Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part V - 34 cases in ROI, 16 in NI (as of 10 March) *Read warnings in OP*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6 HowardBeale

Great thing about this thread is we can identify the hard chaws that will go against Government/CDC/WHO/Expert advice.

They are the kind that will break isolation & quarantine, go to the pub when told it's better not to and just generally act the bollocks because "It's no worse than a cold" "You're all crazy! You all want an apocalypse!" and "I am not changing my lifestyle for a couple of weeks."

Or you could just go mad with hysteria like many thinking wet wipes is more efficient than booasting the immune system.

Many will let the paranoia kill them before any virus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭Still waters

Steve F wrote: »
    Posts that begin with:-
    "Just heard....
    "Don't quote me on this....
    "Someone said....
    "Someone told me...
    Really?

As bad as people saying "really?" at the end of their sentences

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

joe40 wrote: »
    Human nature being what it is, the more drastic social distancing measures will only work on a large scale when people see an actual risk in their locality. That is obviously too late in a way, but I think that is just how many people react. Probably the same myself to be honest.
    Just look at the lack of global response over the years to climate change. Until there is evidence people see or feel themselves it is easy to ignore.
    Until we see neighbours down with the flu and hospitals turning people away it will be hard to enforce the more extreme measures.

The Italian population may accept the shutdown now but I guarantee the government would not have been able to enforce it 2 weeks ago. No EU country is a police state, draconian measures will require public buy in.
    Good point. There were tonnes of Italians that were planning to live life normally and said it was just a flu, stop using scare tactics. And now look at their country, the healthcare system on the verge of collapse, people not getting response to 112 calls, and everyone on lockdown. You make a really good point that seeing is believing, and this is probably why humans will never solve the climate crisis.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭megabomberman

I'm not sure why posters are so keen to give the virus a big chance to get going before containing it, why not start with proper measures that have been proven to work elsewhere now?

There is no guarantee that the Italy, France or Spain will be able to tame this thing over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

Interesting to see the query from SusieBlue on NYC in April - I'm supposed to be going as well (on the 22nd). Have a feeling it might not be happening, since I'm going with my sister who would be classed as higher risk :(

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,435 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

Stheno wrote: »
    What's UBI?

Universal Basic Income.

Basically, everyone receives a form of social welfare payment each week, regardless of if they are unemployed or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    That's strange because up until yesterday there was absolutely no rush at all in Dublin, i went shopping in Aldi, Lidl, Supevalue and Dunne's between Sun and Mon. All normal

That program on tv last night must have spooked some people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Naggdefy wrote: »
    I know!

Solpadine also has codine. It's a better pain killer for the back, but if you take it for a while, you'll get headaches trying to come off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,213 ✭✭✭Mic 1972

Or you could just go mad with hysteria like many thinking wet wipes is more efficient than booasting the immune system.

good luck with that

• Registered Users Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

15 new cases in the UAE: 3 Italians, 2 Emiratis, 2 Sri Lankan, 2 Brits, 2 Indians, 1 from Germany, 1 from South Africa, 1 from Tanzania, and 1 from Iran

5 new cases in Greece, thought to have been infected by a group of pilgrims who recently returned from Israel.

2 people in Kuwait infected after travelling to Egypt. This is at least the 8th or 9th case of an infection occurring in Egypt despite the country claiming about as many recorded cases themselves and would imply there are several thousand unrecorded cases in the country

3 cases in Estonia, Morocco and Mongolia related to Fench nationals/french travel

Each day more cases popping up after people travelling to areas outside the original hotzones

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

I'm not sure why posters are so keen to give the virus a big chance to get going before containing it, why not start with proper measures that have been proven to work elsewhere now?

There is no guarantee that the Italy, France or Spain will be able to tame this thing over the next few weeks.

Have they worked. Someone mentioned Wuhan went into lockdown with 500 cases. That is not a success in my books.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,314 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Mic 1972 wrote: »
    Italy had 3 cases until 2 weeks ago, they went from 3 to 200 within a couple of days. If we don't lock down now we will have to do it later anyway

We cannot use Bologna as a template for anything. It's wise to adopt a 'wait and see' approach for the next week and watch closely how the virus is progressing across the EU. Given that our own numbers are low, we still have time on our side.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,239 ✭✭✭joeysoap

banie01 wrote: »
    I would hope that Ryanair and any other Airlines still routing flights to the quarantined areas are flying "ghost" flights?
    Rather than actual passenger service?

If the flights are not operated the airline must lose their slots, so until the EU make a determination on the 80/20 rule many airlines will be flying empty to keep their slot.

Explains why Aer Lingus are still flying from Milan, Verona and Venice with no bookings allowed on their website.

I feel for their staff though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Good morning, Europe:

"On 10 March, the members of the European Council will discuss how to coordinate EU efforts to respond to the COVID-19 outbreak.
    The meeting will start at 17.00 (CET).
    President of the European Commission, Ursula von der Leyen, and President of the European Central Bank, Christine Lagarde, will also take part in the discussion."
    https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/european-council/president/news/20200309-euco-videoconference-covid19/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Not one Christmas tree to be found in town.
    Man said I’ll have to wait till November.
    OMG

• Registered Users Posts: 912 ✭✭✭bekker

gabeeg wrote: »
    For what it's worth - 881 new cases in Iran, 54 deaths
    And Turkey is still the virgin.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭Tomrota

Strazdas wrote: »
    Not enough to justify shutting down a country with 24 cases. If we moved well into three figures, that would be a different matter.
    So what you’re suggesting we do is follow the Italian model? Watch the HSE crumble.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,352 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Wibbs wrote: »
    I hate to break it to you, but long before this virus quite the number of dying people in hospitals ended up dying alone, mostly out of practicalities or just pure dumb luck, like passing away in the middle of the night, or when relatives weren't visiting.
    That may be true, but there is something heartbreaking about knowing that your elderly parent is locked in hospital for days or weeks, and may never come out or see any of their family ever again.

Usually people who die alone do so because of a sudden illness, or a long term illness that just progresses to death (which can take days)

It's not the final moments, it's the fact that they can be brought to hospital and never be seen alive again.

At least we have technology to communicate remotely, at least we can say goodbye over the phone or on Whatsapp or whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Christy42 wrote: »
    Have they worked. Someone mentioned Wuhan went into lockdown with 500 cases. That is not a success in my books.
    23 February: Italy had done 3000 tests and found "only" 132 positive cases
    Lockdown starts for the epicentres, population 50000 people, with police and army check points
    In those areas the spread has now slowed down. It worked.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Cw85

Anyone else get the feeling that it's coming to an end here? Can see maybe ten more cases max overall and then it just fizzling out. Italy had a massive community spread whereas we had 2/3 and there appears to be no more. I think the 1.9m estimation was a mad calculation not even China had that kind of number

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,348 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Solpadine also has codine. It's a better pain killer for the back, but if you take it for a while, you'll get headaches trying to come off it.

Solpadeine:

https://www.medicines.ie/medicines/solpadeine-tablets-33779/patient-info

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭landofthetree

SusieBlue wrote: »
    Have flights to NYC booked for April. Today is the last day I can cancel my hotel for free, what would Boardsies do?
    We're getting a really good deal and I know I won't find a better price but at the rate this virus is escalating I don't think I'll be going regardless. I don't know what to do.

You probably can kick the can down the road.

Go on to bookings.com and look for a place with free cancellation. You may find a place with cancellation up to a couple of days before the trip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

bekker wrote: »

Have Turkey made any announcement re. tests done?

The sooner some sort of UBI is rolled out, then the less of these type of walk-outs there will be. Companies should offer no risk temporary leave, upto 3mths if desired.

Sorry, should have said he quit smoking, not his job! Interesting point you are raising here all the same. Some people will prob unilaterally quit their jobs in fear/panic etc. If this epidemic takes 12 weeks to peak and then another 12 weeks to drop, people might want more than 3 months. Might be a good thing if the curve is flattened as a result, not good obviously for a functioning economy though......

• Registered Users Posts: 7,895 ✭✭✭Christy42

otnomart wrote: »
    23 February: Italy had done 3000 tests and found "only" 132 positive cases
    Lockdown starts for the epicentres, population 50000 people, with police and army check points
    In those areas the spread has now slowed down. It worked.

Wuhan is not in Italy. (Italy is also not a success).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,981 ✭✭✭Naggdefy

Cw85 wrote: »
    Anyone else get the feeling that it's coming to an end here? Can see maybe ten more cases max overall and then it just fizzling out. Italy had a massive community spread whereas we had 2/3 and there appears to be no more. I think the 1.9m estimation was a mad calculation not even China had that kind of number

No.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,907 ✭✭✭Stevieluvsye

Cw85 wrote: »

Have you got the virus?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,144 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

bekker wrote: »

Fair play to Turkey and Erdogan. No virus getting through the Turkish border.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,311 ✭✭✭✭fits

Strazdas wrote: »
    We cannot use Bologna as a template for anything. It's wise to adopt a 'wait and see' approach for the next week and watch closely how the virus is progressing across the EU. Given that our own numbers are low, we still have time on our side.

BERGAMO!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,975 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Its particular treatment would be targeted at patients who are experiencing acute respiratory distress syndrome (ARDS) as a result of COVID -19. The mortality rates among those that develop COVID-19-induced ARDS is closer to 50 per cent, according to Mesoblast. Thus its use would be confined to the very sick - generally older people or people with additional health conditions.

Results published last week from an investigator-initiated clinical study in China reported that Mesoblast’s stem cell treatment "cured or significantly improved all functional outcomes in all seven treated patients with severe COVID-19 pneumonia".

"Additionally, in post-hoc analyses of a 60-patient randomised controlled study in chronic obstructive pulmonary disease (COPD), remestemcel-L infusions were well tolerated, significantly reduced inflammatory biomarkers and significantly improved pulmonary function in those patients with elevated inflammatory biomarkers.

"Since the same inflammatory biomarkers are also elevated in COVID-19, these data suggest that remestemcel-L could be useful in the treatment of patients with ARDS due to COVID-19," Mesoblast said in its statement.

https://www.smh.com.au/business/companies/investors-wildly-excited-by-australian-biotech-minnow-s-shot-at-coronavirus-cure-20200310-p548o5.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement