Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is kim jong un dead ?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ash3070

What is considered beautiful in other countries doesn't always line up with what we perceive as beautiful. In most Asian countries, paler skin is seen as more desirable. Goes back to the idea that if you're tanned, you've probably spent much of your life on a farm and exposed to the sun. She's not the most stunning woman, however she's not unattractive based on their beauty standards. And as far as what other people have said about her 'looking evil', I can't help but disagree. If we had no idea who she was, she'd probably be just another woman in a crowd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Ash3070 wrote: »
    So I googled around to see who would be next in line. Officially he has no children as none of them have ever been displayed to the Korean public. However he did mention a child at the summit with Trump. South Korean and American intelligence have also indicated that he has a 10 year old son, a seven year old and a 3 year old daughter. 10 year old is obviously too young to take over now if his father IS dead.

He had 2 brothers, one of whom he famously murdered. The other one, the eldest Kim Jong-chul, is unlikely to step in. He has staunchly refused to involve himself in politics and prefers to just play guitar. So most likely it would go to the sister, Kim Yojong. He's been grooming her as a successor and in recent years, she's taken a much stronger involvement in politics and leadership. Interestingly(?) there has never been a female dictator to come into power in her own right, they've all seized power after the deaths of their dictator husband. Kim Yojong would of course also be taking power due to the death of a close male dictator, however she would be the first female dictator in history to have not been married to the previous one. Not useful information really but I thought it was interesting :) However like most countries run by dictators, North Korea are an extremely conservative country, unlikely to accept a female leader.

The ONLY other possible heir would be his nephews, Kim Han-sol, Kim Kum-sol and Kim Geum-sol. All unlikely given that they're currently in hiding as the sons of the brother Kim Jong-un assassinated.

It's also possible that the North Korean government could install a general unrelated to the Kim family. This would be notable however given that they would be the first person to rule unrelated to Kim Il-sung, the famous general who 'liberated' North Koreans and founded the nation (even though there's a lot of evidence that the person who went on to take power wasn't actually the real Kim Il-sung, that the real Kim Il-sung died in battle). North Koreans viewed KIS and to a slightly lesser extent, Kim Jong-Il as gods. This facade slipped a lot when they died, gods don't die after all. While Kim Jong-un is revered, it's not the way his father and grandfather were. It's not really because of divine right but for a lot of people it's because they don't want to be punished - and they don't want generations of their family to end up in gulags.

If power is given to someone outside of the Kim family though, the curtain is finally ripped off for good. It could VERY easily lead to civil war. Not something we really want with a country with a nuclear arsenal. Maybe down the line, a civil war could lead to reunification, however short and medium term, it's just going to be trouble.
    He has an uncle who was a diplomat in Europe. Recently returned to NK.
    He might be the one to sieze power

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

What is considered beautiful in other countries doesn't always line up with what we perceive as beautiful. In most Asian countries, paler skin is seen as more desirable. Goes back to the idea that if you're tanned, you've probably spent much of your life on a farm and exposed to the sun. She's not the most stunning woman, however she's not unattractive based on their beauty standards. And as far as what other people have said about her 'looking evil', I can't help but disagree. If we had no idea who she was, she'd probably be just another woman in a crowd.

She's a good looking woman by my standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Ash3070

He has an uncle who was a diplomat in Europe. Recently returned to NK.
    He might be the one to sieze power

Really? Would you mind telling me his name, I'm not familiar. The only uncles I know of are the one by marriage whom he had executed and the brother whom his father drowned as a child.
    *edit AH! He has the same name as the brother who drowned, that's where my confusion came in!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

She's a good looking woman by my standards

needs a few sessions on the sunbed imo and a visit to the hairdresser

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,534 ✭✭✭Chalk McHugh

Degag wrote: »
    Very strange post. Wipe out a whole country of innocent oppressed people just because they have a madman in charge?

You're right. It was a poorly worded post. I meant wiping out of the Evil Regime of fruitcakes that have destroyed the country for decades. Not the oppressed people.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,663 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

biko wrote: »
    Both Daily Mail and Daily Express agrees with you OP.
    Your copy of Pravada/Salon doesn't yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭monty_python

Really? Would you mind telling me his name, I'm not familiar. The only uncles I know of are the one by marriage whom he had executed and the brother whom his father drowned as a child.
    *edit AH! He has the same name as the brother who drowned, that's where my confusion came in!

Apologies, i wasnt 100% right. It's his father's half brother

"Other Kim family members who might take over include Kim Pyong Il, the 65-year-old half-brother of Kim Jong Il who reportedly returned home in November after decades in Europe as a diplomat"

https://www.aljazeera.com/news/2020/04/north-korea-media-silent-kim-jong-whereabouts-200422030039497.html

• Registered Users Posts: 13,355 ✭✭✭✭cj maxx

fryup wrote: »
    needs a few sessions on the sunbed imo and a visit to the hairdresser

Even then she might look different in the flesh

• Registered Users Posts: 1,102 ✭✭✭manonboard

The surgeon who's shaky hands seem to have left Rocket man in a vegetative state may not have got a good nights sleep last night.

I thought about him/her a few times while reading the thread. I keep getting unpleasant images in my head. I hope, they just killed him and that was that. Surgery goes wrong, it happens. But in such an unpleasant state. I fear terrible things would happen to him. Poor innocent person.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

manonboard wrote: »
    I thought about him/her a few times while reading the thread. I keep getting unpleasant images in my head. I hope, they just killed him and that was that. Surgery goes wrong, it happens. But in such an unpleasant state. I fear terrible things would happen to him. Poor innocent person.

Or it could have been done on purpose, and the next loolah is on the up.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

If he is dead, the army may be undergoing a massive clean up operation in the Gulags to try and make sure that they don't end up in a human rights court.

It's one thing that kind of keeps North Korea together, The Skeletons. There ain't many without blood on their hands.

Then in terms of the civilians, they will want to know who the informers were that had family members sent off to camps. It's going to be a right tear up.

If he is dead, the army may be undergoing a massive clean up operation in the Gulags to try and make sure that they don't end up in a human rights court.

but they'll never end up in the human rights court, they're a law unto themselves...even the UN has no say in what goes on there

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

fryup wrote: »
    but they'll never end up in the human rights court, they're a law unto themselves...even the UN has no say in what goes on there

But if North Korea falls in a way that doesn't include any amnesties, they will be. So a quick clean up job, have a good Friday style amnesty and the army leaders can live as free men.

• Registered Users Posts: 267 ✭✭overkill602

who ever takes over china will have a say they are wary an influx of NKs could create many problems not to mention cv19.
    South korea will be weary of a similar run for the border.
    I would question if the late nut job was in control with his list of medical problems.
    I hope it can open up but China wont ever tolerate a strong united korea

• Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭peckerhead

branie2 wrote: »
    If he was dead, it would be confirmed on the news

• Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭Get Real

But if North Korea falls in a way that doesn't include any amnesties, they will be. So a quick clean up job, have a good Friday style amnesty and the army leaders can live as free men.

A big IF though.

I could be wrong but I don't see Kim's death (if he is dead) as any sort of massive change. Nothing significant happened when his father died in 2011.

The sister will take over and it'll be business as usual. Hope I'm wrong. I just see it as business as usual, unless an internal coup happens against the sister.

Even then, there may be a few token changes under a new, non-family ruler/rulers. But a complete collapse of the status quo is a few regimes away yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

There must be some kind of military cabal who ultimately control things. I doubt one small family can keep an entire country in line. Unless this cabal is over thrown The it’s say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss.

alive & kicking according to south korea

Very strange post. Wipe out a whole country of innocent oppressed people just because they have a madman in charge?

Sorry, are you talking about the Donald?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Adam9213

Ipso wrote: »
    There must be some kind of military cabal who ultimately control things. I doubt one small family can keep an entire country in line. Unless this cabal is over thrown The it’s say hello to the new boss, same as the old boss.

You know the real reason North Korea is isolated like it is is because it's a rogue state, the west doesn't want it to exist or at least not with the leadership it has.

What happens with these states? Just like Libya or Iraq or Cuba they flood them with propaganda, try to have the people turn against their leader, all sorts of propaganda to overthrow the state from within, start a rebellion from within if they want it bad enough, that's why it's on lockdown not because he's some crazy lunatic like it's made out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,016 ✭✭✭Ultrflat

Adam9213 wrote: »
    You know the real reason North Korea is isolated like it is is because it's a rogue state, the west doesn't want it to exist or at least not with the leadership it has.

What happens with these states? Just like Libya or Iraq or Cuba they flood them with propaganda, try to have the people turn against their leader, all sorts of propaganda to overthrow the state from within, start a rebellion from within if they want it bad enough, that's why it's on lockdown not because he's some crazy lunatic like it's made out.

So you've meet him your self?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

First he's dead

now he's Kim Jong Un-dead. Just a Juche zombie :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,153 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

He might just have the train in getting done up, the interior was very much pre-Covid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭bogwalrus

donvito99 wrote: »
    No he was revived and renamed Kim Jung Deux

Pretty sure it was a witch doctor that revived him. So he really is Kim Jung Un-dead

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is all a diversion from Covid, designed by the Chinese.

Who cares? We will never know the truth from NK anyway. Ever.

The last outpost of Communism. Even Cuba gave up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Get Real wrote: »
    A big IF though.

I could be wrong but I don't see Kim's death (if he is dead) as any sort of massive change. Nothing significant happened when his father died in 2011.

The sister will take over and it'll be business as usual. Hope I'm wrong. I just see it as business as usual, unless an internal coup happens against the sister.

Even then, there may be a few token changes under a new, non-family ruler/rulers. But a complete collapse of the status quo is a few regimes away yet.

I'd argue that with each succession the rule of the Kims has become weaker. Kim Il Sung enjoyed a stature that his successors did not, as evidenced by their desperate association of their cult of personality with his. Kim Jong Il's Songun "military-first" policies indicated that he had to make significant concessions to the Generals to stay in power in a way that his father did not. Since 1994 the country has severely declined, both in absolute terms and relative to its neighbours in SK and China, and the North Korean elite must be well aware of this regardless of what slogans they have to parrot.

A collapse of North Korea would have serious potential for disaster - loose nukes, rogue factions, millions of refugees, China and SK/US banging heads over the power vacuum.

A more gradual liberalisation through some form of slightly less insane authoritarian regime seems possible. There are plenty of examples of this in Asia (China since Mao, SK since Rhee and the generals, Burma more recently).

The Chinese aren't mad about the Kims either, for good reasons historic and current. Maintaining a buffer on their Yalu border is a red line issue for them, but if a more stable guarantor of that buffer than the Kims were to emerge they'd be happy out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Corona20

Yes sure he didnt look well for a while really did he?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,952 ✭✭✭Degag

Sorry, are you talking about the Donald?

No. Half of his country voted him into power.

So i have considerably less empathy for them!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭shaveAbullock

Agreed what a disgusting thing for Chalk McHugh to say.
    Wishing death on a country of poor farmers who have to give 70% of their crop to the tyrannical government and are only one or two crop failures away from starvation.

That said I don't think Kim family could hold on to power if they were insane. They are just evil enough to do whatever it takes to stay in power.

Advertisement