Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,961 ✭✭✭Yeah_Right

Hope there are some changes. Not a lot. 4 at the most across the 23. The best teams are constantly evolving and changing and improving. Gone are the days (hopefully) of the same line up being trotted out just because they won the last game they played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Just in case people want to skip over a few pages....

ionadnapokot is being a little bit sensitive over what Keith Earls said and is unquestionably reading far too much into a 2 paragraph quote

This is a bit presumptuous of you!
    Down with that sort of thing!

I think Earls is showing a distinct lack of respect to Joe and the environment they were both a part of.
    It was grand for the Grand Slam etc

Oh right. Yes, agreed. It will be interesting to see if the result and performance against Wales changes the narrative.

Ireland only won one Triple Crown under Joe.
    Massive chance for AF to create some history on Sunday.
    I think Ireland will win and expect no changes from the Wales XV.
    It can only benefit Ireland to have the knowledge that he and Catts would have on May, Mako, Lawes, Youngs and his son!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Ireland only won one Triple Crown under Joe.

Hadn't realised this at all til I read this.

Eddie O'Sullivan is three times the coach Schmidt ever was with three times as many triple crowns.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,748 ✭✭✭✭bilston

The Triple Crown isn't the be all and end all by any means, but my attitude is that historically we have won less than the other home Nations and France, so win as much as you can while you can, because before you know it you'll be 20 years without a Triple Crown and you'll be desperate for one. I think the '04 Triple Crown was the first one in 19 years.

That said I grew up in the 80s and 90s so my thought process is no doubt shapes by those barren years. Younger posters maybe don't have the same fear of the bad old days and therefore don't appreciate the Triple Crown just as much as I do.

That said I'd take no Triple Crown and winning the title over a Triple Crown and finishing 2nd!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

Eddie O'Sullivan is three times the coach Schmidt ever was with three times as many triple crowns.

How many 6 nations should Eddie have won is the question?

Not having a pop at Eddie and think he done a great job but really with that team he should of won at least 1 if not more

• Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    How many 6 nations should Eddie have won is the question?

Eddie's teams played in an era when France weren't ****, along with decent to great Wales and English ones. Definitely underperformed, but no shame in it either.

Eddie's teams played in an era when France weren't ****, along with decent to great Wales and English ones. Definitely underperformed, but no shame in it either.

England after the WC went down very rapidly, Eddie had a Wales team before Gatland took over and it was s**t....

France where nothing special and we should have won more often, a couple of 6 nations got left behind, ask the players

Again I think we need to review all the coach’s the same, Eddie done a great job to move Ireland forward. I still
    Thinks it’s a pity he didn’t find another job in Ireland, listening to ROG other day on podcast going on about his great tactics....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

We should have won in 2007, beyond that we were second best to some really good English, Welsh and French teams.

Eddie did a fine job right up until the 07 RWC.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,964 ✭✭✭AbusesToilets

England after the WC went down very rapidly, Eddie had a Wales team before Gatland took over and it was s**t....

France where nothing special and we should have won more often, a couple of 6 nations got left behind, ask the players

Again I think we need to review all the coach’s the same, Eddie done a great job to move Ireland forward. I still
    Thinks it’s a pity he didn’t find another job in Ireland, listening to ROG other day on podcast going on about his great tactics....

Wales , England and France won multiple GS and championships, as well as reaching WC finals and semis during his tenure. Bit unfair to diminish that. Joe only really had to contend with Wales and at the end, Jones' England as serious competition for the tournament.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

If Doris starts then POM won’t and Toner could well start.

England won’t give us the same easy ride in the lineout that wales did by not contesting on our throw.

England for all their talk about physicality are still missing Big billy and that makes a huge difference. Farrell isn’t playing well either and their debutant at FB is a weak link.

Wales , England and France won multiple GS and championships, as well as reaching WC finals and semis during his tenure. Bit unfair to diminish that. Joe only really had to contend with Wales and at the end, Jones' England as serious competition for the tournament.

:p

Lancaster England we just dismiss?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 180 ✭✭Lord Fairlord

If Doris starts then POM won’t and Toner could well start.

England won’t give us the same easy ride in the lineout that wales did by not contesting on our throw.

England for all their talk about physicality are still missing Big billy and that makes a huge difference. Farrell isn’t playing well either and their debutant at FB is a weak link.

Them missing Billy V is certainly a loss for them. We have a decent chance of winning IMO but if we do I don't think that it'll be by much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,481 ✭✭✭lawrencesummers

Them missing Billy V is certainly a loss for them. We have a decent chance of winning IMO but if we do I don't think that it'll be by much.

Going by our last performance against them where we were completely man shamed we haven’t a hope, but our performances have improved since the WC while theirs have worsened, we have a stronger team and they have a weaker one.

A lot will come down to the team selection. The benches will play a big part, but unfortunately I think the story of the game is going to be the fool who has been given the whistle for this one. He often has far to much of an impact on games.

bilston wrote: »
    The Triple Crown isn't the be all and end all by any means, but my attitude is that historically we have won less than the other home Nations and France, so win as much as you can while you can, because before you know it you'll be 20 years without a Triple Crown and you'll be desperate for one. I think the '04 Triple Crown was the first one in 19 years.

That said I grew up in the 80s and 90s so my thought process is no doubt shapes by those barren years. Younger posters maybe don't have the same fear of the bad old days and therefore don't appreciate the Triple Crown just as much as I do.

That said I'd take no Triple Crown and winning the title over a Triple Crown and finishing 2nd!!

Keith Wood never won a Triple Crown. Isn't that mad?
    ......mad cow 2001 is the one that got away.

& Wood and every other Irishman would gladly forsake a triple crown for a championship!

This is my first real clear memory of Irish rugby. Wooden Spoon deciders v Wales. & been overjoyed at winning a game. any game!

i thought Brian Smith was the greatest player ever that spring

• Registered Users Posts: 3,525 ✭✭✭kilns

I think POM will start on Sunday with Doris on the bench but I hate stuff like what Wood comes up with on Off The Ball, forget POMs stats and if he is not playing great, he is important because he the emotional heartbeat of the team :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Keith Wood never won a Triple Crown. Isn't that mad?
    ......mad cow 2001 is the one that got away.

& Wood and every other Irishman would gladly forsake a triple crown for a championship!

This is my first real clear memory of Irish rugby. Wooden Spoon deciders v Wales. & been overjoyed at winning a game. any game!

i thought Brian Smith was the greatest player ever that spring
    Yeah. People forget how bad we were. I used to go to 5/6N games; not in the hopes that we'd win (we just weren't good enough), but to admire how well the opposition played.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,833 ✭✭✭shootermacg

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. People forget how bad we were. I used to go to 5/6N games; not in the hopes that we'd win (we just weren't good enough), but to admire how well the opposition played.

We need to be ready for a dogfight. The English know they can get at us by playing a direct and physical pressure game. They're missing their best player in Billy V, but are at home. They will be confident of pressuring the 10, 12 channel.

The big difference this time around is that Sexton as captain will break himself before letting anyone through.

Is Henshaw available? He'll be needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Yeah_Right wrote: »
    Hope there are some changes. Not a lot. 4 at the most across the 23. The best teams are constantly evolving and changing and improving. Gone are the days (hopefully) of the same line up being trotted out just because they won the last game they played.

What 4 changes would you make?

Might be an argument for Killer for Healy but I think Sinckler would have an absolute field day with him.

Herring has been excellent I thought.

Might be a case for Toner starting. But Hendy has been very effective.

Doris coming in would be a likely one.

Other than that it's as you were. Murray justified his selection IMO and so did the rest of the back line

• Subscribers Posts: 41,028 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

yeah, some younger fans out there might not know that we never beat Scotland in the 1990s... never, not once.

There was actually a 12 year period between irish victories in 1988 and 2000.
    we beat england twice in 14 attempts in that period

we couldnt beat France in 17 years between 1983 and 2000 !
    Played 17, drew 1

wales was the only team that we would be in any way hopefully against during the 90s, where we won more than we lost.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,285 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

sydthebeat wrote: »
    yeah, some younger fans out there might not know that we never beat Scotland in the 1990s... never, not once.

Played 17, drew 1

wales was the only team that we would be in any way hopefully against during the 90s, where we won more than we lost.

My dad worked as a waiter in the Berkeley court for a some of that period and a bit earlier and used to do the team meals, he would always get a menu and a match program signed by both sets of players. All lost now annoyingly but I remember one program from an Ireland wales match had a cartoon drawing of an Irish and Welsh fan at the bar and the Irish lad is saying ‘so I says Pierre they don’t actually give you a wooden spoon’. That summed up the late 80s early 90s I think.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Played 17, drew 1

That form against France continued into the 2000's as well, I remember posting this awhile back:
    2011 was our last home loss to France, which made it 8 losses from the previous 9 tests (the 2009 GS being the exception). We then had the 2 drawn games and we've since gone on to win 6 of the last 7.

Ireland have obviously been on a general upward curve in that time while simultaneously, France have disimproved, but I often think the 2 drawn games did a lot for the players psychologically, as France had a hold over us for so long.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,068 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

Played 17, drew 1

And when we beat France in Paris in 2000, it was the first time in 28 years. We've only done it twice since then; In 2014 and again in 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I remember being so delighted when Italy came in to form the Six Nations because we might not be whipping boys any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Wales won a Slam in 2005 and 2008 which overlapped with EOS. Yeah really ****.

France won a heap of titles while he was coach too. We had a horrendous record in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,753 ✭✭✭corny

France had a super team back then. If memory serves we a left a few games behind us due to bad starts against them. Always felt EOS got the team a little too wound up in the dressing room. A more measured approach might have worked better.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,731 ✭✭✭✭phog

aloooof wrote: »
    Changed from the Tuesday? I wonder how people will read too much into that.

Probably because some of the IRFU heads would have been at Garret Fitzgerald's funeral yesterday

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

The game is also on Sunday so don't know if that would change their prep at all.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement