Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Normal People [BBC - RTE] - [**SPOILERS**]

• 01-04-2020 6:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭

Anyone else going to watch this? New trailer out now: https://www.rte.ie/entertainment/2020/0331/1127687-normal-people/

I loved the book- such a simple story, well told. I know a lot of people thought it was overrated but I just loved it, it was so quiet and heartfelt.

They've cast a British actress as Marianne, which I was a bit apprehensive about, but her accent sounds fine in the trailer!

Looking forward to this, hopefully it's a good adaptation of the source material.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,817 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

BBC Three’s Sally Rooney adaptation Normal People will premiere on Sunday April 26th

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Really looking forward to this, loved the book. Was surprised when I read it was 12 episodes. i think they will really big up the drama in it. Great that it is jointly backed by Hulu and the BBC looks good production value.

It begins RTÉ One on the 28th of April directed by Lenny Abrahamson and Hettie Macdonald

• Registered Users Posts: 9,800 ✭✭✭take everything

Saw the ad for it and I think I'll be watching it.
    Dunno why it resonates but it just looks like it could be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,816 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

So looking forward to this I found the book pretty affecting, the trailer looks excellent

• Advertisement

The lead actress looks like Dakota Johnson from Fifty Shades of Grey

All episodes of this are on iPlayer!

I have watched the first two episodes.

Excellent job so far, very in keeping with the book, the central two are outstanding. Hopefully it keeps up the standard over the 12 episodes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,296 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

JP Liz V1 wrote: »

I thought she looks like Lily Allen

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭amusicalfrog

this show makes me almost miss the awful institution of trinity - coming out just as i finish up 4th year unable to actually go into college anymore couldn't have been better timing for maximum wistfulness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,002 ✭✭✭Shelga

Skerries wrote: »
    I thought she looks like Lily Allen

I found myself thinking she also looks like Anne Hathaway. Whoever she looks like, she's beautiful!

Well, I have assignments due, so obviously I watched all 12 episodes today :eek:

Absolutely amazing, couldn't have asked for a better adaptation of the book. Was bawling on and off throughout. I love love loved it.
    Especially Connell's scene in episode 10 with the counsellor. Sublime acting, give Paul Mescal all the awards. So many people will identify with what the character is feeling in this scene.

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭Slipperydodger

Ah lads, absolutely outstanding adaption of the book. I hope and believe it will receive all of the plaudits it richly deserves. I have watched 8 episodes so far and like the book it has had a profound impact on me. It is just so very real. The series has been very well shot and the performances by both the lead actors are perfect. I was mesmerised by the chemistry between these two. 10/10 would recommend.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

First 2 episodes down.. nice to see some local spots around Sligo.

Soundtrack is mighty good too - Imogen Heap and Elliott Smith? I approve!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Just watching this on BBC One. Not afraid of a confident cliché. Withdrawn oddball falls for decent skin jock as he wins the schools match. Love across the class divide and so on:)

Just watching this on BBC One. Not afraid of a confident cliché. Withdrawn oddball falls for decent skin jock as he wins the schools match. Love across the class divide and so on:)
    Lot more to it than that imo, at least in the book.
    It's 12 episodes....I wouldn't base an opinion on just the first couple episodes.
    I am up to episode 7 and I love it I have to say very faithful to the book. The book would in no way be my normal genre, I am more into thrillers, horror etc but it dragged me in and found it hugely relatable and involving.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,133 ✭✭✭GottaGetGatt

Very good. Two leads are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭4Ad

Cant say I thought much of it so far..

• Registered Users Posts: 12,772 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

20 minutes in the first episode and I'm out.

Not for me.

Loves young dream in school....not really geared for my demographic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,700 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Maybe I'm too old or something, but I don't really get this. Your man looks about 35 though in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭JoeExotic81

I'm liking it! Bit cheesy, but the writing seems solid, very well made, good acting, and it's Irish! Exciting it might be an international hit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,363 ✭✭✭✭extra gravy

On episode 2, is it all just sex?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

RTE are showing it at 10.15 PM, while the BBC has it at 9 PM. Is it cos of the boobies?

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,081 Mod ✭✭✭✭ziedth

I watched first two episodes last night and while the acting is very good all around and I enjoyed it I'm really not seeing where the love in is coming from. Like granted my secondary school experience goes back almost 20 years at this point but in our day if someone went off with someone who was shall we say on the less attractive side (and despite how they aim to make her look plain Daisy Edgar-Jones as far from ugly) yea might get a bit of grief from the "lads" but it would be forgotten about by the end of the week.

I was borderline screaming at the telly "for Christ sake your leaving school in a few weeks what do you care what your mates think" and even a simple line "Jesus, I was talking to Marianne when my mam was doing the cleaning in her house and she's pretty actually sound.... Think i'll chance her......"

I'll watch it and all but I think i'll loose my mind if the story lives in the little bubble from the first two episodes. I also agree that Connell looks at least in his mid 20's (although to be fair to him he seems like a decent actor)

ziedth wrote: »
    I watched first two episodes last night and while the acting is very good all around and I enjoyed it I'm really not seeing where the love in is coming from. Like granted my secondary school experience goes back almost 20 years at this point but in our day if someone went off with someone who was shall we say on the less attractive side (and despite how they aim to make her look plain Daisy Edgar-Jones as far from ugly) yea might get a bit of grief from the "lads" but it would be forgotten about by the end of the week.

I was borderline screaming at the telly "for Christ sake your leaving school in a few weeks what do you care what your mates think" and even a simple line "Jesus, I was talking to Marianne when my mam was doing the cleaning in her house and she's pretty actually sound.... Think i'll chance her......"

I'll watch it and all but I think i'll loose my mind if the story lives in the little bubble from the first two episodes. I also agree that Connell looks at least in his mid 20's (although to be fair to him he seems like a decent actor)

And then asking yer one to the debs, like grow a pair man.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,100 ✭✭✭corkie

Daisy Edgar-Jones

MV5BZWMzNTE4NTMtYWU0My00ZTQ5LWEyNmUtNjk4NmU0YjY3YmIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU0OTkyNTk@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Dakota Johnson

MV5BODE1ODE5MzY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg1NDA4NTM@._V1_UY317_CR51,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

In some of the trailer clips, they looked more alike with expressions and scenes!!??

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You in Politics

• Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps
    • Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

^

Ah here.. can we lose the handwriting font?

Feel like I'm reading a first draft of 'Sense & Sensibility'.

I'm probably going to be in the minority with this opinion but I found it pretty boring. Neither character was particularly interesting and the on/off aspect of their relationship got tedious after a while. As did the sex scenes. Most of the characters in it were t**ts as well. Not one likeable one to be seen apart from his mother. I don't think this type of drama is for me!

corkie wrote: »
    Daisy Edgar-Jones

MV5BZWMzNTE4NTMtYWU0My00ZTQ5LWEyNmUtNjk4NmU0YjY3YmIzXkEyXkFqcGdeQXVyODU0OTkyNTk@._V1_UY317_CR20,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Dakota Johnson

MV5BODE1ODE5MzY5M15BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNDg1NDA4NTM@._V1_UY317_CR51,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

In some of the trailer clips, they looked more alike with expressions and scenes!!??

th?id=OIP.1Zjc727Qz6BuUb5OVM59FgHaEK&pid=Api&P=0&w=275&h=155

Dakota as Anastasia

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,957 ✭✭✭Dots1982

Watched the first episode. Probably fair to say this is not near as edgy as Lenny Abrahamsom would normally deliver. Which is fine but probably not for me.

• Advertisement

Dakota as Anastasia
    As opposed to her other well-known roles? :D

Advertisement