Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Classic Rock Hour with John Kenny

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 903 ✭✭✭Bassfish

I enjoy the show but the little trivia sections about the songs and the bands really just show that he's pulling it off the Internet and isn't that familiar with it himself. He said tonight that Soundgarden wouldn't exist with Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Habitual (1990).... Eh, John, Soundgarden had two albums out before Jane's released that!
    Not everyone is a 90s music obsessive like me though to be fair :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭Declan A Walsh

Bassfish wrote: »
    I enjoy the show but the little trivia sections about the songs and the bands really just show that he's pulling it off the Internet and isn't that familiar with it himself. He said tonight that Soundgarden wouldn't exist with Jane's Addiction's Ritual De Habitual (1990).... Eh, John, Soundgarden had two albums out before Jane's released that!
    Not everyone is a 90s music obsessive like me though to be fair :D

John played a song from Soundgarden's third album released in 1991! Anyway, I thought it was The Pixies that influenced the grunge sound. I also thought Alice in Chains were the first official grunge act, not Nirvana.

All that aside, I enjoy when he gives some trivia about musical acts. He has the interest and it's of interest as well to music fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 71,725 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

‘Ava Adore’ by Smashing Pumpkins!

Good call :)

‘18 And Life’ by Skid Row :D

Their sound sure changed after Brush Shiels left :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

One of JKs other shows on 2FM was the Weekend Hotline on a Saturday in late 80s/early 90s..or the Hotline during the week, covering when Tony Fenton was on holidays.

JK moved into RTE Sport in 1992, while at the same time presenting 2FM music shows. When hourly sports bulletins started on 2FM in 1992, he was the first to read them.

He has also been on BBC Test Match Special when Ireland are in the Cricket World Cup.

I think he may have been commenting when Ireland famously beat England.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,441 ✭✭✭RINO87

‘18 And Life’ by Skid Row :D

Their sound sure changed after Brush Shiels left :pac:

Funny to hear them referred to as "the other" skid row!

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He has also been on BBC Test Match Special when Ireland are in the Cricket World Cup.

I think he may have been commenting when Ireland famously beat England.

Don't forget the synchronized swimming and diving in the Olympics!! Will miss the RTE commentators pretending they know whats going on during the more "niche" sports this year!

Blimey!

Frank Zappa on RTE Radio One :eek: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭orchard farm

No Primordial, Cruachan or Mael Mordha tonight.

Sort it out for Godsake :(

What about Dreamsfear

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

Blimey!

Frank Zappa on RTE Radio One :eek: :D

DK's...Holiday in Cambodia the other night...:eek::eek:....luvely

• Advertisement

DK's...Holiday in Cambodia the other night...:eek::eek:....luvely

That's a great song. It used to be the likes of John Kenny, or people like him, on pirate radio in the early 1980s that would have played that song.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

That's a great song. It used to be the likes of John Kenny, or people like him, on pirate radio in the early 1980s that would have played that song.

Missed them back in early 2000...but without Jello...well it just aint the DK's...imo...:)

‘Speed King’ by Deep Purple! :D:D :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 37,817 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Not very rock tonight but nice to hear a bit of Lizzy and Tears For Fears

• Registered Users Posts: 9,719 ✭✭✭lertsnim

I thought I had the wrong station on when that version of the Nancy Sinatra song was on.

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Not very rock tonight but nice to hear a bit of Lizzy and Tears For Fears

It has been definitely been more diverse and less ‘rock’ since John returned.

Back in the 90’s, the show was either proper old-school metal (Purple, Motorhead, Priest), or full-on death metal!

Still have a cassette from a show I taped back in 1998 where John played an entire hour of Deicide :eek: :D

It has been definitely been more diverse and less ‘rock’ since John returned.

Back in the 90’s, the show was either proper old-school metal (Purple, Motorhead, Priest), or full-on death metal!

Still have a cassette from a show I taped back in 1998 where John played an entire hour of Deicide :eek: :D

You're comparing applies and oranges. This is the Classic Rock Hour with John Kenny on RTE Radio 1. The show in the '90s that you are referring to is a heavy metal show that John used to present on 2FM - two different shows!

Incidentally, John has been presenting an alternative rock show on RTE digital station 2XM since 2007.

I'll miss this show when (if) the late debate returns. Its timing is perfect for me. I'm either cleaning up after dinner or tipping away at something else.
    Even the little one seems to enjoy it during her bath time!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,655 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Lost in the Supermarket is a great tune.

Haven’t heard Zwan for years!

Nice one :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Had never heard of Zwan :o

Should have played Frank Sidebottom after that :(

Had never heard of Zwan :o

Only released one album ‘Mary Star Of The Sea’ in 2003, then split. Smashing Pumpkins in all but name. :)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,830 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

I know very few of the songs he played tonight, have to say I like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭Layne

Listening to a playback of last night's show. Definitely an interesting mix.
    Playing Zwan was unexpected. JK can't be accused of playing the obvious that's for sure.
    For a guy who churns out the facts between songs he made a booboo regarding Smashing Pumpkins. I hope Jimmy Chamberlain wasn't listening to discover he is a former member of the band!!

Only released one album ‘Mary Star Of The Sea’ in 2003, then split. Smashing Pumpkins in all but name. :)

Almost but not quite. According to Wikipedia, Zwan was formed by two members of The Smashing Pumpkins: singer Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain. The rest of the band were not from The Smashing Pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Almost but not quite. According to Wikipedia, Zwan was formed by two members of The Smashing Pumpkins: singer Billy Corgan and drummer Jimmy Chamberlain. The rest of the band were not from The Smashing Pumpkins.
    One was Paz Lechantin, the current bassist for the Pixies.

The featured album tonight is ‘Dog Man Star’ by Suede - absolute classic :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,429 ✭✭✭ford fiesta

JK back in for another week next week

• Advertisement

I guess twitter would be the go to place, but I dont have an account anymore, but where could I send a mail to say I hope the show continues in some form in the future, even once a week, and not buried on 2XM??

Somewhere it would actually be read?

Advertisement