Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coronavirus Part II - Its arrived - We're Doomed!!! See OP for Mod warnings

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭Removalist

Just come from Lidl. Little useful nourishment to be found in there really, they are not replenishing shelves very well. The elderly woman in front of me at check-out was unwell and coughing, and after hand had gone to mouth trying to stifle cough it fumbled clumsily in wallet for cash, then handed the cash to check-out assistant. I said audibly “we really owe a duty to each other to use card rather than cash in this outbreak”. I do not understand elderly people’s insistence on always using cash. I mean they had to go to the trouble of getting the cash in the first place. My mother died in 2009 aged 89 and always used her card, simply as it was easier. I know if somebody has memory issues the pin can a problem but a lot of purchases done by elderly individuals could be contactless.

The woman is probably surviving on a state pension ffs. I would have told you to piss off.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

BanditLuke wrote: »
    That was my biggest worry weeks ago, the panic merchants. The same ones who be saying "it's only the flu" etc.. will be causing mayhem in the shops now.

Joe will have his nipple clamps on

• Registered Users Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭timmyntc

BloodBath wrote: »
    There was no food shortage in the epicentre of the outbreak, a city of 11 million people. What makes you think there will be 1 here? A country that massively over produces food for export.

Because exported food isn't available to eat in Ireland - that's kind of the point.

Most of our food supply lines come from Europe and through the UK. We don't stockpile an awful lot of it in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,799 ✭✭✭✭DrumSteve

I’m exceptionally outspoken and well used to quare looks. Water off a duck’s back! :D

Probably not fair on the old lady though who's just buying a few bits to get her through.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,568 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

aWEP30d_700bwp.webp

• Advertisement

I have a little wind-up torch, which I bring on trips to lands where power outages are a daily thing. Haven’t seen one on sale in ages. Sometimes those pound shops are good for this kind of thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

MD1990 wrote: »
    Of course recommending get healthier is helpful. Gets the immune system stronger

Sleep also is crucial.

And I agreed with that btw.However I was replying to your claim that
    My guess it is might be affecting older people more as they dont exercise much.

Not sure where you pulled that one - as detailed the Spanish flu attacked young fit people. The Corona virus is also not as prevalent in younger children with less developed immune systems.

However viral illnesses can be caught regardless of being fit and / or having a good diet.

For now the current outbreak is still not fully understood.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

timmyntc wrote: »
    Because exported food isn't available to eat in Ireland - that's kind of the point.

Most of our food supply lines come from Europe and through the UK. We don't stockpile an awful lot of it in Ireland.

Yes it is but in the case of a emergency it could be redirected for our own use.

We don't have the English running the place anymore causing a famine when a potato crop fails.

I love that my mum is a card shark. Just realised that there are still 5 turkeys remaining that she won at Christmas in the freezer in the garage.

I’ll have 2 of them thank you mama.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

I said audibly “we really owe a duty to each other to use card rather than cash in this outbreakâ€
    I’m exceptionally outspoken and well used to quare looks. Water off a duck’s back!

Exceptionally outspoken or just a passive aggressive arsehole?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,395 ✭✭✭NSAman

BloodBath wrote: »
    There was no food shortage in the epicentre of the outbreak, a city of 11 million people. What makes you think there will be 1 here? A country that massively over produces food for export.

You have noticed what happens when you get a little over an inch of snow??

Removalist wrote: »
    The woman is probably surviving on a state pension ffs. I would have told you to piss off.

My mother survived on a state pension, my aunt did, another aunt does, and so does my uncle. What is it about a state pension that would confine one to using cash? Just can’t figure this one out. Genuinely can’t.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

I had a look at the Dublin Airport website a short while ago and there was 3 flights arriving from Italy within the following 20 minutes

Not sure how many travelling supporters the Italian rugby team would bring with them. Probably 1 or 2 plane loads. Cancel the match?

#pointless?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,524 ✭✭✭Gynoid

I think access to question marks and exclamation points should be severely rationed to boards users for the duration of the emergency.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭rosiem

Just come from Lidl. Little useful nourishment to be found in there really, they are not replenishing shelves very well. The elderly woman in front of me at check-out was unwell and coughing, and after hand had gone to mouth trying to stifle cough it fumbled clumsily in wallet for cash, then handed the cash to check-out assistant. I said audibly “we really owe a duty to each other to use card rather than cash in this outbreak”. I do not understand elderly people’s insistence on always using cash. I mean they had to go to the trouble of getting the cash in the first place. My mother died in 2009 aged 89 and always used her card, simply as it was easier. I know if somebody has memory issues the pin can a problem but a lot of purchases done by elderly individuals could be contactless.

Well done on belittling an elderly lady who is doing her shopping as she probably always has done and then coming on the internet to brag. We owe a duty to each other of respect not one upmanship which seems to be all you are interested in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭CinemaGuy45

NSAman wrote: »

It was a lot more in fairness.

Anyway Lidl has a special opening to help those in need.:p

Ironicname wrote: »
    Exceptionally outspoken or just a passive aggressive arsehole?

Take your choice :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 567 ✭✭✭tillyfilly

Beware of Pubs at this difficult time, the Corona tends to build up on the shelves there

• Registered Users Posts: 39,855 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

b92.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 3,256 ✭✭✭Kaisr Sose

Thats OTT. Would you say that to everyone that coughs or sneezes in public and then goes on to touch a handle or switch? You should have less neck and more sympathy for someone you even stated appeared unwell. There is as much germs on your own hands as anyone so you too are a source of potential infection to her or anyone else you encounter in Lidl or elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,052 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

There should be radio/tv/bus shelter ads running big time now to show people how to cough/sneeze safely, hand washing and daily wipe down of household surfaces (handles, remotes, phones etc). Could go a long way to curbing this.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,996 ✭✭✭✭gozunda

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    Which Asian countries have "high levels of obesity"?

Never heard such a thing, quite the opposite?

It's easy to fall into believing that is just us fat westerners.

For example China has a growing problem with obesity. But they are far from the only Asisn country to do so.

For example
    One in five children - and tens of millions of adults - are now overweight or obese.

https://www.aljazeera.com/programmes/101east/2019/08/obesity-china-big-problem-190808132033241.html

https://www.economist.com/graphic-detail/2019/10/28/china-worries-about-its-bulging-waistlines

• Registered Users Posts: 10,179 ✭✭✭✭fr336

*Logs onto Boards hoping the Corona thread has dropped off the front page*

"Nope, number 1 thread"

*Runs for the hills*

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I've been saying it to elderly friends or relatives if they ask. Stock up on medication if you can and ask your GP/Doctor if there is anything specific you need to be aware of regarding your medication and if you contract the virus (will some medications cause issues).

I have already advised my mum to take a few steps, including getting enough fuel to keep her going until the summertime.

There are simple steps everybody can take that are designed to give you choices if things did start getting difficult here. There are a lot of factors people take for granted that could be a shock to people who have taken no preparation. The more people who take steps to prepare, the less the potential panic and the less people who will rush to the stores.

Prevention is better then cure, even if the Irish authorities are taking the opposite approach, you can take steps to educate yourself and prepare your family without causing panic.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,723 ✭✭✭✭josip

What's the nutritional value of the candles?

Beware candles, they have roughly 10 Kcal per gram.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,027 ✭✭✭Ficheall

I love that my mum is a card shark. Just realised that there are still 5 turkeys remaining that she won at Christmas in the freezer in the garage.
    Not to get off topic.. but was this all one prize, or multiple prizes of a turkey? Seems odd either way..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,136 ✭✭✭✭Loafing Oaf

tillyfilly wrote: »
    Beware of Pubs at this difficult time, the Corona tends to build up on the shelves there

I hear these guys have cancelled all upcoming gigs...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coronas

• Registered Users Posts: 11,740 ✭✭✭✭MD1990

get a grip of yourself ffs.
    They'll be even more chaos if everyone starts panicking like you.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭ThePopehimself

Knex. wrote: »
    Why are we so ****ing inept.

Is everyone shirking the responsibility of stating, "The virus is an issue. We need to make necessary steps to protect the potential spread of it in Ireland".

The apparent thirst for money, over the protection of the nation and its individuals, is something that I hope doesn't severely bite us in the coming weeks and months.
    Absolutely.
    If Simon Harris can’t follow through on his word last night that the Ireland Italy match is cancelled, the he has lost all authority as Health minister.

'Mr Harris has said that the ultimate decision to proceed with the match rests with the IRFU.'
    https://www.rte.ie/news/ireland/2020/0226/1117632-coronavirus-ireland/

No it doesn't Mr. Harris, it rests with you!
    If ever the tail wagged the dog!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,299 ✭✭✭✭BloodBath

NSAman wrote: »

Snow has an effect on the supply chain and mobility to shops so people go crazy stocking up in case they get trapped at home with no delivery options either.

Not really comparable at all.
    I hear these guys have cancelled all upcoming gigs...
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Coronas

They must be reading this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement