Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,292 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

fritzelly wrote: »
    She has a runny nose - one of the least common indicators of coronavirus (4%)

Cripes... so she's being a drama queen. Wonderful.

So bloody hard to avoid 'fake news' when even the supposed people in charge are putting out fake news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

McGaggs wrote: »
    After following this, and other, threads for a good few months, I've come to the conclusion that there is merit in having public service broadcasting, and that there are some things that rte does well (if not always cost effectively). It seems to me that it should be decided what should be public service broadcasting, and that should be ring fenced. The PSB should be consolidated into one channel (assume rte 1 and radio 1) which is funded by the licence fee and some advertising. All the commercial stuff can be put out on the other stations and be allowed to sink or swim with no licence fee funding.

Why keep RTE2, and all of the other radio channels?

Why not sell them, invest the money raised from the sale, into the long term future of the smaller remaining RTE network and TG4? That done, reduce the licence fee appropriately.

Thanks,

G.

I think it's even getting to a stage where they are finding it harder and harder to justify TG4.

It consists of repeats of Little House on the Prairie, Murder She Wrote, or TV shows TG4 produced 20 years ago (or RTE produced even farther back than that).

If RTE 2 is playing second fiddle to the Rte player, I can't imagine how far down the totem pole TG4 is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If anything RTÉ viewing numbers will be up. People are watching the news and pure boredom has set in so people will watch anything.

The soccer thing about Jack charlton was good and probably blew all expectations

It does confirm having a national broadcaster is required. Sticking it behind a subscription model will never work either. Imagine people not getting government updates? Watching UK tv for updates? Some plonker on yesterday saying Ireland had no version of nhs. It would be a mess

So we need RTÉ, we need it on the current license model. We just need a decent RTÉ, not one with useless plonkers like Lottie Ryan that very few in the country will watch but by God RTÉ are going to shove her on the tv as much as possible

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

garrettod wrote: »

Why not sell them, invest the money raised from the sale, into the long term future of the smaller remaining RTE network and TG4? That done, reduce the licence fee appropriately.

I was expecting the commercial reality to close the other channels TBH. I can't see any of that reducing the licence fee. I can't imagine they'd get much by selling the other channels/stations, and even if they did, the cash would be temporary and wouldn't allow a permanent reduction of the licence fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

RTE Jnr is a so handy

Sell RTE 2, get 10 million or whatever and they would have burned through it in a few months and nothing to show for it

Fix the whole thing and then see about investing in it, at the moment its just a big black hole in regards to money, money goes in and very little good comes out.....

• Registered Users Posts: 5,710 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

RTE Jnr is a so handy

Could be argued that this is public service broadcasting. No ads, and Irish output.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

fritzelly wrote: »
    She has a runny nose - one of the least common indicators of coronavirus (4%)
    A prime example of RTE's hypocrisy.
    They preach from their gilded platform (paid for by us) on how we need to do more. It was only a day or two ago that one of their well paid mouthpieces was chastising us for not taking in economic migrants from the Turkish/Greek border ................. during a historical pandemic. We need to realise that there are people alive in Ireland now who are related to us or are people that we know who will die from this virus.

Many just do not trust RTE anymore when you hear them propagating their liberal agenda.
    RTE should be stripped down to a core function of being a national IMPARTIAL broadcaster. All other functions, which are extremely expensive to fund, should be abolished.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

when you have a few hundred thousand that will lose there jobs over the course of 2-3 weeks, how do you justify the likes of the RTE farce? there needs to be more pay cuts, in solidarity with the many, who have taken a 100% pay cut!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,027 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

all of the radio channels bar 2fm provide ps only content, and there wouldn't be anything to actually sell really bar perhapse the transmission networks, but even then there wouldn't be anything new offered that isn't already offered by existing local/regional and the 2 private national radio stations, so they may not get very much for them, and even then it would make more sense to rent them out then completely sell them off for short termism.
    either way, there wouldn't be enough to allow for a license reduction in all likely hood i would expect.
    Kivaro wrote: »
    A prime example of RTE's hypocrisy.
    They preach from their gilded platform (paid for by us) on how we need to do more. It was only a day or two ago that one of their well paid mouthpieces was chastising us for not taking in economic migrants from the Turkish/Greek border ................. during a historical pandemic. We need to realise that there are people alive in Ireland now who are related to us or are people that we know who will die from this virus.

Many just do not trust RTE anymore when you hear them propagating their liberal agenda.
    RTE should be stripped down to a core function of being a national IMPARTIAL broadcaster. All other functions, which are extremely expensive to fund, should be abolished.

it is already an impartial broadcaster.
    there is no liberal agenda, but a reality agenda, if you want a broadcaster that just propagates your views then go to youtube, rte is never going to be a broadcaster befitting of your views only.
    if people don't trust rte that is their issue, anyone sensible should be using multiple sources for their news anyway, regardless of how impartial a broadcaster is .
    abolishing the ntertainment fluff makes sense, anything else, children's programming, any sport coverage it has which should be increased, should stay.
    it's actually the real expensive stuff that rte needs to cover.
    Idbatterim wrote: »
    when you have a few hundred thousand that will lose there jobs over the course of 2-3 weeks, how do you justify the likes of the RTE farce? there needs to be more pay cuts, in solidarity with the many, who have taken a 100% pay cut!

you very easily justify it, if rte went tomorrow those who may lose or who even have lost their jobs wouldn't get any more money from the government that they may get, if any.
    it's not the job of rte or any other staff to take pay cuts in solidarity with anyone.
    people continuing to do their jobs throughout this time period remain entitled to be paid for their work.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭bigroad

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I think the TV licence fee will be the last thing people are going to pay now.
    So we will have to see what might come.
    Dee will have to cull some .

bigroad wrote: »

Can't imagine TV License Inspectors calling to our doors now.
    I could invite him in and offer some of my Lemsip.

it's not the job of rte or any other staff to take pay cuts in solidarity with anyone.
    That's the community spirit EOTR, that's the spirit.
    We will definitely overcome adversity and the challenging times ahead with that mindset.

(Wonder how many ventilators the State could purchase with the salaries of Ryan Tubridy and Joe Duffy?
    Wonder how many lives could be saved by those two salaries alone?).
    Astounding.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

all of the radio channels bar 2fm provide ps only content, and there wouldn't be anything to actually sell really bar perhapse the transmission networks, but even then there wouldn't be anything new offered that isn't already offered by existing local/regional and the 2 private national radio stations, so they may not get very much for them, and even then it would make more sense to rent them out then completely sell them off for short termism.
    either way, there wouldn't be enough to allow for a license reduction in all likely hood i would expect.

it is already an impartial broadcaster.
    there is no liberal agenda, but a reality agenda, if you want a broadcaster that just propagates your views then go to youtube, rte is never going to be a broadcaster befitting of your views only.
    if people don't trust rte that is their issue, anyone sensible should be using multiple sources for their news anyway, regardless of how impartial a broadcaster is .
    abolishing the ntertainment fluff makes sense, anything else, children's programming, any sport coverage it has which should be increased, should stay.
    it's actually the real expensive stuff that rte needs to cover.

you very easily justify it, if rte went tomorrow those who may lose or who even have lost their jobs wouldn't get any more money from the government that they may get, if any.
    people continuing to do their jobs throughout this time period remain entitled to be paid for their work.

Well Lottie Ryan just got a raise, or more accurately an increase in her fees......

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

Reeling in the years on St Patricks day.

Is that really the best they can do?

Well Lottie Ryan just got a raise, or more accurately an increase in her fees......

Where you see that?

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Where you see that?

She is going to be on every RTE TV and Radio Show imaginable for the next while as they attempt to push her onto us/milk her “win” at the weekend. Her fees will go up as she now has increased her profile etc and the frequency will increase exponentially.

This is how TV and Radio work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭jelutong

I caught (as in Coronavirus so to speak) a bit of yesterday’s Ray Darcys programme presented by Brenda Donohoe. No words of mine could begin to describe how bad it was.
    Lotie and Jerry were mentioned. Nauseating stuff.
    When Sean o Rourke and Ronan Collins retire Rte 1 will be a wasteland from 9 am to 4.30.pm,apart from The News at one.

She is going to be on every RTE TV and Radio Show imaginable for the next while as they attempt to push her onto us/milk her “win” at the weekend. Her fees will go up as she now has increased her profile etc and the frequency will increase exponentially.

I know that’s how it works, I don’t watch or read any of that s**t so no idea about that

Problem i see is that she is not popular, so stick her on whatever they want and nobody will watch her

She has been on 2fm how long now and still can’t hold down a show, trying to sound like a teenager while been closer to 40 doesn’t really work.

She should be and all of them should be based on what advertisement revenue they can pull in...I think poor old Lottie would be better on the dole in that case

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭elperello

sligojoek wrote: »

I know what you mean.

I'm usually the first to reach for the remote control when yet another re-run of RITY comes on.

But this evening with the virus crisis and all it seemed somehow comforting.

The lads in suits singing, the girls in hot pants. It harked back to an age of innocence.

I know I need help...:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,530 ✭✭✭PieOhMy

Already began with a puff piece in the rte guide the week before the intended semi final and public voting on dancing with the stars.

sligojoek wrote: »

Which decade/ year? Went outside for some fresh air (been inddors most of the last few days, and I'm in a rural area) so needed to build up my immune system.

But yeah... most of everything was cancelled, so expect TV to get worse.
    bigroad wrote: »

Oh you'd be surprised- if RTE can drain blood from a stone, they'll go after their TV licence fee.
    They'll happily scare the living s**t out of people and then come after the little guy

As for the culling... it'll be all the people behind the scenes. Folks in front of the camera won't be cut. Cos sadly... they're seen as the 'talent'.

PieOhMy wrote: »
    Already began with a puff piece in the rte guide the week before the intended semi final and public voting on dancing with the stars.

Just a coincidence of course......:rolleyes:

I knew the fix was in when Jennifer Zamparelli said "up next, Lottie the hottie". I'll get banned if I elaborate.

Kivaro wrote: »
    Can't imagine TV License Inspectors calling to our doors now.
    I could invite him in and offer some of my Lemsip.

Im actually praying a TV licence inspector calls. He'll get an earful and I'll let off some steam built up from 6 days stuck at home.

Just a coincidence of course......:rolleyes:

I knew the fix was in when Jennifer Zamparelli said "up next, Lottie the hottie". I'll get banned if I elaborate.

It's grand-we can all see she looks just like her dad.

For Gerry, that would be a wonderful weight off his shoulders... wouldn't have to worry about her dating anyone, for one thing. :p

I imagine RTE will probably put her onto some shows they can dump on the RTE player. (As they've done quite a bit).

Either that, or her and her husband will do the 'expecting a child, write ALL the articles about me, now' thing. Maybe wrangle a show out of that.
    Remember when the 'biggest' star (in quotes, because nobody became a star, really) of The Voice of Ireland was the pregnant traveller?
    She managed to get a TV show out of that. She was already married, it was just following 'her life' and becoming a new mother.

Because nobody in history has ever had a child... nope, never.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

As for the culling... it'll be all the people behind the scenes. Folks in front of the camera won't be cut. Cos sadly... they're seen as the 'talent'.

Like the poor lads moving furniture around sets for 100 grand a year? My heart bleeds

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭kravmaga

My Tv licence of €160 is due for renewal at the end of March.

After a high level meeting this afternoon between the Dept of Finance and the CEO of all Banks based in Ireland, looks like mortgage holders can avail of a 3 month break which I will apply for also.

I have no intention of paying the TV licence this year, they can go and fook themselves, if they send out the inspector lad, I wont be opening my front door.

The courts are going to be locked down also, so little chance of being brought to court for non payment either.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,623 ✭✭✭✭elperello

kravmaga wrote: »
    My Tv licence of €160 is due for renewal at the end of March.

After a high level meeting this afternoon between the Dept of Finance and the CEO of all Banks based in Ireland, looks like mortgage holders can avail of a 3 month break which I will apply for also.

I have no intention of paying the TV licence this year, they can go and fook themselves, if they send out the inspector lad, I wont be opening my front door.

The courts are going to be locked down also, so little chance of being brought to court for non payment either.

Where did you hear about that meeting?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,390 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

I heard today that the BBC has suspended filming for Eastenders, Doctors, Holby City & Casualty due to Covid-19.

I have no clue what RTÉ One will do in that case when Eastenders is only showing 2 episodes a week with their broadcasts on BBC One.

The schedule for Doctors before Telly Bingo & the One O'Clock News are probably OK because they are usually old repeats.

Re: Neighbours being shown on RTÉ2

Production on the show has been halted for a week with immediate effect.

A worker has contracted the Coronavirus after coming into contact with someone who had it.
    Meanwhile, Australian TV soap Neighbours has announced it will not film this week as a precaution, after reports suggested a person working on the show had come into contact with someone who tested positive for Covid-19.

The show's parent companies, Network Ten and Fremantle, have opted to take a break until Monday in order to adapt their filming schedules to minimise the impact of the outbreak.

https://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-51943592

Advertisement