Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Currently buying/selling a house? How is it going? READ MOD NOTE POST #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭em_cat

Solicitors are one of the essential services according to the Law Society.

Yes I would’ve thought so, I just didn’t see them listed on the list I read & I was looking because we are awaiting some answers to queries we had regarding some of the contract details. TBH I never thought to look at the Law Societies website.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 2,881 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kurtosis

The essential services list is only relevant for which categories of workers can leave their home to attend their workplace. Any outside of that may still be working from home.

• Registered Users Posts: 48,132 ✭✭✭✭km79

Logan Roy wrote: »
    Signed contracts on sale today via video call, quite unusual!

We also received contracts today for the new build we are purchasing.

It seems strange that any solicitor would not continue working from home.

Our contracts for a site purchase are to be with our solicitor for “signing “ this week too
    Was wondering how it would work !

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭Monumental

Our solicitor and buyers solicitor still on track, working from home Engineer is within 2km of the property ,hope his report is positive. Buyer more than happy to go ahead ,fingers crossed. Very stressful !

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

Monumental wrote: »
    Our solicitor and buyers solicitor still on track, working from home Engineer is within 2km of the property ,hope his report is positive. Buyer more than happy to go ahead ,fingers crossed. Very stressful !

Engineer's proximity to the property is irrelevant though?? 2km applies to exercise, not how far you can venture to do your nonessential job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭mcbert

cython wrote: »
    Engineer's proximity to the property is irrelevant though?? 2km applies to exercise, not how far you can venture to do your nonessential job.

Unless he gets his exercise going to the property

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Also in the process of buying, received BER and Homebond certs last week and we are now waiting on the notice of completion, our solicitor is still working. However seems that the property registration authority being closed will delay us for the foreseeable future. Anyone have any dealings with them recently?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭cython

mcbert wrote: »
    Unless he gets his exercise going to the property

So he gets to the door and eyeballs it from outside before getting a bit more exercise going home? :rolleyes:

Distance is irrelevant, the job is nonessential and should be postponed until restrictions are relaxed sufficiently to allow it to happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

Also in the process of buying, received BER and Homebond certs last week and we are now waiting on the notice of completion, our solicitor is still working. However seems that the property registration authority being closed will delay us for the foreseeable future. Anyone have any dealings with them recently?

Heard from my buyers solicitor that they can't get up to date searches completed, though my own solicitor reckons it's just stalling tactics but who knows. I reckon the push to complete will depend a little bit on how hungry solicitors are for the fees versus any risk to their indemnity insurance, to be depressingly honest about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭David Della Rocco

Nijmegen wrote: »
    Heard from my buyers solicitor that they can't get up to date searches completed, though my own solicitor reckons it's just stalling tactics but who knows. I reckon the push to complete will depend a little bit on how hungry solicitors are for the fees versus any risk to their indemnity insurance, to be depressingly honest about it.

thanks, was hoping that would be the case and that our solicitor is being overly cautious. However the PRA have the below notice on their site. We should get the closing notice this week so we will see what happens

´The PRA is closely monitoring Government and HSE advice in relation to the COVID-19 pandemic. Accordingly and with immediate effect, property registrations are temporarily suspended with the exception of our eRegistration services. We will no longer be in a position to accept applications lodged through the post/DX. Our landdirect services will operate as normal with the exception of copy document requests.´

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,189 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Our mortgage draw down was delayed by our lack of home insurance. As we didn't have a move in date to start it we assumed it wasn't needed before getting the funds. Got it sorted now and it will probably be drawn down this week but likely not in the developer's accounts by the end of the week.

Solicitor is off the week of Easter and the developer will be open after saying they would originally be closed. Sounds like they want to continue getting people their keys, ours are waiting for us as they've been in contact several times in the last week.

Don't know what else the solicitor has to do for closing. We don't have the BER or anything as mentioned above yet and I'm sure there's probably other stuff involved that we don't know about.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,629 ✭✭✭jrosen

DaveyDave wrote: »
    Our mortgage draw down was delayed by our lack of home insurance. As we didn't have a move in date to start it we assumed it wasn't needed before getting the funds. Got it sorted now and it will probably be drawn down this week but likely not in the developer's accounts by the end of the week.

Solicitor is off the week of Easter and the developer will be open after saying they would originally be closed. Sounds like they want to continue getting people their keys, ours are waiting for us as they've been in contact several times in the last week.

Don't know what else the solicitor has to do for closing. We don't have the BER or anything as mentioned above yet and I'm sure there's probably other stuff involved that we don't know about.

BER held us up by a couple of weeks and then there was a letter stating the builder had satisfied his financial responsibility. We were one month waiting on this. We were told we couldnt close without either of these documents? We only got confirmation this week from the builders solicitor that they now have the last document supplied from the local authority.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

In the process of applying for a mortgage at the moment and just about have all the documents gathered.
    Interestingly the bank told me yesterday they now want "Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic we will require a Letter from employer confirming they do not envisage any change to the terms and conditions of employment in the foreseeable future"

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭MarkJD

Hey all, we are due to draw down now on the 17th of April and the closing date is the 24th. The seller still has not signed but we have been assured everything is going ahead as planned. I do have my doubts and unsure if im going to proceed with the sale if the dates we have on the contracts are moved out but realistically if the Seller has not signed by this week is it still likely that they could and the dates could go ahead?

With the upcoming bank holidays and the natural lag to any process given the crisis I just dont see how this happens at this stage.. Would welcome any thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭ClaptonBay

Hasmunch wrote: »
    In the process of applying for a mortgage at the moment and just about have all the documents gathered.
    Interestingly the bank told me yesterday they now want "Due to the Covid 19 Pandemic we will require a Letter from employer confirming they do not envisage any change to the terms and conditions of employment in the foreseeable future"

What bank was that if you don't mind me asking?

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Hasmunch wrote: »

Sure what bl00dy use is that to anyone? Absolutely zero legal effect, non binding and not worth the paper it's written on if employer decides to lay you off later that day, they can. Not having a go at you at all, just the banks... They really don't want ppl to own their own home do they?

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭lfen

An FYI that the bank called this morning and advised us that all mortgage applications are on hold. We had AIP and a deposit down. Contracts with solicitor. All docs had been sent last week for full approval.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

lfen wrote: »
    An FYI that the bank called this morning and advised us that all mortgage applications are on hold. We had AIP and a deposit down. Contracts with solicitor. All docs had been sent last week for full approval.

What bank is that?:(

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    What bank is that?:(

UB

• Registered Users Posts: 318 ✭✭fago

Renewing our mortgage AIP at the moment after a sale fell through (lucky us huh), so that killed our previous approved application.

Absolutely nothing from AIB about pausing, been told the application has been moved to their assessors mid last week. They have been pretty quick about following up on missing documents etc.

One would think if they were going to start blocking mortgage drawdowns, they would be putting a stop/slow to approvals.

I wonder other than the already known exemption removal, are banks slowing down higher LTV approval drawdowns?

We are in a slightly better situation for the application than a year ago, so will be interesting to see if they approve it as requested, or approve it with additional conditions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Am in the same position and have had no phonecall ?!

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

What bank is this? My partner works for BOI and this has been the stance for the last few weeks and looks like for the next few weeks at least.

Only hope is if a new build and construction on hold that there is a bit of time to play with. We have a deposit down with contracts with solicitor also but EA has told our solicitor no panic basically as they are not building atm and understand position re banks etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 KaiserSochez

So that's BOI and UB halting lending from the sounds of it. Anyone aware if AIB and KBC gone the same route?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 452 ✭✭Logan Roy

So that's BOI and UB halting lending from the sounds of it. Anyone aware if AIB and KBC gone the same route?

Halting applications and lending aren't necessarily the same thing. Perhaps they don't have the capacity to deal with applications with staff so busy assessing applications for moratoriums?

I progressed to a full loan offer last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Conrad83

Just to add to that. BOI have only halted as they are concentrating fully on the mortgage breaks and the backlog with that. They are not approving new mortgages but honouring existing ones (subject to no change in job circumstances).

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Hasmunch

ClaptonBay wrote: »
    What bank was that if you don't mind me asking?

AIB

• Registered Users Posts: 469 ✭✭rafatoni

Quick question if anyone might know, we have AIP also and it was reviewed early Feb due to myself getting a pay increase/ promotion in work. The bank then increased my oan amount and issue me with a new AIP. Is the AIP now extended based off that reviewed date in early Feb or when i originally got the first AIP in Mid December?

Just dont want this to lapse but what can you do in the current climate.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Bargain_Hound

I have a feeling PTSB are following suit and not moving on new approvals.

I've had 0 update on our full mortgage approval in 2 weeks now and providing very little information every time I request an update. Very frustrating as we are SA over month and can't get the loan offer out.

fago wrote: »
    Renewing our mortgage AIP at the moment after a sale fell through (lucky us huh), so that killed our previous approved application.

Absolutely nothing from AIB about pausing, been told the application has been moved to their assessors mid last week. They have been pretty quick about following up on missing documents etc.

One would think if they were going to start blocking mortgage drawdowns, they would be putting a stop/slow to approvals.

I wonder other than the already known exemption removal, are banks slowing down higher LTV approval drawdowns?

We are in a slightly better situation for the application than a year ago, so will be interesting to see if they approve it as requested, or approve it with additional conditions.

Our LTV is 80% so not at the max or anything. If I get any further info I’ll post it as an FYI.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Maitguel

We received our loan offer today from PTSB. Not going for a very big mortgage and we’ll within our repayment capacity so that might have a bearing on it.

Advertisement