Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A/R/TIST IN THE SPOTLIGHT - Lambay island

• 26-04-2020 8:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭

My time on this thread has come to an end & thank you all for the many questions I got to answer. I will now pass the thread over to Lambay island who has kindly accepted my invitation.

Lambay island has been one of the huge success stories from the Novice thread last year debuting his 1st ever marathon in 3:25 then going on to PB his half marathon distance in Bohermeen this year in a time of 1:24, which I had the pleasure of warming up & cooling down with him:D His training has been so admirable, early mornings & very consistent which reflects in every race or TT he puts his hand to. The only problem now with all this fame & glory is that I don't think people are gonna tolerate any more sandbagging:P I will start the thread of with a few easy enough questions;)

1. Are you human:eek: (a question everyone would like to know)?
    2. Favourite race you have raced & why?
    3. Favourite session & why?
    4. Least favorite session?
    5. How do you deal with the really tough parts in a race mentally?
    6. What are your hobbies/interests outside of running?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I'll get my questions in early before those who have been alerted to your existence in the TT jump in...

1. Have you ever been to Lambay Island? Why pick it as a username?

2. Some regular posters on here have very definite favourite events be that 5k, 10k, HM or full....and that's not forgetting the track fairies! Have you any leanings towards any particular distance?

3. You have mentioned starting running previously before stopping it and attributing it to laziness...any chance of it returning this time?

4. You could have one, and only one, takeaway meal...what would it be and from what establishment?

5. In the light of recent performances would you care to revise your target times for this year...mile, 5k, 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, HM and full marathon...

6. What time do you go to bed at?

7. Favourite movie?

8. What level football did you play at?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

1. Dub, yes or no?
    2. Favourite place to run?
    3. Alcoholic tipple of choice?
    4. Soccer team supported & why?
    5. Running, why take to it?
    6. Part of running you feel you can improve on?
    7. Are you mentally tough when it comes to the tough part of racing? If yes, why so?
    8. How many hours sleep a night do you survive on?
    9. Favourite crisp flavour?
    10. 4 people from any walk of life to run with, who & why?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

I have two kids and similar age to yourself..... How do you manage running running without exhausting yourself ?

What do you work as?

What has been the biggest factor in your improvement? Consistency, speedwork, tempo work? Any thoughts?

What times do you think you could achieve at your favourite distances?

Long term running goals?

How many new followers in Strava do you have in the last two weeks?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

I was hoping Laineyfrecks would choose you... Great choice!

1) What's your alcoholic beverage of choice?
    2) What motivates you to run, and improve?
    3) What's your favourite running memory to date?
    4) Medals... pride of place, or stuck in a drawer?
    5) Have you thought about joining a club, or getting a coach?
    6) Favourite TV show?
    7) How are you finding lockdown life?
    8) Any race that you'd love to do?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

1. Messi or Ronaldo?
    2. Post run snack of choice?
    3. Weirdest thing you have seen while out on a run?
    4. What motivates you?
    5. If the human body didn't need sleep what would you spend that time doing?
    6. Ever been caught short on a run? What evasive action did you take if so?!
    7. What round number at any distance would give you the biggest sense of achievement if/when you did it?
    8. What's is your athletic kryptonite?
    9. Favourite running accessaory/clothing/footwear?
    10. What do you think is the biggest single factor in your improvement to date?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Honestly, your progress curve is electric. What's the real story behind it?

What does your morning routine look like?

What is your take on Trump?

How many press ups can you do to fail?

Do you/would you use Vaporfly/Alphafly?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭Lambay island

My time on this thread has come to an end & thank you all for the many questions I got to answer. I will now pass the thread over to Lambay island who has kindly accepted my invitation.

Lambay island has been one of the huge success stories from the Novice thread last year debuting his 1st ever marathon in 3:25 then going on to PB his half marathon distance in Bohermeen this year in a time of 1:24, which I had the pleasure of warming up & cooling down with him:D His training has been so admirable, early mornings & very consistent which reflects in every race or TT he puts his hand to. The only problem now with all this fame & glory is that I don't think people are gonna tolerate any more sandbagging:P I will start the thread of with a few easy enough questions;)

Cheers E. I was a bit sceptical to do this when ya mentioned it but sure what could possibly go wrong?:rolleyes:

I really enjoyed batch reading your spotlight the other day . I can safely say the masses wont be treated to any fancy poetry this time, perhaps a dirty limerick is about as much as I could muster.

1. Are you humaneek.png (a question everyone would like to know)?

I have been called plenty of things over the years mostly by the O/H but still a human as far as I know :)

2. Favourite race you have raced & why?

Not that many to choose from but it has to be my first and only Marathon so far. The whole experience of Dublin Marathon was better than I imagined. The atmosphere is simply brilliant and having the family and folks out cheering me on is something I won't forget.

3. Favourite session & why?

I enjoy doing anything Tempo or CV. I did a 30 or 40 Min tempo last week and it was defo my most enjoyable run of the week anyway. I think I see myself as a Marathon runner(despite lack of long runs recently) so training at MP is where I get the most satisfaction

4. Least favorite session?

Any 5k training run really. 600's, 800's, 5x3 mins, 6x4 mins. Its all just hard work isn't it!?

5. How do you deal with the really tough parts in a race mentally?

Good question. I had a moment when I cramped up quite bad approaching the RDS in DCM. I wish I had known of the aul AMK 'punch the living hell out of your legs technique' at the time. I eventually had to stop due to pain. I took the 20 seconds needed, recouped, stretched and just convinced myself, I hadn't come this far to let a bit of cramp define my race. it seemed to work that time anyway.

6. What are your hobbies/interests outside of running?

I like eating and drinking:)
    I basically like any sport to play or watch. Played quite a bit of soccer and golf over the years. No longer play soccer, and golf has taken a back seat to the running in the last 9 months or so.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    I'll get my questions in early before those who have been alerted to your existence in the TT jump in...

1. Have you ever been to Lambay Island? Why pick it as a username?

No but I would like to go over there. Murph D asked me this before actually. It was a complete random pick. I was reading an article on the wallabies over on Lambay Island the day I set up this boards acc, Oh yeh, I also forgot the capital letter in Island.

2. Some regular posters on here have very definite favourite events be that 5k, 10k, HM or full....and that's not forgetting the track fairies! Have you any leanings towards any particular distance?

I'm not 100% sure on this one yet. I thought I would hate the 5k prior to Jingle Bells, but I've grown to like that distance now ;)
    I'm leaning towards the Half or Full on this question presently.

3. You have mentioned starting running previously before stopping it and attributing it to laziness...any chance of it returning this time?

I really hope not S. In previous times, I never saw myself as a runner and never trained for a race bar a half hour run here or there. I have a different perspective these days with two young kids. The running is now the ME time and I have grown to treasure it.

4. You could have one, and only one, takeaway meal...what would it be and from what establishment?

Had to think about this but an aul Zaytoon Donor Kebab after a hape of pints sounds good right now. Cod and Chips from leo Burdocks would be my go to answer here though.

5. In the light of recent performances would you care to revise your target times for this year...mile, 5k, 5 mile, 10k, 10 mile, HM and full marathon...

NO :D:D:D ..joking aside, Its all about the sub 3 marathon now but I don't believe I will get a chance now at that this year

6. What time do you go to bed at?

ah it varies, pretty much always in bed before midnight anyway. 6 hours sleep is about all I need and the very max i can ever get these days anyway

7. Favourite movie?

Big fan of "A bronx Tale"

8. What level football did you play at?

I played a bit of premier, mostly Major DDSL as a teenager with Rovers. As an adult I regressed and played mostly with the local Saturday side

• Registered Users Posts: 1,525 ✭✭✭py

Had to think about this but an aul Zaytoon Donor Kebab after a hape of pints sounds good right now.

The only acceptable answer to this question. :p

OOnegative wrote: »

1. Dub, yes or no?

Yes, married a Dub, both parents were Dubs and 3 of the 4 Grand Parents were Dubs too

2. Favourite place to run?

Traing for DCM last year, I was in France near the vinyards of Burgundy. There is a canal that stretches for 50k near Dijon with the most peaceful Greenway next to it. You could run all day on it.

3. Alcoholic tipple of choice?

A simple plain Pint of Guinness - I miss it frown.png

4. Soccer team supported & why?

I was always country before any club growing up. My dad used to take me to Ireland matches from a young age. I have the usual affinity for Celtic and have always supported Man Utd.

5. Running, why take to it?

Its just so accessible really. I had to stop playing football due to a dodgy Knee so I thought running would be too hard also. I lost a bit of weight and suddenly the knee was starting to play ball for the running

6. Part of running you feel you can improve on?

I'm very raw B. I don't really know what I'm doing most of the time in terms of sessions and so on. A club and their fixed times for runs wouldn't suit me right now but after the Virus F's off, I may seek out a Coach.

7. Are you mentally tough when it comes to the tough part of racing? If yes, why so?

I don't fully know yet. I see myself as strong willed these days so I would like to think Yes

8. How many hours sleep a night do you survive on?

I like to get 6 but I have survived on a lot less

9. Favourite crisp flavour?

Salt and Vinegar

10. 4 people from any walk of life to run with, who & why?

Paul McGrath to talk about our dodgy knees and the fact that hes a legend

The comedian Kevin Bridges. Met him randomly on a stag in a bar in Boston a couple of years ago and he is just as funny in real life

2 of my Uncles were marathon runners in their day and they still run now. I have many questions for them. This is an achievable one too.

My 4 year old. hes already showing an interest in it.

• Advertisement

I have two kids and similar age to yourself..... How do you manage running running without exhausting yourself ?

It's not easy at all right!?. I suppose its Trial and Error. My young lad is 4 now but he had pretty severe Reflux as a baby. It was hell for a year and I learned to get by on very little sleep. I would never have been able to run then. My daughter is 18 months now and was lucky enough not to have the same issues. I was suddenly refreshed and not walking around like a zombie. Running was now an option

What do you work as?

Sports Betting Company(cough, cough, Gambling Industry). Not many sports on now:eek:

What has been the biggest factor in your improvement? Consistency, speedwork, tempo work? Any thoughts?

100% Consistency. Simply just running as often as I can. I had never done that before. I have also gained confidence from results and am attempting to push on a bit each time to see where my limit is

What times do you think you could achieve at your favourite distances?

I really don't know. I would have never thought I could have gone sub 18 this year let alone sub 17 for 5k(albeit time trials). I believe I can go sub 3 on marathon now but I would need to build endurance over a solid plan. I was super chuffed with my 1.24 in Bohermeen Half but I feel I could have pulled trigger a bit earlier in that race.

Long term running goals?

I have no major Goal. I suppose a big city marathon at some stage would be nice but at same time I wouldn't lose sleep over it. I just want to keep on running so that's my main goal really.

How many new followers in Strava do you have in the last two weeks?

Ha, I'm not sure actually - maybe 5 or 6

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

What do you work as?

Sports Betting Company(cough, cough, Gambling Industry). Not many sports on now:eek:

How is your Belarusian coming along? :D

Some great answers so far fair play. I’ll be honest as one of your new strava followers been great catching up on your progress.

1. How did you find the forum or what made you decide to seek it out?

2. What are the pie in the Sky PBs? As in the times where you say I could retire happy with those.

3. Which is your kryptonite? Sweet or Savoury

4. If you could line up on any start line at the Olympics what event would it be?

5. What are the uncles marathon times? Long term targets?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

Any niggles, injury concerns in general? Do you do anything to prevent them like strength work, prehab etc?

Ever consider track racing?

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    I was hoping Laineyfrecks would choose you... Great choice!

Cheers A. I really hope you catch a break on the injury front soon.

I mentioned it above but I like a pint of Guinness. I also like a cold Bulmers, red wine and wouldn't turn my nose up at a beer either to be fair. :o

The pure enjoyment of getting out and having time to think. I have figured out a few work riddles while pounding the pavements. I rarely listen to music and only occasionally listen to podcasts on runs. I haven't used the earphones since lockdown. In terms of improvement, I can be quite competitive with myself. The improvement has really been a by product of just getting out and running.

DCM19- Meeting the family at Heartbreak Hill then finally getting over that dam line in Town

I actually have a draw with medals in them alright.. My parents still have a cabinet at home with some medals I won growing up.I wouldn't be bothered hoarding my own now, but I'm sure I will do something similar for my own kids.

Yeh I have thought about it, Defo not right time for me with a club. A coach is something I will consider though. I must admit though, I do like doing my own thing and its done alright for me so far.

6) Favourite TV show?
    I do like some of the higher rated stuff, Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad. I think Better Call Saul is highly underated due to Breaking Bad been released first. I actually think its better and love when it drops on Netflix each week

Great question
    Monotonous. Groundhog Day. There are some hidden pluses like actually spending more quality time with the Kids. Its that generation along with the Seniors that I feel the most for.

Not really, maybe Boston, think I would like a crack at Berlin too but no real bucket list

1. Messi or Ronaldo?

Messi is the more naturally talented footballer but in terms of football alone, I admire Ronaldo More. His drive to succeed and work ethic are Lethal. It was Ferguson who said , he was always first out in the morning and last to leave the training ground every day. Now, he may not be clean in the terms of PED'S but who knows on any sports star on that front

2. Post run snack of choice?

All my runs are pretty early at the min. I'm loving eggs after at the minute, whether they are boiled, fried, scrambled or poshly poached, they are all going down the hatch

3. Weirdest thing you have seen while out on a run?

I wasn't going to post this as probably makes me out to be a bit of a loon. Back on the same holiday I mentioned earlier when I was training for DCM. I was running at sunrise in an early morn holiday town In Normandy (barefoot actually, but that's a whole other different story).
    I was making my way down to the beach via a boat slipway. The tide was well out and i only spotted one other person on the beach in the distance walking from rocks slowly towards the sea direction. I didn't think much more of it but all of 30 seconds later when I got on the beach i was running in that direction.
    The person I saw was no longer there.
    WTF. They simply couldn't have got to the sea in that time period or back to the rocks for that matter. They were absolutely nowhere to be seen. It freaked me out, the crap going through my head was mad. It was where the D day landings were. "could it have been a spirit of a fallen soldier" - "Ah shut up ya mad sprout, you imagined it". Anyway off i went up the beach reluctantly and tried to forget it.

I'll have to revisit the rest of your questions later J.
    Parenthood calling aggressively

why were you running barefoot :)

Part Deux

4. What motivates you?

I'm not sure how to answer this one . It has been satisfying getting fitter over the last year. I remember a time not too long ago when all my T shirts and shirts were too tight .I was always doing that pull your shirt out before I sat down thing, incase a button took out someones eye. I was never really big as such, just simply unfit.

5. If the human body didn't need sleep what would you spend that time doing?

Trying to sleep anyway, even just for the break.

6. Ever been caught short on a run? What evasive action did you take if so?!

:D
    I have been lucky enough never to have been lets say fully caught out here but have had a couple of near misses alright. One only been about 6 weeks ago, I was closer to the local park(with public toliets) then home when my body was telling me something I really didn't want to hear at the time. I didn't know if the park was open yet but took the gamble and shuffled over there like my ankles were chained together. It was open thank god, so got away with that by the skin off my teeth.
    I wouldn't have made it home .
    TMI?

7. What round number at any distance would give you the biggest sense of achievement if/when you did it?

Not quite round but the sub 3 for marathon.

8. What's is your athletic kryptonite?

I have little or no cartlidge in my right knee, so 180 degree turns clockwise in a race or at pace are very hard to negotiate for me. There is one in St Annes Park in the Raheny 5, that I had to just take very gingerly.

9. Favourite running accessaory/clothing/footwear?

When commuting to or from the office back in the dark ages at this stage, my phone holder strap is a necessity to bring, phone, laser, key etc.

10. What do you think is the biggest single factor in your improvement to date?

Consistency, just getting out there whatever the weather.

Honestly, your progress curve is electric. What's the real story behind it?

Firstly thanks for comment, I really enjoy reading your log and how you describe your runs.
    There's no real Eureka moment here. I knew for years If I got myself to a stage where I was semi fit even, I may be able to be ok at this running lark. Playing ball over the years, I was fast over the 20 -30 metre sprints but bombed out in any form of longer runs in training. I was lazy. Simply getting out for easy Miles on a regular base gave me the fitness to build on. The Novice Thread was a massive thing for me. I may not have even done the Marathon, let alone anything else if I didn't find that thread in July. MR Guappa, Huzzah and ReeReeG did some great stuff there.

What does your morning routine look like?

At the moment, the majority of my runs are early morning. It just suits at the minute with trying to juggle minding kids and the 2 of us working from home. I don't use an alarm, I just kind of naturally wake about 10 mins before I need go out. It's a bit weird actually. I have the running gear left downstairs. I just sneak down trying not to wake anyone and get out there and then on the empty stomach. On the return, kids are either just up or not far from getting up so, quick shower and the do all the breakfast stuff and log into work.

What is your take on Trump?

Nearly 4 years on, but its still nuts that he is the President of the United States. He's not most peoples cup of tea, but despite some of his ridiculous statements and stances, he clearly has to be an Intelligent man on some level to get where he is in life. I would have never voted for him anyway.

How many press ups can you do to fail?

I will have to get back to you on that one(note to self practice press ups)

Do you/would you use Vaporfly/Alphafly?

I purchased a pair of Vaporflys in January. I waited until the newer colour arrived. I wasn't mad keen on the bright pink ones. I felt a bit of a fraud rocking up to Raheny 5 in them initially to be honest. I'm not sure if I will spend that much money on a pair of kicks again but yeah they defo help. Recovery is where I find they are the best aid.

[B Playing ball over the years, I was fast over the 20 -30 metre sprints but bombed out in any form of longer runs in training.

you ARE a track runner, you just didn't realise it , ex fast footballers = good master track athletes. Time to quit the fun running and get down to the serious track business :D

KSU wrote: »

How is your Belarusian coming along? :D

Haha, a lot of people wont get that. Its mad what you can do when you have a Dictator in charge

Some great answers so far fair play. I’ll be honest as one of your new strava followers been great catching up on your progress.

Sound

1. How did you find the forum or what made you decide to seek it out?

A friend of mine was training for DCM last year and had mentioned he was using the Novice thread. Initially, I didnt embrace it and then I lurked for a while. Once I saw the advice given and how helpful all the contributors were, I became a bit more active

2. What are the pie in the Sky PBs? As in the times where you say I could retire happy with those.

It's not that I'm avoiding answering this question, but I just don't really know at the minute.I'm still learning. I don't want to put out random figures that mean nothing to me at present.

3. Which is your kryptonite? Sweet or Savoury

I am Eating chocolate fingers right now before my dinner. That probably answers your question :o

4. If you could line up on any start line at the Olympics what event would it be?

The 110 Metres hurdles. It would be a great source of entertainment for others watching a short arse like me trying to clear one of those hurdles let alone all of them.
    If I had to decide right now, I choose the Marathon

5. What are the uncles marathon times? Long term targets?

Good question, I'm ashamed to say I don't know exactly. The elder of the two was a sub 3 hr runner for sure and still in his late 60's now strolls around parkruns in 20 minutes. I just want to keep running and hopefully keep improving

cheers for the questions - Are you looking for any new recruits? ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,504 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

1. Do you think this is something that you will stick with for the foreseeable? (if you dont mind me asking, what age are you?)

2. Do you suffer with any niggles? If so, do you do any S&C to keep on top of them?

3. Which do you prefer - tea or coffee?

4. Are you finding it hard to find motivation knowing that there will probably be no races for 2020?

5. One race that is on the bucket list? (Abroad included)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

cheers for the questions - Are you looking for any new recruits?

Was hoping you'd ask him ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

My young lad is 4 now but he had pretty severe Reflux as a baby. It was hell for a year and I learned to get by on very little sleep. I would never have been able to run then. My daughter is 18 months now and was lucky enough not to have the same issues. I was suddenly refreshed and not walking around like a zombie. Running was now an option

My first two fellas' sleeping habits were the stuff of dreams. I'd just started running when they were very small and my sleep patterns weren't affected at all. Unlike the little tyrant I have now who is firmly in her 'terrible twos'! I wonder if I would have stuck with the running at the start if I was having the same sleep issues I have now.

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Any niggles, injury concerns in general? Do you do anything to prevent them like strength work, prehab etc?

Ever consider track racing?

On to yourself so :D

I have mentioned my knee in an above post since you asked this question. I basically damaged that about 7/8 years ago now. Theres was no ACL or lateral damage but I have learned that Knees are complex things. Someones full body weight just went through my standing stand leg and it hyper extended quite a a way back. I had keyhole a while later to repair the meniscus but its never really been the same since. I tried to build the muscle back up at the time and several times since but its never looked the same as the other leg either.
    why were you running barefoot :)

I brought this one on myself really, possibly subconsciously I wanted to tell this one.
    That aforementioned holiday to France is something that I have done regulalrly over the years, maybe every 2nd year. The MIL is French and is orginally from a small town in the middle of Burgundy. The In Laws spend 3 months of the summer in her original Family home which is now used as a summer home.
    The trip involves a ferry to Cherbourg from Dublin Port now(used to be Rosslare) and then a sh1t long drive of about 600km.
    I was doing this trip in an 09 Avensis like I had done 2 years previous. Yeh the car was getting a bit older but you would hardly class it as a relic- u might know where this is going now
    I had it serviced and NCT'd within 10 days of the trip. I rented a roofbox and bars from some geezer and filled the car which plenty of stuff. I may have been planning on bringing back a bottle or two of Burgundy red.
    Ferry journey then went well and we decided to break the trip off 600km over two days of driving. Stayed in a old medieval town south of Paris for the night. Just before Lunch, we set on our way and stopped just outside the town to fill up with petrol for the final 200km.
    I smelt a strong smell coming from the car but kinda put it off as was in an garage and could be just the pumps or whatever.

Anyway, about 15 mins further down the road both kids had just fell asleep and was looking forward to the peaceful cruise down the Motorway. I heard a noise rattling in car and the all of a sudden all the lights start flashing on dashboard saying System failure. We copped the sign post for 1000 metres to the next pull in. The car started to properly fail now and the rattle was getting louder. Just as i was entering the layby the car cut out completely so i ended up coasting the next 50 metres to not block the entrance.

Smoke starting blowing out from the bonnet so I got the kids out of the car as soon as possible, along with the passports :) I honestly thought it was about to blow as the noise and smell was unreal, It was puffing out smoke through the exhaust. I opened the bonnet at some stage here(no idea why) and the fumes actually made me puke.

To cut the story a bit shorter for my own sanity the car ended up been a write off as I wasnt covered for breadown assistance in France. I ended up Leaving it in the garage there to get destroyed. I had no key for the roof bars and i wanted to get that stuff back to the owner. I took great satisfaction in getting at the car a bit with a hammer to get the bars off intact.

It was right in middle of holiday season over there and the only car I could rent for a few days was a kia Piccanto which was about half the size - It was comical. I was already starting to laugh about the situation at this stage. I eventually was able to rent a bigger car and we were able to drive it all the way back to Cherbourg via 2 nights in Normandy and dump it there.

We had to travel light to Normandy as whatever we had, we would need to carry on to the ferry manually. We abandoned lots of stuff. The Bro in law ended up taking a chunk of it back a few weeks later.

We have good pics of us getting on the ferry via the cardeck without a car. One kid on my shoulders, One big bag on my back, the other kid in a buggy and me and the wife juggling 2 pricey car seats and another bag. The whole thing was ridicilous.

The reason I had no runners that morning was I left them behind as they were not essential. It turns out running is always essential.

you ARE a track runner, you just didn't realise it , ex fast footballers = good master track athletes. Time to quit the fun running and get down to the serious track business :D

On reading this you actually reminded me that I am a complete fraud. I had completely forgotten but I did in fact win a silver medal for 100 metre sprint in the Community Games in Santry when I was about 10 years old:eek:. I cant remember how i ended up there and who else was even there with me but It happened. If I remember correctly there was a lad who won by a street and the rest were just fighting for the medals. I never took part in any other track race before or after. .. So yeh whens training???

Damo 2k9 wrote: »

Firstly well done on that Barcelona Half. I took a lot from reading your race report before I took on Bohermeen

1. Do you think this is something that you will stick with for the foreseeable? (if you dont mind me asking, what age are you?)

How very dare you ask my age? :P I'm no spring chicken like you it seems, I'll be 39 next month. Yeh, I really hope to stick with it anyway.

2. Do you suffer with any niggles? If so, do you do any S&C to keep on top of them?

I have a dodgy Knee.. I'm not very good at doing S&C. It is defo something I need to work on. The missus was doing a Joe Wicks work out the other day. I tried to join in but made a show of myself. I do plenty of cycling when i'm not running too

3. Which do you prefer - tea or coffee?

Maybe a rare breed but I drink both in the day. I would have a coffee or two in the morn and a cuppa tea later on in the day

4. Are you finding it hard to find motivation knowing that there will probably be no races for 2020?

Yeh, i Suppose I am to a certain extent. I find if you think about it too much, it will only grate on you. I have kind of gone past that now and accepted in my head there will be no racing this year. If I happen to be wrong , sure its a bonus right!?

5. One race that is on the bucket list? (Abroad included)

Yeh I dont really have one as such. I really wanted to do Dublin so I was delighted to achieve that

• Registered Users Posts: 10,412 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

That’s quite the holiday nightmare story! Beats my puncture in Connemara adventure anyway.

1. Favourite Irish album/artist?
    2. Why do you think you’re not suited to a running club?
    3. What school/college. Were you good?
    4. What do you think about when you think about running?
    5. Any favourite running books?
    6. How’s your French?

Thanks!

Murph_D wrote: »

That’s quite the holiday nightmare story! Beats my puncture in Connemara adventure anyway.

I wouldn't fancy that either though.. In relation to that car story, | still managed to run approx 50 miles on that holiday. Running really helped me focus and made me realised how little I actually cared about the whole thing.

1. Favourite Irish album/artist?

I listen to any type of music really. I find there is a mood for every type of genre. Learning how to play a guitar, is something I would like to do. It just seems so liberating. I don't really have a favourite album but I spent countless hours of playing darts as a young fella listening to folk or trad music. I could listen to Christy Moore all day long.

2. Why do you think you’re not suited to a running club?

Long term, I definitely think I could be suited.There are a couple of strong clubs in my area that I have checked out. Its more a present situation that it simply doesn't fit with my work/life balance. I mostly work one of the weekend days and my wife works Mon-Fri. It leaves one day we can spend as a family. I don't want to be going off at half 9 for 2/3 hours and eating up a massive chunk of that time on that day.If I was going for a 2 hour plus run, I would be out the door by 5.30am. The times during the week also don't suit as I would need get out after 8pm too

3. What school/college. Were you good?

I went to St Benildus in Kilmacud and Tallaght IT. I was a very middle of the road type student. I would have heard the phrase "Apply yourself" quite a bit. I spent most my time in the latter years of school lining up for the school soccer team as opposed to studying. We had a very strong team at the time and some great memories of that and school in general to be fair.

4. What do you think about when you think about running?

Anything and everything - Food quite a bit :). I could run 2 or 3 miles and forget where I am or where I'm going, as I'm lost in my thoughts quite often

5. Any favourite running books?

No, but I'm all ears on this one. I do enjoy reading before I doze off, but I haven't tackled any proper running books as of yet. I did read David Epsetin The Sports Gene recently which I found interesting.

6. How’s your French?

You would think it would be good right!? Well yeh its not... I understand a lot of written French and I can get by in shops/restaurants with what I speak. I find Listening to natives very difficult due to accent and speed of speech. "APPLY YOURSELF".. My 4 year old is trilingual and it puts me to shame

Thanks!

Cheers, I enjoyed answering them

• Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Great choice!

Are there any early mornings where you have to force yourself out?? You are very consistent!
    Does your OH run / understand the need for running :p?
    Favourite pair of runners?
    Do you ever run up into the mountains which are so close to Marlay?
    Is DSD one of the clubs you were looking at :D
    If your knee magically healed would you rush back to football or has running got you now?
    What are you missing most during lockdown?
    Any hidden talents?

ReeReeG wrote: »
    Great choice!

Hi V , Hope all is well! Your current run streak has a very familiar look to it :) Great stuff

Are there any early mornings where you have to force yourself out?? You are very consistent!

Ah yeh, There have defo been a few morns where I felt groggy or just simply tired. Once I'm awake though i'll just get out however I'm feeling really - I always feel better after.. When I was back training for DCM, I had done quite a few early mornings but prior to lockdown, I was only doing earlies just once a week. Since working from home, it just suits me and us all better if I get out early.

Does your OH run / understand the need for running :p?

I'm very lucky on this front and get great support. She has done a couple of parkruns and a few charity 5k and 10k in the past alright. Potential is there to be a capable runner.

Favourite pair of runners?

I have a pair of Nike Legend React 2 Shield at the min. Little bit bulky but super comfortable for easy miles

Do you ever run up into the mountains which are so close to Marlay?

I actually did for the first time approx 4/5 weeks ago. I went about half way up to test the waters. There was one mile on that run with an elevation of 392 so its a steep MOFO. I was planning to go back to have a go at the peak the following week, but then it fell outside of my 2km radius with the lockdown. As a great half man/half machine once said "I'll be back"

Is DSD one of the clubs you were looking at :D

That your crib right!? Yeh, it sure was there along with Rathfarnham, I was referring to.

If your knee magically healed would you rush back to football or has running got you now?

Cool question. This got me thinking a bit, but then realised I'm too dam old for football anyway :D What I probably would do though is play one hour of astro a week for the social element. I always enjoyed the craic in those kickabouts.

What are you missing most during lockdown?

Again, You got me thinking here. There's a few things I miss but there's often some ways around it with zoom, whatsapp, social distancing etc...
    There is no real replacement of just catching up with a few friends and having a pint talking sh1te though.

Any hidden talents?

I can belt out a few tunes blowing through a leaf. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,701 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Cheers A. I really hope you catch a break on the injury front soon.

I mentioned it above but I like a pint of Guinness. I also like a cold Bulmers, red wine and wouldn't turn my nose up at a beer either to be fair. :o

The pure enjoyment of getting out and having time to think. I have figured out a few work riddles while pounding the pavements. I rarely listen to music and only occasionally listen to podcasts on runs. I haven't used the earphones since lockdown. In terms of improvement, I can be quite competitive with myself. The improvement has really been a by product of just getting out and running.

DCM19- Meeting the family at Heartbreak Hill then finally getting over that dam line in Town

I actually have a draw with medals in them alright.. My parents still have a cabinet at home with some medals I won growing up.I wouldn't be bothered hoarding my own now, but I'm sure I will do something similar for my own kids.

Yeh I have thought about it, Defo not right time for me with a club. A coach is something I will consider though. I must admit though, I do like doing my own thing and its done alright for me so far.

6) Favourite TV show?
    I do like some of the higher rated stuff, Sopranos, The Wire, Breaking Bad. I think Better Call Saul is highly underated due to Breaking Bad been released first. I actually think its better and love when it drops on Netflix each week

Great question
    Monotonous. Groundhog Day. There are some hidden pluses like actually spending more quality time with the Kids. Its that generation along with the Seniors that I feel the most for.

Not really, maybe Boston, think I would like a crack at Berlin too but no real bucket list

Great answers.. thanks! Those TV shows are right up my street I must admit.

I was looking through the 2020 goals thread earlier, and came across your post, which had:
    Current PB's
    5k - 18.31 - Target 18.2X
    10k - 40.54- Target Sub 40
    Half 1.32.46 - Target Sub 1.30
    Marathon 3.25.20 - Target Sub 3.15

Care to revise those? :)

Advertisement