Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts on Covid19?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

The number of people sweating all over everything and no towel in sight never mind a spray, im not going. Mine is open but I'll stick with beat saber and push ups and whatever other bodyweight stuff. And walk/run obvz

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

When the gym closes I might try to walk/run in it’s place (not keen on running though) until we get told we have to remain indoors :(

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,816 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

CWF wrote: »
    Your statement is completely untrue.

Read below advice from HSE posted Fri 13th
    Can I go to a gym?
    If you are going to a gym with good hygiene standards then your risk of contracting the virus is low. If the gym management is asking people if they are well before they come in through the door, then that risk is even lower. If going to the gym is important to you for your health and mental wellbeing then go to a gym with good hygiene standards and one that is policing to prevent members that are unwell from coming in. Same principles apply, keep one metre distance, and minimise touch of surfaces and your eyes, nose and mouth.

Nothing in that contradicts what I said.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭L'prof

OmegaGene wrote: »

I might try this too. Probably with breaks between every exercise though. I looked at the first video and turned it off straight away. Pull ups are not possible for me right now :p

• Registered Users Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭obi604

There is a fella that goes to my local place and he carries a bath towel around all the cardio machines sweating buckets and then lays it on the benches and seats in the weight room

When you think of it though. Are towels kinda pointless. You put towel on bench, sweat on it, wipe your sweat with it, wipe your face, hands all over it, wipe your eye area etc then your move it to next bench or whatever, and repeat. So transfer from one bench to another. Then you bring towel home, leave it on seat of car, more germ transfer potential.

would you be As well of just using spray and fresh paper towel before you start and then when you finish on each piece of equipment.

• Advertisement

Towels are disgusting things when used this way

But this is the way most people use towels in the gym

• Registered Users Posts: 748 ✭✭✭EmptyTree

Not touch your nose, eyes and mouth when your in the gym?

Is that really unmanageable?
    At best, a gym (and the activities in a gym) aren't conducive to minimising of the touching of surfaces and the nose, eyes and mouth. A 2015 study found that a group of students touched their faces 23 times an hour. Almost have of those involved the nose, eyes or mouth. I think that it's reasonable that this could increase when someone is perspiring. Even with good self awareness and self discipline, I think "not touch your nose, eyes and mouth when your in the gym" is unimaginable for the vast majority of people. .

http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25637115/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

EmptyTree wrote: »
    At best, a gym (and the activities in a gym) aren't conducive to minimising of the touching of surfaces and the nose, eyes and mouth. A 2015 study found that a group of students touched their faces 23 times an hour. Almost have of those involved the nose, eyes or mouth. I think that it's reasonable that this could increase when someone is perspiring. Even with good self awareness and self discipline, I think "not touch your nose, eyes and mouth when your in the gym" is unimaginable for the vast majority of people. .

http://https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/m/pubmed/25637115/

Students are filthy animals though.

Link is broken by the way.

But interesting...I found the study. I try to not touch my face because people carry germs on their hands onto weight equipment so I expect the equipment to be filthy though usually minus COVID-19. Hence if I wipe my forehead its with the back of my arm etc. Maybe I overestimate my vigilance but could be something to do further studies on in light of this pandemic.

But anyway, I'm still on board with not going to the gym for the time being.

I use mine in the shower

Ah yeah grand. But I’m on about the people that bring the hand towel around with them in the gym in the interest of ‘hygiene’

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I’m just being conscious to not touch my face and then scrubbing my hands/wrists/forearms with soap at the end. Also I put away my phone and not touch it til after I wash hands.
    I just don’t understand fellas on their phone between sets, phone gets contaminated and then back onto hands. That or fellas just grabbing their bags at the end and strolling out without washing their hands. Really no wonder that this virus will spread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

There is a fella that goes to my local place and he carries a bath towel around all the cardio machines sweating buckets and then lays it on the benches and seats in the weight room

The virus is not transmittable via sweat.

Granted the above is still pretty mank.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

My gym staying open until mandated otherwise. Gym is private and 5k square foot area. Classes are now capped at 16 people, meaning a 2m distance while training is very doable. Nobody with symptoms is allowed in. All members are required to disinfect equipment before and after use and there are multiple notices around the place reminding them not to touch face, with alcohol hand gels also provided.

I think this is about as responsible as anyone can be without being expected to run their business into the ground. Flyefit and Ben Dunne can afford a few weeks of zero business; many smaller gyms can’t.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Deano7788

To be honest, I've trained the last 2 days, gym is private and doing everything it can and there was very few there when I was training so was able to keep my distance for the most part. I was still pretty anxious and uncomfortable throughout though and was making me worse mentally if anything so won't be going again until things are back to normal, whenever that is.

I did order my own equipment when I went home though since I have the space and had been considering it for a while anyway. Lower body wise especially I'd be limited to a degree to the benefit I'd get from bodyweight stuff or band stuff.

Deano7788 wrote: »
    To be honest, I've trained the last 2 days, gym is private and doing everything it can and there was very few there when I was training so was able to keep my distance for the most part. I was still pretty anxious and uncomfortable throughout though and was making me worse mentally if anything so won't be going again until things are back to normal, whenever that is.

I did order my own equipment when I went home though since I have the space and had been considering it for a while anyway. Lower body wise especially I'd be limited to a degree to the benefit I'd get from bodyweight stuff or band stuff.

What you order?!

obi604 wrote: »
    What you order?!

Competition powerlifting rack, bar and about 300kg of plates!

Already had conditioning equipment so will be able to get in a good mix.

Nice. That’ll keep you busy alright

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

oh my god im jealous
    and here i was debating about getting a kettlebell like

bluewolf wrote: »
    oh my god im jealous
    and here i was debating about getting a kettlebell like

I want to keep my squat gains going!

I want to keep my squat gains going!

i totally don't have coronavirus can i visit :D

bluewolf wrote: »
    i totally don't have coronavirus can i visit :D

If you can find the place with 0 guidance feel free!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Covid-19 is not airborne. Catching a virus though droplets from sneezing/coughing is not the same as a virus being airborne. You have to ingest the droplets to catch it.

The problem in a gym is not so much the droplets but the amount of equipment many ppl have touched before you.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 8,288 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Not a user of a gym atm but if I were and I really wanted to go, I would, but I would wipe down ever piece of equipment I used.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭Idiot boy

Just go for a good run and dont try to kill the elderly.....not too much to ask surely....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,620 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I'm not looking for an argument or judgement - not everyone lives with people or has to commute for work, so risks can be low.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 24,554 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

1418058326475.png

I have some bands and a kettlebell...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭billybonkers

This guys is excellent and is putting together a free workout at home guide

https://www.instagram.com/hypertrophycoach/?hl=en

• Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Cole

Same boat here, but I haven't taken the plunge and ordered yet. Do you mind sharing where you purchased?

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,052 ✭✭✭CWF

This might be useful to some https://youtu.be/-MRNjTr6xrE

• Advertisement
Advertisement