Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Business as usual so, other operators are ceasing rather than run at a loss more so than any concern for employees or the public I think so fair play Aircoach for taking a huge hit and providing a full service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

devnull wrote: »
    According to a statement from Dublin Express, they are still running.

I think they are running one service per hour and using the long term employee's as the drivers or the drivers from GoBus.
    Not sure whether to feel bitter or glad I dodged a bullet!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wonder if Dublin Airport are requiring DX and others to continue to operate or loss their stops spaces.

That was an issue for airlines, they were flying empty aircraft because otherwise they would loss their landing slots at airports (which can be worth billions in the likes of Heathrow airport). The EU regulators have now suspended such rules for airlines, so they don't need to fly if empty.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

soundman45 wrote: »
    Business as usual so, other operators are ceasing rather than run at a loss more so than any concern for employees or the public I think so fair play Aircoach for taking a huge hit and providing a full service.

It is a horribly difficult situation either way.

Obviously great for drivers kept on, but if they are running empty coaches, they could quickly run through their cash reserves and go bankrupt and out of business in the long term.

For the companies that have stopped services, terrible for the drivers laid off, but the companies might be in a better position to bounce back once it is over and employ those drivers in the long term.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,610 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Airport Hopper ceasing on Friday according to social media posts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

L1011 wrote: »
    Airport Hopper ceasing on Friday according to social media posts.

There are conflicting messages on their home page. In a panel with a red banner titled 'No Service', they say ....

Aiport Hopper will stop all services starting Friday 20th March until further notice....

But at the bottom of the page there a banner which declares....

Due to COVID 19 we are suspending all the services from 19th March until 29th of March

https://airporthopper.ie/

Hopper is ceasing like everything indefinitely

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭GT89

I would imagine Aircoach will quickly follow suit.

I'd also expect to see routes in general, including the 16/41 to switch to a Saturday timetable during the week or perhaps a skeleton service at the same time.

Remember though that the 16 and 41 serve areas other than the Airport like Swords, Santry and Beaumont. Whilst the Airlink, Dublin Express and Aircoach are only there to serve the airport. These routes would be only cut as part of a wider reduction in services throughout the network.

GT89 wrote: »
    Remember though that the 16 and 41 serve areas other than the Airport like Swords, Santry and Beaumont. Whilst the Airlink, Dublin Express and Aircoach are only there to serve the airport. These routes would be only cut as part of a wider reduction in services throughout the network.

Yes, lots of medical staff living in Swords, etc. who need to get to Beaumont, Mater, Rotunda,Temple Street Hospitals. Actually probably some of the most vital routes in this regard, lots of the most important hospitals on these routes.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

GT89 wrote: »

I know but I would be surprised if there wasn't a directive to cut services on the PSO Network as well soon - I believe that this is an option that is on the table right now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Airport Hopper have clarified to me that they are ceasing from tomorrow (Fri 20th). The contradictory banner has been removed from their homepage.

All tickets purchased will be extended and valid for travelling in the future months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭Better Than Christ

I know but I would be surprised if there wasn't a directive to cut services on the PSO Network as well soon - I believe that this is an option that is on the table right now.

It'll happen very soon. It's likely to be a Saturday service with a small number of extra services on routes where there is otherwise a late Saturday start.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

There are daily meetings of the Government's Covid task force,which includes both the NTA and the major providers.

Currently,and until the expert advice recommends otherwise,the normal service level is being maintained,with much focus on that level allowing for the social-seperation recommendations to be maintained.

My own experience is that most people are doing their best to maintain that distance,without prompting or otherwise.

As an observation,I would suggest that the numbers of people now resident in care/nursing homes is at it's highest ever.

A very large component of Care Home staff are non-national,living in rented accomodation and more importantly,non car owning,and i would suggest desperately in need of reassurance about their transport links.

This reassurance is an integral part of any strategy focused on dealing with this emergency.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Aircoach services update, Route 700 Leopardstown now at 30 mins intervals. 702 Greystones suspended, 703 Killiney suspended, Belfast and Cork operate as per timetable for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

ax586 wrote: »
    Dublin buses Airlink is finishing up on Thursday night was confirmed today.

Guys I take this back airlink is still running..

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

Dublin Express now suspended

Dublin Express - All Services suspended
    Unfortunately we have had to temporarily suspend our services between Dublin Airport and Dublin City. We apologise for any inconvenience this may cause.

If you are not due to travel in the next 72 hours you can cancel and refund your ticket via our online cancellation portal.

If you are due to travel with us in the next 72 hours, to cancel and refund your ticket please call our Customer Service team on +353 1 903 9508. Our lines are open 08.00 – 22.00, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at local rate.

We know this is a worrying time for everyone. We will continue to take guidance from the Government to ensure we do everything we sensibly can to keep people safe. We are monitoring the situation very closely and will resume services as soon as we can.

Aircoach 704x Cork and 705x Belfast suspended from last services Monday night

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭Thrashssacre

soundman45 wrote: »
    Aircoach 704x Cork and 705x Belfast suspended from last services Monday night

So that just leaves lepardstown? Suprised that hadent been pulled by now.

So how will the current situation affect National Express and Aircoach etc. Disaster for both, bad start for NX and if Aircoach is up for sale disaster for them maybe?

Aircoach is for sale? Any links to that?

• Advertisement

Its been widely reported since middle of last year that Aircoach is for sale

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

koutoubia wrote: »
    Aircoach is for sale? Any links to that?

It's kinda old-news now,but covered in a Family-Silver sell off plan floated last year...

https://www.belfasttelegraph.co.uk/business/uk-world/firstgroup-starts-formal-sales-process-for-us-business-but-pauses-uk-bus-sale-38788218.html

The headline article majors on the U.S. based subsidiaries,but fleetingly refers to the "rest" of the stash...
    Bosses also said previously that they would look at selling the First Bus business in the UK, alongside existing plans to offload the Greyhound coach business.

It's all to play for anyway these days when you see the great Warren Buffet baling out of Airlines...... :)

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52518186
    "We will not fund a company that... where we think that it is going to chew up money in the future."

Collect your hat on the way out.......:(

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Att vara en hest

wouldn't surprise me if Flixbus sweeps in to buy aircoach, seems like they're buying all European bus companies

Id say even Aircoach might only resume services on a scaled back basis and its also going to hit their value if any sale goes ahead.

Mr.S wrote: »

Likely to not return?

Not what we* were told!
    There is regular chat on the drivers whats app.
    National Express invested lot in this service. Cant see that being binned especially when they have the prime slots at the arrivals!

* we being the drivers.

Aircoach route 700 is back on although on a very much reduced service operating between the Airport and UCD as is the routes 704 Cork and 705 Belfast, any word on National Express starting back?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

JJ Kavanagh & Sons also back up and running by the looks of it - not sure which routes though but looks like the Naas - Dublin Airport one is running

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭ExoPolitic

p_haugh wrote: »
    JJ Kavanagh & Sons also back up and running by the looks of it - not sure which routes though but looks like the Naas - Dublin Airport one is running

I saw the Dublin - Waterford one with destination blinds up in Waterford... I asked yesterday but they didn't reply. Guess its a soft launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

ExoPolitic wrote: »
    I saw the Dublin - Waterford one with destination blinds up in Waterford... I asked yesterday but they didn't reply. Guess its a soft launch.

Nothing on their Facebook/twitter/website so seems like it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Website says full schedule resumed 1 Sep on all main routes.

Advertisement