Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reberetta's Walrus Reveal AKA Reberrus!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,538 ✭✭✭✭Trigger

Great reveal Reb, enjoyed reading your details. Some lovely choices in there too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

Oooh points for Grade rather than Placement... Interesting flex Reb...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

tusk wrote: »
    this is starting to get scary now. I might just unfollow :pac:

Vindicated!! Great choice ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Good work Reb - shame you didn't like mine but Walrus isn't a game I play to win (as opposed to all the others that I'm terrible at as well!)

Hopefully the next one tickles your fancy more

Phew! Was worried as I saw the list go down and I hadn't been revealed yet....Smashing Pumpkins are one of my absolute favourite bands and Eye is one of my absolute favourite songs by them (or by anyone), so really didn't want to come last in this round.* Glad we saw eye to eye on that one Reberetta. :) And great job on the reveal, look forward to Round 2 (unless the apocalypse comes even closer and we have to abandon the game immediately, declaring the current leader the winner - I'd be ok with that! :pac: )

This was one of those rounds where the second I saw the category I knew Eye was gonna be my submission.

*Obviously don't want to come last in any round, but particularly not this one! :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭lassykk

Happy with 5th place with Chris Cornell. Looking forward to listening to the other tracks on the list!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Yeah I totally read that question wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Nice reveal Reberetta, still cant believe no one went with this!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Good work Reb - shame you didn't like mine

It's not that I didn't like it. There are some songs you like and can leave, some songs you like and come back to, then some songs you love and put on a playlist. Yours fell into the first category. A score of 5 or above in this Walrus means I thought it was decent.

Coming up soon today is 3. Song To Play At A Funeral. I know some people take funerals seriously and have entered songs close to their heart, so no offence intended as my reviews get harsher and darkly humourous. Besides, once you have decided to enter my Walrus, you must suffer the consequences. :D

Songs scored out of ten again. Tied songs placed higher on preference naturally.

13th down to 3rd revealed initially. Then 14th, 2nd, last and first.

If anyone wants to create a Walrus playlist from the songs above, go ahead. I don't have it myself because I was using someone else's youtube account and they've since deleted.

Right then, time for round 2.

Song To Play At A Funeral.

• Advertisement

Have I heard of this artist: Yes
    Have I heard this song before: No

Intro has a country vibe, then it cranks up.  "I can slap a tornado" is a quirky, clever line. I feel like I've heard it before even though I haven't; musically there's nothing captivating or inventive. I'd prefer heavier drums. The chorus is ok but it quickly grows old. The ending is a drag.

"I ain't buying no future when the past is so far away". What does that even mean? Is it a cynical reference to Jesus and churches concerned with profiting? Is this song partly to do with religious dogma? I don't care enough to ponder.

A distinctly middle of the road rocker with a generic central riff. A poor man's Soundgarden.

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Carve "I ain't buying no future when the past is so far away!!!" into the tombstone of the deceased.

Score: 4/10

13th place:
    beakerjoe

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

:D

beaker with the wrestling themes, me likey!!

Necro wrote: »
    :D

beaker with the wrestling themes, me likey!!

Whose entrance music is it?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Reberetta wrote: »
    Whose entrance music is it?

Used to be this guys:

tumblr_opay5sqFv11u1ljrzo1_540.gif

Hardyz ruled.

Clannad Siuil, A Run

This is reminiscent of some of Donovan's material. The word 'minstrel' springs to mind; folky, melodious acoustic guitars with harmonious vocals, delivered partly in the native language which adds to the almost medieval mood. It's definitely suitable for a saturnine day of mourning. It also might be an appropriate score for a few scenes in the original Wicker Man movie. It's decent but a little lengthy and boring.

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Join hands and dance in a circle around the grave with my fellow heartbroken mourners.

Score: 5.5/10

12th Place:
    Also Starring LeVar Burton

giphy.gif

The more I listened to that song, the less I liked it. Sorry Mr. Burton.

The more I listened to that song, the less I liked it. Sorry Mr. Burton.

Ugh, don't call me Mr. please, makes me feel physically ill. :(

Fair enough on your opinion of the song though, its not for everyone I suppose.

Billy Boyd The Last Goodbye

Have I heard of this artist: No

Billy Boyd is a Scottish thespian whose acting career has not come to my notice.

Subdued strings with a gentle strumming guitar throughout and elegiac musings with a choral accompaniment delivered in a heroic, lofty style. I've never seen The Hobbit, but I can envision someone being filmed singing this on the bow of a pirate ship by panning cameras high above. This is a song for a cinematic hero, not a hobbit. Not bad.

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Jump onto the coffin and perform a singalong with grandiose gestures.

Score: 6/10

11th place:
    Pretzill

• Advertisement

Ugh, don't call me Mr. please, makes me feel physically ill. :(

May I address you as Sir or Lord?

Have I heard this song before: Yes, but I didn't remember it.

A plaintive plain song, a simple yet iconic anthem; this is a cover of a classic traditional Scottish number. The "parting glass" was the final hospitality offered to a departing guest. This has been around since at least 1605. Apparently, the lyricist is unknown.

His voice has no standout quality. Why is he so popular? I haven't paid much attention to Ed Sheeran and his acclaimed music, but I did listen to this album once and never again. An uninspired, insipid cover, but it is a splendid, hymnal staple.

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Piss into a glass and offer it to the priest.

Score: 6/10

10th place:
    $hifty

May I address you as Sir or Lord?

Sir is just as bad as Mr.

Lord is more acceptable, but definitely not crazy about it.

Professor (Prof) or Captain (Cap'n) or something similarly gender neutral would be much more preferable if you wish to use honorifics.

Never mind me though, I'm just having a day.

No problemo ASLB.

Have I heard of this artist: No
    Have I heard this song before: No. Just kidding.

This surpasses Ed Sheeran's rendition. Superior singers, soulfully and sonically in sync, carolling a pleasing surround salutation. Dainty ditty produced with minimal effort. Sometimes less is more. Noble. Funny fact: the way they emphasise "I" recalls James Hetfield's style to my mind. Presumably they're Irish?

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Inform the smoking hot widow that Ed Sheeran also covered this song in order to impress her with musical knowledge ( if she ignores me, offer her the glass intended for the priest).

Score: 6.5/10

9th Place:
    tusk

Wonders how many versions of The Parting Glass have been submitted... I had considered submitting yet another version of it myself actually.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,688 ✭✭✭✭Electric Nitwit

Wonders how many versions of The Parting Glass have been submitted... I had considered submitting yet another version of it myself actually.

And Hozier did it on the Late Late last night I think

Still no sign of my song, that's (hopefully) good :p

Brad Paisley Ft. Dolly Parton When I Get Where I'm Going

Have I heard of this artist: No and yes

Have I turned on Downtown Radio? No, it's Brad Paisley, Bill Paisley's less successful brother. He sucks, but thankfully Dolly Parton is here to save it with her gargantuan mammary glands fine lilting intonations of beauty. It's not a genre I go for a great deal, but this has a serviceable, hooky chorus and doesn't outstay its welcome. It has the traditional twang. It's not doleful, but rather buoyant with a minuscule bounce. The bridge however, is anaemic.

The line "Then I'll hug his neck" sounds stupid. And how can you get where you're going? Is he cleverly saying he is never settled or is he just a dumb redneck cowboy from Texas? My money's on the latter, taking this couplet into consideration:

"I'm gonna land beside a lion
    And run my fingers through his mane"

The video is slush too, but I grew to like this hillybilly schmuck.

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Sing "Like A Rhinestone Cowboy!"

Score: 7/10

8th place:
    Spook ie

Oh I like that one Spook. I'm unashamedly a fan of country though :D

Begins with what I presume is repeating programmed notes on keyboard and the distinct intoning of whatshername, then there's some sounds like synth and drumstick rattling, the drumbeat then changes in the next verse, eventually getting heavier and more prominent, then Karen O starts singing 'O'; hilarious irony! I chuckled!

It concludes with a droning, ethereal fade... so there's a lot going on, and yet I'm left feeling that nothing has really happened. I've just been drenched in instruments. Kudos for some sterling drum-work drummer whose name I do not know. You saved this for me.

The video is stylish and artistic and I like it more than the music. The track is good-but good like warm, weak soup is good at a homeless shelter.

What I would do if this was played at a funeral: Start drumming on the coffin with a couple of large branches I broke off the cemetery trees- much to the chagrin of the dead woman's kids.

Score: 7/10

7th Place:
    Deleted User

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,283 ✭✭✭fixXxer

Oooh good to see the Yeah Yeah Yeah :)

Advertisement