Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Luas - a system in decline

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Tomrota wrote: »
    Then how come Vienna, with a lower population density than Dublin, can have 30 tram lines and 5 metro lines? Hmm.

Why is Dublin among a list of third world countries when rated for congestion? More buses isn’t the answer to mass transit in any universe I’m afraid.

When were they built? Where did I say buses were the answer?

Also if planned properly, underground/metro is obviously the solution but inevitably in Ireland we'll plan it to suit a politicians local area rather than with real planning in mind.

The Irish attitude of "Build it and worry about the cost later", well I think the childrens hospital proves what a fallacy that argument is.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

The Irish attitude of "Build it and worry about the cost later", well I think the childrens hospital proves what a fallacy that argument is.
    I dont think anyone adopted that attitude here, a huge amount regarding that hospital has been a farce, but I dont think paying a fortune for it, was by design!

the infrastructure projects here, have been good at coming in on time and budget...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,496 ✭✭✭crossman47

When were they built? Where did I say buses were the answer?

Also if planned properly, underground/metro is obviously the solution but inevitably in Ireland we'll plan it to suit a politicians local area rather than with real planning in mind.

Politicians just react to their voters. The people in Ranelagh stopped the plans for metro by lobbying. Sometimes you feel democracy has a lot to answer for.

crossman47 wrote: »
    Politicians just react to their voters. The people in Ranelagh stopped the plans for metro by lobbying. Sometimes you feel democracy has a lot to answer for.

The needs of the few out-weigh the needs of the many when there's votes at stake. Thousands of houses going out in Cherrywood and a perfectly valid and planned proposal to upgrade the public transport link.
    You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,411 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

The needs of the few out-weigh the needs of the many when there's votes at stake. Thousands of houses going out in Cherrywood and a perfectly valid and planned proposal to upgrade the public transport link.
    You couldn't make it up.

The story was a bit more complex that I had heard originally;

https://twitter.com/DublinCommuters/status/1218582058995527680

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

Idbatterim wrote: »
    I dont think anyone adopted that attitude here, a huge amount regarding that hospital has been a farce, but I dont think paying a fortune for it, was by design!

the infrastructure projects here, have been good at coming in on time and budget...

A rail link to Ballymun and the airport has been on the drawing board in one shape or another since 1975. Hardly a masterpiece of timeliness that, and a project that in all its iterations has had objectors magically appearing for one reason or another every single time.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

i think a new luas route to ballymun is more likely than a rail link.
    If it ever happens .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

riclad wrote: »
    i think a new luas route to ballymun is more likely than a rail link.
    If it ever happens .

Well the mania for redesigning everything pointlessly will ensure that. Sometime around 2030.

no that was caused by a sewer...

I thought the metro was going to go as far as charlemont and then switch to the luas track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I thought the metro was going to go as far as charlemont and then switch to the luas track?

Won't happen as part if MetroLink

analysing this, given we had no light rail previously and first and foremost this is ireland, they were never ever, going to get it right the first time with luas were they?

I mean go underground in city centre, at least on the north / south spine etc? The luas might have been fit for purpose when it opened. I also mean the at grade junction at dunville avenue, which I believe had an overpass before and it was ripped down?! It is not fit for purpose today in my opinion! and with the sheer amount of new development, the sooner it becomes impossible for the politicians to ignore the carnage on it , the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Qrt

Currently sat in the cold at Belgard because I have to change for onward travel to Saggart.

Get off the Tallaght Luas, only to see one or the shuttle trams just have pulled away. It could have waited the thirty seconds to get everyone on. This has happened to me a few times within recent months, with the worst being when the last connecting Luas of the night just didn’t show up on a freezing December night and I had a forty minute walk home.

I don’t remember this crap happening until the last year or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,086 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

There are so many hygiene hazards on the LUAS with Coronavirus

Gael23 wrote: »
    There are so many hygiene hazards on the LUAS with Coronavirus

Fixed your post.

donvito99 wrote: »
    Fixed your post.

Becoming even more pronounced with the spread of a contiguous infection

Becoming even more pronounced with the spread of a contiguous infection

is it any more contagious than a comparable system in another country though?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭Sultan of Bling

Qrt wrote:
    Get off the Tallaght Luas, only to see one or the shuttle trams just have pulled away. It could have waited the thirty seconds to get everyone on. This has happened to me a few times within recent months, with the worst being when the last connecting Luas of the night just didn’t show up on a freezing December night and I had a forty minute walk home.

I've noticed this happen a lot at belgard.

Nonsensical.

is it any more contagious than a comparable system in another country though?
    Maybe not but there are just so many places for germs to spread, from the ticket vending machines to the door buttons and the grab handles.

Maybe not but there are just so many places for germs to spread, from the ticket vending machines to the door buttons and the grab handles.

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.

Or seeing as its cold, wear gloves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

Wash your hands. Don't touch your face.

Or seeing as its cold, wear gloves.

If you wear gloves, the virus gets on your gloves. You then need to clean the gloves. Don't touch your face with gloves on either. The virus gets into your body through your nose, mouth and eyes.

Edit: Link, down the bottom - https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/coronavirus-covid-19/

Advice is to avoid packed public transport. Not good for the Luas

Advice is to avoid packed public transport. Not good for the Luas

its not going to be packed from tomorrow on, with the schools and colleges closed, elderly avoiding it in particular, more working from home too...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Luas had staff at the Point over last few days ensuring trams were cleaned, can see a reduced service coming in soon.

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Luas had staff at the Point over last few days ensuring trams were cleaned, can see a reduced service coming in soon.

would be very interesting to see the effect that had on traffic on the quays in particular, then again hard to know, given traffic will be down a lot one way or another...

• Registered Users Posts: 15,762 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

So reduce the service, even less room for people.

Makes no sense.

Makes no sense.

Less people travelling though?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,573 ✭✭✭Infini

Slight offtopic but heard talk of cutting back to a saturday service on Rail services as well, the amount of people travelling is down to christmas week levels of footfall yesterday.

Makes no sense.

Numbers are down significantly there were trains yesterday during middle of rush hour that had seats in the middle of town which you'd normally never see, they arent gonna be reducing services simply because less are travelling but also to save fuel and energy as well to reduce costs. Everyone is avoiding travelling if they can and schools etc are closed with others working at home too.

Makes no sense.

There will be a fraction of people commuting as most companies have their staff working from home where possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,668 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Makes no sense.

Well traffic is easily down 40-50% and likely even lower next week so in my opinion I expect Luas will move to a Saturday service with a few extra services around peak times. No need for a 3 minute service, 5-6 is enough at peak.

They usually have a summer timetable so they might just move to that either.
    Infini wrote: »
    Slight offtopic but heard talk of cutting back to a saturday service on Rail services as well, the amount of people travelling is down to christmas week levels of footfall yesterday.

Numbers are down significantly there were trains yesterday during middle of rush hour that had seats in the middle of town which you'd normally never see, they arent gonna be reducing services simply because less are travelling but also to save fuel and energy as well to reduce costs. Everyone is avoiding travelling if they can and schools etc are closed with others working at home too.

Think some routes like Maynooth and even DART can go back to hourly and 15m temporarily. Can't see them touching Intercity way to much hassle involved.

Advertisement