Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Rock Hour with John Kenny

Options
  • 24-03-2020 11:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

For those of you that remember The Metal Show with John Kenny he is presenting THE CLASSIC ROCK HOUR at the moment on radio 1. Not sure if it’s a nightly show.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Demographic shift in action.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

Tuesday-Thursday in place of the late debate which has seemingly gone into hibernation for an unspecified period. Rather odd decision it seems to me but always good to hear some of the old standards at any time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Is it cost cutting?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,439 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

radiofreak wrote: »
    For those of you that remember The Metal Show with John Kenny he is presenting THE CLASSIC ROCK HOUR at the moment on radio 1. Not sure if it’s a nightly show.

And before that his "New wave rave" show.............:o

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

Rage Against the Machine on radio 1. This is great!!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,710 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Where the fook is Late Debate??

You'd swear there was nothing going on in the world of importance at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭peterobrien100

Something oddly satisfying hearing The Cure, REM, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple on RTE Radio 1 at night time its like a victory for my mis-spent teenage years !!!

Yeah, though its not as if you wouldn't hear most of those bands, and on a fairly regular basis, on creedon. Just a less eclectic mix i guess.

Anyway, nothing beat the punk night Alf McCarthy used run on Fridays during his stint on Late Date. Now, that was truly something.

Something oddly satisfying hearing The Cure, REM, Black Sabbath and Deep Purple on RTE Radio 1 at night time its like a victory for my mis-spent teenage years !!!

Agreed. but plenty of this music on RTE Digital Radio, including John Kenny weekly show on RTE 2XM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72,152 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘The Spirit Of Radio’ by Rush!

Good call :)

Decibel level up a notch or two tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

This is mighty bring me back to 97 god bless jk on the radio

This L7 isnt too bad, not really familiar with them at all.

This L7 isnt too bad, not really familiar with them at all.

Check out their performance of ‘Pretend We’re Dead’ on ‘The Word’ :eek:

Check out their performance of ‘Pretend We’re Dead’ on ‘The Word’ :eek:

Good stuff! Only lacked some more instrument smashing at the end, but otherwise faultless.

Will this become a more perminate thing???

Doubt it on the basis you'd have non stop music on the station from 8-2am. But could be with us a while yet at least.

John was on ‘Arena’ earlier in the evening, saying as long as there is no sport at all in the foreseeable future...let there be rock!

:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,457 ✭✭✭RINO87

This is mighty bring me back to 97 god bless jk on the radio

Is he using the old jingle?! Jesus havent heard that since the metal show on 2fm - going to bed on a sunday night with no homework done!

• Advertisement

When John's very popular 2FM Metal Show finished up in 1999, John had a similar (to what is on Radio 1 now) classic rock show on 2FM on Sunday's 6pm to 8pm.

RINO87 wrote: »
    Is he using the old jingle?! Jesus havent heard that since the metal show on 2fm - going to bed on a sunday night with no homework done!

Yea same here it was a great show during teenage years,havent heard the old jingle yet but ya never know!! ,anyone remember the top 25 metal albums of the year that used to be on at xmas j.k and zag of zig n zag fame? Great times

When John's very popular 2FM Metal Show finished up in 1999, John had a similar (to what is on Radio 1 now) classic rock show on 2FM on Sunday's 6pm to 8pm.
    Thats right but it didnt last cause at the same time today fm started with dad rock and I think it stole alot of listeners

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

I'm old enough to remember John Kenny presenting punk/new wave shows on Dublin pirates in the late 1970s and early 1980s!

I'm old enough to remember John Kenny presenting punk/new wave shows on Dublin pirates in the late 1970s and early 1980s!

One of JKs other shows on 2FM was the Weekend Hotline on a Saturday in late 80s/early 90s..or the Hotline during the week, covering when Tony Fenton was on holidays.

JK moved into RTE Sport in 1992, while at the same time presenting 2FM music shows. When hourly sports bulletins started on 2FM in 1992, he was the first to read them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

One of JKs other shows on 2FM was the Weekend Hotline on a Saturday in late 80s/early 90s..or the Hotline during the week, covering when Tony Fenton was on holidays.

JK moved into RTE Sport in 1992, while at the same time presenting 2FM music shows. When hourly sports bulletins started on 2FM in 1992, he was the first to read them.

I remember all that!

‘Symphony Of Destruction’ by Megadeth!

People just tuning in will be thinking, ‘Has John Creedon had a breakdown?’

:D

Jaysus that last was some racket in fairness!! Deep Purple almost soft rock after that!

Especially those listeners who haven't yet put their clocks forward !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,024 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

Creedon would and all. Sure, it's any excuse and go tobann, he lashes out Motorhead for Lemmy's sake :)

Advertisement