and different markets.

I've become a bit obsessed with it definitely but hoping to turn it into a career.

You definitely need time to be a day trader. I've often spent 12 hours sucked up in the charts and courses online.

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭codrulz

I've started forex trading around six weeks ago, and have spent every minute learning, learning and learning!

I started with real money which in hindsight was silly, although I could afford to lose it, a few hundred.

However it was now taught me great lessons since I have the experience of real time trading.

I want to focus on short term day trading.

I've tried so many indicators and strategies already but have found combining technical and fundamental analysis to be my own 'holy grail' ha.

Its definitely time consuming but I find it all extremely interesting, learning about not only charts but economic indicators and different markets.

I've become a bit obsessed with it definitely but hoping to turn it into a career.

You definitely need time to be a day trader. I've often spent 12 hours sucked up in the charts and courses online.

Don't waste your time looking at charts all day. Use charts to help set your parameters (SL, TP) and check levels, kidding yourself if you think you'll get much more than that from TA.

So many hours working to loose money.... spend a couple of hours researching what actually works and dig up a list of all the day traders who have been successful over the long run.

The reality is that anyone dollar cost averaging on common ETFs and spending a few hours a year managing their asset allocation is likely to out perform you by several factors...

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

Jim2007 wrote: »
    So many hours working to loose money.... spend a couple of hours researching what actually works and dig up a list of all the day traders who have been successful over the long run.

The reality is that anyone dollar cost averaging on common ETFs and spending a few hours a year managing their asset allocation is likely to out perform you by several factors...

Yep, (sad?) truth. Although with IE tax on RTFs this is slightly less efficient compared to many other countries (and regular buying makes Revenue paperwork slightly more complicated then buying once/twice per year)

• Registered Users Posts: 766 ✭✭✭jams100

Hi, I'm relatively new to trading, I'm using the Degiro platform, just really testing it out at the minute. I've bought 2 Aviva shares ;247.20 which should = £494.40 but in the Aviva1 picture it says it's value is -€5.68

What does that mean? should the value not be the £494.40 just converted into euro?
    Has this something to do with the money market funds?
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭iAcesHigh

jams100 wrote: »
    Hi, I'm relatively new to trading, I'm using the Degiro platform, just really testing it out at the minute. I've bought 2 Aviva shares ;247.20 which should = £494.40 but in the Aviva1 picture it says it's value is -€5.68

What does that mean? should the value not be the £494.40 just converted into euro?
    Has this something to do with the money market funds?
    Thanks in advance for any help :)

GBX 494.40 isn't the same as GBP 494.40 - GBX represents pennies hence one share is £4.944

Total £4.944 x 2 + €4 (Degiro fee)

Advertisement