Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiral out - keep going

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 735 ✭✭✭Treviso

Mallow 10 week 5

Monday 2nd - 6m easy, 8.50avg

Easy 6 miles around the local park, legs were surprisingly fresh after the previous day's session. Not sure if it was this run or the day before, but I developed a nasty blister on the outer sole of my right foot. Was quite painful all day & got worse overnight.

Tuesday 3rd - 10x400m@85s w60s recovery

Was looking forward to a bit of speed but my foot was quite sore. Was hoping that it would numb itself after a few miles. After a 2 mile warmup, it was a bit better so off I went on the 400m reps. As with all my speed reps, I start off too fast and either slow or fade towards the end. Wish I could get the pacing a bit more stable. Anyway, reps were all on time and walked the recoveries

84, 84, 85, 82, 85, 85, 84, 84, 83, 83

Was definitely challenged on this one but I'm definitely strong on these speed sessions. They don't take much out of you recovery wise.

Wednesday 4th - 7 miles easy, 8.54avg

Foot was still at me so wanted to run on grass to minimise the pain, but I also had to take my new Pegasus 36 shoes out on a test run if I wanted to use them for the following days run. Ended up doing 4 miles in the new shoes on the road and the last 3 in the mud with spikes. At least it broke up the run. Soaked my feet all day and eventually the pain in the foot eased off.

Thursday 5th - 2x5miles@7.05 w 1m@8.30 float

Only found out about this run the previous day. Just as well as it didn't give me the chance to analysis or fear it for the week. Positives were it was a 7.xx pace, foot was pain free and had the spring of new shoes. No excuses either as there was no wind and weather was perfect. First set of 5 miles were ok, legs began to tire towards the end which was worrying

7.02, 7.11, 7.03, 7.03, 7.00

The float mile (8.23) went by so fast and before I knew it I had to set off again. It's not a good sign when you start to count down a 5 mile rep after 1 mile, so I was suffering. I'm never out of breath but my legs get heavier and heavier. By running these type of sessions, it will improve this feeling. Managed to get them done on time which made me happy

7.08, 7.05, 7.01, 6.58, 7.02

A nice 72 minute 10 mile ran there, with the float mile included. Guess the initial sub 70min aim for Dungarvan was a bit of a sandbag after all :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Lambay island

Serious run that today. I wouldn't be worried about tiring on that 2nd 5 mile rep. Sounds fairly normal, especially with the work you have been putting in lately. In fact, you should be more worried if you weren't:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,501 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

That was a savage session T, well done :)

And yes it's a firm competition between you & D for sandbagger of the year so far ;)

Serious run that today. I wouldn't be worried about tiring on that 2nd 5 mile rep. Sounds fairly normal, especially with the work you have been putting in lately. In fact, you should be more worried if you weren't:)

Thanks D, yea the more I think about that run the more I am happy with it. You all set for the race this weekend?
    That was a savage session T, well done :)

And yes it's a firm competition between you & D for sandbagger of the year so far ;)

Thanks E. I wish they gave out an award for that in the A/R forum. Speaking of sandbagging, what's your goal time for Bohermeen :p

Treviso wrote: »
    Thanks D, yea the more I think about that run the more I am happy with it. You all set for the race this weekend?

ah, suppose I am. Mind wandering taper stage at the min for me, even more so then usual in the current climate

I am going to set out at 7:35/7:40 pace and take it as it comes hoping to pick things up later in the race. If i stick to this pace it will be a nice PB for me but even better if i can pick it up :D

I am going to set out at 7:35/7:40 pace and take it as it comes hoping to pick things up later in the race. If i stick to this pace it will be a nice PB for me but even better if i can pick it up :D

Avoiding the question.....you should be a politician :D

I know what you mean though, stick to that pace and see how you feel come mile 9/10. I'm certain you will pick up the pace significantly for the end miles - you've put in the hard work in training.

Avoiding the question.....you should be a politician :D

I know what you mean though, stick to that pace and see how you feel come mile 9/10. I'm certain you will pick up the pace significantly for the end miles - you've put in the hard work in training.

Haha no idea what you mean T ;)

Yeah that would be great if it happens, we'll just have to wait & see :)

Will finish off this boring week of training before all the exciting race reports come in

Saturday 7th - 14m@7.35

I was heading out on the Saturday night so had to get this run done beforehand as I would be in no condition to do it on Sunday. After a rest day on Friday my legs were still feeling fatigued after the session on Thursday. I was fearing the worst for this one, especially with the wind being quite strong again. It turned out to be a horrendous slog from start to finish.

All miles were mostly a few seconds slower than the 7.35 but was happy with the effort. It's a bad sign when you're counting down the miles from 10. My legs were like jelly with 4 miles to go, had to really dig deep to complete them. Even the warm down mile was painful. I'm sure this run will stand to me. Mile times were
    7.41, 38, 36, 44, 42, 39, 37, 36, 42, 38, 37, 37, 31, 38

Sunday 8th - 5 mile easy

After quite a lot of pints on Saturday night and with my legs still in bits from Saturday, I gave this run a skip. Right choice in my hungover eyes

Weekly Mileage - 49.6
    Year to date - 451

Well done to everyone in their races today - some unbelievable performances put in

• Advertisement

Mallow 10 week 6

Well, what a difference a week makes. I guess everyone will be updating their log a bit more often these days. Taking the positives out of this scenario, no races to disrupt my training and running will provide a welcome escape from being confined to home most days.

Monday 9th - 8 easy, 9.06avg

Legs were ok for this, benefits from running Saturday and taking a hungover day on Sunday. Was soaked from start to finish for this run. Didn't think the paces were averaging over 9min but don't care either.

Tuesday 10th - 3x2m@6.55 w 1m@8min float

Got the Mallow 10 cancellation email just before this session. Spent the warmup trying to plan alternative races (futile now I know). Kinda felt this session would be ok, 3x2m a lot easier than 2x3m in my experience. First set were ok
    6.50, 6.53
    2nd set were tougher with a crosswind for the first mile and into a very strong wind for the last half mile. Really felt I was pushing this part, with my head to one side trying to breath. Was actually happy with the times
    6.57, 7.02
    Last set had a tailwind so was able to push it a bit more, without blasting it
    6.49, 6.46
    Was happy with the run but a bit pissed off with no race to go for. Guess it's something to get used to now

Wednesday 11th - 6m easy, 8.48avg

Back to the same route as Monday and was able to listen to some music for the first time in ages.

Thursday 12th - 15x35secs hill sprints

Haven't done a hill sprint session since early December, where I walked the recoveries and suffered from DOMs for two days afterwards! Not sure if the hill I picked was more favourable or it another sign of my improvements, but this one went so much better. Was able to jog all recoveries and run the hills at an increased pace. Hopefully won't have any DOMs tomorrow

Got my training plan altered to cater for the lack of races so it's going to be a couple of months of intense training before the next goal race, the Cork Half Marathon (if that even goes ahead).

Friday 13th - 9m easy, 8.43avg

Or Day one as it's now known. Went for an out and back from Carrigaline to Crosshaven along the walkway. Not many people about at that time. Was an enjoyable run as I didn't feel any DOMs from the previous day's hill sprints.

Day 2 - rest

Day 3 - 13m@7.40

What a difference two days makes - walkways were jammed packed with all sorts of traffic for this one. Guess I need to get used to it, or venture out earlier. The run is a good way to break up the day so might keep as is.

In terms of running, this one went so much better than last week's similar run. More rest from the last session, plus the session being easier, meant my legs were a lot fresher for this. Maybe dodging between everyone made me keep concentration on the paces, but was able to keep to them and even go faster towards the end. Was suffering for the last 2 and could only go one pace, which turned out to be faster than I should've! Miles were

7.37, 37, 41, 44, 31, 32, 43, 33, 39, 25, 26, 23, 18

Weekly mileage - 53
    Year to date - 505 (half way to 1k already, bloody hell!)

I've been fine so far with all the restrictions and self isolation, normally work from home most of the time anyway - the only change for me really is having the wife and kids in the house with me, which is great (have to say in case she reads this :D). The only thing that scares me is if the country goes into lockdown and we can't go running. Hopefully the pubs closing and other measures kicking in won't cause that to happen.

Day 4 - 8m easy, 9.03avg

This run was broken up into two parts, 4 miles ran on walkways and the other 4 on muddy grass. It really did break up the run doing it that way. First 4 miles went quick enough, then a quick change into the spikes and off I went for the rest at a slower pace. Good news is the greens are starting to firm up a bit so should be able to run there more often once the rains holds off (which it hasn't :( ) Miss the barefoot running!

Day 5 - 7m easy, 8.49avg

Family trip to the nearby park, plan was to run 3 miles with my 2 daughters on their bikes. Then I would pass them onto the OH and complete the rest in peace. The 3 miles with the girls were actually quite pleasant as they broke the monotony. At one stage I was struggling to catch my breath as myself and the youngest were chewing the ear off each other. Handover achieved and finished off the last 4 miles in boredom

Day 6 - 3x2m @6.50 w 1m@8.00 float

Same session as last week but quicker by 5 whole seconds. I knew it should be an ok one. First two miles rep I felt really strong, bouncing along the walkway
    6.41 6.45
    Float mile was ok and off I went on the second set. First mile was ok but start of 2nd mile, I felt a strain on the outside of my right calf. It caused me to slow and I say I was limping some bit (definitely my gait changed). The strain travelled up my leg, into the hamstring and became manageable. This happened so quickly. My thoughts went from stopping, to slowing the pace, to see how this goes, to it's not too bad, to carry on as normal, to try to redeem the mile time :D
    6.51 6.53
    It certainly gave me some food for thought during the float mile but it seemed to have subsided. I decided to carry on. Last rep and the legs were suffering a bit but was able to finished them out quite strong
    6.47 6.42

A tempo session on Friday and a longer one on Sunday has me fretting a bit for my legs - they are going to get a battering for the rest of the week. Rest day tomorrow so they'll get a chance to rest up.

With Cork Half marathon now postponed, there's not even a goal race in the distant horizon to train for (apart from DCM). I'm looking at it as an opportunity though. I'm betting that not many runners have put a 5-6 months block of solid training together without running a race. I'm expecting the next race I run to be a world record attempt :cool:

Loving your positivity T :D

Day 7 - rest

Day 8 - 7m tempo, 5@7.05 2m@6.55

Had my doubts on how this run would go for me - 7 miles seemed a lot at those paces. Good news was my legs felt fine after the rest day. Did the same route as Tuesday but never checked which direction the wind was going. Turned out it had changed direction so a lot of this route was against the wind.

First 2 miles were ok, it was upon turning a corner towards the end of the 2nd mile that I realised my mistake with the wind. 7.00 7.05
    Next mile and a half were into the wind. I did think about going back the way I came but persuaded myself to carry on. Once I turned the corner by Blackrock castle, I had the wind at my back for the next two miles. Was able to recover some bit during these 7.08, 7.00, 6.58
    Final two miles were straight into the wind so I needed to push quite hard for them. Last mile was quite a struggle, but managed to get to the end on time 6.42, 6.51

Day 9 - 7m recovery - 9.15avg

Wanted to take this run as easy as possible. Went for a new route close to the UCC sportsgrounds, which was a 3.5m out and back along some quiet walkways. Did see a few groups of runner about, which is a crying shame - mostly young enough lads doing it. Run was grand, a new route always help.

Day 10 - 14m 10@7.45 4m@7.25

Not a great night sleep before this run and felt I had some sort of strain on my right calf as well, so wasn't in good form going out for this. Turned out to be ok though, legs were alright for the whole thing. Picked a nice route for this to take advantage of whatever wind was there. Again there was more groups of runners out - makes no sense to me - so people can't run by themselves for a few months. It'll be these type of people that will cause the lockdown of the country and stop everyone from running.

First 10 miles at 7.45 were there or there about, working for them but at a comfortable level if that makes sense. Miles were 7.43, 47, 47, 44, 47, 45, 50, 37, 44, 42

Last 4 and felt the increase in pace, legs were heavy but were good. Told myself it wasn't that long to go and to dig in. Last 2 miles were into the wind and I pushed myself to finish out strong, so the pace increased for both of them. Miles were 7.24, 21, 12, 16

Weekly mileage - 57
    Year to date - 562

Biggest ever weekly mileage for me, plus 3 sessions in 5 days that were quite a push. Happy to get through the monster week, although the legs are tired now. Should be recovered over the next 2 easy days, and the next week looks a bit better intensity wise

Fair play on the great week with the 3 sessions. I like the looks of that day 8 run you did, might try that at some stage this week myself

• Advertisement

Day 11 - 7m easy, 9.15avg

With all the recent good(ish) weather, I thought that the fields in the UCC Farm would be runnable. Needed some grass running to boost the recovery days. Started off with my spikes on but conditions were so good that I was able to switch to normal runners. Even towards the end of the run, I was able to take the shoes off and do the last mile barefoot. Could feel the benefits on my feet straight away

It's good to have the grass running back, one positive at least

Day 12 - 7m easy, 9.18avg

This was an interesting run in which I had my daughters with me for the majority of it. We started off with me running on the walkways by the Farm and them on their bikes. We managed to do 4 miles out and back before the complaining got too much. After some rest, they wanted to run a mile with me around the Farm.

So all three of us took off, oldest one got a stitch about 100 metres into the run. Myself and the youngest carried on (So cruel you'd think, but we could see her all round the pitch). A lot of stop and starting with the youngest but we eventually got to a mile. My OH was there to rescue me for the rest of the run - long road ahead of us to get them to a junior parkrun but it's a start (and they're only 6 & 7 :D:D) I can sense I'll become like the dad of the Williams sisters in pushing them :P

Day 13 - 4x1m@6.42 w 1m@8.00 float

A lovely single session for me during the week, I feel spoiled. This is the first phase of an overall pace increase, going from 6.50-.55 to 6.40-.45. I felt confident for this one as they were only a mile long and 4 instead of 5 reps.

First fast mile felt very comfortable, a bit too comfortable for my liking, with pace around the 6.30 mark. Eventually I did fade a bit towards the end, or was I conserving energy....6.40
    Float mile was quite easy too (7.59). Second fast mile and again felt good. Started too fast again and faded towards the end 6.39
    Another good float mile(8.05) and off i went on the third one. Felt it was taking a bit more effort here, looked down and pace was at 6.50. Had to up the pace to reach the target (turned out it was a gps issue) 6.38
    Tough float mile here (8.09) but felt the last mile would be ok - had a slight downhill and a bit of a wind behind me 6.27
    Felt great after that mile, so much so that I kept the cool down mile to 8.07. Delighted with how that went. Bigger tests to come, 1 miles were ok, 2/3 miles at that pace will be a different story

During the first 8min float mile of this run, I noticed how warm it was and my head was a ball of sweat. With the lack of barbers available, hair is beginning to get too long. Thinking of buying some hair clippers and shaving my head. Last shaved my head in my twenties, didn't mind it too much except that I look like a drug dealer. Will be interesting to see what my work colleagues will think of the new look during our video calls (now is the time to do it though!!) Could save me a few seconds for my sessions :D

Flies are back out in force as well, bring back the cold & wind I say :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Yeah noticed the flies too. Fly swattin time already!

Good 4x1m session there

Day 14 - 8m easy, 8.45avg

Very warm morning for a run, which was a nice change. Remembered to bring the bottle of water from the car into the UCC Farm, nice to get some water after every few miles. 7 miles went quick enough and finished the last mile barefoot

Day 15 - rest

Should've ran!!

Day 16 - brief run

After the new measures were announced the night before, there was a mad scramble to google maps and other distance running apps to see what routes were available. Live in a fairly hilly area with loads of estates, but thankfully Tramore Valley Park was within the 2km radius. It's definitely more hilly than my usual routes but beggars can't be choosers.

Brief warmup downhill to the park followed by more brief miles. Not many people about in there so all was good. Brief miles home up some really sharp hills did not do my legs any good. Happy with how it went. Strangely the run didn't upload to Strava.......

Another brief run tomorrow

Day 17 - 6m easy, 9.10avg

Typical easy run on grass. Legs were quite tired after the previous day's brief run, so it was a slow slog around the fields. Quite a cold and windy morning, not many people about for a Sunday

Day 18 - 2x2m@6.40 w 1m@8min float

Tramore Valley Park, or home as I call it now, was the setting for this. A 1.3m gravelly path, with plenty of hilly lumps, is the best I can do for these sessions. It'll do me good to get these done in not ideal conditions. Twas a bit windy as well

Was comfortable enough last week doing 1 mile at this pace, but 2 miles together was something I wasn't sure of. Started off the first rep and the pace felt ok, didn't want to go out too fast and suffer later on. Did feel it towards the end 6.41, 6.34
    The float mile was quite tough to keep at 8min (8.22) but wasn't too concerned about that really. Felt a small bit recovered before starting on the second rep. As it was the last one I put a lot of effort into maintaining the pace till the end. Was happy to hit the times 6.37, 6.37
    Overall happy, but we'll see how I fare when I need to do a 3x2m or 2x3m at that pace. Guess I'll worry about that next week.

Day 19 - 4m easy w 12x30sec hill sprints

I was questioning whether I should do hill work, what with the extra hills that would be involved in my running in the next few weeks. I decided to go with it as i had plenty of options for hills in the 2km radius. Kept it to Tramore valley park though, same hill as the last time so I could compare.

Started with a 2.5m warmup, in which my legs felt really stiff. They loosened up by the time I started the hill sprints. Sprint paces varied from 5.24 to 5.39 for the first 11, with jogged recoveries that were 70 secs on average. I was feeling good for the last one and wanted to give it a full sprint to remember what it was like to run fast. Felt good going at full pelt up the hill in 4.46 - just a bit of fun really.

Nice rest day tomorrow to look forward to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Tramore Valley Park, or home as I call it now, was the setting for this. A 1.3m gravelly path, with plenty of hilly lumps, is the best I can do for these sessions. It'll do me good to get these done in not ideal conditions. Twas a bit windy as well

:pac: This made me chuckle
    You're still flying it T, good stuff!

• Advertisement

Day 20 - rest

Day 21 - 7m easy, 8.35avg

This was run on grass, with the last 2 miles ran barefoot (increasing as I go). Probably faster than it should have been but was feeling good after the rest day. The goal is to get up to 5 mile running barefoot at some stage (or until I step on something sharp)

Day 22 - 8.5m tempo @7.05

2 weeks ago, I did 7 miles at this pace so it was adding another bit to the tempo. The hillier terrain of TVP made this quite a tough run - although I did hit the paces. It's always a case for me to under-calculate how many miles I have left to run. I get to a point and say to myself I've 1.5mile left, only to realise that it's actually 2.5miles (give a big eff off to myself when I do). Legs were heavy towards the end. Miles were
    7.06, 6.59, 7.07, 7.02, 6.53, 7.06, 7.00, 7.00ish for the last half mile

Was happy with how that went. Got my training plan for the next few weeks after the run and the coach has switched focus to 5k/10k training, what with no upcoming races. I must admit I did feel a bit gutted at that decision as I've been making huge progress recently. After speaking with the OH, it's probably a good decision. I'll keep the training sharp till June and then start the buildup to DCM. It could have been a big ask to keep hammering in the miles from now until October. Plus it's good timing, with the boards TT coming up.

Day 23 - 5 miles easy, 8.47avg

Another grass run, was meant to be 8 miles but shortened it to 5. Was meant to add another mile at the end barefoot but couldn't be bothered. The change in plan affected my motivation to run long, which also made me alter the next day's run

Day 24 - 10m@7.40

This was meant to be a 15m@7.40 run but didn't see the point in running 17 miles today. Shortened it to 10 miles instead, ran on grass, but kept similar paces. They say running on grass slows you by about 15-20 sec per mile so pace was quite taxing, especially when it started to rain. It was a tough run mentally but got through it. Wasn't totally focused on the paces but they did seem to average out about right. Felt great afterwards though, no long run fatigue in the legs.

Weekly mileage - 47.5 miles
    Year to date - 663 miles

So a new direction, quite a lot of shorter runs so that will keep people like stockshares happy. It's strange to see so much speedwork on a training plan. In my head, they look manageable but it's always a case of going through hell when I'm actually in the middle of them. Will see if the paces are too fast/slow this week and adjust accordingly.

It all ties in nicely with the Boards TT, how could I not enter! I see others are doing TTs for the TT already, I might do a 1 mile TT on Friday to see where I am

Day 25 - 5m easy, 8.36avg

A nice run around Tramore Valley Park, legs were feeling fresh from the shorter run on Sunday. Therefore, pace was quicker than normal. 5 miles felt quite short given the recent mileage I've been doing - nice change

Day 26 - 12x400m in 91secs w 75 secs recovery

First piece of pace of the week. The 91secs seemed like a soft target given I was doing 85secs a few weeks earlier. 2 reps more this time though. Did 2 miles warmup on grass before moving to a deserted car park to do the speedwork. It's a 500m loop, quite flat so was ideal for this. Reps were quite comfortable, starting too fast and slowing towards the end. I could've done them faster but wanted to keep to the plan. First 11 400s were
    88, 90, 89, 87, 88, 88, 89, 86, 88, 87, 88
    Was feeling fresh for the last one so decided to give it a blast, full stride and arms pumping. Came in at 77
    1 mile cooldown afterwards, bringing it to 7 miles overall

Day 27 - 7m easy, 8.47avg

Was meant to be a 5 mile run but decided to boost my mileage for the rest of the week. Want to keep the mileage around the 50 mark even though I'm focussed on speedwork. Will be plenty of junk miles, need to be more vigilant with warming up and cool down for longer. Lovely day for a day today on grass, not many people about so always a bonus.

Rest day tomorrow and then a 1 mile TT on Friday. Quite looking forward to it in a weird way. Not sure how to approach it but it'll be a great learning curve

Rest day tomorrow and then a 1 mile TT on Friday. Quite looking forward to it in a weird way. Not sure how to approach it but it'll be a great learning curve

Pedal to metal job I'd imagine- no pacing yourself there. Something on my to do list also. Good luck.

Day 28 - rest

Day 29 - 1 mile TT - 5.05

Felt good after yesterday's rest day, didn't sleep that great the previous night. Was either too hot or too cold in the bed. Started off with a 3 mile warmup with some dynamic stretching. Was wondering at what pace to go with all through the warmup

Switched to the NEXT% and did 1 lap of the route, place was deserted but had seen a father and son go by previously. Route was a 500m(ish) loop so had to do 3 loops. Definitely felt the bounce of the NEXT%. Weather was quite hot and sticky, was sweating before I even started.

Off I went down the main straight, going at a pace that I felt was quite a push. Thought I went off a bit too fast, going at a pace I wouldn't be able to maintain. At the end of the first loop, I made the mistake of glancing at the watch and it was something like 4.35. Frightened me to be honest but knew I wouldn't be able to keep that up. End of the 2nd loop and the father and son were walking through the route. Was able to pass them safely first time.

Legs & arms were killing me for the 3rd and final loop, never felt so much lactate acid in my arms (need to start doing S&C). By now the pace had definitely slowed a small bit. Looked at the watch to see what was left and saw the pace was at the 5 minute mark. Saw that the father & son were still walking through so had to change the route and do another turn. Was seriously gasping for breath on the final stretch, deep heavy breathing the whole way. Finally heard the watch beep, stopped it and saw it was at 5.05 - was elated

Immediately afterwards, both my calves started to cramp up - don't think they could deal with running at that pace yet. Had to stretch them out for ages and try to walk it off if I could. I was tempted to get in the car and drive home then but knew I needed to do a cool down. Once I started running, the calves calmed down and I was able to do a 3 mile cool down.

Nice to actually do some sort of TT, and I'm guessing race conditions would not affect a 1 mile result too much. But I would hope to do sub 5 on a track some day. Puts my targeted time for the boards TT up in the air in my mind. If anyone has an opinion, let me know. PB is 18.46 from December so i should be able to run faster than that. By how much I dunno - is 17.59 a reasonable time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Day 28 - rest

Day 29 - 1 mile TT - 5.05

Felt good after yesterday's rest day, didn't sleep that great the previous night. Was either too hot or too cold in the bed. Started off with a 3 mile warmup with some dynamic stretching. Was wondering at what pace to go with all through the warmup

Switched to the NEXT% and did 1 lap of the route, place was deserted but had seen a father and son go by previously. Route was a 500m(ish) loop so had to do 3 loops. Definitely felt the bounce of the NEXT%. Weather was quite hot and sticky, was sweating before I even started.

Off I went down the main straight, going at a pace that I felt was quite a push. Thought I went off a bit too fast, going at a pace I wouldn't be able to maintain. At the end of the first loop, I made the mistake of glancing at the watch and it was something like 4.35. Frightened me to be honest but knew I wouldn't be able to keep that up. End of the 2nd loop and the father and son were walking through the route. Was able to pass them safely first time.

Legs & arms were killing me for the 3rd and final loop, never felt so much lactate acid in my arms (need to start doing S&C). By now the pace had definitely slowed a small bit. Looked at the watch to see what was left and saw the pace was at the 5 minute mark. Saw that the father & son were still walking through so had to change the route and do another turn. Was seriously gasping for breath on the final stretch, deep heavy breathing the whole way. Finally heard the watch beep, stopped it and saw it was at 5.05 - was elated

Immediately afterwards, both my calves started to cramp up - don't think they could deal with running at that pace yet. Had to stretch them out for ages and try to walk it off if I could. I was tempted to get in the car and drive home then but knew I needed to do a cool down. Once I started running, the calves calmed down and I was able to do a 3 mile cool down.

Nice to actually do some sort of TT, and I'm guessing race conditions would not affect a 1 mile result too much. But I would hope to do sub 5 on a track some day. Puts my targeted time for the boards TT up in the air in my mind. If anyone has an opinion, let me know. PB is 18.46 from December so i should be able to run faster than that. By how much I dunno - is 17.59 a reasonable time?

Well done T, thats a super effort. 17:20 would be the predicted time off that one. Possibly your softer target of 17:59 would be a safe one to go with and kick on towards the end if you can.

skyblue46 wrote: »
    Well done T, thats a super effort. 17:20 would be the predicted time off that one. Possibly your softer target of 17:59 would be a safe one to go with and kick on towards the end if you can.

Thanks S, yea I saw the predicted race times from that result. I'm thinking with it being a TT instead of a race, it won't line up that way. At least I haven't gone for 18.59 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,484 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Great TT. Hard to extrapolate all the same - you could be more suited to the middle distances. You’ll know soon enough. Pity there will be no graded meets this year, you could have tested that theory!

Day 30 - 7 miles easy, 9.02avg

With the new 5k/10k training plan, the mileage seems to have dropped to about 30-40 miles per week. I want to keep it at the over 40 mark, so will add more easy miles to my runs.

This was meant to be 5 but did 7 miles on grass. Didn't care what pace I went at, wanted to ease my legs back into it. Really sunny morning, super hot.

Day 31 - 6x1k@6.25 w 95sec rec

Soaked from start to finish, what a difference a day makes. At least there wouldn't be many walkers about :D Started with a 3 mile warmup on grass. Quite a lot of surface water for this run, my feet got drenched. Changed into different shoes for the quicker paces.

Must admit the 6.25 pace was not as easy as I thought it would be. Looking back they felt quite manageable, but at the time I did suffer somewhat. Guess all types of speedwork is the same way. Reps were
    3.56, 3.55, 3.55, 3.57, 3.56, 3.51
    with walking recoveries. A good days work with no after affects from the TT. I was actually more proud of the 4 mile cool down I did afterwards to boost my mileage.

Weekly mileage - 44 miles
    Year to date - 707

3 more speedy sessions next week, that seem more challenging than this week. Good mix of variety though.

Day 32 - 5m easy, 9.08

So my plan to increase mileage failed on the first day. Had a few drinks and stayed up late the previous night so wasn't in great shape that morning. Struggled to do the 5 miles on grass but got there in the end. Didn't feel great all that day

Day 33 - 2m@6.35 3min rec 4x800m@6.10 w 95sec rec

Was still feeling a bit dodge today (mind was melodramatically racing about whether I have COVID-19 or not :pac:) but headed off to Tramore Valley park for this. If I was infected then everyone was doomed in that park with the toxic sweat this session produced. Did a 3 mile warmup and as always felt wrecked during it and wondered how I'd get through the session. Next thing you know, you're on your cool down!

The 2 mile at 6.35 pace were ok, legs starting to feel it towards the end. Not sure I was meant to walk the recoveries but did anyway. Miles time were
    6.29 6.33
    800s were strange in that I was feeling good for them but struggled to reach the pace. Reps were
    3.06, 3.04, 3.10, 3.03
    Not sure if it was against the wind for the third one but hard to see where the 6.20 pace came from. Warmed down around a grass GAA pitch there

Day 34 - rest

Day 35 - 2x400@5.40, 3x800@6.00, 2x400m@5.40 w 90 sec rec

Big difference today from the session two days ago. Paces felt easy and legs felt good. Difference was either the rest day, change of location or just a different day. I did these reps around the 500m loop I did the 1 mile TT on. There may be an element of favourable GPS here, not too sure as it seems to be an ok route (2 long stretches and 2 moderate turns)

Anywho, did a 3 mile warmup on grass nearby and started the reps. Always started too fast at the start. Times were
    89, 92, 2.58, 2.57, 2.57, 89, 89
    Was happy with the times and did a 3 mile cool down. Was building up the mileage nicely again for the week

Day 36 - 7m easy, 8.38

Surprisingly spritely for this run so pace was up. Felt good for the whole 7 miles.

Have a 5 mile tempo tomorrow - bit of a change to the shorter speed sessions

Day 37 - 5m tempo @6.55

Must admit, day 37 and motivation for running is starting to wane a bit. With the likelihood of no racing for 2020, it's harder to focus on these hard runs with no short to medium goal in sight. I'm hoping it's just a small phase I'm going through.

So this was a 5 mile tempo at 6.55 pace - I remember doing a 6 mile version of this in February and it wasn't easy at all. Went to Tramore Valley Park for this, so the route would be a bit hillier too. Did a 2 mile warmup, wasn't feeling it but reluctantly I set off on the tempo miles. I needed to keep pushing myself to keep at the 6.55 pace, any lack of concentration caused it to drop. I was counting the miles down from the start and did find it tough to complete. I do think I couldn't done another mile at that pace though, big struggle that it would've been. Mile times were
    6.56, 6.49, 6.50, 6.48, 6.45
    Another 2 miles cool down

Day 38 - 6 miles easy, 8.58avg

Back to Tramore Valley as recent rain would make grass running a bit too muddy. Plodded along for the 6 miles, didn't care about pace. Was running behind some guy for a bit when another runner joined him for a planned run together. There may have been some case for them to do that, but when a third runner then joined them, they were taking the pi$$ - no distance at all. No wonder us runners get a bad name when eejits like them are behaving like that. Now there may have been justification i.e. living together, lovers etc but I highly doubt it.

Probably just in a cranky mood :mad:

Weekly mileage - 45 miles
    Year to date - 753 miles

Maybe the 5k TT on Saturday will lift the spirits. Will treat the week like a race week and reduce mileage towards the end.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

The TT will lift the mood. Going to be a flood of TT reports, back slapping, sobbing, DNFs, PBs and calls for the referee! Lol

Race week!!

Day 39 - 12x400m@6min w 60sec rec

Did these reps on the same loop as the TT. A 3 mile warmup on grass and off I set. I knew that 6 minute pace would be comfortable enough but the 60secs recovery was shorter than normal. If I didn't have the TT this week, I might have tried to jog the recoveries, instead I walked them. Reps were

84, 88, 88, 86, 88, 86, 87, 85, 85, 86, 87, 85

Felt good after them. Finished with a 2 mile warmup to bring me to 9 miles in total. Need to replicate that effort for the full 5k tomorrow and let the vaporflys make up the rest for me

Day 40 - 7m easy, 8.37avg

Not happy today. Went out to the UCC Farm only to see they had blocked all the entrances and put signs up everywhere saying no entry. Makes no sense to me. Plenty of open green space that everyone (runners, walkers, dog walkers, families) was using and maintaining easy social distancing was now gone. Instead we're all pushed to the nearby narrow walkways where everyone is on top of each other. Bit of an agenda by the Cork Athletics board against certain clubs & high profile runners has prevented this amenity from being used.

Anyway rant over. Ran the 7m on those walkways effing and blinding the whole way round

Day 41 - 3x1m@6.28 w 2min rec

This was meant to be 4x1m but knocked a mile off for tapering reasonings. Also walked the recoveries :)

2 mile warmup and off I went. Fast miles were
    Didn't think I was going that much faster for the third one, but good signs. 2 mile cool down bringing it up to 7 miles

Day 42 - rest

Day 43 - 3m easy, 6x100m

Prep day. Ran the 5k route so could determine the place to start, number of loops required and the proposed finishing line. 10 loops required, start and finishing line same enough place so happy enough. 5k time was about 26mins, need to knock a few minutes off that tomorrow.

Did 6 strides afterwards but didn't really push it. They were fairly bad strides tbh.
    All set for tomorrow, looking forwarding to it. First mile should be ok, probably be too fast, then it'll be 2.1 miles of hurt. Hope my prediction of 17.59 isn't too ambitious! PB is 18.46 but I'm hoping improvements since December, plus the advantage of no racing line extra distance - just 5k - will see me improve

Day 44 - Boards 5k TT - 17.46

Had a hectic week in work this week, with Friday being quite a long day. This TT was a welcome distraction and release. Had a good night sleep last night so preparations went well. Drove to the planned route only to find I forgot to bring my water and chocolate milk with me. Lack of water made me worry as it was quite a humid day, even at 10am.

Did a 2 mile warmup, legs did feel heavy but it's a taper feeling I'm kinda used to. Changed into the Nike shoes and was ready to start. Route is a 500m loop of the Greyhound Track carpark, so I needed to do 10 for the 5k total. Normally there's no one there except the odd walker but today we had loads of walkers, another runner do some sort of session and two blood bike guys meeting up for a chat before work. Decided to setup a 5k workout on the watch so I could see the distance countdown, but more importantly see the average pace for the whole run and not just the current mile. Stood on the start line for about 5 minutes just making up excuses for not starting. Eventually I started

Mile 1
    Starting off at a nice pace that I felt was about right, looked at the watch and it was 5.15. Again I thought $hit, gone too fast again but I reckon I caught it early enough. Settled back and got into a nice 5.44 rhythm, which felt ok for this mile. Said to myself all I needed to do was to maintain this pace for the rest, no faster or slower. 3 loops of the track and 1st mile beeped in 5.46

Mile 2
    Was happy with that, wasn't pushing fully but going at a good tilt. Remember starting to look at my watch quite a bit from this point on, counting down the distance. As I passed the bikers for the 5th, I can only imagine what they were thinking. Started to struggle towards the end of this mile but was maintaining pace. Normally the 2nd mile for me is always the slowest but today it was the fastest 5.40

Mile 3
    I was counting the loops down from here and checking the distance left on my watch all the time. Breathing was starting to go fully maxed and legs were pleading to stop. I didn't have anything in me to increase the pace but was happy to keep the average pace at 5.44. Got to the last loop and turning the last corner the last mile beeped 5.45

Last bit
    Didn't think I had much of a kick left in me but gave it all and was surprised to see it at 5.18

As some other poster's report said, every 5k should have a grass field near the finish line. I remembered to stop my watch before I dropped to the nearest plot of grass in a heap. Grass was still wet from the morning dew and was a welcome relief. Was probably full of dog pi$$ or laced with corona virus but I didn't care. Managed to get to my feet, calves were cramping really badly - like a knife was sticking into both of them. Tried to keep myself moving and stretch the cramp out. Eventually I was able to head off for a 2 mile cooldown.

Ecstatic with the time, wasn't much extra I could give for it. There may have been favourable GPS with the loop and I did wear the vaporflys, but hopefully the lack of race conditions counteract that. We'll see the next time I get to do a 5k race.

I was dubious about the proposed 5k TT when I first saw the idea, but OONegative did a great job organising the whole thing and I'm glad i took part. There was so many great TT results came in today in Strava and it did make me feel really part of the Boards A/R community. On to the next one!!

Had a hectic week in work this week, with Friday being quite a long day. This TT was a welcome distraction and release. Had a good night sleep last night so preparations went well. Drove to the planned route only to find I forgot to bring my water and chocolate milk with me. Lack of water made me worry as it was quite a humid day, even at 10am.

Did a 2 mile warmup, legs did feel heavy but it's a taper feeling I'm kinda used to. Changed into the Nike shoes and was ready to start. Route is a 500m loop of the Greyhound Track carpark, so I needed to do 10 for the 5k total. Normally there's no one there except the odd walker but today we had loads of walkers, another runner do some sort of session and two blood bike guys meeting up for a chat before work. Decided to setup a 5k workout on the watch so I could see the distance countdown, but more importantly see the average pace for the whole run and not just the current mile. Stood on the start line for about 5 minutes just making up excuses for not starting. Eventually I started

Mile 1
    Starting off at a nice pace that I felt was about right, looked at the watch and it was 5.15. Again I thought $hit, gone too fast again but I reckon I caught it early enough. Settled back and got into a nice 5.44 rhythm, which felt ok for this mile. Said to myself all I needed to do was to maintain this pace for the rest, no faster or slower. 3 loops of the track and 1st mile beeped in 5.46

Mile 2
    Was happy with that, wasn't pushing fully but going at a good tilt. Remember starting to look at my watch quite a bit from this point on, counting down the distance. As I passed the bikers for the 5th, I can only imagine what they were thinking. Started to struggle towards the end of this mile but was maintaining pace. Normally the 2nd mile for me is always the slowest but today it was the fastest 5.40

Mile 3
    I was counting the loops down from here and checking the distance left on my watch all the time. Breathing was starting to go fully maxed and legs were pleading to stop. I didn't have anything in me to increase the pace but was happy to keep the average pace at 5.44. Got to the last loop and turning the last corner the last mile beeped 5.45

Last bit
    Didn't think I had much of a kick left in me but gave it all and was surprised to see it at 5.18

As some other poster's report said, every 5k should have a grass field near the finish line. I remembered to stop my watch before I dropped to the nearest plot of grass in a heap. Grass was still wet from the morning dew and was a welcome relief. Was probably full of dog pi$$ or laced with corona virus but I didn't care. Managed to get to my feet, calves were cramping really badly - like a knife was sticking into both of them. Tried to keep myself moving and stretch the cramp out. Eventually I was able to head off for a 2 mile cooldown.

Ecstatic with the time, wasn't much extra I could give for it. There may have been favourable GPS with the loop and I did wear the vaporflys, but hopefully the lack of race conditions counteract that. We'll see the next time I get to do a 5k race.

I was dubious about the proposed 5k TT when I first saw the idea, but OONegative did a great job organising the whole thing and I'm glad i took part. There was so many great TT results came in today in Strava and it did make me feel really part of the Boards A/R community. On to the next one!!

Super running and great report. Massive chunk off Togher.
    Also been a mile person i think the 2nd mile in a 5k race is the key. You seem to nail it here and by looks of your finish, despite what you were feeling at time, you will still go faster next time.

Super running and great report. Massive chunk off Togher.
    Also been a mile person i think the 2nd mile in a 5k race is the key. You seem to nail it here and by looks of your finish, despite what you were feeling at time, you will still go faster next time.

Thanks D. Hoping there'll be more improvement to come with another chunk of solid training

Brilliant run & time T! Delighted for you. The consistent training is paying off & it's great to see.

As D said lot's more to come from you with some more solid training! Well done:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

I was dubious about the proposed 5k TT when I first saw the idea

Great running & time.

But shame on you for doubting me!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Bloody fabulous time and running. Another one which shows the benefits of consistent and dedicated training! Nice kick at the end too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,509 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Unreal running, really well done man. More to come out of ya for sure, especially in a real race scenario.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Brilliant stuff T.

You are really kicking on thru the gears this year. Scary thought but there's lots more to come too!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,767 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Great running T. That's some improvement from Togher, well done. 10 laps seems like a particularly tough route to choose as well. It's great to see the consistent training bearing fruit.

Brilliant run & time T! Delighted for you. The consistent training is paying off & it's great to see.

As D said lot's more to come from you with some more solid training! Well done:D

Thanks E, I kinda got lost in the avg pace needed to actually appreciate the sub 18. Great TT by you too yesterday, you'll be under 20 in no time.
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Great running & time.

But shame on you for doubting me!!

Wont happen again, I'm still only a blow-in
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Bloody fabulous time and running. Another one which shows the benefits of consistent and dedicated training! Nice kick at the end too.

Thanks V, It was actually seeing your 1 mile TT that got me thinking of doing the same thing. Once I done that, I was more open to this TT. Great running by you yesterday as well, consistent training is paying off for you too
    Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Unreal running, really well done man. More to come out of ya for sure, especially in a real race scenario.

Thanks Damo. Sorry to see that you didn't finish your own TT. I thought it may have been injury related, so happy that it wasn't. You'll be back for the next TT
    Brilliant stuff T.

You are really kicking on thru the gears this year. Scary thought but there's lots more to come too!

Thanks J. I do feel like the progress has been quite surreal alright. I seem to have bypassed 18 min results! Would've been interested to see what time you would've done for this, we'll get a 5k out of you sometime!

Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Great running T. That's some improvement from Togher, well done. 10 laps seems like a particularly tough route to choose as well. It's great to see the consistent training bearing fruit.

Thanks A, the short loop may have had some benefits but I'm sure the 20 turns didn't help. Also counting down from 6 laps to go made it even more mentally painful!

Day 45 - rest

I wanted to go out for a run today and ease my legs back into life but didn't really have the desire to do it. Spent the time instead with the kids and did plenty of walking up and down hills for the day. 2 rest days in 3 days - what has happened to me!!

Day 46 - 7m easy, 9.05avg

This was the day I eased the legs back into running and whilst they did still feel a bit dead during this run, the miles did them the world of good.

Day 47 - 2x2m@6.45 w 1m@8min float

Didn't know how the legs would react to this one, being so close to the TT. Went to Tramore Valley again for this. Two mile warmup and off I set at a nice pace. Was trying to make myself believe that 6.45 was a moderate pace for me now, and it did for the first half mile. Who was I kidding, the rest of the rep was a tempo effort to complete. 6.45 6.44
    The 8 minute mile was ok, was a bit slower as I ran around a football pitch for it - 8.16
    Can't remember much about the second rep but it seemed hard but manageable 6.43 6.40
    I was happy with that. Did a 1 mile cool down around the football pitch

Day 48 - 7m easy, 8.22avg

I think the run yesterday woke my legs up as they were quite spritely for this run. Ran in Tramore Valley again so maybe they were reacting to running in the same place so soon

Day 49 - 7m easy, 8.48avg

I was meant to rest today but decided to run seeing as I had a rest day on Sunday. Will take the rest day on Saturday instead, between two tough runs. Tried to slow the paces down as much as I could, knew there was nothing to gained from it.

Day 50 - 5m@6.55

Wasn't really in the mood for this one. Had to go to TVP again for this and wasn't looking forward to the lumpy nature of the route (thankfully I can run elsewhere now after todays news). Had to go a bit later than normal, weather was good, so the place was packed. Did a 2 mile warmup as always. Luckily before I started, a nasty shower of hailstones came which emptied the walkways for me.

Again I tried to kid myself that 6.55 is a nice moderate, potential MP for me. It actually did feel ok for a lot of it, but 26 miles at that pace you gotta be kidding me. I'm getting there though. I remember doing 2 miles MP (7.55) a few days before DCM last year and I didn't believe I could do that pace either.

Got to the 4 mile tempo marker and i wasn't feeling too bad at all, felt i could do another couple at that pace. I'm not sure if its a mental thing and my body knows when I'm in the last mile, but suddenly the last mile was tough. Hit all the paces though 6.55, 6.57, 6.48, 6.48, 6.50
    1 mile cool down.

Nice news about the new 5km restrictions this evening. Means I can go back to the usual Blackrock loop for most of my runs. Will be happy to run on nice flat walkways again

Day 51 - 2m@6.35, 3min rec 4x800m@5.57 w 90sec rec

Got to be honest here and admit that I went outside the 2km zone for this run, but inside the new 5km. I don't see the difference between today and Tuesday. Glad to back around the flatter Blackrock loop. Went quite early, for me, for this. Legs still felt asleep starting the 2 fast miles. Pace was quite a push but manageable for the 2 miles (it's only when I turned back that i realised that I had a wind behind me) - 6.33, 6.30

Needed to walk the 3 min recovery. Started on the 800s, into the wind, after the initial burst for the first one, I started to struggle to keep the pace up for the rest of it. Second one and my legs were like jelly. Third one and I was really pushing to the max. Last one I did get the wind behind me but still had to really push it. Rep times were 2.59, 3.00, 3.01, 2.58

Despite missing the times, factoring in the wind and tired legs from the tempo run on Friday, I was happy with this.

Mileage this week - 45 miles
    Year to date - 832

Day 52 - 7m easy, 9.03avg

Very tired legs today so took it as easy as I could on grass. It was a 3 loop run in which I wanted to stop after each one. Glad I continued though. Afterwards, our family did a 5k walk/run for a local charity. Walked the 3k and convinced our 2 girls to run the last 2k around a pitch. 5 laps of the pitch, and even though they stopped for water after each lap, managed to complete the full distance. Very proud Mum and Dad afterwards

• Advertisement

Day 53 - 7m easy, 9.03avg

A nice bank holiday run on the closed farm. No one would be working there today so was able to run on grass without anyone telling me to leave.

Day 54 - 7m easy, 8.22avg

Did this around the Blackrock loop. It was good to be back running this. It makes the 7 miles goes by so much faster than doing shorter loops. Pace was a bit fast but it felt comfortable

Day 55 - 2m@6.35, 3min rec, 6x400s in 85sec w 90sec rec

Similar to last Sundays run except it was 400s instead of 800s and the route was flatter. Still the 2 miles at 6.35 were quite tough on the legs. Did them in 6.28 and 6.31 Needed to walk the 3 minutes again to give me a chance to recover properly.

Started the first 400 and my legs felt like jelly for it. Was worried it would get worse for the next 5 but thankfully I settled into them. Walked the 90 seconds recovery again. 6 rep times were 83, 84, 84, 86, 83, 80 That 86 seconds rep really annoyed me (still does). Was running with the wind so probably took it easier than I should

Day 56 - 7m easy, 8.33avg

Another of Blackrock and again it goes by quickly. Didn't want to go too fast as I knew I had a tough run again the following day

Day 57 - 5x1m@6.27 w 2min rec

Didn't know what to expect from this one. Started off running and realised I never programmed the watch for the session. Stopped after the 2 mile warmup and put it in. First fast mile went and I felt it already. Walked the 2 minutes. I really struggled through the rest of them, even though the times were faster than target. Walked all recoveries. Might get to a point where I'll be able to jog the recoveries, but not at this moment. Fast mile times were 6.18, 6.19, 6.19, 6.23, 6.25

Day 58 - much needed rest

We got a skip delivered to the house on Wednesday so I have been filling that full of soil from the garden all week. You could say I've been doing a hard S&C class every day since. Spent a good bit today doing this - arms and legs were hanging off me afterwards

Day 59 - 10m@7.25

Well I definitely didn't miss these longer runs, especially at a fast enough pace. 12 miles in total when including the warmup and down. I knew the legs were tired from the week's sessions and skip filling duties. During the first 2 faster miles, I had doubts about whether I could continue at that pace or if I'd have to reduce it to an easy pace instead. I did settle down into it by mile 3 and the 7.25 pace did feel like a moderate tempo pace then. Legs did struggle towards the end but all in all a good run. Mile times were
    7.22, 7.21, 7.16, 7.11, 7.29, 7.21, 7.23, 7.20, 7.14, 7.12

Mileage this week - 50
    Year to date - 882

Good to be back in the 50 mile mark for the week. In a world with no races for the foreseeable future, it's ironic the amount of virtual TTs that I am now involved in. Our club (which I have yet to run for!!) is doing a 5 mile TT every month, starting end of May. I also signed up for the Boards 1 mile TT, which will be a good old laugh. Will be interesting to see if I can beat the 5.06 I did a few weeks back or if the course I did it on was favourable.

Also, the coach wants me to do a 10k TT end of June so that'll be a hard one. In my head, I reckon a 10k TT will be too far to push myself into a race level of pain. But we'll see what happens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,476 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Did you do a 10k TT towards the end of the P&D marathon plan or did you change it up a bit?

I'd look on it as good mental strength training as well as a 10k TT. Easy for me to say looking on though T!!

Did you do a 10k TT towards the end of the P&D marathon plan or did you change it up a bit?

I'd look on it as good mental strength training as well as a 10k TT. Easy for me to say looking on though T!!

I think I tried to do a 10k TT during the tail end of the P&D plan for DCM. I ended up reducing it to a 5 mile TT mid run as I was suffering greatly. That's where I see the difficulty. It all well and good suffering for 3 miles, but not sure i could do it for 6 and a bit.

We'll see though, I'll be well versed in the TT stakes by then so might be able to get through it J

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

I was just wondering about the walking of recoveries. Doctors and coaches alike differ and obviously your's differs from those who have impacted on me. I have been guided by two things...jogging recoveries improves endurance and that you should finish a session feeling like you could do one or two more reps. I'd probably slow the reps and jog the recoveries. Is it something you have asked the coach about? I'd love to learn more about the thinking.

I think I tried to do a 10k TT during the tail end of the P&D plan for DCM. I ended up reducing it to a 5 mile TT mid run as I was suffering greatly. That's where I see the difficulty. It all well and good suffering for 3 miles, but not sure i could do it for 6 and a bit.

We'll see though, I'll be well versed in the TT stakes by then so might be able to get through it J

You are a different beast now alright. The difference between a 5k and 10k is that you can split a 10k into two races so you dont have to suffer early. A conservative start with a negative split is ideal for a 10km time trial IMO. I wouldn't fancy a time trial that is anyway longer though.

• Advertisement
Advertisement