Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2020

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,885 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Supercell wrote: »
    What a week, I reckon we will get a bounce and euphoria on the markets for a few days from Monday before some further COVID19 news hits in the US and panic resumes.
    I bought some STOR and BA on Friday as well as some BAM, kind of regretting not going all in after watching the Friday close, half hoping for another dump at some stage next week.
    Anyone else care to have a stab at what next week is going to bring?
    Breaking News on Sky 30 minutes ago that the first vitim has died in the US.

But yeah I think next week will be in the green, not buying anything on Monday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

It seems completely dependent on the Corona virus which must nearly be up there with Brexit for annoying terminology.

I've read of a few cases in the US where the victim has supposedly no had contact with anyone who could have passed it on.
    If cases like this become frequent I'd say markets could take another battering. If the weekend passes without major incident
    I'd expect a bit of a bounce.

This kind of thing.....https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/28/health/coronavirus-us-updates-california-patient/index.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,401 ✭✭✭all about the mane

Thargor wrote: »
    Breaking News on Sky 30 minutes ago that the first vitim has died in the US.

But yeah I think next week will be in the green, not buying anything on Monday though.

futures down 1%. Death doesn't really change anything. Will be interesting week.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

Next thing is the NYSE will be closed due to CV

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    Next thing is the NYSE will be closed due to CV

Remember Buffet's tip about pretending the stock exchange closed....

• Advertisement

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Remember Buffet's tip about pretending the stock exchange closed....

??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

What's the plan for tomorrow?

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

You'd think China getting back up and running would be a big positive for markets next week. Data shows they are slowing getting back to normal. Outside china It's probably to late but hopefully we can learn from the extreme measures they have taken - leading to only short term consequences for us too. I'm not a trader so nothing really changes next week. If something is on sale that I can't resist then why not.

Wombatman wrote: »
    What's the plan for tomorrow?

I opened a number of positions Friday and was lucky enough to move them to BE. Will be looking to add if we have bottomed. I see this as high risk stuff but worth a punt.

i'm out of everything on my stock portfolio for at least 6 months....not worth the stress as I feel this is going lower

• Advertisement

i'm out of everything on my stock portfolio for at least 6 months....not worth the stress as I feel this is going lower

Could well go lower. My account/leverage will withstand another 40% drop so happy enough to take the risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

I'm sure the day traders are licking their lips but this is it for me too. I'm out for now...

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭themossinator

Could well go lower. My account/leverage will withstand another 40% drop so happy enough to take the risk.

There's usually another sharp short drop after where the perceived bottom is although Friday may have been it, huge volume day

There's usually another sharp short drop after where the perceived bottom is although Friday may have been it, huge volume day

Thats what I'm hoping. We had huge losses all week and then what seemed like capitulation Friday. This is only a hunch though and I will be trading accordingly.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,047 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

??

Time you educated yourself in investing...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

900 point swing on futures. At one stage about 9am this morning it was showing 25960 and looking to be a good day, three hours later 25060.

Jim2007 wrote: »
    Time you educated yourself in investing...

Oooooooh, I just wish I was as smart as you.

looks like we'll have a good day today

Any vaccine companies worth looking at?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,374 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Gilead Sciences seem the most progressed
    https://edition.cnn.com/2020/02/24/investing/gilead-sciences-coronavirus-who-remdesivir/index.html

just added to BABA & JD holdings

Jd rockin it now :) . Have just added more to baba position.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭greenfield21

The euro is on real tear lately whats that all about?? Possibly US going to lower rates and considering Europe can't really lower anymore.

Shedite27 wrote: »

Up 5% since I posted this 6 hours ago

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭timetogo1

Shedite27 wrote: »
    Up 5% since I posted this 6 hours ago

A lot of stuff up 5% on the last 6 hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,626 ✭✭✭✭Ha Long Bay

I bought some Vaxart shares last month (VXRT) @$1.05. Took a dip today but was going well last week.

https://www.globenewswire.com/news-release/2020/01/31/1978131/0/en/Vaxart-Announces-Initiation-of-Coronavirus-Vaccine-Program.html

• Registered Users Posts: 20,726 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

The euro is on real tear lately whats that all about?? Possibly US going to lower rates and considering Europe can't really lower anymore.

A year ago it was at 86 pence, and it is much the same today. Down from 1.14 to 1.11 against the US dollar over the year. The daily/weekly ups and downs make no sense to me. On two separate days recently, including today Sterling went down 1.6 pence against the Euro, for no particular reason that I could see.

Historically it is somewhere in the middle of the curve against Sterling, so I wouldn't read too much into any movements of a few pence in the next while. And in the year starting Feb 2017 the Euro bought as low as 1.06 dollars and as high as 1.24. Nothing as volatile as that more recently, whatever the reasons.

Today could be a bit of a retrace from yesterday

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭TheJackAttack

Feels like dead cat bounce

• Registered Users Posts: 2,868 ✭✭✭littlevillage

I can't understand the stockmarket rallies of yesterday and likely again today .... think we have not seen the worst of Coronavirus yet ...and the bottom of the market has still not been reached.

I wouldn't touch Airline, travel or leisure shares especially... (despite them being up about 10% in two days). Maybe tentatively look at Healthcare/vaccine type stocks .....good luck to anyone makin a quick buck, but think I'll wait for the real bottom of the market in the next few weeks.

I can't understand the stockmarket rallies of yesterday and likely again today .... think we have not seen the worst of Coronavirus yet ...and the bottom of the market has still not been reached.

I wouldn't touch Airline, travel or leisure shares especially... (despite them being up about 10% in two days). Maybe tentatively look at Healthcare/vaccine type stocks .....good luck to anyone makin a quick buck, but think I'll wait for the real bottom of the market in the next few weeks.
    I don't think the share price is moving on underline financials at the moment at all (upwards last month or downwards last week). After last week people were looking for any excuse to start trading again. The rumours of financial stimulus packages were enough to set it off yesterday. Aussies making interest rate changes today will likely give it another push today.

• Advertisement

I’m tempted by anhauser-busch and norwegian cruise around the mo

Advertisement