Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,677 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Hi guys, I live near and use the quays daily but I haven't noticed any Dublin Express service passing by since services launched. Does anyone know what the bus actually looks like and is pick-up the same stop on Arran Quay as the 747 stop? Am hoping to try it out later this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

We used Aircoach last night. Bitter cold and in light clothes so felt the walk but thanks to chap who posted tip about exit from Terminal 2 by Aer Lingus checkins. It is a windswept place to have to stand about and wait if no bus available. In old place you could nip back into main building for a coffee or loo visit if time allowed. We want to get southside and new service no good to interconnect with regular buses from city centre as does not go down O'Connell Street where they overlap.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

I have to say that we are going to see a lot of fun and games the next little while in this battle. I was curious how First would react to DX starting up but everything I've seen from them on social media and elsewhere suggests (surprisingly) they're well up for a fight.

I got on an Aircoach tonight and the driver I was on was actively upselling returns and repeating some of the benefits of the service when selling tickets. Not sure if this was done off his own back or it is something that has been requested from management, anyone else had the same? Ddid anyone get one of the goodie bags on Tuesday? Did they really put branded powerbanks in them?
    Garlinge wrote: »
    We used Aircoach last night. Bitter cold and in light clothes so felt the walk but thanks to chap who posted tip about exit from Terminal 2 by Aer Lingus checkins. It is a windswept place to have to stand about and wait if no bus available. In old place you could nip back into main building for a coffee or loo visit if time allowed. We want to get southside and new service no good to interconnect with regular buses from city centre as does not go down O'Connell Street where they overlap.

That's the problem with the new position, Aircoach have a couple of shelters but they're not going to be anywhere near sufficient enough in the winter even if Aircoach hold onto most of their passengers, let alone all of them. You'd have to imagine that DX might expand their offering in future to additional stops, but now they seemed focused on the city centre walk p traffic at the airport. H
    AngryLips wrote: »
    Hi guys, I live near and use the quays daily but I haven't noticed any Dublin Express service passing by since services launched. Does anyone know what the bus actually looks like and is pick-up the same stop on Arran Quay as the 747 stop? Am hoping to try it out later this month.

Here's a photo
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/darren_hall/49593141982

More detailed info on stops to the airport here (on the wrong page!)
    https://www.dublinexpress.ie/airport-to-city.html

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭belfast stephen

Was at the airport today seemed busy enough for Dublin Express plenty of staff on hand to help any Passangers. Plenty of Signs for Aircoach to re direct passangers to the new Stop loadings not to bad on Aircoach they still have there Sales Counter at the Stop as well.but the test for both Dublin Express and Aircoach will be when Peak season starts at the Airport

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Garlinge wrote: »
    We used Aircoach last night. Bitter cold and in light clothes so felt the walk but thanks to chap who posted tip about exit from Terminal 2 by Aer Lingus checkins.

Cheers, that was my tip (post #216) and I tested it myself when I flew back to Dublin last Tuesday.

If you arrive into T2 on a cold and/or wet day, as soon as you exit into the arrivals area, go down the escalator on the left to the Aer Lingus check-in area and exit T2 there to go over to Zone 11 for the Aircoach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Garlinge

Is there any way to go to T1 "airside" on arrival and exit there thru T1 passport control if only with hand luggage.? With departures you can move between terminals after security. Probably longer walk but on a wet night?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

No. The only connections are outbound airside and the semi connection landside arrivals (that still dumps you outside)

Even if you land at a T1 gate for an Aer Lingus flight you are brought out through T2 passport control / baggage hall via another corridor

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

I think there is a transfer corridor tho? I don't know if its always open AND it probably would take more time than just going out side.

There's a write-up of the current situation along with a good few pics from the airport etc on the Bus and Train User Blog, which is run by a former Go-Ahead Group managing director.

https://busandtrainuser.com/2020/03/08/dublin-airports-bus-and-coach-competition-hots-up/

• Registered Users Posts: 25,326 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Aircoach still sets down at T2 but at an earlier spot so you have to walk a short distance to the entrance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,619 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

kenmm wrote: »
    I think there is a transfer corridor tho? I don't know if its always open AND it probably would take more time than just going out side.

A: it's actually for transfer passengers only
    B: it's usually closed by the afternoon

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,457 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Hmmm.. I'm wondering how this coronavirus will impact this new service.

Of course it will badly impact all public transport operators and in particular ones operating from the airport. But DX might be particularly hard hit, terrible circumstances to launch a new service into. They have invested lots in new coaches and paying big money for premium spot at Dublin airport and now might end up with empty buses for months.

Might actually be a lucky help to Aircoach that they reduced their bus stop cost at Dublin Airport and thus the overall cost of their service. Of course things at First might end up bad overall though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Not fully related to the initial topic of this thread, but Bus Eireann have announced a significant revamp of the 133. Now a majority of the services don’t serve the airport anymore, with it only going to Connolly and terminating. There are now only 6 services that serve the airport (3 towards Dublin in the morning peak, and 3 towards Wicklow in the evening peak), which operate as the 133X. There are some more local route variations as well in the Wicklow region on top of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

And another unrelated ...

Dublin Bus 747 is reverting back to its Winter schedule from the 22nd March.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

bk wrote: »
    Hmmm.. I'm wondering how this coronavirus will impact this new service.

Of course it will badly impact all public transport operators and in particular ones operating from the airport. But DX might be particularly hard hit, terrible circumstances to launch a new service into. They have invested lots in new coaches and paying big money for premium spot at Dublin airport and now might end up with empty buses for months.

Might actually be a lucky help to Aircoach that they reduced their bus stop cost at Dublin Airport and thus the overall cost of their service. Of course things at First might end up bad overall though.

I'd be less certain that DX (or it's backer National Express Group) has actually invested 'lots'.
    It appears that the vehicles are cascaded from other NatX operations in the UK,and front line support staff also over on secondment.
    That leaves only the Kavanagh side as a true investment,and that may also be less than it appears as Drivers may actually be employed via an agency agreement.

Coronavirus has for certain changed everything,with the only uncertainty being how much by and for how long ?

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,259 ✭✭✭koutoubia

AlekSmart wrote: »
    I'd be less certain that DX (or it's backer National Express Group) has actually invested 'lots'.
    It appears that the vehicles are cascaded from other NatX operations in the UK,and front line support staff also over on secondment.
    That leaves only the Kavanagh side as a true investment,and that may also be less than it appears as Drivers may actually be employed via an agency agreement.

Coronavirus has for certain changed everything,with the only uncertainty being how much by and for how long ?
    Vehicles are very high milers but in good condition.
    Yeah a lot of English front line staff here.
    I dont know of any agency drivers in there.....yet!
    Something is happening in there tonight judging by a message I just got.
    Not due back in until early next week ...

koutoubia wrote: »
    Vehicles are very high milers but in good condition.
    Yeah a lot of English front line staff here.
    I dont know of any agency drivers in there.....yet!
    Something is happening in there tonight judging by a message I just got.
    Not due back in until early next week ...

Very poorly explained note on the Dublin Express site
    We are reducing the number of night services between Dublin Airport and Dublin City until 13 June 2020. Between midnight and 4am services will now run every hour.

Since they have three routes, each operating every hour to a 20 minute combined frequency, that is about as clear as mud. I assume that one route is running and the other two cancelled.

No doubt someone from Birmingham posting that up...

So Dublin Coach have cancelled all services and all of us in DX were told that we were not needed from end of shift onwards today.
    Same with Swissport and so on etc.....

So Dublin Coach have cancelled all services and all of us in DX were told that we were not needed from end of shift onwards today.
    Same with Swissport and so on etc.....

You have been put on leave or you have lost your job? I hope it's the former.

Dublin Express have been very poor the last few days, have not bothered updating their customers, have posted very vague statements without really explaining what they actually mean and have come across as disinterested.

To be honest I dont know.
    It was very vague.
    We were told that we would be getting a letter for social welfare.
    Whether this is the end of National Express's foray into Ireland remains to be seen.
    Work on the yard is ongoing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭ax586

Dublin buses Airlink is finishing up on Thursday night was confirmed today.

To be honest I dont know.
    It was very vague.
    We were told that we would be getting a letter for social welfare.
    Whether this is the end of National Express's foray into Ireland remains to be seen.
    Work on the yard is ongoing.

Hope for your sake mate that it's just being laid off temporarily, although I guess that's not much of a crumb of comfort as returning to work there anytime soon is probably some way off anyway.

They need to do better for their staff and customers. The fact you're not sure of your future and they're still taking orders for tickets for tomorrow right now doesn't make a good picture. It makes DX appear like a side project to their main UK Operation rather than a proper foray into the market in it's own right.

I understand the rationale for ceasing services but it doesn't seem to have been handled that well.

ax586 wrote: »

I would imagine Aircoach will quickly follow suit.

I'd also expect to see routes in general, including the 16/41 to switch to a Saturday timetable during the week or perhaps a skeleton service at the same time.

devnull wrote: »
    Hope for your sake mate that it's just being laid off temporarily, although I guess that's not much of a crumb of comfort as returning to work there anytime soon is probably some way off anyway.

They need to do better for their staff and customers. The fact you're not sure of your future and they're still taking orders for tickets for tomorrow right now doesn't make a good picture. It makes DX appear like a side project to their main UK Operation rather than a proper foray into the market in it's own right.

Sometime in the future, be it in the near or distant future, I may go into what a f***ing s***storm the whole episode has been.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

ax586 wrote: »

Really ? They only updated the other day to say back to a winter timetable from next weekend.

Would have expected a drop in frequency but not a complete cut in service

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Really ? They only updated the other day to say back to a winter timetable from next weekend.

Would have expected a drop in frequency but not a complete cut in service

Not finishing for good, traffic at Dublin Airport is down 60% and that will increase more over next few weeks.

Airlink is a commercial service.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Not finishing for good, traffic at Dublin Airport is down 60% and that will increase more over next few weeks.

Airlink is a commercial service.

If they're ceasing services they should stop selling tickets for dates they are not running...

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

Anyone any info on How Aircoach are doing, will they stop sevices soon also, can't be much business for them now.

soundman45 wrote: »
    Anyone any info on How Aircoach are doing, will they stop sevices soon also, can't be much business for them now.

They've released an update this morning
    https://www.aircoach.ie/news/covid19-coronavirus-information

• Advertisement

According to a statement from Dublin Express, they are still running.
    Our services are still operating between Dublin City and Dublin Airport, however if you would like to cancel and refund your ticket you can do this via our cancellation portal , providing it is 72 hours before you are due to travel.

If you are due to travel within 72 hours and you no longer wish to travel as planned between 13 March and 13 April 2020, we will honour a change to your booking, free of charge. You will be able to amend your journey anytime within 12 months, simply complete this form to advise us of your intention to postpone your plans. Then just get in touch with us when you wish to rebook your travel* by calling our Customer Service team on +353 1 903 9508, our lines are open 08.00 – 22.00, 7 days a week. Calls are charged at local rate.

*This is valid for bookings amended onto a comparable journey. An excess fee may apply if there is a difference in fare

Advertisement