Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Do not let the **** up

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,758 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Weed out the weak. Let the captain be the first to go if they don’t like it, rather than sly little group texts.

It’s a participation sport last time I looked. Weeding out isn’t necessary. You pick a 15 based on ability, that’s to be found by watching play, with a football, not mud wrestling like a 13 year old delinquent kid for the gratification of some

• Registered Users Posts: 2,757 ✭✭✭stockshares

They don’t have to stay or turn up the next night if they don’t like it.
    If their ok with it there's something wrong with them. The manager sounded like a bully and seemed to get a kick out of Lads being dominated.
    Strumms wrote: »
    100%, if they had a captain worth his salt with a bit of integrity he’d be messaging the guys to refuse to do it at the next session. There is fûck all sporting, fûck all fitness value that can’t be achieved doing other more traditional and appropriate workouts and fûck all in the way of character building and it certainly won’t help winning matches... that is a bully pure and simple and it sounds like he is getting some kick out of watching a load of lads, rolling around in the mud together... weirdo. Lads just need to stand side by side... “no we won’t be doing that and if you have a problem with it, you might end up face down in the mud yourself.

Imagine too parents now, of children playing underage, seeing what goes on, the premise being at some point that might be awaiting them. Jeeez.
    Gaa lads tend to follow as they are very eager to get somewhere, they rarely question. You must be seen to be the tough guy. That manager would create a bullying culture with his methods if he hasn't already

Good point about the parents. It doesn't look much like a progressive healthy sport in that video.
    Weed out the weak. Let the captain be the first to go if they don’t like it, rather than sly little group texts.
    Gaa is for all. You suggest weeding out the weak but what your actually doing is weeding out the intelligent and being left with the stupid. Who would put up with that bullying.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,308 ✭✭✭robbiezero

The atmosphere in that session was obnoxious and could be construed as abusive. No way is it best practice.

As I said Sheep led by Donkeys. Just cos they won an intermediate Championship doesn't make it ok.

If players are ok with this ****e it's no wonder every game is infested with pulling and dragging and vicious spite.

How do you know what the atmosphere in the session was like?
    Absolutely no evidence of bullying or abuse that I saw anyway and it's a nasty insinuation to make based on what is shown in the video.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

robbiezero wrote: »
    How do you know what the atmosphere in the session was like?
    Absolutely no evidence of bullying or abuse that I saw anyway and it's a nasty insinuation to make based on what is shown in the video.

Are you for real?

Listen to the language out of the on the sideline. Listen to what he is calling the lad being held down. How on earth is that not abusive?

Take the blinkers off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭seligehgit

Mod Warning

Irrespective of what evidence there may be of verbal abuse/bullying on the video,same does not give posters carte blanche to use abusive terms in relation to the coach/manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭benjy1000

dmc17 wrote: »
    They'll kick 20 wides in their first game and he'll be scratching his head wondering where it all went wrong :confused:

Exactly.
    With Managers like him it Will be the refs fault or I heard once that there was a hill on the pitch & it wasn’t flat.
    It will never be his fault that’s for sure..

• Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭grbear

Should be thrown out of the GAA for shooting video in portrait. That's my two cents.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

The real question is who could be bothered with that carry on in the evening? There is a lot to be said for watching EastEnders with a cup of hot chocolate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,755 ✭✭✭✭Hello 2D Person Below

I'm aghast at seeing such carry on in the land of the Healy-Raes.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭BnB

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Are you for real?

Listen to the language out of the on the sideline. Listen to what he is calling the lad being held down. How on earth is that not abusive?

Take the blinkers off.

Ahh come on. I won't deny tis a fairly scuttery looking exercise, but bullying....

Half the lads are on the ground and the other half are trying to hold them down. So is he bullying half the team..!!!! And then they switch position and the opposite man is on the ground... Is he bullying the other half then ?

Tis a fairly harmless exercise working on a bit of core strength and fitness for a few minutes. Personally I'd say tis actually a bit of craic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

I'm aghast to see a lad trying to escape side control by turning away from their opponent, turn into him ta f**k!!

Do these lads have proper coaches at all?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭flasher0030

corny wrote: »
    I don't see that as being very plausible tbh. If you're happy to take the black card you can easily stop a player joining the attack. Doesn't take practice. Pull, drag, trip, do whatever. Not rocket science. You'd be far better served practicing the sneaky off the ball stuff (which i'm sure they do).

This is just lads rolling around on a filthy night, enduring a hardship to build character. ****e attempt at building character but an attempt nonetheless for me.

Is it not obvious that with the controversy in the past few weeks about David Clifford and Michael Murphy unjustly getting sent off for second yellow in these type of scuffles i.e. floor wrestle - that this dude decided to play on it and have his team play out similar type situations i.e. pin the player with the 2nd yellow to the floor long enough for the ref/lineman to take notice, dish out the yellows, and then the opponent is sent off as its his second yellow.

Surely no coach in their right mind is thinking to himself when setting out the training schedule - """mmm, I think I'll have the lads do a bit of mud-wrestling tonight".

Is it not obvious that with the controversy in the past few weeks about David Clifford and Michael Murphy unjustly getting sent off for second yellow in these type of scuffles i.e. floor wrestle - that this dude decided to play on it and have his team play out similar type situations i.e. pin the player with the 2nd yellow to the floor long enough for the ref/lineman to take notice, dish out the yellows, and then the opponent is sent off as its his second yellow.

Surely no coach in their right mind is thinking to himself when setting out the training schedule - """mmm, I think I'll have the lads do a bit of mud-wrestling tonight".

That's what I thought. Practicing cynical play.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Eamonn8448

as a kerryman very disappointed in this, wheres the f***ing football ball ? Fair enough get into a tussle but put the ball into your teams advantage, the coach is missing the entire point of the game footBALL

That drill is also unhealthy. Rolling around in mud and water with some players heads pushed into the mud/water would more than likely result in flus, infections etc and result in players missing training and matches. It makes no sense.

If it was for grappling/cardio reasons it could have been performed indoors on mats.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Jesus wept...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

That drill is also unhealthy. Rolling around in mud and water with some players heads pushed into the mud/water would more than likely result in flus, infections etc and result in players missing training and matches. It makes no sense.

If it was for grappling/cardio reasons it could have been performed indoors on mats.

That is a major, major reach. If you're scared of mud and water, you're in the wrong country.

To be honest I personally don't have a problem with the wrestling itself (plenty of teams do boxing in the preseason, breaks up the monotomy of running constantly) but the way the coach talks about the players is an embarrassment.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

siblers wrote: »
    Video from Kilcummin Gaa of lads pinning each other to the ground. It's not that I find it offensive but I find it crazy that this is part of training. It's good aerobic training but don't get the impression this is what the drill is being used for

its a good drill to practice strength/aerobic. Bit much to be saying it's not what the drill is being used for.
    S.G.M. wrote: »
    'Bury his face into the ground'.
    Just say a player suffered from panic attacks or asthma even, this sort of crap could easily trigger an attack if they were to get pinned in an awkward position.
    A specific example I know but still a valid point.

I just think it's ridiculous and serves no purpose other than mancho bravado crap.
    that is very much ott. And speaking as someone who suffers from panic attacks and have done this type of drill in rugby sessions it wouldnt at all easily trigger a panic attack. It's a physical drill that is good to see how hard players can fight
    https://www.offtheball.com/football/kerry-club-gaa-whatsapp-video-978621

It's from Kilcummin Gaa in Kerry. Intermediate team training.

It looks like they are deliberately practicing cynical play.
    Is this what the Gaa has come to.

Sheep led by Donkeys. The Manager is probably getting a few quid while the players get **** all only abuse roared at them.
    its not deliberately practicing cynical play. It's a team in pre season mode doing a physical drill.
    The atmosphere in that session was obnoxious and could be construed as abusive. No way is it best practice.

As I said Sheep led by Donkeys. Just cos they won an intermediate Championship doesn't make it ok.

If players are ok with this ****e it's no wonder every game is infested with pulling and dragging and vicious spite.
    you cant at all describe the atmosphere as obnoxious and certainly cant say it isnt best practice or abusive.
    100%, if they had a captain worth his salt with a bit of integrity he’d be messaging the guys to refuse to do it at the next session. There is fûck all sporting, fûck all fitness value that can’t be achieved doing other more traditional and appropriate workouts and fûck all in the way of character building and it certainly won’t help winning matches... that is a bully pure and simple and it sounds like he is getting some kick out of watching a load of lads, rolling around in the mud together... weirdo. Lads just need to stand side by side... “no we won’t be doing that and if you have a problem with it, you might end up face down in the mud yourself.

Imagine too parents now, of children playing underage, seeing what goes on, the premise being at some point that might be awaiting them. Jeeez.
    I would have done this drill regularly in rugby sessions. Yes it's more valid in rugby with way tackle/ruck etc work but point is still valid. It's good to see how hard players can work. It's a body weight trainingbexercixe
    If their ok with it there's something wrong with them. The manager sounded like a bully and seemed to get a kick out of Lads being dominated.

Gaa lads tend to follow as they are very eager to get somewhere, they rarely question. You must be seen to be the tough guy. That manager would create a bullying culture with his methods if he hasn't already

Good point about the parents. It doesn't look much like a progressive healthy sport in that video.

Gaa is for all. You suggest weeding out the weak but what your actually doing is weeding out the intelligent and being left with the stupid. Who would put up with that bullying.
    you are just getting hysterical now. Gaa is for all but this incident isn't weeding out the weak or the creation of a bullying culture.

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭Marty Xavier

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Has nothing to do with Gaelic football. Clowns.

This is a standard tactic now when the game is nearly up, players wrestle their opponent to the ground to slow the play down, if it happens all over the park the ref struggles with it and it eats into the clock. Dublin invented this move against Mayo a few years back, the thinking is that even if someone gets a card it's worth it.
    For me if it is done the team who are behind should be given a free kick immediately from the spot it happens, if it happens again then the free is brought forward etc. if it happens a third time perhaps a penalty kick?

This is a standard tactic now when the game is nearly up, players wrestle their opponent to the ground to slow the play down, if it happens all over the park the ref struggles with it and it eats into the clock. Dublin invented this move against Mayo a few years back, the thinking is that even if someone gets a card it's worth it.
    For me if it is done the team who are behind should be given a free kick immediately from the spot it happens, if it happens again then the free is brought forward etc. if it happens a third time perhaps a penalty kick?

:D
    That whole post was just to say that.

• Advertisement

Fann Linn wrote: »
    Has nothing to do with Gaelic football. Clowns.

Does weight training have anything to do with football?

Anythony Daly had the Dublin hurlers start their pre season in an Army Ranger boot camp. Apparently first thing that happened was Garry Maguire was made to keep doing pushups while a Drill instructor stood on his back, Maguire is Diabetic...people would probably say that was as bad

Bambi wrote: »
    Does weight training have anything to do with football?

Anythony Daly had the Dublin hurlers start their pre season in an Army Ranger boot camp. Apparently first thing that happened was Garry Maguire was made to keep doing pushups while a Drill instructor stood on his back, Maguire is Diabetic...people would probably say that was as bad

Football requires a certain physicality and fitness that can be partly obtained by weight training. Hurling too.

Again if I’m a senior player in that Dublin camp I’m expressing my concerns to Daly... if I end up in a situation where he is saying you ARE doing it or you are getting dropped I’d want the panel to say en masse... ok you are dropping 30 of us. Followed by a phone call to the chairman of the county board informing them of what is the expectation, to be assaulted as part of your training routine at some toy solider bully boy boot camp with some knuckle head standing on your back as you are forced to do push-ups.

These guys have family, jobs and other responsibilities to take care of, no way should they feel obligated to or ever asked to undergo that carry on with the risk of compromising your health, livelihood and family life.

Dublin have access to the best of fitness equipment and facilities, no need for that shîte.

:D
    That whole post was just to say that.

But am I wrong? isn't this accepted fact that Dublin invented it? Tyrone must be wondering how come they missed this one...

Dublin have access to the best of fitness equipment and facilities, no need for that shîte.

No need for that ****e.....and yet the only time the Dublin Senior Hurlers won anything in our lifetime was under the management of one Anthony Daly :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 sk9

But am I wrong? isn't this accepted fact that Dublin invented it? Tyrone must be wondering how come they missed this one...

Yes

Ok so when was it ever used before as a tactic by more than one individual?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭ArielAtom

If you go back to the game in question Keegan dragged Kilkenny to the ground before the ball was thrown in, so technically you are wrong.

Bambi wrote: »
    No need for that ****e.....and yet the only time the Dublin Senior Hurlers won anything in our lifetime was under the management of one Anthony Daly :D

Using skill, ability, drive, determination and togetherness.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Jayzus, if we invented this jiggery-pokery, I hope we're getting paid decent royalties. All those helicopters delivering post training grub to the lads on their own private Caribbean islands won't pay for themselves, ya know !

• Advertisement

ArielAtom wrote: »
    If you go back to the game in question Keegan dragged Kilkenny to the ground before the ball was thrown in, so technically you are wrong.

Technically I asked when was it used by more than one individual as a team tactic? Dublin used it first. No issue with Dublin using it but it should be something that is stamped out now and close the loophole. To me gaelic football is a **** of a game for the most part but at least Dublin , Kerry and Mayo are watchable.

Advertisement