Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Scammed online please useful info

• 12-04-2020 3:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Can anyone out there give me some advice.

I have been a victim of a scam online.

My bank and the website I used are doing nothing for me as of yet. I am very very stressed and worried and don't know where else to go. Can a solicitor deal with these problems?

Any info would be of great help thanks so much

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,711 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Use Paypal in future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 MaureensFry

U need to tell us how you were scammed

ciars20 wrote: »
    Can anyone out there give me some advice.

I have been a victim of a scam online.

My bank and the website I used are doing nothing for me as of yet. I am very very stressed and worried and don't know where else to go. Can a solicitor deal with these problems?

Any info would be of great help thanks so much

You need to give some details before anyone can help you (which we will)

• Registered Users Posts: 26 ciars20

denartha wrote: »
    You need to give some details before anyone can help you (which we will)[/quote

I used an online website a few weeks ago and I stopped using it. After I stopped using it my account was active a week later and large transactions were made on the account. The company are not doing anything for me nor the bank as they have stated the transactions were genuine which is completely not true

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭kjbsrah1

If you believe a fraud or criminal activity has occurred then please report it to your nearest Garda Station. At the very least they can advise about online safety and what, if any, steps can be taken to assist you.

• Advertisement

denartha wrote: »
    You need to give some details before anyone can help you (which we will)[/quote

I used an online website a few weeks ago and I stopped using it. After I stopped using it my account was active a week later and large transactions were made on the account. The company are not doing anything for me nor the bank as they have stated the transactions were genuine which is completely not true

Well cancel your bank card and lodge a complaint with the bank. Which website was it?

kjbsrah1 wrote: »
    If you believe a fraud or criminal activity has occurred then please report it to your nearest Garda Station. At the very least they can advise about online safety and what, if any, steps can be taken to assist you.

What on earth are the gaurds going to do? Don't even bother waste their time.

Well cancel your bank card and lodge a complaint with the bank. Which website was it?

What on earth are the gaurds going to do? Don't even bother waste their time.

Guys I have reported the crime to 3 sources the guards the website and the bank. Bank told me they werent refunding and so did the website as they believe its not fraud . I have no more options left. I am going out of my mind literally. Would a solicitor be able to help me? I am absolutely distraught that all my savings have been stolen. I made so many sacrifices to save this large amount for my future and now my future plans are gone bevause of this. I don't want sympathy I want help on what I can do. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 8,945 ✭✭✭duffman13

You need to give more detail, what kind of company was it?

What kind of transactions?

Card payments, PayPal, Bank Transfers?

With a bit more detail you might get a bit more advice, how did they log on to your account? Have you changed all passwords on everything now?

duffman13 wrote: »
    You need to give more detail, what kind of company was it?

What kind of transactions?

Card payments, PayPal, Bank Transfers?

With a bit more detail you might get a bit more advice, how did they log on to your account? Have you changed all passwords on everything now?

It was a gaming betting account. I stopped using it the 3rd of March. When I used it I used debit card. That's the form the scammers used. The website told me in an email that it was up to me to log out of the account at all times.. I cancelled my debit card and got a new one. I have no idea how I got hacked. when u log into the gaming account the card details are already on that. The person who hacked me kept making transactions with my account but they weren't transferring money to themself as I believe it was only card details they got a hold of and not my actual online banking. Transactions were coming into my account aswell as out of my account and then dissapearing again. I will go to the end of the earth to get my savings back because I did not deserve any of this. Thanks for listening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Wuff Wuff

It was a gaming betting account

Ahhhh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Hmmm....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

What was the money used for?

Placing bets or was it ultimately transferred out of the gaming account?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,471 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

So a scammer went to the trouble of hacking your account so they could bet on your behalf but never get any of the winnings if they won ??

_Brian wrote: »
    So a scammer went to the trouble of hacking your account so they could bet on your behalf but never get any of the winnings if they won ??

Yes I believe they're main aim was to transfer the money once they got those details. But I believe they failed at getting those details. I found it very strange aswell but this is 100 percent the truth. I did a lot of research and there is many reviews stating the site are thieves and scammers and there's also videos on YouTube showing how to hack the website.

What was the money used for?

Placing bets or was it ultimately transferred out of the gaming account?

No it wasn't transferred at all. I believe the hackers failed at getting onto my online banking because all they could hack was the debit card details

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Bollocks. So they hacked you and didn't take any money? So where is the money now?

If it's a legit gambling site they'll be able to check the IPs and reference from that.

Your story doesn't check out at all.

No it wasn't transferred at all. I believe the hackers failed at getting onto my online banking because all they could hack was the debit card details

Either I’m stupid or you’re not explaining this very well because I’ve no idea how you were scammed if the money wasn’t taken from the gaming account.

This sounds like I lost 2 grand playing blackjack as I'm addicted to gambling and now want my money back.

This sounds like I lost 2 grand playing blackjack as I'm addicted to gambling and now want my money back.

Excuse me how dare you come on here and make false acquisitions about me. You would think twice about what you said if you knew what I had gone through in the last 3 weeks. My whole future is ruined because I honestly got scammed online by this website. I don't have to prove myself to anybody believe what u like. I came on here and asked for help that is all. I shouldn't of every asked for help. Because when you do ask for help in this world it gets thrown back in ur face.

Excuse me how dare you come on here and make false acquisitions about me. You would think twice about what you said if you knew what I had gone through in the last 3 weeks. My whole future is ruined because I honestly got scammed online by this website. I don't have to prove myself to anybody believe what u like. I came on here and asked for help that is all. I shouldn't of every asked for help. Because when you do ask for help in this world it gets thrown back in ur face.

You still havn't named the website so how do you expect people to help?

For all we know it could be a dodgy site you used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Oops!

Ah grow up FFS....

RossieMan wrote: »
    Bollocks. So they hacked you and didn't take any money? So where is the money now?

If it's a legit gambling site they'll be able to check the IPs and reference from that.

Your story doesn't check out at all.

Yes I got a letter with ip addresses and there was like 6 or 7 different ones and the site said they didn't see anything strange with my account.

You still havn't named the website so how do you expect people to help?

For all we know it could be a dodgy site you used.
    Betway

Oops! wrote: »
    Ah grow up FFS....

Seriously? Please god u never have to go through ur savings been stolen bevause I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy

Betway

And what happened to the money after it was credited to your betway account?

Seriously? Please god u never have to go through ur savings been stolen bevause I wouldn't wish it on my worse enemy

You sure it wasn't another family member? You should see every transaction. Give us a list of the IP's.

Betway is 100% legit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭khaldrogo

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

Gambling is a loosing game

And what happened to the money after it was credited to your betway account?

It was used on the website

You sure it wasn't another family member? You should see every transaction. Give us a list of the IP's.

Betway is 100% legit.

Not from what I read online. They owed out millions to people as they were sued. No my family wouldn't do that.

• Advertisement

Hack what debit card details, if they are stored on your account within the site itself, as you said, they have access to the account then they have/had your debit card details.

Yet apparently the hackers weren't using your debit card details to purchase anything before you cancelled it except use it on the site itself.

Three things

1. Who keeps their savings for the future in their CA linked to their debit card.

2. Who gives their debit card details to a site without researching the site first and then discover through research that the site is well known for being dodgy.

3. Hackers/Scammers know that they have a limited time before even a normal person notices issues with their bank balance and spend fast on other sites not on a betting site that they can't get the funds from for their winnings.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement