Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Teachers to be paid full pay whilst schools closed - Rest of us €305 pw

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I have been testing this site today https://quarantineclassroom.com/ its really simple to setup so no real excuses not to run classes virtually. The resources are out there to support kids using technology.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭combat14

tested eztalks meetings the weekend looks very good and is free for 40 minute meetings which can be recorded also for those unable to watch live stream

https://www.eztalks.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 840 ✭✭✭teachinggal123

Ok simple question:

How many teachers here would be willing to make up time missed during the summer?

(I’m asking this as I’m a teacher and I would be willing to work June+July if needed).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,453 ✭✭✭History Queen

Ok simple question:

How many teachers here would be willing to make up time missed during the summer?

(I’m asking this as I’m a teacher and I would be willing to work June+July if needed).

I'm willing but not for any day I have worked from home. I'm not doing both. I wonder how this would work with state exams? Teachers supervise and correct them. You can't do that if you're making up time in the classroom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 838 ✭✭✭The_Brood

Treppen wrote: »
    I think everyone should be paid. If a tonne of people stop working there's less tax coming in too. It's better to keep things ticking over.

What I do object to is millionaires saving money and taking it out of the economy, stuffing it in some offshore account abroad or somesuch.

Even people on the dole spend all their money in the local economy. I'll happily give them my tax money to squander because as bad as it it, it comes right back. (Unless it's to paddy power or some other foreign gambling site).

I fully support then the government to make rich corporations, plenty of them here in Ireland, to pay for this. Why should the working poor such as myself and the middle class have to take on this burden?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

Ok simple question:

100% would be willing.

I can assure you most teachers would love to be back teaching tomorrow.

Unfortunately in current situation we can't.

Teachers where possible will try their best but, particularly for pupils from disadvantaged backgrounds, online learning is not hugely feasible for a number of reasons.

Work in the summer if we can't get back before June, definitely.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,094 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Ok simple question:

Surely the unions would knock that on the head?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

trapp wrote: »
    online learning is not hugely feasible for a number of reasons.

What are these out of interest?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 510 ✭✭✭trapp

krissovo wrote: »
    What are these out of interest?

Access to technology needed

Motivation, lack of family interest in education, stressful and difficult situations at home where jobs are lost or there may be addiction issues.

Some pupils will be fine but for many of those from disadvantaged areas and backgrounds the quality of any learning taking place online would be hugely reduced.

Many would not engage as it can be difficult to get them to engage in person.

We can try and will but teaching children is really not an online activity.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭CruelSummer

I think this thread should be closed, why is someone allowed to start a thread to attack teachers during this crisis? It’s just ridiculous & has been put up with in this country for far too long. Probably some of the same disrespectful and ignorant parents who actually ruin their children’s outlook on life starting this thread. Maybe we should start a thread attacking some other professions who are also getting paid to ‘work from home’ also?
    This isn’t teacher’s fault, many of them are trying to remotely teach during this stressful time while also caring for their own children & families. Many families will be relying on what a teacher brings in money wise during this crisis if their spouses lose their jobs. And not to mention quite a lot of them could get sick with Covid-19 after being in crowded classrooms for the last month with possible carriers.
    Look at voice for teachers on Facebook, they’ve a huge amount of young teachers volunteering to help in any way possible during this crisis, they’re a credit to the profession. What has the creator of this thread volunteered to do to help in this time of crisis? Perhaps they should sign up to teach in the near future and come back here to report on it - subject to all of us being able to ‘bash’ and criticise from our armchairs/couches of course.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,744 ✭✭✭marieholmfan

The_Brood wrote: »
    I fully support then the government to make rich corporations, plenty of them here in Ireland, to pay for this. Why should the working poor such as myself and the middle class have to take on this burden?

At the next election remember who put you on the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭Alex86Eire

acequion wrote: »
    That sounds brilliant. That's the sort of stuff I want to try out. Are Loom and Zoom the same feature?

They work similarly but are separate applications. With both you can either use your camera to video you teaching or just use audio and have a ppt or word doc etc on screen. With Loom you narrate over a ppt etc and save the video. You can edit it to cut out any bits you don't want. You then upload it to GC.
    With Zoom its like a meeting. You invite the kids to your meeting at a certain time and its teaching live basically. They have a chat function so they can ask you questions while you teach. I'm very new to both but I hope that made sense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Trampas wrote: »
    How’s everyone getting on with home teaching their kids. I’m sure it’s a piece of cake and everyone will be signing up for college course

Why would you need a college degree to help your own children learn?? :confused:

World of difference between being in charge of 20+ of whatever age from a variety of families and your own children. Chalk & cheese.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Why would you need a college degree to help your own children learn?? :confused:

World of difference between being in charge of 20+ of whatever age from a variety of families and your own children. Chalk & cheese.

You don't but there's ways of teaching to promote faster learning, none of which most of the people, myself included, know.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

chrislad wrote: »
    You don't but there's ways of teaching to promote faster learning, none of which most of the people, myself included, know.

Most people whether children or adults, learn at their own rate according to how interested they are in exploring a subject at any given stage of their lives. That's the main driving factor - you can lead a horse to water but not make it drink etc..

Teachers are great in an 'education system' and as role models etc etc. but that's not the be and end all for an individual acquiring knowledge.

Ok simple question:

I am currently remote teaching from home at the moment. Answering questions from students with assignments via email all over the Bank Holiday weekend.

Will be looking at using forums on Moodle, screencasts, virtual classrooms etc. starting next week to help students complete continuous assessments and prepare for exams which may or may not take place.

I don't mind working back the time lost due to the current situation but teachers can't be expected to remote work at home as well if that is going to be the case.

It's all very much up in the air at the moment - will have to see what happens!

The main thing is that everyone is safe.

Teachers do an essential job. They deserve to be paid in times of crisis.

And no, I'm not a teacher, I restore and upcycle furniture. It's a lot more fulfilling than my previous high powered IT job.

Are you supporting a family with your new career?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,236 ✭✭✭Sammy2012

I fully expect to be asked to work during the summer. Why wouldn't we be? It's a national emergency. This has never happened before and hopefully we will never see it again in our lifetime.

The economy is also going to take a huge battering. Why wouldn't we do our bit to help?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭Treppen

Are you supporting a family with your new career?

What's your point?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

I'm volunteering

Don't know what I'll be doing, but I'm willing to give my time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,707 ✭✭✭larchielads

Any chance we could get that 8billion off apple now?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ok, so the thread was started to whinge about teachers getting full pay while not working and comparing it to the €305 pw which other people will get. Now it's been established that teachers are working from home.

So, does that change the minds of those who were giving out about teachers full pay for working from home vs €305 pw for not working?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Sammy2012 wrote: »
    I fully expect to be asked to work during the summer. Why wouldn't we be? It's a national emergency. This has never happened before and hopefully we will never see it again in our lifetime.

The economy is also going to take a huge battering. Why wouldn't we do our bit to help?

I’m genuinely working more hours than when I’m in school. I had 7 different assignments coming in from six different classes yesterday. That’s not counting the actual questions that many students asked as they did it, or the additional work that is coming in from my exam students. if we are coming in over the summer then I’m stopping because I’m already unsure this is sustainable as I’m exhausted minding two kids and fielding queries/planning/recording lessons/chasing work and correcting

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

I’m genuinely working more hours than when I’m in school. I had 7 different assignments coming in from six different classes yesterday. That’s not counting the actual questions that many students asked as they did it, or the additional work that is coming in from my exam students. if we are coming in over the summer then I’m stopping because I’m already unsure this is sustainable as I’m exhausted minding two kids and fielding queries/planning/recording lessons/chasing work and correcting

Teachers should either working these two weeks or two weeks extra in the summer. A call needs to be made.

All Eyes On Rafah

Teachers should either working these two weeks or two weeks extra in the summer. A call needs to be made.

Exactly, management in our school effectively asked us to work remotely during all of this and stay in constant communication with students regarding exams and assignments.

We were also told the school building is fully open and that we can come in and work there and even meet with students who need additional help one to one. Though not sure how practical that is at present.

Given all of that it is hard to see teachers who are genuinely working remotely over the next period volunteerig to work extra weeks/months over the summer.
    That's if schools even open up again before September.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭partyguinness

It's pretty clear when the apocolypse arrives teachers will be the first up for sacrifice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,825 ✭✭✭mulbot

Ok, so the thread was started to whinge about teachers getting full pay while not working and comparing it to the €305 pw which other people will get. Now it's been established that teachers are working from home.

So, does that change the minds of those who were giving out about teachers full pay for working from home vs €305 pw for not working?

If the hours are genuinely being put in, then fair play and they should get paid. However, I spent last Friday and yesterday with 2 teachers who are friends of mine, (from the same school,) cutting and clearing trees from land one of them owns. We will be back at it tomorrow again....

• Registered Users Posts: 20,095 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

mulbot wrote: »
    If the hours are genuinely being put in, then fair play and they should get paid. However, I spent last Friday and yesterday with 2 teachers who are friends of mine, (from the same school,) cutting and clearing trees from land one of them owns. We will be back at it tomorrow again....

I don't know how anyone who's working from home is making up their hours. Maybe people are working their normal hours. Maybe they'll be working odd hours in the evenings. Maybe they're not working their full quota.

I just had a half hour coffee break with my work mates over Skype and we've another one scheduled for this afternoon. Teachers get loads of scrutiny that people wouldn't bother to apply to other jobs.

It's genuinely interesting to see people presume to know so much about another person's job and to see the sh1t people give teachers

• Registered Users Posts: 12,302 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

It's pretty clear when the apocolypse arrives teachers will be the first up for sacrifice.

Better to go out in the blast than roam the wasteland!

All Eyes On Rafah

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭Abel Ruiz

Have you changed your mind about covid19 being nonsense and a celebrity virus????

How about stop being being a dick and admit you're wrong!!!!!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement