Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

La Flamme Rouge **off topic discussion**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Strobing

This weather is wearing me down, got drenched walking around town yesterday, clubs spins cancelled today and last week. Off tomorrow and myself and a couple friends had planned on doing a hike but people are having second thoughts about it. >:(

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,831 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

Strobing wrote: »
    This weather is wearing me down, got drenched walking around town yesterday, clubs spins cancelled today and last week. Off tomorrow and myself and a couple friends had planned on doing a hike but people are having second thoughts about it. >:(

After the snow, ice and wind commutes from the last week, spins cancelled I'm feeling similar.
    I don't mind going out in bad weather, I do it all the time, almost every day (I landed in work covered in snow on Tuesday!) but it gets tiring when you're out in shyte weather every time you go out on the bike.
    Sunday's with decent weather would be nice!

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Looks like our councils aren't the only crap ones.
    Someone in their infinite wisdom in the council in Aalborg (Denmark) thought it would be a good idea to plant trees in a cycle lane...

https://twitter.com/LouiseHansen5/status/1229285639817957376

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 38,972 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

My father passed away just before Christmas after suffering from Lewy body dementia which is a combination of both dementia and Parkinsons.
    I hadn't realised that this was even possible...

Youtube blurb: A 58-year-old man with a 10-year history of idiopathic Parkinson's disease presented with an incapacitating freezing of gait. However, the patient's ability to ride a bicycle was remarkably preserved. (In Video 2, the patient is not wearing a safety helmet because in the Netherlands, wearing a safety helmet is neither required by law nor customary.)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 19,908 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Good luck to anyone who cycles home through drumcondra once Lidl opens. I think it's going to be an absolute nightmare personally for a while, or eventually. Might start off well enough then people will get LAX and start taking risks
    Already have to deal with Skylon parkers just beyond it being stopped in the cycle lane

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,439 ✭✭✭LollipopJimmy

A girl I work with who lives and works in the City Centre is buying a car because she is 'sick of lugging shopping around'

Lives in an apartment in town (Bank of Parents pay the rent apparently), early 20's and only every leaves the City Centre to go to her home town and that's on the train - wouldn't be able to face that drive apparently. WTF is the world coming to

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,667 Mod ✭✭✭✭RobFowl

A girl I work with who lives and works in the City Centre is buying a car because she is 'sick of lugging shopping around'

Lives in an apartment in town (Bank of Parents pay the rent apparently), early 20's and only every leaves the City Centre to go to her home town and that's on the train - wouldn't be able to face that drive apparently. WTF is the world coming to

Ask her out, you know you want to....

There's one on our road who in the mornings drives and parks her car not 300m from her house, gets out and walks 10m to the bus stop on the main road to go to Dublin ffs :rolleyes:

I've tried to reason with myself why she'd do that and fried my brain in the attempt.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I know lads down the country who would drive to the end of the driveway to pick up the post or the 5 minute walk to the cattle shed. I think my favourite was the footballer who caught his wife on the CCTV using the car to pull the wheelie bin down the driveway and put it up on twitter. Some people make a job out of being lazy, in fact, they make being lazy look like more work than just doing the job, it is incredible.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

this guy was lucky, what an asshat of a driver

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1230193447434362882

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement

RobFowl wrote: »
    Ask her out, you know you want to....

Yeah, like i dont bring enough hassle on myself. Actually doing alright on that front, going well with a cyclist who likes to fight. Any issues can be sorted out in 3x3minutes in the cage

@silverharp, holy moley that's crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,365 ✭✭✭franglan

So just to update you all as I was on this looking for advice on climbing Teide a month ago. I completed it this week (photos in below link). Few observations on it. I booked a tour with Bike Experience which are based very close to Bike Point in Playa Las Americas. Went on the Tuesday tour to Villaflor but asked if I could continue up to Teide on my own and they said fire away sure! The climb from Villaflor was via Granadilla. Gets a little naughty when you are getting up to Villaflor but was all grand. We stopped at Cafe El Paz then for coffee and cake which is a lovely spot. Trek and Jumbo Lotto pro teams stopped with us which was a bit mad! As some of you suggested the climb does ramp up from Villaflor, a number of long straights with 8-9% gradient sections. The route all the way up has kilometre signage which is super handy when figuring out how close you are to the summit. Tbh I think I overestimated the distance from Villaflor to the summit and was absolutely delighted if not slightly unsure when an Italian fella shouted I've 1 kilometre to summit at me. As some of ye said it is a hard slog and the length in the saddle, constant gradient and increasingly lighter air does get to you but I was absolutely determined to finish this so delighted I have! For people with little enough experience of this climbing I think a decent baseline fitness would be an absolute minimum if thinking of doing it. Thanks for the advice earlier in this thread!

https://m.imgur.com/a/7OgjyzQ

• Registered Users Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭manafana

franglan wrote: »
    So just to update you all as I was on this looking for advice on climbing Teide a month ago. I completed it this week (photos in below link). Few observations on it. I booked a tour with Bike Experience which are based very close to Bike Point in Playa Las Americas. Went on the Tuesday tour to Villaflor but asked if I could continue up to Teide on my own and they said fire away sure! The climb from Villaflor was via Granadilla. Gets a little naughty when you are getting up to Villaflor but was all grand. We stopped at Cafe El Paz then for coffee and cake which is a lovely spot. Trek and Jumbo Lotto pro teams stopped with us which was a bit mad! As some of you suggested the climb does ramp up from Villaflor, a number of long straights with 8-9% gradient sections. The route all the way up has kilometre signage which is super handy when figuring out how close you are to the summit. Tbh I think I overestimated the distance from Villaflor to the summit and was absolutely delighted if not slightly unsure when an Italian fella shouted I've 1 kilometre to summit at me. As some of ye said it is a hard slog and the length in the saddle, constant gradient and increasingly lighter air does get to you but I was absolutely determined to finish this so delighted I have! For people with little enough experience of this climbing I think a decent baseline fitness would be an absolute minimum if thinking of doing it. Thanks for the advice earlier in this thread!

https://m.imgur.com/a/7OgjyzQ

well done bucket list for anyone who hasn't done it, going from sea level to 2,300m is special, hope you went all the way to the ski lift, most don't climb that last part

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Great stuff - well done. Looks like you had good weather which makes it a lot easier.
    franglan wrote: »
    ... Trek and Jumbo Lotto pro teams stopped with us which was a bit mad!...
    I had the very surreal experience of getting a pro rider back on the road there a few years ago. I met him walking on the section between the first summit and the cable car station. He had no English but I established that he had been dropped on a training ride, had punctured, and had no spare tube. He had no phone either and seemed to be annoyed that no one returned to assist him. Anyway, got him back on the road - his wheel was incredibly light! Those pure climbers are tiny - I felt like an elephant beside him.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,960 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

CramCycle wrote: »
    ... I think my favourite was the footballer who caught his wife on the CCTV using the car to pull the wheelie bin down the driveway...
    Sure there's a whole cottage industry which had developed to assist people to get their wheelie bin to the end of the driveway using their car.

http://www.ironwork.ie/index.php_p=3.html

https://bintowa.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,308 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

Sure there's a whole cottage industry which had developed to assist people to get their wheelie bin to the end of the driveway using their car.

http://www.ironwork.ie/index.php_p=3.html

https://bintowa.com/

i so need that !

except i dont have a towbar

useless if it cant do 2 at once be a waste of the earths resources to drive up and down twice

silverharp wrote: »
    this guy was lucky, what an asshat of a driver

https://twitter.com/righttobikeit/status/1230193447434362882

Have to love internet detectives, the car is currently for sale in a garage in Cork, it was likely on a test drive or garage business :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 17,848 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

Have to love internet detectives, the car is currently for sale in a garage in Cork, it was likely on a test drive or garage business :rolleyes:

I hope he sees the inside of a courtroom

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 10,151 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

Garage could just say it was on a test drive, we don't have the details of the driver, be it true or not. Lad from the workshop could have been out collecting lunch in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,567 ✭✭✭MojoMaker

Somebody still has to be nominated, and if no name forthcoming I assume the principal of the dealership takes the rap by default.

You'll soon find the/a precise driver if the MD is threatened :)

• Advertisement

It's actually an offence under the RTA to fail to nominate a driver when asked to do so by a Gardá.

I wasn't aware of the goings on behind the scenes between Discovery(Eurosport) and GCN but now I know it makes sense as to how they are showing races on their youtube channel and even had Kirby on commentating.

Sounds to me like they are going to try and separate the cycling out into it's own app / subscription maybe?

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/cycling-news-eurosport-announces-extension-for-grand-tour-events_sto7674062/story.shtml

• Registered Users Posts: 4,322 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Ray Crinion memorial cycle in Trim tomorrow. If anyone is thinking they might try a bit of racing at some point this could be a good reality check.
    Last hour was over 40kmh last year!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,482 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i see decathlon are due to open in april. will be interesting to see what sort of affect it will have on nearby bike shops, but i suspect halfords in blanchardstown and airside may also see an effect on sales.

I wasn't aware of the goings on behind the scenes between Discovery(Eurosport) and GCN but now I know it makes sense as to how they are showing races on their youtube channel and even had Kirby on commentating.

Sounds to me like they are going to try and separate the cycling out into it's own app / subscription maybe?

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/cycling/cycling-news-eurosport-announces-extension-for-grand-tour-events_sto7674062/story.shtml

nah they will keep cycling on eurosport, gcn the thinking will be to filter the overlap on races on to it, as well as additional content around races and more analysis, don't expect eurosport to change much from how it covers it now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,055 ✭✭✭buffalo

I came across this article about a book written in 1963: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Traffic_in_Towns

It depresses me so much that we've widened the N7 to alleviate congestion, and planning the same for the M4 and proposing the same for the M11, when 50 years ago the realisation was made, "that large increases in capacity can exacerbate congestion problems, not solve them".

i see decathlon are due to open in april. will be interesting to see what sort of affect it will have on nearby bike shops, but i suspect halfords in blanchardstown and airside may also see an effect on sales.

Are there any nearby? And in fairness, most people probably buy online anyway?

Halfords probably don't get much business from the non casual type of cyclist. I only recall buying one tube that's bicycle related since they opened in Ireland and the Blanchardstown one never seems busy on the bike side.

Halfords are handy for cables in a pinch.

Anyone here snapped the cable on their cycling shoes? bit keen getting shoe off and iv snapped it, not a boa dial, shoe brand is Spiuk,

Super comfy so want keep them, any ideas?

• Advertisement

Are they the quick lace ones with a clasp since you said they're not the dial type?

Advertisement