Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What will the economy look like in 6 months time?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 614 ✭✭✭J_1980

Maybe she should.

But what is your suggestion for the people who stack the shelves of Dublin Tescos? The lad who drives the forklift at Aldi?

These people are paid the living wage at best. That is 27k per year. Where in Dublin are they to live? Or do you believe all these jobs should be done by Moldovans living 10 to a house?

And while Cash is a traveller, why should some town in Leitrim become a ghetto for unemployable neer do wells from Dublin under your plan?

Ireland, but Dublin in particular, needs social and affordable housing. And preference for it should be given to the Irish lower income earner, not to Margaret Cash and her ilk.

On the flip side, Donegal needs relatively little social housing. I haven't looked in a while but in large swathes of the BMW region a single earner on as low as 20k would qualify for a mortgage on a 3 bed house in many towns.

60% of social housing tenants are not working.
    All of the existing ones are sufficient for the low income workers. Also no need for 3bed A2 houses for them, that is more than 70%o population can afford. Again, need to lower living standards.
    The 10%-50% are the biggest losers of the welfare state due to crowding out effect. But they are too stupid to see it, so no sympathies.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭Tesla3

There will be a bill at the end of this!

The wealthy will not want to pay it

Cuts in our social wave and protection should be resisted as we will all then be aware how important health and social protection is when we realise d how close to poverty we all all

Increase in taxes for the middle to high earners will be on the cards.....

Will we shape a new Ireland at the end of will it be business as usual?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,381 ✭✭✭Yurt2

J_1980 wrote: »
    60% of social housing tenants are not working.
    All of the existing ones are sufficient for the low income workers. Also no need for 3bed A2 houses for them, that is more than 70%o population can afford. Again, need to lower living standards.
    The 10%-50% are the biggest losers of the welfare state due to crowding out effect. But they are too stupid to see it, so no sympathies.

You completely and utterly ignored the thrust of the poster's point and are going off on another Margret Cash ramble because you can't handle the inherent contradictions in your feeble point of view.

Folk like you are a genuine danger to social cohesion in this country (not that you give a rat's ar*e) and should be socially isolated in a political sense when covid has been defeated. I mean that, there's too much at stake to have internet Paddy angrymen trying to dominate the stage with their illiterate nonsense.

Palmach wrote: »
    The loony left are toast politically. Awol throughout this crisis.

Indeed we have FG effectively nationlising private businesses and curtailing peoples civil liberties....who needs communism

Yurt! wrote: »
    You completely and utterly ignored the thrust of the poster's point and are going off on another Margret Cash ramble because you can't handle the inherent contradictions in your feeble point of view.

Folk like you are a genuine danger to social cohesion in this country (not that you give a rat's ar*e) and should be socially isolated in a political sense when covid has been defeated. I mean that, there's too much at stake to have internet Paddy angrymen trying to dominate the stage with their illiterate nonsense.

I just want every county to be like Switzerland. You have to throw the spongers under the bus to save the middle class (which I’d define generously as the 30%-98% of incomes). Being in that group can be entirely achieved through decent attitude and hard work, no privilege required to be a plumber or accountant.
    The post Corona world will be very different and a lot of pressure on society will come from Asia’s continued ascent :)

• Advertisement

I just want every county to be like Switzerland. You have to throw the spongers under the bus to save the middle class (which I’d define generously as the 30%-98% of incomes). Being in that group can be entirely achieved through decent attitude and hard work, no privilege required to be a plumber or accountant.
    The post Corona world will be very different and a lot of pressure on society will come from Asia’s continued ascent :)

I can tell by reading the above you don't have a clue about how the Swiss organise their society.

I also doubt you have much a clue about Asia.

All you have in your political 'brainbox' is a daily rager about the tiny percentage of society that is long term unemployed. You're boring, unsophisticated and boiling over with hatred.

P.S your smiley faces at the end of your posts excentuate your gormlesssness

• Registered Users Posts: 5,418 ✭✭✭Nollog

I can tell by reading the above you don't have a clue about how the Swiss organise their society.

All you have in your political 'brainbox' is a daily rager about the tiny percentage of society that is long term unemployed. You're boring, unsophisticated and boiling over with hatred.

Why do you hate this poster so much?

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Why do you hate this poster so much?

All he has to say is waster this, waster that. Everyone's a waster and that's why we have unaffordable property, rents and high taxes. The reality is Ireland has one of the most economically productive populations in the world, with a very small cohort of long term unemployed.

It's a 2 dimensional sub-Thatcherite view of the world (even Thatcher was right some of the time, he's wrong all of the time).

It's laced with stupidity and mean-spiritedness and worst of all, he actually thinks he's clever.

Deserves the shellacking with all his fellow-travelers.

You want everyone to be army trained in a country were 1 in 4 vote for SF

And mandatory armed training for everyone aged 19 up....upto 40% whom vote for SF....something tells me you havnt quite taught through this great plan of yours

• Registered Users Posts: 23,317 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Tbf the removal of AirB&B has helped loosen housing supply greatly. Hopefully AirB&B wont make a return after this.

• Advertisement

All he has to say is waster this, waster that. Everyone's a waster and that's why we have unaffordable property, rents and high taxes. The reality is Ireland has one of the most economically productive populations in the world, with a very small cohort of long term unemployed.

It's a 2 dimensional sub-Thatcherite view of the world (even Thatcher was right some of the time, he's wrong all of the time).

It's laced with stupidity and mean-spiritedness and worst of all, he actually thinks he's clever.

Deserves the shellacking with all his fellow-travelelers.

Quite the gutting there :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Tesla3 wrote: »
    There will be a bill at the end of this!

The wealthy will not want to pay it

Cuts in our social wave and protection should be resisted as we will all then be aware how important health and social protection is when we realise d how close to poverty we all all

Increase in taxes for the middle to high earners will be on the cards.....

Will we shape a new Ireland at the end of will it be business as usual?

High earners will relocate n middle class have no more to give imo. Multinationals won't be in the humour for pay increases to cushion the blow.
    Which leaves spending. Spending was out of control with Pascal the last few years, tax cuts were not worth talking about. Dunno if whoever is in government has the bottle to do it though! Get the imf back , they don't have one eye on re-election!

Try living as a single mum, no job with 3 kids in Switzerland and Asia (anywhere really) and compare the outcome to the generous alimentation in Ireland. Just lol.

And ireland “productivity” is solely the result of stealing European tax revenues undercutting taxation (to be clear I’m not against that, competition is healthy and the ONLY advantage the EU has over the USA where single states can hardly compete).
    All these goons who believe the “language” or “education” is the reason for the Irish economy. Try being outside of the eu, that wealth will be gone faster than facemasks for sale at boots....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,866 ✭✭✭enricoh

Eh, who's boiling over with hatred?! Not u , I take it!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

The lenders to the motor trade and the garages will take a serious hammering, SUV and cars be for nothing.
    I hardly ever see a car more than 5 years old and the vast majority on finance + bump.

The Dublin/country thing interesting, rents will decrease big-time in Dublin and hopefully these corporate cookoo housing people will get caught.
    Unfortunately Dublin has being badly planned. If Dublin had being allowed develop properly 20 years ago Dublin Airport and the big hospital we need would be half hour west of the city with proper train link, the whole country would have easy access and benefit everyone.
    Instead the arguement was about which of our friends land we build on. Its a real wake up to the "people who thought were in control"
    Sorry if i drifted from topic....

Dorakman wrote: »
    We do have the 3 billion reserve from the no-deal Brexit fund, so hopefully that absorbs some of the costs.

Haven't done the sums, but I'd wager the vaunted rainy day fund will be fully wiped out in the next few weeks with the income supports announced.

All eyes will now be on Europe and if bloc bond issuance will proceed. Two sides are now clearly forming. We'll see what European solidarity is made of in the next few months.

enricoh wrote: »
    Eh, who's boiling over with hatred?! Not u , I take it!!

I've a low tolerance for politics tinged with hatred for fellow citizens trying to get by. Particularly in a time of national crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 811 ✭✭✭RedDevil55

We were discussing this in the house last night. In all previous recessions, unemployed Irish people emigrated to America, UK or Canada/Australia more recently. The opposite is happening now. Huge numbers that are on 1 or 2 year work visas in these countries are returning to Ireland. Add that to the approx 300k Irish jobs that have gone because of Covid. Will there be jobs for all these extra people in 3 months time?

If not the unemployment numbers will remain high and there won't be a significant bounce back.

Haven't done the sums, but I'd wager the vaunted rainy day fund will be fully wiped out in the next few weeks with the income supports announced.

All eyes will now be on Europe and if bloc bond issuance will proceed. Two sides are now clearly forming. We'll see what European solidarity is made of in the next few months.

Merkel will win. Eurobonds without conditions are an impossible sell in Germany. Whoever does that can scratch the next election. Germans retire at 68, Dutch at 70. Italy, Spain, France at 58-65.
    Solidarity is a terribly misused word in that regard, more like transfer union and unwillingness to adapt to the 21st century. Plus a healthy bit of sponging attitude.

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭ITman88

Try living as a single mum, no job with 3 kids in Switzerland and Asia (anywhere really) and compare the outcome to the generous alimentation in Ireland. Just lol.

And ireland “productivity” is solely the result of stealing European tax revenues undercutting taxation (to be clear I’m not against that, competition is healthy and the ONLY advantage the EU has over the USA where single states can hardly compete).
    All these goons who believe the “language” or “education” is the reason for the Irish economy. Try being outside of the eu, that wealth will be gone faster than facemasks for sale at boots....

This is an excellent post.

The low corporate tax rate is what Ireland is built upon. When not if, we lose that advantage, our quality of life will diminish rapidly.

The “language” benefit is laughable, we are possibly the least linguistic country in the EU, most of us communicate in only 1 language!
    I deal with French, German and Finnish at work at they speak multiple languages fluently

• Advertisement

RedDevil55 wrote: »
    We were discussing this in the house last night. In all previous recessions, unemployed Irish people emigrated to America, UK or Canada/Australia more recently. The opposite is happening now. Huge numbers that are on 1 or 2 year work visas in these countries are returning to Ireland. Add that to the approx 300k Irish jobs that have gone because of Covid. Will there be jobs for all these extra people in 3 months time?

If not the unemployment numbers will remain high and there won't be a significant bounce back.

These jobs will come back. It’s a supply shock, not a demand recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,608 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

The economy will tank - for how long is the question ?

Assuming life gets back to some form of normality mid-summer , the American election could play a big part on how long the recession lasts , also at home Sinn Fein have being quiet during this emergency - will we have an early election - Will it be sinn Fein or Fine Gael who have to try to re-build the economy -

Personally I never got out of the last recession, so I seam to live in a permanent recession.

It was the single mothers all along.

How many single jobless mothers are there in Ireland? I heard it was a single unemployed mother that flew one of the planes into the World Trade Centre, assassinated the Archduke in Sarejevo too.

Like I said, 2D sub-Thatcherite garbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,010 ✭✭✭✭niallo27

ITman88 wrote: »
    This is an excellent post.

The low corporate tax rate is what Ireland is built upon. When not if, we lose that advantage, our quality of life will diminish rapidly.

The “language” benefit is laughable, we are possibly the least linguistic country in the EU, most of us communicate in only 1 language!
    I deal with French, German and Finnish at work at they speak multiple languages fluently

There is talk of losing this low corporation tax rate for over 15 years now, what makes you think we will lose it now.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

niallo27 wrote: »
    There is talk of losing this low corporation tax rate for over 15 years now, what makes you think we will lose it now.

We will not lose it Donald wants them back in the US.
    He spoke of our friends in Ireland and all the work they do for us on St Patricks day from the White House, i read the article and he is on it, that's our problem i think.

I didn’t say we would lose the tax rate, Donald will lower his corporation tax, thus we lose our advantage

We will not lose it Donald wants them back in the US.
    He spoke of our friends in Ireland and all the work they do for us on St Patricks day from the White House, i read the article and he is on it, that's our problem i think.

Same though, there is talk of this for years and nothing ever happens. Money talks and if they havent offered the incentives to return to the states by now what makes you think they will now.

I didn’t say we would lose the tax rate, Donald will lower his corporation tax, thus we lose our advantage

Why hasnt he done it before now, they will lose billions on the existing revenue. It could take years to re locate and validate. He will be gone by then.

Why hasnt he done it before now, they will lose billions on the existing revenue. It could take years to re locate and validate. He will be gone by then.

I do hope you are right, but it’s foreign investment only here due to a low corporate tax rate.
    That is the only reason they are based in Ireland

• Advertisement

I do hope you are right, but it’s foreign investment only here due to a low corporate tax rate.
    That is the only reason they are based in Ireland

I am not naive enough to think it's not hugely important but we do have a strong educated workforce. Dell were burnt badly when they left for Poland.

Advertisement