Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Corona Virus & cycling impact (see mode note post 1322)

Options

Comments

....and to commute to essential work that cannot be done from home.

I've some of that to do in the morning, I should relish the legitimate spin but the sitting around waiting for things to install and reboot will be fun fun fun and I might have had second thoughts about the beers I've taken on board tonight had my boss checked her emails sooner and given the go ahead sooner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,694 ✭✭✭thesimpsons

terrydel wrote: »
    I'd not disagree with it being low risk, the point is that you really dont need to be doing it, and if an accident does happen there's a good chance youl end up in hospital. Right now that's the last thing you or any health worker wants. It actually astonishes me people dont seem to grasp this. This is essentially our generation's war time, do everything you can to help your society, it's not all about you. Doing laps around a short circuit, clocking up 20-30k because God forbid you might total less Km's on strava this year than last is certainly not in the spirit of the recommendations , is entirely unnecessary and makes people look like selfish d**ks in my view.

I generally dont particularly care about strava kms or average speed either. I cycle to clear my head, get fresh air & exercise, keep the heart ticking and the blood flowing. If we are asked not to cycle, I'll park up the bike. You have no idea how the isolation at home with possibly sudden lack of job, possibly financial worries, no proper interaction with friends or family can be for sone people. Its possible short cycles could litterly be a life saviour.

And yes, I could have an accident and need hospital care but feel I'm doing alot more for myself and keeping out of the medical scene than my neighbour here who smokes like a trooper and had a heart attack last week caused almost 100% by bad diet and no exercise and still sees no reason why he should stop smoking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

I generally dont particularly care about strava kms or average speed either. I cycle to clear my head, get fresh air & exercise, keep the heart ticking and the blood flowing. If we are asked not to cycle, I'll park up the bike. You have no idea how the isolation at home with possibly sudden lack of job, possibly financial worries, no proper interaction with friends or family can be for sone people. Its possible short cycles could litterly be a life saviour.

And yes, I could have an accident and need hospital care but feel I'm doing alot more for myself and keeping out of the medical scene than my neighbour here who smokes like a trooper and had a heart attack last week caused almost 100% by bad diet and no exercise and still sees no reason why he should stop smoking

I think this falls under the fallacy of relative privation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

That's just whataboutery really.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

some advantages to living somewhere less densely populated than London

A park in London Yesterday

https://twitter.com/Holbornlolz/status/1246732083168493568

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,268 Mod ✭✭✭✭Chips Lovell

terrydel wrote: »
    All unnecessary risk should be avoided as much as possible yes, and I would see the potential for injury requiring hospital treatment to occur while cycling, to be far greater than diy and playing with the kids, and also higher than from jogging, given the speeds involved.

Actually, as I pointed out earlier in the thread, you're more likely to be injured gardening than cycling. That's not to say I'm advocating anyone breaking the exercise guidelines or, indeed, giving up the risky practice of gardening (I myself am gardening like a hoor at the moment). It's just important to get a bit of perspective on things.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

there's no source cited there, but i suspect age profile will have a considerable influence on gardening injuries compared to cycling.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,246 ✭✭✭secman

We are all inherently different, i haven't been on the bike for 2 weeks today, there are some people still doing 100km spins , there are people doing 20km to 30km spins. I know a front line paramedic who still gets out for about 60 to 70kms he needs to clear his head for his next shift , others clear their head by netflix, gardening, DIY, car maintenance.
    There are disbelieving people carrying on but there are also people that need to carry on cycling hopefully in much briefer spins, but its unfair and unacceptable to tar everyone with the same brush.

One for later this afternoon. GCN racing on youtube and Eurosport will have a virtual Tour of Flanders at 14:30

• Advertisement

secman wrote: »
    its unfair and unacceptable to tar everyone with the same brush.
    https://twitter.com/dublincycling/status/1246756263226159104

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

there's no source cited there, but i suspect age profile will have a considerable influence on gardening injuries compared to cycling.

Yet that won’t matter if what you are concerned about are hospital admissions.

One for later this afternoon. GCN racing on youtube and Eurosport will have a virtual Tour of Flanders at 14:30

Bettiol is taking it rather seriously for one if his comments over Evenepoel are anything to judge by

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

secman wrote: »
    We are all inherently different, i haven't been on the bike for 2 weeks today, there are some people still doing 100km spins , there are people doing 20km to 30km spins. I know a front line paramedic who still gets out for about 60 to 70kms he needs to clear his head for his next shift , others clear their head by netflix, gardening, DIY, car maintenance.
    There are disbelieving people carrying on but there are also people that need to carry on cycling hopefully in much briefer spins, but its unfair and unacceptable to tar everyone with the same brush.

Nobody needs to contine cycling apart from work commuters.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Weepsie wrote: »
    Same d!ckhead that was out last week around Wicklow was out again today. I'd have zero sympathy if his bike is nicked now or something

I commented on his Strava and he blocked me.

Someone else did today too
    Surprised at his club, I have a feeling we are thinking of the same guy. Some people have an ego and think that the rules don't apply, hopefully his club who have been tough on rule breakers in the past pull him up on it.
    Sam Hain wrote: »
    Nobody needs to continuing cycling apart from work commuters.

And going to the shops

had to drop some food out to the horse, so back from a 30km round trip in the car. spotted a chap on the outward journey and again on the return journey, but in places probably 10km apart. main thing that struck me was he was wearing his easily recognised club gear, you'd think he'd have had the sense to wear something generic, even if he's insisting on going out again all the advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

So by this day next week we were told that the current lockdown would expire..

Now while nothing specific has been officially said about the extension of the lockdown, I think we all know that it will be extended and further restrictions imposed.

We can see by the Strava spies and observations by people out and about themselves that they've spotted people out training and ignoring their social responsibilities..

Question is if there's a further 2 week lockdown imposed, how will this affect the levels of compliance and will we see the Gardai confiscating bicycles, arresting cyclists and imposing fines?

do they have the powers yet? as of thursday, they didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭cajonlardo

I am wondering what is the longest spin on a trainer any of you have managed?
    I've gone 2 hours and wondering if I will ever manage longer. Had it set up in back garden, can see sugar loaf. it's like when you've the Bonk out the road and it isn't getting any closer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,602 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Nope, not yet, probably waiting on some General Secretary in the CS to press a button, either that or the Government are holding back and will announce the further police powers in conjunction with further lockdown measures...

https://www.rte.ie/news/coronavirus/2020/0402/1128191-coronavirus-garda-powers/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,657 ✭✭✭✭dahat

cajonlardo wrote: »
    I am wondering what is the longest spin on a trainer any of you have managed?
    I've gone 2 hours and wondering if I will ever manage longer. Had it set up in back garden, can see sugar loaf. it's like when you've the Bonk out the road and it isn't getting any closer :)

3.5hrs, the key is how you structure the time on the trainer. Mix things up with tempo intervals & a few sprints and time will fly. Alot of people tend to forget to fuel correctly for the turbo, very important.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Just watching the virtual tour of Flanders (do we need a separate thread with spoilers?).

Anyway really cool stuff.

It's virtually unwatchable on my end. Constant freezes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,219 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

bazermc wrote: »
    Just watching the virtual tour of Flanders (do we need a separate thread with spoilers?).

Anyway really cool stuff.

It's an interesting watch but BKool seem to have a long way to go to catch up on Zwift in terms of visuals. They are showing pictures filmed from a car but the course looks nothing like it is in reality. Green fields with cows and a few fans here and there. I was expecting to see a virtual Muur van Geraardsbergen etc

the incycle stream on youtube is much better than GCN.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Steve SilverMint

the incycle stream on youtube is much better than GCN.

Thanks for that, had given up watching on GCN and got to catch the end on incycle. Some power output from GVA. Nico did well

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Was waiting for Nico’s missus to appear with a cup of tea.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭hesker

Sam Hain wrote: »
    Nobody needs to contine cycling apart from work commuters.
    CramCycle wrote: »

And going to the shops

Unless they have an option of driving, or taking public transport, or walking in which case they shouldn't be cycling given how risky it seems to be.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

Cyclign without due consideration, €40 fine, if they believe the cyclist is lying about their identity or address they can sieze the bike, and I hope they do.
    It's virtually unwatchable on my end. Constant freezes.
    Nico done well though
    hesker wrote: »
    Unless they have an option of driving, or taking public transport, or walking in which case they shouldn't be cycling given how risky it seems to be.
    Driving and walking are also risky, that is why travel is essential only bar the 2km distance to facilitate exercise. Some of us don't have cars, public transport and walking would take a long tiem for work or shopping. I am not sure why people can't just follow the rules. Restrictions are likely to be stricter in the next fortnight considering the amount of muppets who can't have manners.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Most gardening is a lot more necessary than any cycling being done

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement