Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone else having incredibly vivid and lucid dreams?

Options
  • 28-03-2020 12:17am
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,586 Mod ✭✭✭✭

As the thread title asks, is anyone else here having very vivid, detailed dreams in the past couple of weeks?

Now, normally I remember a lot of my dreams, and sometimes quite clearly, but the frequency of these lucid dreams has shot up since I’ve been stuck at home and only getting out once a day to either shop for food or take a walk in the park (which I may not now be allowed to do).

I’m writing a dream diary the past few days and bejaysus, there is so much recall and detail in my dreams that by the time this Covid-19 situation finally abates, I will probably have enough material for a novel or two!!

Here’s a few dreams I’ve had lately:

A young Czech woman was hellbent on turning the Merrion area of Dublin into a new super high rise office quarter with steel and concrete towering over the genteel 1930s villas - and was succeeding - I was part of a group trying to resist this development...

I was in a sort of prison/hospital institution with about 5 guys to a room. Each day a stern looking nurse would call into the room to take one of us away, and they would never be seen again. We were all bricking it, as to who would be taken away next....

It is London in the early Georgian era, circa 1735. I am a barge owner and with the frenzy of canal building going on in and around the city, I am anxious for a great ring canal to be built around the burgeoning city with access to the sea. Only problem is that the tides gush in through the canals and swaps the city and drowns boatmen. So, we need locks...lots and lots of locks. But nice narrow steep brick clad locks that are safe to use.

Care to share your own dreams?

Or is is just me?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

I don't remember my dreams but when I do, I remember them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,110 ✭✭✭ceadaoin.

Saw this earlier

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-8159479/Having-unusual-dreams-lockdown-You-not-alone.html

So it isn't just you it seems! I cant remember my dreams at all lately, so I'm the opposite
    People isolating indoors to slow the spread of coronavirus are experiencing more intense and longer-lasting dreams due to cabin fever, a psychologist claims.

Professor Mark Blagrove from Swansea University says a lack of stimulation caused by staying at home for days on end is changing the way people sleep and dream.

Millions of people have been told to 'stay indoors' by the government to slow the spread of the deadly COVID-19 and to protect key workers who still need to be out.

Blagrove said there was a metaphorical 'replication of life in dreams' which focuses on the 'more emotional side' and those aspects are heightening at the moment.

He said: 'For a lot of people, they won't dream about their working life because, generally, it's not that interesting.

'But if the current situation gives people more interesting things happening, it may happen that people are dreaming more.'

With workers no longer having to commute to their offices following the outbreak of COVID-19, there is a greater opportunity for people to sleep in, the expert said.

This gives them more opportunity to dream as they'll be in bed more at a time when they are in REM sleep - where dreams are longer.

If you're allowing the person to have the long sleep period, they could have longer dreams,' he said.

'You are more likely to remember the dream if you have a longer sleep. If you have a longer sleep, you will have a longer dream.'

Professor Blagrove, who said he had started dreaming about his cat since spending more time at home, said dreams featuring coronavirus, isolation or money would suggest that they are important to the person emotionally.

He said there may be an increase in people dreaming about somebody they have not spoken to or seen in a while 'due to long times spent on social media'.

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭Uthur

if you start keeping a dream diary you will tend to have more vivid and even lucid dreams. it’s the power of suggestion or somesuch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I have a block of Stilton in the fridge, so yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

I woke up this morning caressing my pillow in the way you would a cold pint by the window of a Dublin city centre pub on a Spring evening just as the days begin to draw out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Mehaffey1

Checked in for the lurid dreams...got disappointed.

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭coastwatch

I have this reocurring nightmare, everytime I switch on the TV, it's just Miriam O'Callaghan, on every channel.
    Then I switch off the TV and put on the radio, and there she is again, there's just no escape,... genuinely!

Much of last year I had greatly reduced mobility due to a complication after knee replacement surgery. I nearly went insane with both the pain and being stopped doing all the things I had hoped and wanted to do, being stuck on crutches with a leg that was either agonising or kept giving way. My dreams became unpleasantly vivid for a long time.

I seen to have got the virus, but was in a country away from medical help at the worst of it. When experiencing the great shortness of breath I actually dreamt I was being put in a ventilator and it felt very real.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,282 ✭✭✭AllForIt

I do have vivid dreams from time to time

The last most vivid dream I had was I was having a sexual relationship with a person in the media, a journalist. Really odd, he's not even my type or remotely good looking. Maybe it's his mind I find in some way appealing which is kinda interesting.

I dream often of being back in previous places of employment. That one I have a lot and I usually wake thinking 'phew', thank God that was a dream.

One of the most common vivid dreams I have is that I can fly, and I'm zooming around above buildings but always my flying ability is poor, where suddenly I loose the ability to fly and then regain the ability mid flight and I'm constantly worried about bashing into electrical wires. It's never a pleasant experience.

I did actually have an odd vivid one last week as it happens. I was on my way to the US and to get there I walked north to the ice pole and worked my way down through Canada. On the way I found myself in a canal in a city where the bridge started to move, to let a boat through or something and I was panicking I was in a dangerous position. Then I looked down the canal and there was a tsunami of water heading in my direction like Niagara Falls. I tried to pull myself out but my arm got stuck in the moving parts in the bridge mechanical movements and crushed it. That woke me up.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,014 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Wow, me too. This past week has been crazy.

Dreamt my ex (we share a son together) was cheating on me all along and was a closet gay kissing other men?!

The night before I had a vivid dream about attending the wedding of my very first teenage boyfriend. It was so sharp. All his family were in it exactly as they look.
    I did read on the local newspaper that he married a few weeks ago so that makes sense but both dreams were so vivid and sharp.

Clearly I have ex issues :)

To thine own self be true

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Had sleep paralysis a few times in 2018, not funny, you seem wide awake but can't move,

• Registered Users Posts: 858 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Wish my imagination was that vivid. Mine are plain boring!
    Had sleep paralysis a few times in 2018, not funny, you seem wide awake but can't move,

I’m prone to this unfortunately, but hasn’t happened in years. Worst was when I was in college, first year digs was run by nuns. Had a nap during stressful exams, woke up paralyzed, dream still in action... a spirit pulling me by my leg off the bed...genuinely felt like I was being pulled! needless to say I was freaked out, and the holy water came out....I’m an atheist!

AllForIt wrote: »
    I do have vivid dreams from time to time

The last most vivid dream I had was I was having a sexual relationship with a person in the media, a journalist. Really odd, he's not even my type or remotely good looking. Maybe it's his mind I find in some way appealing which is kinda interesting.

Come on who was it.. Marty Morrissey or Des Cahill ?

I’m prone to this unfortunately, but hasn’t happened in years. Worst was when I was in college, first year digs was run by nuns. Had a nap during stressful exams, woke up paralyzed, dream still in action... a spirit pulling me by my leg off the bed...genuinely felt like I was being pulled! needless to say I was freaked out, and the holy water came out....I’m an atheist!

Not pushed on pillows so couldn't see anything, had the feeling I wasn't alone. Hasn't happened since luckily

I used to suffer from that as well, but after I had it a few times I found I got over it. It's really weird, the first times I felt there was someone in the room, an evil spirit or something, and I was completely frozen. And a strange high pitched buzzing sound.

Consequential because I know what it is I'm able to rationalize even on waking up suddenly 'oh it's this again', and if you don't panic it goes away.

Come on who was it.. Marty Morrissey or Des Cahill ?

I'll tell you via PM if you promise not to tell.

I used to get that sometimes after a heavy few days partying. First night sober, normally a Monday or Tuesday night id get them. Awful terrifying experience.

I'll tell you via PM if you promise not to tell.

OK thanks for the PM, George Hook, my goodness.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,269 ✭✭✭Runaways

That’s mad. I have been having the most weird dreams. But real. To such a degree I’m not sure if it happened yesterday or I’m just remembering s dream.

I just dumped some anxiety meds though cos they were making it all worse.

OK thanks for the PM, George Hook, my goodness.

lol that did make me laugh.

No PM then.

• Advertisement

I used to get that sometimes after a heavy few days partying. First night sober, normally a Monday or Tuesday night id get them. Awful terrifying experience.

Was doing shifts, 2 weeks night's then days, that's what I blamed

• Registered Users Posts: 1,368 ✭✭✭Smart Bug

Your Face wrote: »
    I don't remember my dreams but when I do, I remember them.

So you remember your dreams then?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,967 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Yeah lots of people experience sleep paralysis like this and they use it as evidence for ghosts and spirits and religious stuff. Sounds frightening but the good news is it’s just your body making a mistake.

The paralysis is absolutely necessary when we’re sleep or else we’d act out our dreams in our sleep which would be dangerous to ourselves and others.

Doesn’t take from the fact that it sounds really frightening

• Registered Users Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Immortal Starlight

I had a horrible dream a couple of nights ago. Iv actually had it before so I hope it doesn't become a recurring thing. In the dream I'm standing on the landing of a stairs and iv my hands tied behind my back. There's a couple of other people there who are strangers to me and also my ex who is a really horrible man.
    My ex has shrunk in size to look like a little boy and I'm terrified he'll come near me. I can feel the evil coming off him in waves and try to shout out but all that I can do is make a noise like a foghorn come out of my mouth. The effort of doing this and the loud noise wakes me up. I hate this dream and it makes me feel very unsettled for ages.

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Beanntraigheach

I've been having a recurring dream of late. Very strange.

I find myself walking through a corn-field up to a wooden shack. An old African-American woman sits on a rocking chair on the porch. She calls herself 'Mother Abigail', warns of great danger coming, and tells me I must make my way to a place called Hemingford Home, Nebraska.

I can't make head nor tail of it.

I'm currently plagued by unpleasant lucid dreams during what little sleep I'm getting. They all involve negative medical scenarios so I imagine they're connected to the elevated baseline anxiety of myself and the world in general. Good to know I'm not alone, it's one of the strange new things that connects us in this new world of uncertainty and trepidation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I used to suffer from that as well, but after I had it a few times I found I got over it. It's really weird, the first times I felt there was someone in the room, an evil spirit or something, and I was completely frozen. And a strange high pitched buzzing sound.

Consequential because I know what it is I'm able to rationalize even on waking up suddenly 'oh it's this again', and if you don't panic it goes away.

I went through a period when I was about 18-20 when something like this happened - wake up in a start feeling weirdly intense, able to move ie look around me in the dark (I'd fix on a red radiator switch light) but not wanting/able to do anything else for a minute or two then the moment passed and I shuffled back under the sheets and wondered why it was happening.

:confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

anyone else here taking nytol

been having some wacky vivid dreams after taking that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I'm experiencing the same thing. A few nights ago I dreamt I was at a wedding and James Blunt sat down next to me and said we should get married. It was really vivid and I remember saying but what about the coronavirus and he said it's ok, we can get married in New York... whatever that means. I wish it was true.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭Porklife

I'm experiencing the same thing. A few nights ago I dreamt I was at a wedding and James Blunt sat down next to me and said we should get married. It was really vivid and I remember saying but what about the coronavirus and he said it's ok, we can get married in New York... whatever that means. I wish it was true cos even being married to James Blunt beats my current reality.

Advertisement