Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

CH or LIM bull

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭Who2

:D
    Anyone know much about Tomchoice jet. Bull for sale by him out of a TVR dam. Calfing difficulty is high for heifers but reliability is low. He looks a fine bull

You’d have a serious bull for shape and style but I wouldn’t be chancing him on heifers with tvr in him. I’ve a jet bull ( first season) here out of an adx cow with rocky there too so I’m expecting a little hardship. What’s his calving difficulty like? Mines at 7% cows 12.5% heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭john mayo 10

Who2 wrote: »
    :D

You’d have a serious bull for shape and style but I wouldn’t be chancing him on heifers with tvr in him. I’ve a jet bull ( first season) here out of an adx cow with rocky there too so I’m expecting a little hardship. What’s his calving difficulty like? Mines at 7% cows 12.5% heifers.
    13.3 for heifers. 7.3 for cows. Reliability is 30 %.
    Hes a serious looking bull. Great shape. I'm just worried about the heifers. One of them is an eby heifer out of a ch/sim x cow. The other 2 are sh/he x heifers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

Cows might be doing well to calve that bull. I wouldn't be letting him near any heifers.
    Can you Ai your heifers and use a bull on the cows?
    If i was in your position i'd be looking for a bull with easier calving bloodlines as you're away at work and your father is at home looking after the cows.

I have no way of keeping the heifers separate from the cows as all our land is in one block. I'm going to steer clear of that jet bull. Will look to pick up.an easy calving bull

• Registered Users Posts: 4,679 ✭✭✭squinn2912

I have no way of keeping the heifers separate from the cows as all our land is in one block. I'm going to steer clear of that jet bull. Will look to pick up.an easy calving bull

You’ll get it very tight to get a ch bull that will do heifers too. What age/size are they? Could you keep bull or heifers about a yard until you’ve ai done? Is there a neighbour with an easy calving bull you could make an arrangement with and throw the heifers in with him for 6 weeks? Bound to be a way

• Advertisement

squinn2912 wrote: »
    You’ll get it very tight to get a ch bull that will do heifers too. What age/size are they? Could you keep bull or heifers about a yard until you’ve ai done? Is there a neighbour with an easy calving bull you could make an arrangement with and throw the heifers in with him for 6 weeks? Bound to be a way
    Meant to say an easy calfing limousine bull and run him with them all

Meant to say an easy calfing limousine bull and run him with them all

Sorry maybe I picked you up wrong. I think that’s the only choice.
    Could you maybe keep the lim bull in a shed for a month or 6 weeks and put cows on a programme, try to get them with ai and bull sweep behind?

Sorry maybe I picked you up wrong. I think that’s the only choice.
    Could you maybe keep the lim bull in a shed for a month or 6 weeks and put cows on a programme, try to get them with ai and bull sweep behind?
    I could do but it's just easier to run a bull with them all

I could do but it's just easier to run a bull with them all

Then I say go easy calving all rounder bull. 50 quid less a calf takes 16-18 calves if you lose one due to too hard a calver. If you need to bust yourself on a jack for 12 of those that’s more cost.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,181 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Then I say go easy calving all rounder bull. 50 quid less a calf takes 16-18 calves if you lose one due to too hard a calver. If you need to bust yourself on a jack for 12 of those that’s more cost.

When you work full time you have to make concessions for that. You have to factor in the calving difficulty and the effect on your system.

When you work and farm it simplifie the system as much as possible. You do not want to be up jacking calves or be having to come home at lunch time checking cows

Do you finish your own stock Mayo

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement

When you work full time you have to make concessions for that. You have to factor in the calving difficulty and the effect on your system.

When you work and farm it simplifie the system as much as possible. You do not want to be up jacking calves or be having to come home at lunch time checking cows

Yes that’s a similar reiteration of my point. It was crossing my mind to suggest finishing so that your hit in the mart is minimised.

We dont finish stock here. Sell most of the weanling in oct/ nov. Any heifers kept are bulled the following spring and have them calving down at 24 months approx

Was chatting to the dept of agri yesterday. I'm going to have to buy a genotyped bull and not buy one and genotype myself. The deadline for genotype samples is march 11th. Too short a time frame

• Registered Users Posts: 1,568 ✭✭✭older by the day

Was chatting to the dept of agri yesterday. I'm going to have to buy a genotyped bull and not buy one and genotype myself. The deadline for genotype samples is march 11th. Too short a time frame

Surely there is a limousine bull breeder up there who knows his breeding since cows first walked. I used to buy limousine bulls from a guy who knew how many hairs the calfs would have. Get a two year old easy calving limousine. And pay enough to a proper breeder. Don't be borrowing or hiring and bringing in disease. A good old bull will bring back most of his price when you sell him again

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

The man to whom I referred got his bull off this man https://www.donedeal.co.uk/beefcattle-for-sale/stabiliser-cattle/6821335
    He’s been advertising on dd for a good number of years. I agree they’d suit that job meant to be great lively calves with medium sized cows. Not all that much to look at though

Billy O'Kane - was beef farmer of the year in 2014.
    https://www.fwi.co.uk/events/awards/farmers-weekly-beef-farmer-of-the-year-2014-billy-o-kane

For someone working PT or similar these are a good option to consider. They birth a small calf which are up and going quickly. Assisted calving is rare as the birth weight is one of the factors they closely regulate in the breed development.

I think there is a few on here with Stabilisers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,519 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Surely there is a limousine bull breeder up there who knows his breeding since cows first walked. I used to buy limousine bulls from a guy who knew how many hairs the calfs would have. Get a two year old easy calving limousine. And pay enough to a proper breeder. Don't be borrowing or hiring and bringing in disease. A good old bull will bring back most of his price when you sell him again

Country is full of bulls. Could come across a nice 5-6 year old bull aswell for a bit along with cull price and you'd be able to see calves out of him. Might be a better buy than a younger one.

Country is full of bulls. Could come across a nice 5-6 year old bull aswell for a bit along with cull price and you'd be able to see calves out of him. Might be a better buy than a younger one.

There is a few I enquired about. Some guys asking mental money. 3000 plus. I dont need one for another month but if the right one pops up I will go for him. Enquired about one locally last night. He was up for sale with a month. Not even registered or genotyped.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,209 ✭✭✭tanko

There's 537 Limousin Bulls for sale on the "stock bull finder" on ICBF.com at the moment. Could be worth a look.

tanko wrote: »
    There's 537 Limousin Bulls for sale on the "stock bull finder" on ICBF.com at the moment. Could be worth a look.
    Cheers. Will take a look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,930 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

There is a few I enquired about. Some guys asking mental money. 3000 plus. I dont need one for another month but if the right one pops up I will go for him. Enquired about one locally last night. He was up for sale with a month. Not even registered or genotyped.
    It’d be good to have the bull 2-4 weeks before you let hem out with the cows

• Advertisement

Billy O'Kane - was beef farmer of the year in 2014.
    https://www.fwi.co.uk/events/awards/farmers-weekly-beef-farmer-of-the-year-2014-billy-o-kane

For someone working PT or similar these are a good option to consider. They birth a small calf which are up and going quickly. Assisted calving is rare as the birth weight is one of the factors they closely regulate in the breed development.

I think there is a few on here with Stabilisers.

What kind of money for a two year old stabiliser?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,068 ✭✭✭funkey_monkey

What kind of money for a two year old stabiliser?

Depends on whether you buy it from an approved breeder (Multiplier) or just off someone with a bull.

The pricing ranges depending on the cross which is scaled from F1 to F5. the price will be dependent on which of these it is.
    I think the multipliers are given a price range at the start of each season for each cross - although those outside of the Multipliers price themselves.
                              FEMALES         MALES
    FIRST CROSS:     F1       CROSS (1/2)     1ST CROSS
    SECOND CROSS:    F2       CROSS (3/4)     2ND CROSS
    THIRD CROSS:     F3 (GD)  PURE (7/8)      3RD CROSS
    FOURTH CROSS:    F4 (D)   PURE (15/16)    4TH CROSS
    FIFTH CROSS:     F5       PURE (16/16)    PURE

More info: https://www.bigbeef.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Stabiliser-Pedigree-Standards.pdf

I've honestly no idea as to the cost of one. I think grassroot_1 on here has/had them - maybe they can chip in.

On SellMyLivestock there is currently 20 pure (F5) breeding heifers in England looking £1150 per head. (Bear in mind these are the pure ones).
    There is also someone selling 12 Stabiliser X and is looking £640 - £750. I'd assume these were F1, but I'm not up to speed on them all.
    The main sellers are on DoneDeal - albeit mostly in NI. There is only one Multiplier listed on the Big Beef website for Ireland (Hayden in Tipp) but I've no idea how he advertises.

Not very useful post, but just be aware if they start talking about F1, F2, etc what they are referring to.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,029 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

Depends on whether you buy it from an approved breeder (Multiplier) or just off someone with a bull.

The pricing ranges depending on the cross which is scaled from F1 to F5. the price will be dependent on which of these it is.
    I think the multipliers are given a price range at the start of each season for each cross - although those outside of the Multipliers price themselves.
                              FEMALES         MALES
    FIRST CROSS:     F1       CROSS (1/2)     1ST CROSS
    SECOND CROSS:    F2       CROSS (3/4)     2ND CROSS
    THIRD CROSS:     F3 (GD)  PURE (7/8)      3RD CROSS
    FOURTH CROSS:    F4 (D)   PURE (15/16)    4TH CROSS
    FIFTH CROSS:     F5       PURE (16/16)    PURE

More info: https://www.bigbeef.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Stabiliser-Pedigree-Standards.pdf

I've honestly no idea as to the cost of one. I think grassroot_1 on here has/had them - maybe they can chip in.

On SellMyLivestock there is currently 20 pure (F5) breeding heifers in England looking £1150 per head. (Bear in mind these are the pure ones).
    There is also someone selling 12 Stabiliser X and is looking £640 - £750. I'd assume these were F1, but I'm not up to speed on them all.
    The main sellers are on DoneDeal - albeit mostly in NI. There is only one Multiplier listed on the Big Beef website for Ireland (Hayden in Tipp) but I've no idea how he advertises.

Not very useful post, but just be aware if they start talking about F1, F2, etc what they are referring to.

I see Robin talbot has a few stabiliser bulls now. You can see them on his twitter @autumncalver

Going to take a look at a loosebeare fantastic bull later in the week. Anyone know much about him. Calfing difficulty is low

• Registered Users Posts: 10,687 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Going to take a look at a loosebeare fantastic bull later in the week. Anyone know much about him. Calfing difficulty is low

S1497 - LOOSEBEARE FANTASTIC
    He's not that easy calving, bottom 20% for lims. He'd be similar to ADX. Just to give you an idea.
    Any pedigree stock I saw by him were good types. I would have liked to try him here on a few but straws are gone now, I think.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,198 ✭✭✭Dozer1

there's a mixed bull sale in Ennis next Monday, might be worth a look,
    catalogue below, not alot of milk in most of the bulls.
    In the market myself as a LM i purchased in Nov last year has hurt is back and is of no use....

http://www.claremarts.ie/pedigree-registered-bull-sales-in-ennis-mart/

These are the calfing difficulty figures for the bull that's for sale. How accurate they are for heifers I dont know.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Have always been a limo man here and breed own replacements from limo x cows to limo bull.

Thinking of getting Simmental bull this year as good cross for breeding replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,181 ✭✭✭Lady Haywire

Just see the advertising next month for the Easter sale of bulls in Carrigallen if anyone is still looking then. Might be more working class bulls than the pampered lads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18 Reggiehammond

Dunedin wrote: »
    Have always been a limo man here and breed own replacements from limo x cows to limo bull.

Thinking of getting Simmental bull this year as good cross for breeding replacements.

Last year I did some contract weighing for BEEP. The best calves I weighed were Simmental out of Hereford cows.

Advertisement