Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Will you download the contact tracing app?

• 16-03-2020 12:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭

I know privacy is very important to people but I fear that drastic times call for drastic measures.

Let's say the Irish Government introduced a smartphone app tomorrow to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The app would record all your movements and triage the data against the movements of those infected with COVID-19. An app which could save thousands of lives.

Would you allow this app to be installed on your smartphone?

(The data would be solely used by health authorities)

Will you opt-in to new Covid Contact Tracing app when released? 1238 votes

Yes
    69% 858 votes
    No
    30% 380 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭fishy_fishy

Yes. It was used very effectively in China, but it seems that the HSE can't be bothered letting us know the COUNTY involved never nind that sort of useful information so unfortunately can't see it happening

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

jetsonx wrote: »
    I know privacy is very important to people but I fear that drastic times call for drastic measures.

Let's say the Irish Government introduced a smartphone app tomorrow to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The app would record all your movements and triage the data against the movements of those infected with COVID-19. An app would could save thousands of lives.

Its always these draconian measures are brought in with a sugar coating. Its really about monitoring and controlling you. You wonder why so many have depression? Its because of constant observation on either cameras, social media or by smart phones. Edwards Snowdon, Chelsea Manning and others have all exposed this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭jetsonx

Its always these draconian measures are brought in with a sugar coating. Its really about monitoring and controlling you. You wonder why so many have depression? Its because of constant observation on either cameras, social media or by smart phones. Edwards Snowdon, Chelsea Manning and others have all exposed this.

I know about the potential downsides. But this is really a matter of life and death.

All this talk about Big Data. All the frankly useless and sh1t apps people install on their phones. This is one case where technology could be leveraged directly to save lives. In fact, it seems bizarre that we're not doing something like this. We have enough software developers living here. The telecom infrastructure is already in place.

All the frankly useless and sh1t apps people install on their phones. This is one case where technology could be leveraged directly to save lives. In fact, it seems bizarre that we're not doing something like this. We have enough software developers living here. The telecom infrastructure is already in place.

They are monitoring this stuff already, they are doing this without your permission. Most of these free games are collecting data for marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,546 ✭✭✭siochain

Absolutely, we need to do what ever is needed to slow this thing down.

• Advertisement

siochain wrote: »
    Absolutely, we need to do whatever is needed to slow this thing down.

1984, with a sugar coating.... what about the next crisis? You are giving a civil servant/politician carte blanche to do "whatever" is necessary in a "crisis", like "in the national interest"?.

You took off all the safety catches that protect your privacy as a private citizen. What if you found yourself an enemy of the state like a rogue journalist? and apply the phrase "in the national interest"?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,177 ✭✭✭Ubbquittious

If they had only closed the borders before cases started popping up here. They have some neck if they now expect people to welcome some big brother measures into their lives in a futile attempt to lessen impact of their fcuk up

If they had only closed the borders before cases started popping up here. They have some neck if they now expect people to welcome some big brother measures into their lives in a futile attempt to lessen impact of their fcuk up

But there is a "crisis" and its "in the national interest"?

I wonder if they justified all that snooping on Maurice McCabe and the editor of the Irish times Geraldine Kennedy, "in the national interest"? People have such short memories.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Let's say the Irish Government introduced a smartphone app tomorrow to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The app would record all your movements and triage the data against the movements of those infected with COVID-19. An app which could save thousands of lives.

Oh you sweet innocent summer child. That ship sailed long before you got your first smartphone.

The government wouldn't need a tracking app. Like the Chinese version it would just be an app where they keep you in the loop.

All your movements and interactions are recorded because that's what smartphones do. The only difference between the brands and networks is who has access to the information.

There's two main eco-systems Apple/Google.
    There's only three companies with masts 3/Eir/Vodafone.
    Blackberry rolled over to the Saudis on encryption.
    ( It's a strange world where Microsoft barely register on the Big Brother scale. )

For near complete tracking a government could use other channels instead.
    And then there's the phone brands and then there's the network equipment. And then there's the likes of facebook and twitter and other apps that are wide spread and on practically every phone already.

So many have depression because it’s handier than working. It has absolutely **** all to do with the tinfoil hat stuff.

OP, I’d happily share my location with the HSE 24/7 if it helped.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,295 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

siochain wrote: »
    Absolutely, we need to do what ever is needed to slow this thing down.

Separate anyone with a temperature and off to the gulags

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Rufeo

Yes i would be allowing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Don't have a smartphone. Would probably spend the time mucking around with leaches instead.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,659 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

They used to have 27,000 armed troops up north and 40% of the vehicle fuel was still laundered or smuggled. Official fuel imports fell while car ownership was going up.

It would only work if Northern Ireland blocked ports and airports too.

They used to have 27,000 armed troops up north and 40% of the vehicle fuel was still laundered or smuggled. Official fuel imports fell while car ownership was going up.

It would only work if Northern Ireland blocked ports and airports too.

That is different that was part of the Good Friday agreement. Totally different, price of peace.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭0gac3yjefb5sv7

How will it work and what will be the benefits of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/app-to-track-and-trace-covid-19-infections-being-developed-991213.html

It is expected that members of the general public and those who are sick could be asked to use the phone or computer facility in a bid to restrict the spread of the virus and even contain possible clusters

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭johnfás

A pan European app is a much better idea and would get us towards normality a lot quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Fr_Dougal wrote: »

HSE handing of personal data is deplorable and speaks to a lack of training on how to deal with such situations, however in the third case the election candidate who sent the data to the media was showboating for publicity. Came onto possession of the data on a Friday, and attempted to contact data protection officer on the Saturday - knowing well the office would be closed, and when advised to drop to reception in a sealed envelope to be processed after weekend, refused and instead contacted the media. CUH were not given a reasonable opportunity to address the breach.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,609 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I cant see people opting into this in big numbers, many people wouldnt trust the HSE

Muahahaha wrote: »
    I cant see people opting into this in big numbers, many people wouldnt trust the HSE

It should be mandatory

• Registered Users Posts: 2,567 ✭✭✭Risteard81

MattS1 wrote: »
    It should be mandatory
    No it shouldn't.

I won't be installing any app.

Risteard81 wrote: »
    No it shouldn't.

I won't be installing any app.

Selfish af. And that's why we are in lockdown for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

MattS1 wrote: »
    Selfish af. And that's why we are in lockdown for so long.

EMBRACE THE MASS SURVEILLANCE OR YOU ARE KILLING GRANNY

EMBRACE THE MASS SURVEILLANCE OR YOU ARE KILLING GRANNY

You investigating the 5G towers too?

• Registered Users Posts: 917 ✭✭✭Mr_Muffin

Is it opensource?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭Miike

The tin foil hattery on the forum is insane lately. Much worse than ever before.

I would make my entire person health record public knowledge if it would save a single life from being endangered. That's just my personal take on it those arbitrary links posted above that has nothing to do with handling of electronic data but instead physical files and documents (bar the MHS related one which was straight up ignorance of one member of staff.)

I will be using the app, it's working phenomenally in Singapore and Australia.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,980 ✭✭✭s1ippy

Here is the website of the company doing it

http://www.machine.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

s1ippy wrote: »
    Here is the website of the company doing it

http://www.machine.ie

Tinder.

Advertisement