Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CoVid19 Part XI - 2,615 in ROI (46 deaths) 410 in NI (21 deaths)(29/03)*OP upd 28/03*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭amadangomor

It might be worth phoning your GP again. I have asthma. It's a bitch without inhalers but not noticeable with them. Did they prescribe inhalers or other treatment for the asthma?

Have an inhaler. Getting better at using it :) Helps alright but still breathing is quite laboured.
    Coughing up clear phlegm. Think that is that normal for asthma?

Even simple things like loading dishwasher am puffed out afterwards.

Whatever caused it is nasty. If Covid the virus is probably gone so would pass test at this stage. Hopefully antibody tests to come soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

When did we know that? Didn't hear anyone talking about it until January.

Bill Gates predicted it 5 years ago.

/M

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

It helps shape my opinion of people's attitudes and I will continue posting tweets and videos as I see fit to make my points.

There is an ignore button on the left. You don't have to view anything from me.

Nearly all your videos and links have an agenda. No need to ignore you, though. Its just as easy to refute.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

YFlyer wrote: »
    Just at Aldi, Dublin road Limerick. Nice and quiet.
    Was about an hour to get into Dunnes Cornelscourt today
    Message on loop to hurry up and if that doesn't work the staff will approach you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,368 ✭✭✭✭Professor Moriarty

You asked, sarcastically, how many people has she infected. That's a mean uncalled for comment.

Nope. It's a very valid question when a person chooses to ignore government directions and endangers other people's health and lives.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Un1corn wrote: »
    Germany experiencing quite scare numbers now also. 6933 yesterday, 6824 today.
    And if they are testing 500k a week, about 70k a day, that's nearly 10% of those tested

One of the big differences though in Germany, as I understand it, is they are testing a hell of a lot with minor or no symptoms, meaning their headline figure of confirmed cases looks quite high but their death rate appears quite low - that and the fact they seem to have more medical resources to deal with this

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,134 ✭✭✭caveat emptor

coastwatch wrote: »
    Italian doctors issued a plea last week to other countries to try to treat as many cases as possible at home, to avoid hospital transmissions.

They also recommended setting up Covid 19 only medical centres similar to the "Fever Hospital" approach taken in London 200 years ago.
    https://www.statnews.com/2020/03/21/coronavirus-plea-from-italy-treat-patients-at-home/

Read an article on this too. It makes sense to approach this way. People only call ambulance when disease is very advanced.

I see this as an inevitability unfortunately. Nobody will be going to hospital unless in need of serious attention. Throws up the question " When is it bad enough to call the ambulance?"

Asked the GP and said I should get a pulse oximeter and record levels daily. When blood oxygen dips you have a measurement to give over the phone. Helps with triage at very least. I'd strongly advise anybody at risk or who has higher than normal exposure.

In china, italy now here you are seeing an attitude that you are on you own as resources so stretched. By getting one of them you are helping the system triage you effectively. I'd advise anyone to get one.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oximeters/b?ie=UTF8&node=2826263031

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/Journaal-Weer/het-journaal-7/
    A Belgian hospital did a random COVID test on 164 patients who were admitted for other problems, anything car crash heart attack whatever, and 8% were positive

Another hospital did a similar test and 6% were positive.
    So there are likely hundreds of thousands of cases in Belgium, could be up to almost a million , just at this exact point in time

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Message on loop to hurry up and if that doesn't work the staff will approach you

I entered the store instantly. No queue. No grief.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Beasty wrote: »
    And if they are testing 500k a week, about 70k a day, that's nearly 10% of those tested

One of the big differences though in Germany, as I understand it, is they are testing a hell of a lot with minor or no symptoms, meaning their headline figure of confirmed cases looks quite high but their death rate appears quite low - that and the fact they seem to have more medical resources to deal with this

Conversely - the UK has nearly the opposite testing method

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,990 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

...horsewhips in hand

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

Tallaght is becoming one, no?
    The question was asked at the HSE press briefing on Thursday.
    I think the answer was " we're thinking about dedicated Covid 19 treatment centres"

• Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

john4321 wrote: »
    First flight about to land in China. https://www.flightradar24.com/EIN9018/244976fb

507399.JPG

Now our elite special forces shall exit the aircraft, take the capital and take down the regime :P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

Most of these new death spikes are because it has infiltrated nursing homes, and when these patients present to hospital they are not offered ICU care or ventilators.

The ICU admission criteria for Ireland is very strict unlike other parts of the world.

Unfortunately they already draw an arbitrary line across people with co-morbidities, this will be further accentuated now due to ventilator supply being very low.

I dont want to be one of these 'source' posters or your point is rubbished but I would like to know where you got this from. It sounds like you are saying that protocols discriminate at all times and not just currently when a high numbers of sick people are being triaged for a limited number of ICU beds. Without a DNR and under normal circumstances this would amount to a culling of the elderly and/or infirm!?? I know of no arbitrary line. I do know that the patient, if possible, or NOK would be fully informed on prognisis and would possibly have to make a very difficult decision.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

I didn't say the virus was out of control in China it was another poster. What I am trying to say is that it is wise to be skeptical of anything that comes out of China. They have also just barred foreigners entry to China and are kicking out journalists so we will never actually have any credible reports from China. There is no credible Chinese press and anything we read should be held up under the microscope.

Given the virality of this virus and the statistics from China it would be foolish to think they had it under control. Maybe they do but it is highly doubtful. Was speaking to a colleague in our Beijing office the other day and he was telling me 33% of the people are working in the office and 67% at home. They rotate. That is not the sign of a nation who has beaten this virus or has it under control.

Heres an article saying they have had to close cinemas: Cinema Closures

Why would China remove journalists?
    Taiwan invites former Chinese correspondents

Here's a link from Chinese South Morning Post saying they reckon a lot of cases still are not recorded in Wuhan:
    SCMP link

We all know the nature of China, it is not a free and democratic country.

The first article you linked to says cinemas were closed because of concern about a second wave of corona virus cases". It does not say there was an outbreak.

The second article says nothing about the pandemic, Just a puff piece for Taiwan a long time enemy of China.

The third article you link to says that many of the viral infections were asymptomatic, it does not say China tried to hide them. Being asymptomatic means that probably no one knew these cases existed. We have many here, are you accusing the Irish government of hiding them too?

I have asked here for a bit of proof of a second outbreak or that China is hiding the numbers today, I am sure you trawled google then just looked at the headline and then presented these as some sort of proof that China is lying about the virus . You should have read the articles first because I cannot believe that you think these make a coherent argument in support of your stance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

ziggyman17 wrote: »
    how many have you infected ?
    Well uh... infected with what?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,187 ✭✭✭FVP3

The Chinese Communist Party hasn't told the truth since 1949. They lie about everything. A good rule of thumb and how to know they are lying is if they are talking.

https://time.com/5811222/wuhan-coronavirus-death-toll/

US reporting on China is nearly all propaganda. For instance the idea that the responsibility for the virus lies with "China lying" ignores the fact that China informed the W.H.O in Dec 31, a few weeks after the outbreak, and a few days ( at most) after Beijing found out - until then it was the local party in Wuhan. Within 3 weeks they were in lockdown.

The reason to believe the Chinese figures is simple: If they are lying then what is ever going to work? Also they reported higher figures before the lockdown, and lower figures after.

wakka12 wrote: »
    https://www.vrt.be/vrtnws/nl/Journaal-Weer/het-journaal-7/
    A Belgian hospital did a random COVID test on 164 patients who were admitted for other problems, anything car crash heart attack whatever, and 8% were positive
    And that suggests a general infection rate in the high single digits is prevalent possibly across a lot of mainland Europe, maybe the likes of London and could be what we are facing before too long

• Registered Users Posts: 23,599 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

FVP3 wrote: »
    Nearly all your videos and links have an agenda.

What agenda is that :confused:

I mostly post statistics and hardly ever post videos actually.

My father in law used to go for a few pints almost every night, hes going a bit mad since the pubs closed, he wants to sow a vegetable garden, does anyone know where or how I can buy seeds?

There are lots of videos online about regenerating vegetables you already may have .
    Ive done it with celery . Can plant any sprouted potatoes, just quarter them and plant eyes facing upwards.

know its not what you asked for , but it might give him something to do, until he can get seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJuXpiEjdcc

• Advertisement

Nope. It's a very valid question when a person chooses to ignore government directions and endangers other people's health and lives.

How is it asking 'how many people has she infected to date' a valid question when there is no possible way in the world to give an answer to it?
    It's just grandstanding and looking for thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭kilkenny31

I haven't really looked at the figures compared to France, Spain, Italy, UK. How are we looking so far i.e. How do we compare to those countries at a similar stage. To me it seems like we are doing OK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,250 ✭✭✭Seamai

paul71 wrote: »
    Sometimes with the elderly there is simply no reasoning, be it dementia or simple stubbornness. I had an issue with my father during the week. In the end I stopped arguing with him and took away his car keys.

We're lucky, my mum has been cocooning for a week and has only been outside twice in the previous fortnight for hospital appointments. Age aside she's high risk and has her own experience of ICU, she's the one laying down the rules and we are not allowed beyond the kitchen door with messages. She's actually far less edgy since we've been staying outside the house.

I think its a really difficult ask of people 70 and over not to leave their homes at all with no idea of how long this will be for. I understand why but I also think its really sad and tough for them. Would the government ask all clinically obese people to "cocoon" themselves? Or ask all people who vape or smoke to do the same?

We elected our president to his second term when he was 76. Pat Kenny is 72.

This isnt meant as a contrarian post, it's meant as my observation on the situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Carol25

I’ve been taking breaks from social media and boards since the partial lock down began for my sanity. Have been following the coronavirus threads since the outbreak in Wuhan in China. Sad news re the number of deaths in the last few days here. A few issues I’ve been wondering about are:
    1. Are empty hospital type beds in primary care centres being opened here for the duration of this crisis?
    2. Are the EU and medics around the world good at sharing information quickly re what is working in treating this virus and what isn’t.
    3. Are the Irish government effectively saying we’ve moved to another stage in this outbreak and the numbers are much higher than official confirmed cases.
    4. People need to stop berating people out running and cycling, there’s no social distance issues if they choose a quiet location and people need exercise for physical and mental fitness.

Overall the government are providing great leadership and making a monumental effort to try and protect the Irish people. Hopefully we will all come through this and appreciate what we have all the more in the process.

How is it asking 'how many people has she infected to date' a valid question when there is no possible way in the world to give an answer to it?
    It's just grandstanding and looking for thanks.
    OK leave it there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,836 ✭✭✭10000maniacs

What lockdown are they talking about?
    Templebar a few minutes ago. There were 6 in that group a few seconds earlier.
    How many respirators did that get together cost?

What-lockdown.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,934 ✭✭✭✭fin12

• Registered Users Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭paul71

Jake1 wrote: »
    There are lots of videos online about regenerating vegetables you already may have .
    Ive done it with celery . Can plant any sprouted potatoes, just quarter them and plant eyes facing upwards.

know its not what you asked for , but it might give him something to do, until he can get seeds.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJuXpiEjdcc

It is a great way to pass the time, I have been harvesting my own flower and veg seed for a few years now. Have a 5 year old and eight year old at home and for the last week they wake up up early every morning and get ready to "go digging"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

ICUs - anyone any information about supplies of Helmet CPAP available to the Irish Hospital system, and whether their use forms any part of the treatment strategy.

Big advantage of CPAP is that it does not require intubation of the cases for which it is inititaily suitable.

It is relatively simple technology so it may be possible to produce and assemble here.

20160524-respiratory.jpg?itok=zo6Bw2lC&timestamp=1464030316

Italians have been adapting French diving masks with 3-D printed fittings.

ISINNOVAjpg-780x470.jpg

One study from Italy showed 30% of admissions needed respiratory support which was met with Helmet CPAP (not face mask CPAP*).
    https://rebelem.com/covid-19-a-powerful-message-from-italy/

Few days ago I read a report somewhere that Italians had found that with CPAP usage a significant number of the hospitalised did not deteriorate to the expected extent and so did not need ICU beds. (didn't link it unfortunately).

https://www.nih.gov/news-events/nih-research-matters/helmet-based-ventilation-eases-respiratory-distress
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=Exhaled+air+dispersion+during+non-invasive+ventilation+via+helmet+masks

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement