Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Access to a boat in a private marina for service and inspection

• 27-04-2020 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

My local marina is closed due to the covid19 lockdown. I have a boat moored in a private marina and have, for years, inspected it on nearly a weekly basis for ropes, fender and onboard systems condition. Onboard systems would include batteries, mains battery charging. Would also check for water ingress and bilge pumps operation.

Has anyone any insight or experience on how the covid 19 restrictions cater for such inspection by owner.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The only reasons you can leave your home

Stay at home in all circumstances, except in the following situations:

to travel to and from work where the work is considered an essential service. The full list of essential services is available here
    working in an essential shop, bank or post office. The full list of essential shops, post offices and banks is available here

to buy food, medicines and other health products for yourself, your family or someone who is vulnerable or 'cocooning'
    to attend medical appointments

for vital family reasons including caring for children, elderly or vulnerable people but excluding social family visits

to exercise within 2 kilometres of your house. You cannot exercise with people from outside your household

Your boat isn't on the list, petition the Government to remove these restrictions and allow you to get access.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,872 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

There's a lot of us waiting to get access to our boats at the moment, but unfortunately we must wait until the government relax the restrictions to a point where we can make the journey to/from the marinas/harbours where they are located.

If you're on a private marina, you can be sure that the marina staff will be doing making rounds to check on the boats (I know that's what's happening at Malahide Marina).

There could be some easing of restrictions next week which could permit travelling to/from marinas/boat yards, but until it's announced, we cannot go anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 nconroy

Thanks everybody for replies.
    It looks like we may have to wait and see what happens in the next review of the covid restrictions, I have looked on other forums and there is nothing to see on the subject.

My marina is on Lough Derg and the owner does check the ropes and fenders and any other external elements of the mooring.
    I don't expect him (not that I would mind) to go onboard and check the internal systems, every boat is different and he would not be familiar with them.

Apart from my personal wish to inspect the boat, my insurance policy has an expectation that due care is been taken to ensure the boat does not sink whilst laid up at its mooring.

I am going to take a trip up and we will see if I can convince the Guards that this is an essential maintance trip to inspect the boat.

I will let you know what happens.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

nconroy wrote: »

I am going to take a trip up and we will see if I can convince the Guards that this is an essential maintance trip to inspect the boat.

I will let you know what happens.

Your boat will be fine if its in a marina they will know if it is listing or filling up with water and will deal with it the last thing they want is an oil and fuel spill to clean up.
    Taking a trip that is not necessary puts other people at risk that don't give a dam about your boat, what if you got involved in an accident and crashed your car or fell off the dock an banged your head the amount of people that would be involved in getting you to hospital would all be putting themselves and you at risk.
    We all love our boats here but love our families more please play by the rules and stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,032 ✭✭✭✭neris

• Advertisement
Advertisement