Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Telling tenants to get with the programme

Options
  • 21-03-2020 6:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭

Hi, me again (https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=112755809).
    How do I get my two tenants to adhere to cleaning rituals around the house borne out of the coronavirus? I've been busy wiping down all surfaces, door handles etc with disinfectant since the virus hit. I've texted my two tenants to do this as well. But up to now none of them have even so much as picked up a towel. And washing hands seems an alien concept to them although the female tenant says she has hand sanitiser in her room.
    It's even got to the stage where I could very easily give them their notice if they don't cop on to the dangers. Overreaction maybe but I need to lookout for my health etc
    Opinions please?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,597 ✭✭✭tdf7187

I am usually pro-tenant in most cases but if these people are living with you in your actual house that you are also living in, you are fully entitled to insist on your rules (within reason) being complied with.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

I texted my two lodgers to be mindful of washing hands etc especially coming in from work, I have posted up 4 A4 Covid prevention posters and hung in all common areas in high visibility spots. I have Supplied Anti bacterial hand soap to bathroom and toilet. They have seen me with dettol wiping down banisters and handles. I have jammed all common rooms doors open so as to use handles less.
    I have 2 lodgers the chap that works in a restaurant has come in twice now (That I have witnessed I can only assume its a daily thing judging by that) straight from work and went straight to the fridge to grab a beer, bypassing the sink in the understairs hall and grabs remote. I had to remind him to wash his hands. Last night I heard him coming in and again i knew by the squeak of his bedroom door he had bypassed the handwashing and went straight to bedroom due to the timing of front door bang and bedroom door squeak. Other guy same thing hes working from home yet went to a party yesterday came home steaming drunk and went straight into the kitchen starts making a sandwich without washing the hands fridge door mauled kettle handle. I looked this morning at the bottles of hand wash the one in their bathroom still has the pump handle screwed down so has not be even opened the understairs toilet one looks virtually unused! Despite no other soap in room apart from shampoo in the shower. I give up , as far as im concerned I will just assume they have brought the virus in and ill have to be mindful of where I touch and what I do in the house as they simply cant be trusted they dont really care im double their age they are youngfellas they cant be bothered and I cant start following them around with a soap bottle like their mother! Sucks but these are the things that happen in a house share environment.
    I have found over the years if you ask/advise people on certain things they will do the complete opposite. Maybe its a "you dont tell me what to do" attitude or something I dunno. Odd,

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

It doesn't sound (read) like they're actuslly tenants and will not have the rights of a tenant. Maybe remind them if this fact and tell them to stop putting you and others at risk.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Simple, follow the rules or get out...
    Not sure why you would pussy foot around them

I would remind them as it’s a medical risk and they are been negligent then no 30 days and straight out door

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭hobie21

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Simple, follow the rules or get out...
    Not sure why you would pussy foot around them

I would remind them as it’s a medical risk and they are been negligent then no 30 days and straight out door

Looks like ye are welcoming vovid in with open arms. Roll out the plague carpet. If it was me i'd put my health first, and explain to them that they need to leave so you get to live.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,648 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Point them to the exit.

hobie21 wrote: »
    Looks like ye are welcoming vovid in with open arms. Roll out the plague carpet. If it was me i'd put my health first, and explain to them that they need to leave so you get to live.

??? Did you mean to quote me

• Registered Users Posts: 10,684 ✭✭✭✭Samuel T. Cogley

Stuff missing? I'd have got rid at that point.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,238 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

They have pretty much no tenants rights as licensees. Any anti social behavior in your home is grounds for eviction. If they’re ignoring the social distancing advice and going to house parties then I’d tell them they have to go.

This might scare the others into copping themselves on a bit and washing their hands

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Irish_peppa

Akrasia wrote: »
    They have pretty much no tenants rights as licensees. Any anti social behavior in your home is grounds for eviction. If they’re ignoring the social distancing advice and going to house parties then I’d tell them they have to go.

This might scare the others into copping themselves on a bit and washing their hands

sorry my mistake he came back drunk after being out for the night. He could of been with 1 person. No idea if they were practicing social distancing to an extent. I shouldnt have said Party as I dont know:cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,163 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

sorry my mistake he came back drunk after being out for the night. He could of been with 1 person. No idea if they were practicing social distancing to an extent. I shouldnt have said Party as I dont know:cool:

I wouldn't be giving him the benefit of the doubt. He sounds like a sloppy filthy pig. That's when a sober, I can hardly imagine he gets much better when he's drunk.

I wouldn't be giving him the benefit of the doubt. He sounds like a sloppy filthy pig. That's when a sober, I can hardly imagine he gets much better when he's drunk.

Your making assumptions

Put up a sign with details of the cleaning. I would put some nicely worded warning at the bottom that uncompliance with the new regulations will have to be reviewed with landlord/landlady. Potential immediate removal from property if not adhered to

Send them a text with picture of the sign

Any f**king around then out the door. Plenty of warning.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭db

I texted my two lodgers to be mindful of washing hands etc especially coming in from work, I have posted up 4 A4 Covid prevention posters and hung in all common areas in high visibility spots. I have Supplied Anti bacterial hand soap to bathroom and toilet. They have seen me with dettol wiping down banisters and handles. I have jammed all common rooms doors open so as to use handles less.
    I have 2 lodgers the chap that works in a restaurant has come in twice now (That I have witnessed I can only assume its a daily thing judging by that) straight from work and went straight to the fridge to grab a beer, bypassing the sink in the understairs hall and grabs remote. I had to remind him to wash his hands. Last night I heard him coming in and again i knew by the squeak of his bedroom door he had bypassed the handwashing and went straight to bedroom due to the timing of front door bang and bedroom door squeak. Other guy same thing hes working from home yet went to a party yesterday came home steaming drunk and went straight into the kitchen starts making a sandwich without washing the hands fridge door mauled kettle handle. I looked this morning at the bottles of hand wash the one in their bathroom still has the pump handle screwed down so has not be even opened the understairs toilet one looks virtually unused! Despite no other soap in room apart from shampoo in the shower. I give up , as far as im concerned I will just assume they have brought the virus in and ill have to be mindful of where I touch and what I do in the house as they simply cant be trusted they dont really care im double their age they are youngfellas they cant be bothered and I cant start following them around with a soap bottle like their mother! Sucks but these are the things that happen in a house share environment.
    I have found over the years if you ask/advise people on certain things they will do the complete opposite. Maybe its a "you dont tell me what to do" attitude or something I dunno. Odd,

Out the door, today.

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Your making assumptions

Put up a sign with details of the cleaning. I would put some nicely worded warning at the bottom that uncompliance with the new regulations will have to be reviewed with landlord/landlady. Potential immediate removal from property if not adhered to

Send them a text with picture of the sign

Any f**king around then out the door. Plenty of warning.

I wouldn't be bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,417 ✭✭✭Diemos

I have Supplied Anti bacterial hand soap to bathroom and toilet.

But its a virus....not a bacteria.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,019 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

OP I'm not sure you're cut out to have lodgers (not tenants btw). You are not their parent. I understand you're scared of the virus but your lodgers are grown adults.

Based on your two threads I would suggest these two lodgers are not compatible with sharing your home. Either ask them to leave or try to sit down with them and talk about it. Communication by text is not going to go well and those posters could be seen as passive aggressive.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

It's almost virtually impossible to be safe in a house sharing environment at the moment. One my lodgers is moving out tomorrow thank god, she pays no attention to social distancing and staying at home rules. Now waiting for the second lodger to move out soon
    I had no choice other than giving them notice. But apparently there are plenty of BnBs now available for cheap

For some reason the virus emergency hasn't registered with everybody yet, there are still so many out there who can't be bothered. I'm going to lose about 1200 euro per month by not renting anymore but there's my health at stake here

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭conormc1984

What happened with the stuff going missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭fran38

What happened with the stuff going missing.

I posted an update on that particilar thread if you want to read it (two/three pages in i think) I wont repeat it here coz its another subject altogether.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭Steer55

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    It's almost virtually impossible to be safe in a house sharing environment at the moment. p

impossible anytime but that's just me. I can never fathom why a home owner would allow complete strangers into their private living space.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Edgware

Dont care anymore. Got rid of a cnut of a tenant in Nov and sold up. deal closed 3rd March, funds in my account, looking at a good Sterling rate to get it away from this country

Steer55 wrote: »
    impossible anytime but that's just me. I can never fathom why a home owner would allow complete strangers into their private living space.

It’s fairly normal and I done it myself for years

I lived in college and jobs for years in shared accommodation all around Ireland and world. When I bought first house I was going to be living on my own, even for company it was good to have someone living with me and cash was good

Steer55 wrote: »

Rent-a-room is not everyone.
    I made 70K euro in less than 6 years by renting 2 rooms in my house. All tax free
    Would I do it again? not sure but it's good money

• Registered Users Posts: 554 ✭✭✭Kerry25x

Diemos wrote: »
    But its a virus....not a bacteria.

So what? It doesn't matter what kind of soap it is, it will work just fine. Any regular soap will do.

By the way, does anyone know if the eviction ban is going to affect rent-a-room too?
    One of my lodgers is now saying that i can't ask him to leave although my request has nothing to do with his ability to pay, my concerns are related to health, I dont want to take chances living in house sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 18,479 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

It’s simple.

They follow your rules or they get out ASAP !

Take no rubbish in this. If they can’t be clean at home you can be damn sure they’re not taking adequate precautions when out and are so an increased risk to you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

By the way, does anyone know if the eviction ban is going to affect rent-a-room too?
    One of my lodgers is now saying that i can't ask him to leave although my request has nothing to do with his ability to pay, my concerns are related to health, I dont want to take chances living in house sharing

I haven't seen the bill yet and I don't know if it's public. The legislation is expected to be passed this week and does not apply until then.

Remove the lodgers now while you can, especially if you are in a high risk group. You don't want to be spluttering away in a long queue for a ventilator wishing that you'd just enforced your right to a safe home. You gave them both a chance to do the right thing and they threw it back in your face. I can't imagine they'd be easy to share the house with in a lockdown either.

They'll find somewhere else easily as all of the vacant Airbnbs are hitting the rental market at the moment.

The eviction ban is being done through an amendment to the Residential Tenancies Act. Since, Rent a Room does not come under that Act, it will not be affected by the ban on the evictions. In any event the removal of a larger is not an eviction since a larger does not have any estate in the property.

• Advertisement

I called Citizen Information a few minutes ago. Apparently rent a room doesn't come under the Act however the purpose of the Act is to protect tenants from evictions so it's not clear whether I can or can't. My understanding of the Act is that tenants should be protected in case they lose the ability to pay rent, but my concerns are related to health, not to money. How can the law force someone to share their personal space with a stranger against their will?

Advertisement