Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Reberetta's Walrus Reveal AKA Reberrus!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭Reberetta

Jillian Mayer Mega Mega Upload

Have I heard of this artist: No
    Have I heard this song before: No

The hook "All I wannabe is the original.." is fab. This is infectious heavy pop with interesting lyrics on the online obsession of modern culture.  A bit odd, but not awfully bizarre.  I could easily picture some regular popular artist singing this track or Jay-Z butting in with a rap. The video is certainly kooky; I like her eccentricity. I wish I had more to say about this because it's superb and I want to place it higher, but I just don't think it's that strange...hmmm, Jillian is a nice name. I will check out more from Ms. Mayer.

Weirdness: 1/5
    Song: 8.5/10
    Overall: 9.5

8th place:
    fixXxer

BTW, the entrant gave me a choice of two and I discarded this one:
    https://youtu.be/YfY1lfFu8j8

• Registered Users Posts: 4,683 ✭✭✭Pretzill

Reberetta wrote: »
    It's a good thing, because I presumed that the drumming on this track was being provided by a drum machine or drummer. In reality, the dude with the guitar is doing most, if not all, of the drumming!

Isn't one using a drum pedal?

Yes, I believe so.

How do I describe this? Mindless repetitive rave-dance hardcore pop?  It's not terrible, but I prefer Theo from The Cosby Show over Mental Theo. Hell, I'd prefer to spend a night with Bill Cosby in his jail cell than listen to this on repeat.

Uptempo, cheery harmless fun with a few twists and turns. 1.19-1.52 and 2.19-2.42 are my favourite segments. The lyrics aren't exactly Leonard Cohen. It's not the most peculiar thing I've ever heard as it sounds like a lot of dance to my ears. I could envision dancing happily to this tune in Ibiza. If I could dance or was happy. Or knew where Ibiza was. Or had enough money for a plane ticket to get there. Worthy entry.

Weirdness: 3/5
    Song: 7/10
    Overall: 10

7th place:
    Rikand

Clipping Wriggle

I guess this is...er trance rap? From the Sub Pop record label, who have signed Soundgarden, Nirvana, Mudhoney and co. in the past comes a not so illustrious group of musicians.

It has a strong, fast bass-beat undercurrent. Unfortunately, it doesn't move me to sing along, dance or crush caterpillars with a rolling pin whilst wearing women's stilettos-the latter being the ultimate acid test for good music.

I like the lyric "Can you do the chlorine gargoyle?" to which I will have to reply "No, but funny you should ask, as I've always wanted to, but never really got the time-what with work and the kids". Frantic, perplexing and a bit disturbing, but not immensely enjoyable.

Weirdness: 5/5
    Song: 5/10
    Overall: 10

6th place:
    tusk

• Advertisement

Have I heard of this artist: Yes
    Have I heard this song before: Yes

This is an awesome tune. I particularly like the lead vocals. However, it has never struck me as weird. It's orthodox pop whose lyrics are unusual, but in the same tradition of La Bamba, Be Bop a Lula, 'The Police's gibberish classic' De Do Do Do De Da Da Da and others in the pop-rock canon. The verses are actually quite sad. I could picture The Jacksons singing this song; it reminds me of them. I'd love to hear a Marilyn Manson cover version.

Weirdness: 0.5/5
    Song: 10/10
    Overall: 10.5

5th place:
    Necro

As far as urinary tracks go, it doesn't stink. "My balls feel like a pair of maracas" is a memorable line. However, I'd prefer the lyrics to hold more gravity as it's a fine piece of music. Frank preferred to take the piss. Did Captain Beefheart and Zappa ever collaborate? Google tells me yes, and they knew each other from their schooldays. I'm not surprised. The best part begins at 1.22, with an interlude blending Queen with Pink Floyd. I like it, not a lot, but I like it.

Song: 6.5/10
    Overall: 11.5

4th place:
    Pretzill

With six to be revealed, here are the standings.

Electric Nitwit 41.5
    fixXxer 39
    tusk 39
    Necro 38.5
    Rikand 38
    lassykk 37
    Pretzill 36.5
    phatkev 34
    beakerjoe 33.5

Not revealed:

ShaneU 32.5
    Homer J. Fong 31
    Spook ie  30
    Gru  29.5
    $hifty 29
    Also Starring LeVar Burton 28.5

Coming up in order: 13th, 3rd, 14th, 2nd, 15th, 1st.

Captain Beefheart Neon Meate Dream Of A Octafish

This is probably surreal, psychedelic genius which I am not intellectual enough to appreciate. Or it could just be absolute cowpat created whilst high on drugs and without rehearsal. I don't know how he could remember the words in a live setting whilst concentrating on playing an instrument too. "Stirrupped in syrup" is a lyrical highlight.

If Pablo Picasso, Salvador Dali, David Lynch, Terry Gilliam and Gertrude Stein formed a band, this is what would result. I'd like to hear a karaoke version performed at 5am in a Dublin bar. This apparently came out in the sixties which must have made The Beatles and The Beach Boys sound as experimental as The Spice Girls. It sounds like The Shaggs; only a lot more sophisticated.

I could never genuinely enjoy listening to this to be honest, although if I were an elitist dandy of dada who wanted to impress my hippy arty-farty friends from New York, I would probably pretend otherwise. Each to his own.

Song: 2/10
    Overall: 7

13th place:
    Homer J.Fong

Whose chance of outright victory may be up in flames...

This song is arguably less interesting than the video, which features a dude who looks like a gargoyle version of Jay Kay from Jamiroquai. I wonder how big this track would be without the legendary visuals? It's a relaxing, chill tune with a unique, glitchy rhythm and a bit of rock, but although it doesn't rivet, it's not riveting.  I know some consider it a classic, but not me, cause I'm a rebel without a cause.

I have no idea what a window licker is so I'm going to assume it's a window cleaner who is also on the sex offender's registrar? In which case, I'm delighted someone has finally written a song about yours truly. About time.

A worthy choice.

Song: 7/10
    Overall: 12

3rd place:
    $hifty

• Advertisement

:P You wanted weird, I gave you weird!
    Check out Pena from the same album, if you haven't already; it's as weird as Neon Dream... but even less accessible/listener-friendly.
    Whose chance of outright victory may be up in flames...

And here's my reply to that statement:

:pac:

"I burned my Beatles records
    Because she hated number nine"

I hope I didn't just give away the ending (props to anyone who gets that reference!).

I preferred their music in the early days when it was short, straightforward infectious pop, which is not to say I don't like some of their more experimental forays, but this is one of my least favourite Beatles songs, if not the worst thing they ever committed to record. It's certainly freaky, but it has no recognisable, consistent tune to cling to; it's just a montage of abstraction. Maybe back in the day it was ground-breaking and avant-garde, but it hasn't aged well in my opinion.

Are they saying '**** that dick!" at the end? Disgraceful; I almost dropped my teacup and saucer onto my serviette. Is it any wonder the youth of today don't respect their elders when they're inspired by Liverpudlian thugs?

Even geniuses get it wrong sometimes.

Song: 0.5/10
    Overall: 5.5

14th place:
    ShaneU

Who still has a chance of winning outright with the right guess and best song bonuses...

• Registered Users Posts: 18,503 ✭✭✭✭Also Starring LeVar Burton

My nerves...

• Registered Users Posts: 14,821 ✭✭✭✭ShaneU

Ah crap, I thought I actually submitted something else "an actual good song" before that caveat was put in place! :D

They Might Be Giants Birdhouse In Your Soul

This is a classic track; bizarre, contagious, with unusual arrangement and dynamics and a weird video to boot. Apparently, the lyrics are narrated from the perspective of a blue nightlight shaped like a canary.  It features an unconventional drum beat wherein the snare drum sounds on every beat. It makes an unanticipated jump from its initial key C major to E-flat major, and then back to C major. I stole that info from wikipedia, so don't be fooled into thinking I know anything about music. But I do know this is fantastic.

Overall: 15

2nd place:
    Gru

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

Come on already, give me my 5 points! :D

This sounds like Bjork and Kate Bush thrust into Jeff Goldblum's blending machine in The Fly; and upon their exit, injected with a large dose of LSD and meth. Or Regina Spektor's demented, inbred cousin who has just escaped from the insane asylum with a pair of scissors.

I don't know what this song is about, but the word 'Sapokanikan' sounds like what I'd guess an eskimo would have for breakfast. So, in my mind, this is a tribute to an eskimo's breakfast cereal; possibly of the shredded wheat variety. I could do with a bowlful while listening to this oddball.

I really like her cadence and the melody. The lyrics are amazing and include a reference to a Shelley poem in the opening verse, so it's a pity you can't really hear what she's saying. She even fits in the word 'Obsolescence'. Look and despair, but listen and marvel too! Mesmerizing.

1st place and winner of category
    A.S.L. Burton

I like the song Push The Little Daisies by Ween, which is all I'm familiar with from this artist.  This is slow, ponderous, a trifle dull and goes down a drain to nowhere. It features something which sounds like a xylophone, possibly a xylophone. There is a whippy sound buried in there somewhere-I suspect someone is being punished for pushing the record button. Rock and toilet roll, an almost tuneless turd, but at least the agony isn't prolonged like constipation. This is a fancy way of saying I think it is shyte, sorry submitter!

Weirdness: 4/5
    Song: 1.5/10

15th place and last:
    Spook ie

• Registered Users Posts: 20,340 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

Gru and ASl with the perfect 15

This sounds like Bjork and Kate Bush thrust into Jeff Goldblum's blending machine in The Fly; and upon their exit, injected with a large dose of LSD and meth. Or Regina Spektor's demented, inbred cousin who has just escaped from the insane asylum with a pair of scissors.

I don't know what this song is about, but the word 'Sapokanikan' sounds like what I'd guess an eskimo would have for breakfast. So, in my mind, this is a tribute to an eskimo's breakfast cereal; possibly of the shredded wheat variety. I could do with a bowlful while listening to this oddball.

I really like her cadence and the melody. The lyrics are amazing and include a reference to a Shelley poem in the opening verse, so it's a pity you can't really hear what she's saying. She even fits in the word 'Obsolescence'. Look and despair, but listen and marvel too! Mesmerizing.

A.S.L. Burton

Honestly after my quite low scores in the middle rounds, after a great start with a 2nd place finish for Patti Smith in the B-Sides, I did not have much hope for Joanna Newsom.

It's my first 1st place in a Walrus round, so delighted with that anyway. :D

She's Andy Sambergs missus by the way. Can you imagine the jam sessions in that gaff - The Lonely Island in one room and Joanna and her beautiful madness in another.

Was torn on whether to enter this one or another of hers that I absolutely love, and is probably more weird for sure, but I just love Sapokanikan so had to go with that one...

Check out Peach, Plum, Pear though...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,896 ✭✭✭✭Spook_ie

A.S.L. Burton

I like the song Push The Little Daisies by Ween, which is all I'm familiar with from this artist.  This is slow, ponderous, a trifle dull and goes down a drain to nowhere. It features something which sounds like a xylophone, possibly a xylophone. There is a whippy sound buried in there somewhere-I suspect someone is being punished for pushing the record button. Rock and toilet roll, an almost tuneless turd, but at least the agony isn't prolonged like constipation. This is a fancy way of saying I think it is shyte, sorry submitter!

Weirdness: 4/5
    Song: 1.5/10

15th place and last:
    Spook ie

Only 4/5 For weirdness, fix I say, fix!

:)

• Advertisement

Penultimate Scores

Name|B-side/Live|Funeral Song|Vocal Performance|Weird Music|Total
    Homer J|10(1)|7(7)|14(11)|7(13)|38
    A.S.L.B|9(2)|5.5(12)|14(10)|15(1)|43.5
    tusk |9(3)|6.5(9)|13.5(12)|10(6)|39
    Spook ie |8.5(4)|7(8)|14.5(9)|5.5(15)|35.5
    lassykk |8.5(5)|7(5)|12.5(15)|9(9)|37
    $hifty |7.5(6)|6(10)|15.5(5)|12(3)|41
    beakerjoe |7.5(7)|4(13)|13(14)|9(10)|33.5
    Necro |7.5(8)|0.5(15)|20(1)|10.5(5)|38.5
    phatkev |7(9)|3(14)|16.5(3)|7.5(12)|34
    Gru |7(10)|7.5(4)|15(7)|15(2)|44.5
    ShaneU |7(11)|10(1)|15.5(6)|5.5(14)|38
    fixXxer |6.5(12)|8.5(3)|14.5(8)|9.5(8)|39
    Electric N.|6(13)|9.5(2)|17(2)|9(11)|41.5
    Pretzill |6(14)|6(11)|13(13)|11.5(4)|36.5
    Rikand |5(15)|7(6)|16(4)|10(7)|38

All that remains:

1. Minus 3.5 points to someone for worst song overall.
    2. Bonus 3.5 points to someone for best song overall.
    3. Bonus 3.5 points for the person who has guessed my favourite artist/band correctly.

So, worst song overall? Any guesses?

Westlife

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 51,014 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

*waves*

It's either the Westlife one or Revolution Nine...I reckon you might surprise us and go for the latter.

It's either the Westlife one or Revolution Nine...I reckon you might surprise us and go for the latter.

At least I knew the Beatles song was terrible before I submitted it! :D

Yes, that's right! :D

But you know what? Since Necro gave me Adele Someone Like You, I'm going to let him off with no deduction. All is forgiven.

Now 3.5 points for best song overall. This was a tough decision. The contenders:

Edith Piaf Non Je Ne Regrette Rien
    Adele Someone Like You
    Joanna Newsom Sapokanikan
    Smashing Pumpkins Eye

I had to think long and hard about this and made my decision in the last few hours...

Best Song Overall

Adele Someone Like You

I couldn't separate them.:)

Standings:

Also Starring LeVar Burton
    Gru

Now to reveal who has guessed my favourite band correctly and won 3.5 bonus points.The only person who can snatch victory from A.S.L.B is Gru...

Gru said Foo Fighters. Our survey said...

Best Song Overall

Really glad you liked it, its one of my absolute favourites.

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

lassykk was correct with Nirvana!

Final Scores

Name|B-side/Live|Funeral Song|Vocal Performance|Weird Music|Total
    Homer J|10(1)|7(7)|14(11)|7(13)|38
    A.S.L.B|9(2)|5.5(12)|14(10)|15(1)|47
    tusk |9(3)|6.5(9)|13.5(12)|10(6)|39
    Spook ie |8.5(4)|7(8)|14.5(9)|5.5(15)|35.5
    lassykk |8.5(5)|7(5)|12.5(15)|9(9)|40.5
    $hifty |7.5(6)|6(10)|15.5(5)|12(3)|41
    beakerjoe |7.5(7)|4(13)|13(14)|9(10)|33.5
    Necro |7.5(8)|0.5(15)|20(1)|10.5(5)|42
    phatkev |7(9)|3(14)|16.5(3)|7.5(12)|34
    Gru |7(10)|7.5(4)|15(7)|15(2)|44.5
    ShaneU |7(11)|10(1)|15.5(6)|5.5(14)|38
    fixXxer |6.5(12)|8.5(3)|14.5(8)|9.5(8)|39
    Electric N.|6(13)|9.5(2)|17(2)|9(11)|41.5
    Pretzill |6(14)|6(11)|13(13)|11.5(4)|36.5
    Rikand |5(15)|7(6)|16(4)|10(7)|38

Commiserations to Gru.

Sorry to beakerjoe who started his PM to me with "Hi R, Long time loser of Walrus and a glutton for punishment"...it wasn't intentional.:pac:

Congratulations to Also Starring LeVar Burton, champion of Reberrus. Send me an Irish address if you want your prize!

Thanks for playing and reading everyone!

That was tiring, I'm off for a rest...:D

• Advertisement

I won a Walrus! I won a bloody Walrus! That's all I've ever wanted since I first came to Forum Games! Huzzah!

giphy.gif

Advertisement