Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

N25/N30 - New Ross Bypass [open to traffic]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 78,218 ✭✭✭✭Victor

L1011 wrote: »
    There was a user here I used to send GPS traces and similar to for stuff I just can't understand on OSM editing (I do POI info updates only, anything else confuses me :pac:) but they no longer post here.

There's two traffic flow changes, one quite significant in impact, that are long since implemented on the ground; and a new pedestrian walkway I'm aware of all not reflected on OSM if there's anyone who knows what they're doing.
    If you want, use the "Add a note to the map" feature and let me know about it - I'm VictorIE there.

504355.png

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Will do tomorrow when I'm at a PC with a bigger screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭m17

27/02/20
    KMkhuAY.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 168 ✭✭skodacb

Finally showing on GMaps as of this morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,401 ✭✭✭✭Alun

skodacb wrote: »
    Still showing the old route as the E30 though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,374 ✭✭✭Hibernicis

Alun wrote: »
    Still showing the old route as the E30 though.

And still using the old route for route planning

Hibernicis wrote: »
    And still using the old route for route planning
    Weird, you can't even specify a start and end point anywhere on the new road section!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭blindsider

skodacb wrote: »

Dunno if it's a coincidence but I lodged two submissions to Google yesterday, on foot of some comments here...

Anyway, it's there now...

• Registered Users Posts: 667 ✭✭✭BelfastVanMan

Seems they DO pay attention to us, at Google Maps.

Just wish they'd read the 2nd half of my email, telling them to downgrade the old roads to R roads....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

Shaves 3 km and 3 mins (traffic permitting) off your journey, according to Google!
    They,re calling the old route "E30".
    Why not call it "R251 or something?
    Not on Google street view yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,313 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Shaves 3 km and 3 mins (traffic permitting) off your journey, according to Google!
    They,re calling the old route "E30".
    Why not call it "R251 or something?
    Not on Google street view yet.

The old route is the R723 but Google haven't got around to updating that yet.

It probably won't be on Google Street View for some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,522 ✭✭✭chooseusername

marno21 wrote: »
    The old route is the R723 but Google haven't got around to updating that yet.

It probably won't be on Google Street View for some time.
    Thanks Marno,
    I can see that now;

https://www.sabre-roads.org.uk/wiki/index.php?title=R733

• Registered Users Posts: 13,573 ✭✭✭✭josip

Do Google have a Street View car permanently in Ireland or do they only bring one in on an as needs basis?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They bring them - far more than one - in. They only do Ireland in better weather so usually May to October

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭pajoguy

They bring them - far more than one - in. They only do Ireland in better weather so usually May to October

There are a lot of images around the country from june 2018 when we had a really good summer... if only we could roof it.....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,379 ✭✭✭yannakis

Seems they DO pay attention to us, at Google Maps.

Just wish they'd read the 2nd half of my email, telling them to downgrade the old roads to R roads....

In the meantime, you can try Waze which is up to date since weeks :)

yzHgwBT.png

https://www.waze.com/en-GB/livemap/directions?latlng=52.396710577108536%2C-6.898169517517091

Coincidentally, I think I saw a Streetview car in Drumcondra last week. I was driving in the opposite direction and it was in the bus lane hiding behind traffic so not 100% certain, but it looked like the 7 lens 140 Megapixel yoke.

Google Maps seems to be using the new road for routing now at last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

From the current Streetview images it looks like they visited New Ross last September, so it could be a while before they go down that neck of the woods again.

yannakis wrote: »

Coincidentally, I think I saw a Streetview car in Drumcondra last week. I was driving in the opposite direction and it was in the bus lane hiding behind traffic so not 100% certain, but it looked like the 7 lens 140 Megapixel yoke.

Could be them, Apple - or Garmin could have put cameras on too, last time I saw them it was just aerials.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,369 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Fascinating piece on the old N25 from the late 1980s. Really amazing indepth footage and analysis. The old road looked dreadful, even the surface and signage were woeful.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21271228-kilkenny-road-causing-concern/

What year was it eventually bypassed? Things must have moved fairly quickly after this video

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,657 ✭✭✭NewbridgeIR

road_high wrote: »
    Fascinating piece on the old N25 from the late 1980s. Really amazing indepth footage and analysis. The old road looked dreadful, even the surface and signage were woeful.
    https://www.rte.ie/archives/collections/news/21271228-kilkenny-road-causing-concern/

What year was it eventually bypassed? Things must have mixed fairly quickly after this video

Thanks for that; nice to relive the trip again; did it umpteen times over the years. There was a great chipper van out by the Pink Rock in the 80s. That bridge was the scene of many collisions - including a fatal one between a CIE bus and a van c.1991

The road was eventually bypassed in 1992 or 1993 when most of my circle got our first provisional licenses.

Thanks for that; nice to relive the trip again; did it umpteen times over the years. There was a great chipper van out by the Pink Rock in the 80s. That bridge was the scene of many collisions - including a fatal one between a CIE bus and a van c.1991

The road was eventually bypassed in 1992 or 1993 when most of my circle got our first provisional licenses.

Just skipped across it in the RTE archives, had no idea the piece was there. It’s amazing how cavalier the attitude to safety was - there was minimal warning about the bridge or anything like that. Irish road network has come a long way in 30 years

• Registered Users Posts: 2,326 ✭✭✭alta stare

Interesting video and hard to believe that was the main road between New Ross and Waterford. I bet that commute was a nightmare.

alta stare wrote: »
    Interesting video and hard to believe that was the main road between New Ross and Waterford. I bet that commute was a nightmare.

People tended to avoid even small commutes back then. They were more likely to stay put with the limited opportunities in their local town. I remember though people from Kilkenny used “commute” a lot to Carlow town in the early 90s as it had a lot of industrial jobs but that stretch of the old N9 was relatively good.
    Some of the old N25 featured has just been doubly bypassed now.
    The N25 wasn’t unique the country was full of awful N roads then

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭JohnC.

Never mind New Ross to Waterford, it was the main road from a major port to a good portion of the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭eagerv

road_high wrote: »

What year was it eventually bypassed? Things must have moved fairly quickly after this video

Thanks for posting link. The last 20 seconds or so I found particularly interesting approaching New Ross.

eagerv wrote: »
    Thanks for posting link. The last 20 seconds or so I found particularly interesting approaching New Ross.

Was trying to figure that out- think the now old N25 was realigned along there and that petrol station is still there it selling used cars? It’s an amazing video alright. 32 years ago today

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah the good old days, a fcking boreen it was. Impossibly narrow at some points.

Of course it's real problem was that it was in south Kilkenny, the neglect and sheer lack of interest that Kilkenny Coco has for infrastructure at the "wrong" end of the county is ongoing. If it links Wexford and Waterford they have no interest.

Ah the good old days, a fcking boreen it was. Impossibly narrow at some points.

Of course it's real problem was that it was in south Kilkenny, the neglect and sheer lack of interest that Kilkenny Coco has for infrastructure at the "wrong" end of the county is ongoing. If it links Wexford and Waterford they have no interest.

Let’s not get into conspiracy theories, the road was sorted/transformed as was the N9, The country then was littered with dreadful N roads- is the current N25 in east cork or around Dungarvan the result of the same thing? I don’t think any one would argue it is. That idea was raised in the video and neutralised- the political pull was clearly focused elsewhere and they said as much in the video with the EU funding sent elsewhere- a central government at the decision. Clearly though someone got their arses in gear as it was bypassed only 3/4 years later

• Advertisement

Interesting to see the old rail line still in use too for freight. Was that a fertiliser train? Must have closed soon after too

Advertisement