Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Need an engrossing show to keep my mind off the current madness

• 17-04-2020 3:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭

Looks like Westworld is a non runner based off feedback in the other thread and my own research elsewhere

I'm looking for a show that totally sucks you in and distracts you from the outside world. I'm going to be doing Udemy courses and other projects during the day, but a riveting TV show in bed at night would be useful so my mind doesn't start overthinking things

Some of my all time favs (to give you an idea of taste) would include Breaking Bad, The West Wing and Lost (my top 3) and The Leftovers, The Shield, Line Of Duty (and similar UK Dramas like Happy Valley, Broadchurch etc) and Sopranos also impressed me

Watchmen was suggested as it was made by a Lost/Leftovers writer, but is it Marvel/DC World typical stuff? They normally aren't my kinda thing. I find the whole Marvel/Avengers "universe" a bit tedious

The Wire:

This is a "hmmmm, maybe" to re-try. I watched one season years ago and didn't understand the hype at all. I much preferred The Shield

Homeland:

Tried the first season and - again - couldn't see what the fuss was all about

Game Of Thrones:

Watched all seasons bar the last one. I'll have to get around to completing it just because. But I believe it's a brutal last season :pac:

Chernobyl:

Tried an episode when exhausted on a flight so I think it affected my thoughts on it. Might try again. It has excellent reviews

Peaky Blinders:

Heard it starts strong but drops in quality

That's just some off the top of my head. I'll say if I've seen any other show when they're mentioned

I'm looking for that show where you're having a crap, stressful day (like many of us are currently) but then you think to yourself "at least there's Show X to look forward to later"

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Years ago I bought the first season of The Wire on dvd, couldn't get into after maybe 4 episodes and stopped watching it. A while later, said I may as well finish Season 1, then I'd trade in the dvd. Within a week, I bought the full boxset (meaning I now had two Season 1s) and watched the whole thing over the next month. I've probably watched it about 5 times since. It's an absolutely brilliant show. It definitely does take a bit to get into it. Each season can start off quite slow, and especially in Season 1 because it drops you straight into the world, doesn't ease you into it at all. But it's definitely worth it, because once you start understanding how everything feeds into the show as a whole and how all the pieces matter, it's one of the best shows ever. Fantastic characters, very funny, some incredible scenes, terrific acting, great stories and a world that feels so real you'd swear you could visit the city and see half the characters there.

Kinda outdated in terms of tech etc, which is understandable, but doesn't detract from everything as a whole. A lot of people didn't like the main story in the final season either, which I didn't at first either, but it's not like GoT final season or anything, it still works.

Chernobyl is a great watch too but it's only 5 episodes so might not keep you going too long. One of the best mini-series I've ever seen though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,550 ✭✭✭ShineOn7

Penn wrote: »
    Years ago I bought the first season of The Wire ....

Cheers Penn. Is it true to really get into it you need to find it online with subtitles? I read before that it's lost on a few people because they can't understand what's being said

Getting it online with subtitles from a cousin mightn't be easy ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

ShineOn7 wrote: »
    Cheers Penn. Is it true to really get into it you need to find it online with subtitles? I read before that it's lost on a few people because they can't understand what's being said

Getting it online with subtitles from a cousin mightn't be easy ;)

Nah, I never watched with subtitles. I don't think they'd help anyway, as it's more to do with the terms and slang some characters might use for things and understanding what they mean. You get used to how they talk within a few episodes, but it is something that can put people off when they first start. A lot of characters and hierarchies involved too so it can take a while to put names to faces etc. Like I said, you're kinda just dropped into the world of the characters.

I'd say if you can get to the end of Season 1, you'll have it pretty much all sussed (though each new season introduces some new settings, characters etc). If you finish Season 1 and you don't like it, then it's probably not worth going on with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,902 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Justified. Great actors playing great characters. Plenty of episodes to keep you busy and they finish the series very well.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

Luther

• Advertisement

My OH is on series 3 of Fargo. He also enjoyed Ozark. I think they’re all on Netflix.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,825 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Damages, the americans, the good fight and trapped (Icelandic) on Amazon prime are all excellent imo.

Bbc have a show called devs on iPlayer only seen first episode but seems very interesting I think Alex Garland is behind it who did ex-machina.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,445 ✭✭✭Rodney Bathgate

Bosch or Justified

Justified. Great actors playing great characters. Plenty of episodes to keep you busy and they finish the series very well.
    Deadwood is excellent as well.
    No idea why Timothy Olyphant isn't a much bigger star TBH

My OH is on series 3 of Fargo. He also enjoyed Ozark. I think they’re all on Netflix.

Loved Fargo season 1 and 2 so might give the third a bash, thanks

I really tried hard with Ozark. I even went back months later and rewatched the few episodes again. I don't get the praise this show gets at all

• Advertisement

Meant to say; I've never seen Life On Mars and the reviews of it look very promising

All of it recently landed on Netflix

• Registered Users Posts: 2,670 ✭✭✭4Ad

Succession on sky..theres 2 series..very good..

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,624 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Dark, watch in German with subtitles if you can. It's like a massive puzzle that slowly reveals itself

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Unforgotten - 3 seasons of it now on Netflix. Also Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,791 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Banshee
    A guy just gets out of prison and through circumstances becomes sheriff of the town of Banshee.
    Some of the best fights I've seen with the women just as tough as the men.
    When recommending it, I usually say you'll know by episode 3 whether it's for you or not

Spartacus
    The first episode didn't appeal to me the first time I watched. But I heard the first season was good so tried again and thought it was excellent overall.

And in shows with less nudity, sex and violence
    Person of Interest
    While the first season is mostly case of the week, it goes on to a great overall ongoing story. Some great characters as well.

is_that_so wrote: »
    Unforgotten - 3 seasons of it now on Netflix. Also Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.
    Unforgotten....is brilliant.
    How could I forget that!
    Each of those seasons was a gem.
    Seriously underrated but so well done.
    Season 4 fingers crossed this year!

Fargo is great.

Most of the Star Treks are on Netflix. They're really good to fill an hour or 2 at a time. Pretty easy to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

gmisk wrote: »
    Unforgotten....is brilliant.
    How could I forget that!
    Each of those seasons was a gem.
    Seriously underrated but so well done.
    Season 4 fingers crossed this year!

This or Luther ?

Meant to say; I've never seen Life On Mars and the reviews of it look very promising

All of it recently landed on Netflix

Loved Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes.

First bit of research on Succession and I see Jesse Armstrong is the creator

It already has my attention!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,259 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Longmire
    Lucifer
    Red Dwarf
    The Blacklist
    Burn notice

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

First bit of research on Succession and I see Jesse Armstrong is the creator

It already has my attention!

It's really excellent

• Registered Users Posts: 3,104 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

An under the radar show I loved that was fairly luke-warmly received was Jericho (with Skeet Ulrich and Lenny James).

It got cancelled after season 1, but it had such a cult following that fans bombarded the network with mail, calls, and peanuts (yes, peanuts - it's a reference to a famous line in the show) so they relented and gave them a second series to wrap it up.

It's not going to win any Emmys (it didn't), and can be a bit cheesy at times with the small-town charm it forces down your throat. But it was a damn entertaining show and always left me with the urge to watch just one more episode.

Ive recommended it to 2 people who've genuinely gone on to watch it. One said it was great and thanked me for the recommendation. The other said it was the biggest pile of **** he'd seen since Under The Dome. Can't please them all :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,462 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Banshee,
    Battlestar Galactica,
    Narcos,
    Billions,
    Ozark,
    Ray Donovan,
    Watchmen, from episode 3 on it is brilliant!
    CastleRock
    Man in the High Castle

Just a few, but if you are any way into Stephen King, castleRock is an easter egg tour de force.

Oh and watch The Wire. It's fantastic. Completely different show from The Shield.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Another Fargo fan here

Recently watched The Outsider,The Stranger,Dr.Foster.The Fall and Killing Eve would recommend them all (not all Netflix shows)
    Currently on Ozark, looks promising

• Registered Users Posts: 16,875 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Two very good shows imo

• Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭thefasteriwalk

Succession. All day long.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Marcella, Collateral, Wallander are a few others I'd add.

• Advertisement

From looking at the summery and who's involved with Succession it looks even more promising. A show with Brian Cox as the lead? Yes please

Jesse Armstrong was involved in two of my favourite Comedies - The Thick Of It and Veep (Which reminds me, I still need to finish Veep's last season or two so that'll be added to the list)

Is Succession like Veep and The Thick Of It or has it more drama in it?

Advertisement