Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Next % to be banned?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,095 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

But that still refers to improvement in running economy not overall performance,

• Registered Users Posts: 3,825 ✭✭✭IvoryTower

From the NYTimes study
    We found that a runner wearing the most popular versions of these shoes available to the public — the Zoom Vaporfly 4% or ZoomX Vaporfly Next% — ran 4 to 5 percent faster than a runner wearing an average shoe, and 2 to 3 percent faster than runners in the next-fastest popular shoe. (There was no meaningful difference between the Vaporfly and Next% shoes when we measured their effects separately. We have combined them in our estimates.)

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2019/12/13/upshot/nike-vaporfly-next-percent-shoe-estimates.html?action=click&module=Editors%20Picks&pgtype=Homepage?utm_source=digg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

What Vaporfly?

All aboard the Adizero Pro Light Strike.....

(Anyone want a pair of the Vaporfly? 60kms im 'em. Unique pink upper.....)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Itziger wrote: »
    What Vaporfly?

All aboard the Adizero Pro Light Strike.....

(Anyone want a pair of the Vaporfly? 60kms im 'em. Unique pink upper.....)

I'm conflicted now...the Brooks with a life of 100 miles are a tough purchase to contemplate. Saucony looks interesting and this Adizero is a super looking shoe. The yet to be launched NB Fuel Cell TC and RC are a beautiful shoe to look at and have had some very good reviews which definitely increase anticipation for the full race version. I presume Asics will have something to announce shortly too as their sponsored athletes have been running in prototypes...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,208 ✭✭✭shotgunmcos

Ok had no interest until I saw that Adizero. Sweet looking shoe. NB next up. Options at least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭joe35

Was at Armagh 5k last night, all athletes in the 5k seemed to be wearing next%. Great race to watch. In the 3k open race didn't notice anyone wearing them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 591 ✭✭✭Cona

Really looking forward to some of the testing of Vapourflys vs Adizeros vs NB etc. This will be make or break for some of the running shoes companies, if they don’t match up to the Vaporflys, Nike will have a monopoly of things...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,412 ✭✭✭Lazare

Cheptegei responds well it seems.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,431 ✭✭✭sideswipe

Now we're talking....lightweight and comfortable!

86388842_10220671673080030_5447302095189311488_n.jpg?_nc_cat=110&_nc_eui2=AeEHS6KsYIAMIqRlGAYkHSj9UW2mcDbfV2PgBJdZg32g5mdMweEAGs-Oqsfqp67zvg3gLQSH1ps_MImD3GXaNx6qsaRthCvwIvjNWDhsu_cozQ&_nc_ohc=TpcOmjI2OpMAX_USodn&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub4-1.fna&oh=d4445e655070c0f0d10128997097d110&oe=5ECB76E5

• Registered Users Posts: 7,695 ✭✭✭Chivito550

This highlights nicely what a farce this is.

https://twitter.com/letsrundotcom/status/1231996995339984896?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

Chivito550 wrote: »
    This highlights nicely what a farce this is.

https://twitter.com/letsrundotcom/status/1231996995339984896?s=19

I think I'd be looking at more than just his change of footwear here ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

Nike handing out free pairs of aplhafly to anyone running in the US marathon trials this weekend.

Interesting to see how many blacked out pairs on non Nike athletes make it to the start line on the day

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Miklos

healy1835 wrote: »

Yeah where can I get one of those magic singlets?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

healy1835 wrote: »

It is an interesting point. How many of the amazing gains we have seen are down to shoes not "other advances", everyone has now dismissed these gains... Regardless of the % improvement, as a product of the shoes... Opens the door for athletes to be viewed with less suspicion.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭and still ricky villa

mloc123 wrote: »
    Nike handing out free pairs of aplhafly to anyone running in the US marathon trials this weekend.

Interesting to see how many blacked out pairs on non Nike athletes make it to the start line on the day

Kind of related but is this on the telly anywhere? Free of course

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Kind of related but is this on the telly anywhere? Free of course

Normally a stream on Watch Athletics.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,181 ✭✭✭healy1835

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Shelf price of 275$, meaning probably 300€ here.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

mloc123 wrote: »

Aren't Alphaflys banned for Elites??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,506 ✭✭✭Damo 2k9

Sold out in minutes. Resellers going to be putting them up for mad money.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Damo 2k9 wrote: »
    Sold out in minutes. Resellers going to be putting them up for mad money.

Crazy money, people with more money than sense.
    Desperate to take a couple of handy mins off the races times rather than work harder to earn it.

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

Itziger wrote: »
    Aren't Alphaflys banned for Elites??

Not the new ones (the black and Green). The ones Kipchoge ran in Vienna I believe are (though that is not confirmed as they didn't release details).

Crazy money, people with more money than sense.
    Desperate to take a couple of handy mins off the races times rather than work harder to earn it.

Plenty of people working hard as they can also would like a few extra %. If a pair of spikes comes out that gives me 1% I'll be first in line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

IvoryTower wrote: »
    Plenty of people working hard as they can also would like a few extra %. If a pair of spikes comes out that gives me 1% I'll be first in line

It does kind of move the goalposts though.
    How can you compare what you have done up to now against what you do in future once you cross over to these shoes.
    How do you measure your progress?
    You could have good runners almost sub three for years and these shoes put them over the top, was it them or the shoes...

All racers will be like this soon so you just measure your progress from here on. You'll likely get one nice pb then back to the grind

The runners may have got them sub 3 but who cares, that's their own pb I'm sure they know the runners made a difference, the sub 3 guys will now be 2.55 or whatever, it's no different. Faster times for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 946 ✭✭✭KSU

KSU wrote: »

I'll wait for the 800m ones and then I'll have to start sneaking money aside so the missus doesn't realise I'm spending 300e on spikes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

IvoryTower wrote:
    All racers will be like this soon so you just measure your progress from here on. You'll likely get one nice pb then back to the grind

Good point actually. Never really looked at it that way.

IvoryTower wrote: »

The runners may have got them sub 3 but who cares, that's their own pb I'm sure they know the runners made a difference, the sub 3 guys will now be 2.55 or whatever, it's no different. Faster times for everyone

I'm gonna stick wearing my NB flats and am gonna wear a t-shirt with 'You can only read this cause you're wearing Alphas' printed on the back.

• Advertisement

I'll get a mile or two of craic out of it

Advertisement