Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lottie Ryan

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,275 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

flazio wrote: »
    Well if it's any consolation, it doesn't appear that it's a big bucks job. Clip of Carl Mullen shocking Lottie before she drives away. Now what would you expect a girl like her to drive? An Audi A1? Nope. A Mini Cooper? Not even close. A mid 00s Toyota Yaris.

The richest people I know drive similar cars.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Irish94 wrote: »
    Forgive me, but I can't fathom who is signing off on her contract to do this. The main role of the job would be to scroll down through Instagram/Twitter/Facebook?

2FM's target market are the generation of young people who are never off their phones. They're looking at the same social media feeds as Lottie is. Unless she has access to news that can't be found elsewhere, there is no need for her to regurgitate old news. It's not 1990 any more.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Whereisgalway

She’s awful presenter, will do anything to stay relevant, I’d imagine she’s just outside the magic top ten in Rte

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Loddie Ryoin.....she has a voice for silent movies tbh.

I quite like her voice. Not much use otherwise though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

siblers wrote: »
    I remember one time Rick O'Shea cut her off mid entertainment bulletin basically saying he didn't understand what ****e she was in about was news worthy. Was glorious

How long did Rick last after that before getting banished to rte radio gold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

"RTE 2FM presenter Lottie Ryan forced to defend dance background ahead of Dancing with the Stars." From the mirror (and its daily article about rte employees)

Not suprised shes made it onto this eventually. I have nothing against the girl, she seems affable enough especially compared to the more insufferable presenters but it's just the transparant nepotism that bothers me, that and the gaul they have to serve this nepotism up to us as if it's a non issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,393 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Seems she trained as a dancer in New York for some time and is a qualified dance teacher and choreographer, which puts her at a major advantage over the others. Her comment:

“I’m really looking forward to being out of my comfort zone and doing something that I just have no clue about. It is learning something new."

..smacks of bullshlt.

Seems Mary Kennedy is in it, she should do well on sympathy and likeability votes alone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

KevRossi wrote: »
    Seems she trained as a dancer in New York for some time and is a qualified dance teacher and choreographer, which puts her at a major advantage over the others. Her comment:

“I’m really looking forward to being out of my comfort zone and doing something that I just have no clue about. It is learning something new."

..smacks of bullshlt.

Seems Mary Kennedy is in it, she should do well on sympathy and likeability votes alone.
    Mary Kennedy is 65.

Mary Kennedy is 65.

Yeah, thought she was around that. No idea if the age profile of DWTS viewers, but if they are older Mary will do well. You get the impression she’d be an excellent dancer, very graceful woman.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭Leilak

Lottie Ryan isn't the smartest tool in the box, its well known that she taught young kids Hip Hop classes. I remember her father regularly mentioning her dancing prowess on 2fm, how she thought she would get away with it is quite unbelievable, low IQ!

• Advertisement

Yeah, thought she was around that. No idea if the age profile of DWTS viewers, but if they are older Mary will do well. You get the impression she’d be an excellent dancer, very graceful woman.

Mary is lovely. Hope she does well, she’s got a proper personality and is well liked

Mary is lovely. Hope she does well, she’s got a proper personality and is well liked

Agreed.

At this stage the 'rte canteen' clichè has become a tired clichè itself but at least (and I'm being very liberal here) say Mary Kennedy or Glenda Gilson (remember I'm being generous) have been around a while and have fronted reasonably well known tv shows or been prominent in the (Dublin) media for a decent period of time so all things considered with what's available in Ireland as contestants they arent too bad for that show.

But as I said earlier this is just craven nepotism. When the bar is so so so so low for the 'stars' on this show that this contestant even falls that level it truly is beyond the pale.

And I say this with no malice to her, she seems harmless and not as over the top woke as others.

What’s the deal with her lips?

Out of her comfort zone dancing, something she’s been professional trained as. She’s alway professional trained in media but is out of her depth on the radio. Anyone know what the appearance fee is for DWTS

What’s the deal with her lips?

Out of her comfort zone dancing, something she’s been professional trained as. She’s alway professional trained in media but is out of her depth on the radio. Anyone know what the appearance fee is for DWTS

I dont know the fee, I imagine it would vary per person and wasnt there some point made last year about how it works differently for existing rte presenters who are already contracted?
    I noticed Cliona Hagan mention that she was put up in an appartment in Smithfeild by rte for the duration last year which is a handy little perk.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    I dont know the fee, I imagine it would vary per person and wasnt there some point made last year about how it works differently for existing rte presenters who are already contracted?
    I noticed Cliona Hagan mention that she was put up in an appartment in Smithfeild by rte for the duration last year which is a handy little perk.

It was rumoured she was pulling in 80k With her breakfast republic gig n entertainment updates

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

It was rumoured she was pulling in 80k With her breakfast republic gig n entertainment updates

I think lately she was promoted to Entertainment Director for 2fm or something like that, as in she;s in charge of all entertainment news/snippets that go out on 2fm. Not that, that excuses the over-inflated salary just for being Gerry Ryan's daughter.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,445 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Loughc wrote: »
    I think lately she was promoted to Entertainment Director for 2fm or something like that, as in she;s in charge of all entertainment news/snippets that go out on 2fm. Not that, that excuses the over-inflated salary just for being Gerry Ryan's daughter.

sure don't they get all the entertainment gossip from the internet and the red tops ? I mean director is a bit of a strong title for the person in charge of getting to read the internet and newspapers.

Itssoeasy wrote: »
    sure don't they get all the entertainment gossip from the internet and the red tops ? I mean director is a bit of a strong title for the person in charge of getting to read the internet and newspapers.

Most likely scenario is they were creating a reason to give her more money despite not having demonstrated any skill and not holding down any consistant slot worth talking about.
    I wonder how many meetings are taking place in the bbc trying to come up with some way to poach her and her entertainment updates. (Answer = 0)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,209 ✭✭✭TheDavester

couldnt they get an intern from a media/journalism type course to do that or someone from a local station for about a third what theyre paying her

couldnt they get an intern from a media/journalism type course to do that or someone from a local station for about a third what theyre paying her

Yes they could.

But they aren't. Make of that what you will.

I am sorry that what I find to be the one of the most crevan examples of nepotism and terrible management in rte happens to be one of least bad people but it remains to be said all the same.
    This individual has NEVER demonstrated any broadcasting abilities from entry level on own merits to conversion of undesivered opportunities to actual results. Yet they constantly seem to fail upwards.

I am in no doubt from the vines that a 'dancing with the stars' place is more given to certain people more thru time served and horse trading than merit.

• Advertisement

I think lately she was promoted to Entertainment Director for 2fm or something like that, as in she;s in charge of all entertainment news/snippets that go out on 2fm.

Yep, 'Director' is a very strong title for sifting through OK! Hello! Mirror, Sun, Daily Mail website etc and deciding what of that is important. If it has Kardashian it'll fly, if it's an upcoming band from some unknown part of Ireland it'll be left behind. As said above, an intern can decide what goes in it, but a 'Director' can expect quite a few freebies from the gig, flights to LA, Ibiza etc.

I think it has been mentioned before that U2 or Aslan would get no tracttion on RTE today, but Westlife and Boyzone would be business as usual as they have the 'contacts'.

'Director' is a title that will
    a) Command a higher salary and
    b) give her a first refusal on the next rung on the nepotism ladder in RTE

So, onwards and upwards for Lottie at the expense of the taxpayer, she knows she has no long term chance on the BBC, NBC etc, 98 FM etc so will stay in the nest in RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,400 ✭✭✭its_steve116

Yep, 'Director' is a very strong title for sifting through OK! Hello! Mirror, Sun, Daily Mail website etc and deciding what of that is important. If it has Kardashian it'll fly, if it's an upcoming band from some unknown part of Ireland it'll be left behind. As said above, an intern can decide what goes in it, but a 'Director' can expect quite a few freebies from the gig, flights to LA, Ibiza etc.

I think it has been mentioned before that U2 or Aslan would get no tracttion on RTE today, but Westlife and Boyzone would be business as usual as they have the 'contacts'.

'Director' is a title that will
    a) Command a higher salary and
    b) give her a first refusal on the next rung on the nepotism ladder in RTE

So, onwards and upwards for Lottie at the expense of the taxpayer, she knows she has no long term chance on the BBC, NBC etc, 98 FM etc so will stay in the nest in RTE.

Funnily enough, upcoming Irish bands are of huge interest to me.

• Registered Users Posts: 736 ✭✭✭TCM

Is it the Lottie Ryan whose father died of a drug overdose and who became an RTE dj simply because she is his daughter? Just asking.

TCM wrote: »
    Is it the Lottie Ryan whose father died of a drug overdose and who became an RTE dj simply because she is his daughter? Just asking.

Her father was staff yes. Her rise is meteoric through the organisation so far. In terms of new roles and promotions but to my mind she has only ever acted as filler on air.

Congratulations to Lottie on her recent Dancing with the stars win.

And just to clarify I don't think personally think anybody has a problem with anyone being their fathers daughter, I just think people have a problem with nepotism generally.

Was on Galway bay fm earlier, she’s insufferable and full of her own self importance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

Anyone else think its crazy that Lottie Ryan is getting paid to give entertainment updates from home :eek:

• Let's remember that she did study media in college and did a stint with CBS in the US.

It's not as if she was a carpenter and just parachuted into a radio gig just because her father died.

Whether or not she's any good and/or earning too much is open to discussion but lets be sensible about things.

Anyone else think its crazy that Lottie Ryan is getting paid to give entertainment updates from home :eek:

I think it's crazy alight but when you consider the nepotism behind it it makes more sense.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Let's remember that she did study media in college and did a stint with CBS in the US.

It's not as if she was a carpenter and just parachuted into a radio gig just because her father died.

Whether or not she's any good and/or earning too much is open to discussion but lets be sensible about things.

She inherited her father's super agent and was handed a gig in RTE because of some misguided sense of loyalty to Gerry Ryan. It wasn't down to a media degree and a couple of months behind the scenes experience. It was down to nepotism, to suggest otherwise is laughable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement