Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Naas Chat Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭Carrie6OD

Putting out another call for a roofer... a good one, for a particularly tricky job. Thanks in advance!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

Anyone recommend someone to clear out gutters and remove some ivy near the roof??

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,031 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Anyone recommend someone to clear out gutters and remove some ivy near the roof??

There's a lad who lives in the houses on the way down to the race course in naas, gutter clean is on the van. I've used him loads of times, but can't find his number.

• Registered Users Posts: 826 ✭✭✭hognef

• Registered Users Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

hognef wrote: »
    "N7 motorway"...

ya same place we got coralled in last Sunday morning

That footage looks to be taken in the evening so they are at it at all times of the day

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,575 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

The fact that it's on national media will force the Gards to do something about it.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭Not in Kansas

In answer to your question, Renjit, there are insufficent services in Naas to deal with this population explosion. nobody can get a school place, a GP. There is a tiny park with a run down playground. the town is gridlocked and awful to look at. everyone drives, and nowhere nice to walk. Avoid.

What an odd post! Nobody can get a school place? Simply not true. On average the secondary schools get about 10 section 29 actions taken against them each year but none of those children live in Naas, but further afield. GP shortage is on a par with other towns around the country, caused by more GPs retiring than starting out. New large medical centre at planning stage.

There are 3 playgrounds that I know of, Monread, K Leisure and Ballycane, with others nearby in Sallins and Clane. Loads of indoor playcentres. If you like walking you are spoilt for choice with gorgeous canal walks, racecourses, the lakes on down to the old railway track path, Blessington 15 mins away, The Curragh a little further. Where do you live that you think there are no walking options?

Naas isn't perfect, I just wouldn't have chosen those particular criticisms.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭skD13

The issue of an explosion in Naas growth is certainly worthy of discussion. See these articles:

https://www.independent.ie/life/home-garden/new-homes/walk-in-the-park-for-commuters-in-naas-38971921.html
    https://www.irishtimes.com/business/economy/applications-for-961-new-homes-in-dublin-and-meath-rejected-1.4177817?mode=amp

From the first article: "The Eircode area with the most new homes built in 2019 was Naas, Co Kildare, with 829 dwellings completed in the commuter town compared to 300 for all of Dublin 1 and 2, according to the Central Statistics Office."

And in the second article there is detail of another 314 permissions to Carin by Bord Pleanala recently.

The N7 has gotten significantly busier in the last 3 to 4 years. I used to be able to use it regularly enough for a Dublin north commute, but now I rely almost exclusively on back roads. The train line from Sallins is very busy. I hear this from neighbours and see the reports online and on Twitter.

I love Naas since we moved here. Schools are working out fine for me as my kids are that bit older, but I wonder about the next tranche of Naas residents moving into all these new homes. I just wonder if our planners are properly thinking through all this development explosion? Of course we are in the midst of housing crisis and I don't want to seem NIMBYish in any way, but I do hope the planners are thinking this through in terms of infrastructure.

beertons wrote: »
    There's a lad who lives in the houses on the way down to the race course in naas, gutter clean is on the van. I've used him loads of times, but can't find his number.

If you find the name and number can you give me a shout?

If you find the name and number can you give me a shout?

Philip. 087 9667456.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,887 ✭✭✭IrishZeus

What an odd post! Nobody can get a school place? Simply not true. On average the secondary schools get about 10 section 29 actions taken against them each year but none of those children live in Naas, but further afield. GP shortage is on a par with other towns around the country, caused by more GPs retiring than starting out. New large medical centre at planning stage.

There are 3 playgrounds that I know of, Monread, K Leisure and Ballycane, with others nearby in Sallins and Clane. Loads of indoor playcentres. If you like walking you are spoilt for choice with gorgeous canal walks, racecourses, the lakes on down to the old railway track path, Blessington 15 mins away, The Curragh a little further. Where do you live that you think there are no walking options?

Naas isn't perfect, I just wouldn't have chosen those particular criticisms.

Where is the old railway walk?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭WishUWereHere

The fact that it's on national media will force the Gards to do something about it.

My OH works in a hospital up in Dublin. We were driving up on a Sunday last year and came across this blatant 2 fingered retort to Law and order. I rang the Gardaí then but heard nothing after. Now they are 'doing something' because social media is highlighting this barbaric action by a certain minority. This will all be forgotten in another week, and nothing will again be seen/heard/said until the next 'race'.

IrishZeus wrote: »
    Where is the old railway walk?

Seen here on map. It's quite short so to make it a worthwhile walk do a loop of the lake then in through the workhouse cemetery, out the other side, cross the road and begin the railway walk. No evidence of railway remains. Just a path.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,513 ✭✭✭foodaholic

I get stuck behind them every Sunday on my way to work
    It’s infuriating
    Blatant disregard for laws and animal welfare

foodaholic wrote: »
    I get stuck behind them every Sunday in my way to work
    It’s infuriating
    Blatant disregard for laws and animal welfare

I’ll be a bit more aware heading up the n7 tomorrow morning

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

Was over in Naas today for the first time in a long time. What is being built in the small carpark outside Brand Max?.

Nosnon wrote: »
    Was over in Naas today for the first time in a long time. What is being built in the small carpark outside Brand Max?.

Think it’s a coffee shop

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Seen here on map. It's quite short so to make it a worthwhile walk do a loop of the lake then in through the workhouse cemetery, out the other side, cross the road and begin the railway walk. No evidence of railway remains. Just a path.

Funny you mention this walk

https://www.kildarenow.com/news/home/519525/kildare-county-council-will-repair-grass-margins-on-historic-naas-route.html

• Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭chancer007

any decent pubs or hotels showing cheltenham races on a big screen?
    was thinking of grabbing a bite to eat & watching the racing for the day..plenty of bookies in naas.
    TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

chancer007 wrote: »
    any decent pubs or hotels showing cheltenham races on a big screen?
    was thinking of grabbing a bite to eat & watching the racing for the day..plenty of bookies in naas.
    TIA

I’m sure Hayden’s will have it on.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭pale rider

Anybody living in Bellingsfield Naas, was up there recently, the houses are lovely however the rendering on some is awful, you can see the wet brickwork through the plaster, anybody having issues with this or feedback generally, thinking of another house as I could not live with the house looking crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Bellingsfield houses are nice (all are semi detached and spaced out), considering you get a large backyard and lots of space in front too.

Longstone is another option but I did not like the overall layout.

Oak Park is more balanced.

For me,

Bellingsfield > Oak Park > Longstone

I'd go for Bellingsfield but the commute would be a problem. Oak Park is more closer to Naas Post office, a close second for me. Longstone, ok.
    pale rider wrote: »
    Anybody living in Bellingsfield Naas, was up there recently, the houses are lovely however the rendering on some is awful, you can see the wet brickwork through the plaster, anybody having issues with this or feedback generally, thinking of another house as I could not live with the house looking crap.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭regedit

Can someone recommend an IT/network guy in Naas/Kildare. Need help resolving issues with quality of WiFi in a concrete home. Signal is very poor upstairs despite a decent router. Beyond my scope despite trying so thought I'd ask the question

regedit wrote: »
    Can someone recommend an IT/network guy in Naas/Kildare. Need help resolving issues with quality of WiFi in a concrete home. Signal is very poor upstairs despite a decent router. Beyond my scope despite trying so thought I'd ask the question

Ring IT Monkey.

Don't laugh. That's the company name. They'll send you right.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Renjit

Have you tried using signal extender?

beertons wrote: »
    Ring IT Monkey.

Don't laugh. That's the company name. They'll send you right.
    Thanks bertoons. Will ring them today
    Renjit wrote: »
    Have you tried using signal extender?
    Renjit, we have a VM Hub 3.0 witha range extender upstairs for +2 years but it was still poor so I got a good Asus RT-AC86U router and thought that would resolve issues. Downstairs everything is fine but the signal is still poor upstairs in the kids room and I have now lost configuration to the range extender upstairs so, rather than trying to figure it out myself, I thought I'd ask for help

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bbnaas

Thanks bertoons. Will ring them today

Renjit, we have a VM Hub 3.0 witha range extender upstairs for +2 years but it was still poor so I got a good Asus RT-AC86U router and thought that would resolve issues. Downstairs everything is fine but the signal is still poor upstairs in the kids room and I have now lost configuration to the range extender upstairs so, rather than trying to figure it out myself, I thought I'd ask for help

Have you tried a powerline adapter instead of range extender. Passes data over electrical circuits and can broadcast your Wi-Fi signal e.g. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html

I daisy-chained my rooms using Orbi WiFi Systems connected to my VM Hub.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

• Advertisement

Bbnaas wrote: »
    Have you tried a powerline adapter instead of range extender. Passes data over electrical circuits and can broadcast your Wi-Fi signal e.g. https://www.currys.ie/ieen/computing-accessories/networking/powerline/tp-link-wpa4220-wifi-powerline-adapter-kit-av600-twin-pack-10153178-pdt.html
    I had a guy over a few years ago who was opposed to them as he said they slow down connection dramatically etc so he removed them...
    I daisy-chained my rooms using Orbi WiFi Systems connected to my VM Hub.

https://www.netgear.com/orbi/

I must have a look. What versions of Orbi did you get? There seems to be a myriad of options?
    Someone recommended I go with Ubiquity: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B07BYR6XDW/?coliid=I2XQOW7OIFX3T7&colid=2PR2A8AIVM2LD&psc=1&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

Advertisement