Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is There Anybody Out There ....?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭Stigura

Hmm. Well, I'm back in here, booted from the usb stick. So, it's Not my machine.

Tried every available option, when trying to boot normally. Gies as far as the bull icon. Says " Plasma by KDE ", lower right. Plays a little jingle. Then, the screen goes black and that's it :confused:

I'm now wondering; If I download This set up, again ~ will it kick out the 'old' copy, like it did 7, and just be my OS again?

! Thought ye'd abandoned me, John!

Hang on. Are we talking all over each other now? I see a notification.

What do ye reckon then? Reinstall? I remember that was always Dell's answer to everything :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,990 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Stigura wrote: »
    What do ye reckon then? Reinstall? I remember that was always Dell's answer to everything :rolleyes:

It would probably be the easiest option for you now, as you have no real investment in the present install.
    Most of us mucked up at first and ended up reinstalling :D

:D Love ye to f**kin bits, John! :D

Take it it'll do as before then? Wipe itself, like it wiped 7?

I'm Really happy that I hung onto this weird looking bit of code like gibberish I've written down on paper, at some point: Turns out it's the Password for my bloody internet connection!!! :eek:

Booted off the disc and got the old, " Server Not Found " thing again? Somehow managed to burrow my way through to a familiar looking box and Guessed this might be the password a heroic young lad at 3 told me! Phew!

Okay. Say the word and I'll hit Install :cool:

• Advertisement

Fire away, you have nothing to lose ....... else save off any files you might want to keep while using the LiveUSB.

Bak at that no more processes, John. How do I shut down, please?

Anybody??? Come on peeps; Sitting here staring at this screens doing my head in. But, I don't want to. Make a forced start in case I wreck it again! 😬

A forced restart will only damage the OS installation, and as you are wiping it anyway I guess it does not matter.

Use the power button, and unplug from the mains for 2 or 3 minutes, to ensure it gets a clean start.

I'm back, John!!! :D A wiser bloody man too! Thanks!

1. Keep the KDE OS near at hand!

2. Don't even bother loading my usual wallpaper, because " Desk Top ", on here, isn't like 7! It's all done via Dolphin.

3. Poxy bloody keyboard, Again! Must re fathom out how to stop it making " turn up when I hit @! Grrr!!!

4. Have to figure out how to reload my FF shortcuts, from the HTML, Again :rolleyes: (To think I'd got all this stuff sussed!)

5. All these bloody passwords to unravel, Again! Christ! I'm in for a busy evening! So much better though that staring at a dead screen. Or trying to do schit on my phone! :P

Thanks, mate!

• Advertisement

I guess you won't be trying latte-dock again :D:D

Shut It! :D

:eek: :eek: :eek: Good god! Johnboy? I'm in there!!! That bloody forum? It worked now! :D

This'll take a load off ye! ;)

:eek: :eek: :eek: Good god! Johnboy? I'm in there!!! That bloody forum? It worked now! :D

This'll take a load off ye! ;)

Maybe was some small glitch when you installed the first time.
    Might also have caused your problems with latte-dock :D

Don't Ever mention That bloody thing again!!! 'Blaster Worm' caused me less grief than that!

See my post, in that forum? I describe my problem. I list, exactly, the steps I took. First answer - probably the last; Basically, 'Go back and do what ye just did.' :rolleyes:

Great!

Don't Ever mention That bloody thing again!!! 'Blaster Worm' caused me less grief than that!

See my post, in that forum? I describe my problem. I list, exactly, the steps I took. First answer - probably the last; Basically, 'Go back and do what ye just did.' :rolleyes:

Great!

No, I did not see your post, I just now checked.

The forum mods are rather 'touchy' about what they perceive as unacceptable writings, so maybe you upset some USians :D

Doesn't bode well, John. Guy clearly hadn't even read my post. Now, if I point that out to him? I'm the upstart :rolleyes:

Joined a forum, the other day. Just to ask a single question. Ye'd better believe me when I tell ye; One guy's popped up, started giving me abuse about a falling out we'd had almost Ten Years Ago, on line! And which he'd wholly instigated. (I gave him the rope to totally pwn himself, and he did, as it happens. Quite exquisitely)

Guy must get up, every day, and search the internet for mention of that particular handle! Seriously! And, he wasn't even the only one! Another dude cropped up, insinuating he could be doxing me!

I'm banned from more places than I can post in, now, John. I just don't know what it is about me - other than I simply Refuse to bow down before any little tyrant with a keyboard, who their mate has given a ban button.

How many Pages is this thread now, John? And we've been hammering out some of the most stressful stuff a man can have to endure. I've been loosing my schit, at times. And what's happened? Nothing! Because you've treated me like a human being, throughout.

Common civility is king, is it not, sir?

Anyway, yeah. See the situation I'm already faced with, in that place? :( Damned, either way.

I just realised there is 18 pages of posts in this thread!

I must be mad!!!!!! :D

Oh I had my moments on that forum also.
    I found out the best response sometimes was none at all, and when I just HAD to respond, then I began to write, and re-write, and leave it for a while and re-write, until I got said what I wanted, without using unacceptable terms etc.

In other words I learned to use polite words to say not so polite things! :)

So far it has worked for me. ;)

The biggest things to remember is to attack the content of the post if you must, but never, ever, attack the poster.
    That is completely unacceptable.

The biggest things to remember is to attack the content of the post if you must, but never, ever, attack the poster.
    That is completely unacceptable.

John; Even the Words I was being called, on that Other forum, wouldn't be acceptable here. No way! (For clarification; I Know this isn't ye point)

Ironically, I was just composing a Very nice and full of " :) " post there. Explaining how I'd got as much answer as I ever would. Thanking the place for their time. Indicating how one or two members just seemed rankled by my presence. So, I'd bid the place a fond farewell :)

" You Do Not Have Permission To Post! "

LMFAO! :D

Anyway ..... Yeah. It's friday night ... But, this isn't a chat room. (Smacks own wrist)

Now: Yes, this thread's " Got History " - I believe is what ye said? Ages ago. When I suggested I veer off and ask a question fresh.

Now, I see it very much as the story of one mans journey, across this gaping chasm which - believe me, John! - exists between, I'd guesstimate, 90% + of windoze slaves and Linux.

Whether anyone else, thinking of making the change, would be in the least bit interested in ploughing through it? I've no idea. Especially given todays, majorly; 'Give it! NOW! Free. Oh, god, I've lost interest. My concentration's gone.' mind set.

But, hells teeth, John; Ye've personally taken a guy, scared to death of the water, and who is now, at least, happily Dog paddling around, asking the typical, air headed, questions Anyone in my position Will ask.

And, I have shed tons More to ask yet! :p

Up to you, I guess? You're the one pulling this load.

I'll be around if you need questions answered. ;)

Enjoy the journey :)

• Advertisement

First question would be the one I asked on there :confused: I'm hating having to use " - " where I'd normally use the wavy, horizontal line.

Then? As we speak, I'm trying to figure out a sound issue. Back to that though. Nothing's life threatening. One thing at a time.

Bugger! If only we were able to have tabbed each post! Imagine that? A Thread Searchable record of each 'issue' covered? Wow!

What do you get when you do the following

Shift+2 ....... do you get ' " '?

If not then you have your keyboard set incorrectly.

Have you set up your location and time in the new install?

I see your posts are showing again on the forum.

There are three ....... all seem fine to me, with no hassle.

Morning, John :D

Well ..... Got up, this morning. Fired her up. What do I see? Bloody Username and Password box! Of course, my username's showing. But, I'd distinctly clicked for NO Password.

As I said before; I Hate the idea of having to sit here, pecking out a word, first thing every day. I'm a two finger typist, on the keyboard from hell.

Couldn't get in. Figured there's only one thing for it: Suck it up and do Another install! But, I have the presence of mind to have come here first Just got to get my head around things first.

For one? I see I cam do " # " now. And, I glanced at a new post, where someone, very kindly, seems to have caught my drift and has laid down a walk through like he's talking to a scared child. Excellent! Exactly what I need! :) I'll get back to that, in due course.

Nice too ro see that ~ at a glance ~ it's Not me. There actually is a glitch in the system, where by doing the right thing throws the wrong result?! Great! I'm Not an idiot, see? :D

Anyway, sat here, going through my note book, what do I find? Bloody password for Linux! But, I'm sure that was for the first install.

I think, today, we'd better first look closely at that Username / Password bit. And how I get past it again, without condemning myself to ever picking out rubbish before my head clears.

Thanks.

Try hitting the Enter key instead of password ...... if you used no password

Bottom left of tray

Select icon for 'Configure your computer'
    Select 'Boot' in left pane
    Select 'Set up autologin ...' in right pane

Tick .... 'Yes I want autologin ....' and leave others unchanged

Select 'OK' at bottom right.
    Close out that app.

That should do it.

Err ..... Now I've gone straight back into Thick mode! :pac: I'm pretty sure I tried hitting Enter. That brought up a tiny, thin line of red script underneath the box. Telling me I'm knackered.

Ye second option; Just trying to get my head round how I try that. I guess I shut down. Power up again with this stick pulled out? Try it then.

Okay. I'd better write ye instructions on a bit of paper.

Back shortly, John. I have a Dog missing and it's driving me absolutely to distraction here. I have to go out and check the stable.

Back! Dog's fine. I got called away :)
    Now, it makes sense there's no point doing the auto log in thing on this stick borne system. So, I'm about to shut this down.

Then, I'll boot to the permanent one and try hitting Send for a password. Got it.

And, if I Still manage to butcher it? No biggy. I've got all afternoon now to play about with bootings. I'm very relaxed now and can just shrug it off ;)

Here goes! Wish me luck! :D

:cool: Interesting.

1. I used ye CTRL / Alt key thing, to gently close my machine down, when it reached that inevitable block. Great! Thanks! :D

2. Tried hitting Return. Having none of it. Closed down and now I'm back on the stick. No worries.

3. I have various pages from my little note book here, John. Schit scribbled down, in pencil, over the past days. And, I'm staring at a note that says: " Linux Blah, blah, blah. " The blah being, clearly, one of my usual Passwords!!! :o

3A. Here's the clinch: Assuming that Is a password I fed the machine based Linux? It'll get me in.

But; If I use that and Do get in? Can I then back track and tell the system; " No. Sorry. Changed my mind. Green button and retrospectively ditch all that password schit :confused:

I mean, obviously, that would be sweetest. As long as this password gets me in. Otherwise? Plan B is to reload KDE Back onto my machine and use the green button approach then.

Except ....! Do I not have to be 'IN' Linux, to see that green button in the first place??? Not sure!

See? I'm trying my best. I'm keepong notes. I'm keeping my cool :cool:

I'll leave this here now, for you to find. I'm off out to the kitchen to do some stuff for half hour. When ever ye respond, and I find it? I'll get on and do as ye say next.

Hey! This time tomorrow? I should be gliding around Linux like it was 7. These are only teething problems. Largely, no doubt, caused by my own, simple thickness! :o

• Advertisement

Entering a user name when asked, then and correct password for that user will get you into the KDE desktop.
    That is where you launch the applications.
    Linux is capitalisation sensitive, unlike Windows, so watch out for that.

Do you remember what root password you used?
    You will need that if you wish at any time to become admin.

Linux was designed as a multi-user system, so it has by default all the checks and balances that requires ...... username/password per user; special password for root/admin; no user, other than root, has the default ability to view another users' files.

You can add more users as you wish ..... using Configure your Computer - System - Manage Users on system

You can also as admin change users passwords.
    Admin/root is king of it all.

EDIT: There is no reason at all to reinstall because you seem to have problems with passwords. ;)

Advertisement