Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

I have cultivated my "hysteria" with pleasure and terror

Also, Monday, pre-lunchtime Baudelaire? What's happening to this place?

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

It's no wonder players try to say as little as possible in interviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

its nothing to do about the facilities or the tv's!!

The very quote aloof posted above is about nothing other than the facilities and the TVs. I suggest you read that again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,753 ✭✭✭ionadnapokot

Also, Monday, pre-lunchtime Baudelaire? What's happening to this place?

In the classroom getting up to speed on my detail for the Grand Slam showdown in Paris.
    Sois sage, ô ma Douleur, et tiens-toi plus tranquille.
    Tu réclaimais le Soir; il descend; le voici:
    Une atmosphère obscure enveloppe la ville,
    Aux uns portant la paix, aux autres le souci.

im really feeling the pressure. its no fun. i dont think i will be able to do my job.
    at lest ill be able to blame somebody else.

molloyjh wrote: »
    The very quote aloof posted above is about nothing other than the facilities and the TVs. I suggest you read that again.

i suggest you read my posts

• Advertisement

In the classroom getting up to speed on my detail for the Grand Slam showdown in Paris.
    Sois sage, ô ma Douleur, et tiens-toi plus tranquille.
    Tu réclaimais le Soir; il descend; le voici:
    Une atmosphère obscure enveloppe la ville,
    Aux uns portant la paix, aux autres le souci.

im really feeling the pressure. its no fun. i dont think i will be able to do my job.
    at lest ill be able to blame somebody else.

Ok boomer

aloooof wrote: »
    How do you know they didn't? No player is going to come out and publicly criticise or question their coach for obvious reasons. But you've no idea what was said privately.

Really think this is making a mountain out of a molehill stuff.

The way I'd imagine that works is that the leadership group take ownership of providing feedback from the playing group to the coaches. We've heard already that they themselves admitted they were slow to do that and that when they did, the players didnt exactly given the coaches the confidence in them with their performances which led to everyone falling back into bad habits.

The whole thing broke down at every level last year. Everyone involved, including the IRFU as a whole, have to take some responsibility for that. I know a lot of people love a good scapegoating, but from everything I've seen and heard it was just a failure across the board to manage the year properly at all which led to a snowball effect that culminated in the RWC. And I dont think anyone has shied away from that. It's just been reported on poorly overall.

It's no wonder players try to say as little as possible in interviews.

i know. its so easy to talk about others. isnt it?
    Heaven forbid he gave a frank analysis of his own performance's.

Ok boomer

i dont know what this means in French or English

i suggest you read my posts

I have. The problem is you are seeing what you want to see. Best and Sexton for example both talked about how things changed in 2019. How there was more info being pushed onto players than before at inopportune times. Like the NZ huddle. They both talked about how they were, as leaders in the group, slow to address that with Joe. They have both said that they recognised that when they did raise it, the coaches backed off. But then when the players started to let things slide again through their own performances the pressure from the coaches came back on and they again didnt step in and address that.

In terms of what Earls has said, was he talking about just Ireland, Munster and Ireland, Ireland under Joe overall, Ireland in 2019 only? What is the co text behind his comments? As I read them he seems to be echoing what others have said about 2019. Which has clearly been established was on everyone involved, not any one group or individual. He clearly says that each coach does things differently and spent at least some of his time comparing differences that are heavily based on available facilities.

Reading it in the wider context of what we've heard previously etc I see very little in it tbh.

• Advertisement

molloyjh wrote: »
    I have. The problem is you are seeing what you want to see. Best and Sexton for example both talked about how things changed in 2019. How there was more info being pushed onto players than before at inopportune times. Like the NZ huddle. They both talked about how they were, as leaders in the group, slow to address that with Joe. They have both said that they recognised that when they did raise it, the coaches backed off. But then when the players started to let things slide again through their own performances the pressure from the coaches came back on and they again didnt step in and address that.

In terms of what Earls has said, was he talking about just Ireland, Munster and Ireland, Ireland under Joe overall, Ireland in 2019 only? What is the co text behind his comments? As I read them he seems to be echoing what others have said about 2019. Which has clearly been established was on everyone involved, not any one group or individual. He clearly says that each coach does things differently and spent at least some of his time comparing differences that are heavily based on available facilities.

Reading it in the wider context of what we've heard previously etc I see very little in it tbh.
    "Yeah, it’s definitely a lot more relaxed in Munster and Ireland as well.”
    Say that to the face of your old colleagues or boss. They might see something in it.

Or these beauts from Henderson
    “There is a different mentality around the place,” began Henderson’s reply to a straight question about his new responsibility. “There is a different mentality in meetings. There is a different relationship between players and coaches. There is a different relationship between players and players going over stuff together.

“Everything that’s done is done in a real positive manner to ensure we are getting the best out of each other, to ensure if I go to Cian [HEALY]and ask him for help or he comes to me and asks me for help we are doing it to make each other better and ultimately to get a better result at the weekend. And everyone knows that.

“Maybe, in years gone by, guys might be a wee bit tentative of who they asked questions to or who they are trying to get clarity [FROM]for fear of people thinking they don’t know their detail, they don’t know stuff. But now there is a very open learning system, I would say, [THAT]has been put in place to ensure guys are free to get information whenever they want.”

• Registered Users Posts: 3,520 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

Just in case people want to skip over a few pages....

ionadnapokot is being a little bit sensitive over what Keith Earls said and is unquestionably reading far too much into a 2 paragraph quote

I find it crazy to think that Lancaster was the same man who tried to move Sam Burgess into center

I'd say his defence coach had a fair say in it.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Just in case people want to skip over a few pages....

ionadnapokot is being a little bit sensitive over what Keith Earls said and is unquestionably reading far too much into a 2 paragraph quote

At least 2moro we'll have the team announcement to talk about.

That'll be fun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,728 ✭✭✭Former Former

At least 2moro we'll have the team announcement to talk about.

That'll be fun.

Team announced on Wednesday...

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,225 Mod ✭✭✭✭aloooof

Team announced on Wednesday...

Changed from the Tuesday? I wonder how people will read too much into that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,286 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sunday match

Uncertainty and confusion in the Age of Farrell!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

salmocab wrote: »
    Sunday match

Ah but is that it, or are the players not taking responsibility for their availability?

• Advertisement

stephen_n wrote: »
    Ah but is that it, or are the players not taking responsibility for their availability?

They're blaming the whole scheduling of the game on someone else.

Doris deemed fit to play.

Doris deemed fit to play.

Will make for an interesting team announcement

It might not be the right call to win the game but I'd love to see Doris thrown in at 8 again. Could potentially damage his confidence if it goes badly. Risky call.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,142 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

We should just move on from last season and the Joe era! Joe was a great coach for us , he brought a lot of belief and silverware. He didn't do well in his last year! Neither did the players! Was he a demanding and controlling coach? Yep! Did we bitch about it in 2018? No. Joe got us as far as he could, he used a limited strategy and a possession based gameplan that worked for a while! In the end, it was not enough! The players speaking out now is ridiculous. A little too late! Time to move forward.
    If Farrells more relaxed atmosphere works better, then great! If the players perform better, like we know they can, great! But, reliving last season is nuts. It's a new day with new challenges.
    I see this weekends match as a barometer! For us, are we evolving? For England , why are they so... poor?
    It's not a pleasant place to be for the England squad! With the Sarries fiasco and 2 very mediocre performances. Facinating week ahead!

Will make for an interesting team announcement

Probably not, can't see POM dropping out after his performance against Wales.

Probably not, can't see POM dropping out after his performance against Wales.

I meant more in the reactions by people on here, not the actual selection process.

I meant more in the reactions by people on here, not the actual selection process.

Oh right. Yes, agreed. It will be interesting to see if the result and performance against Wales changes the narrative.

Yea I think POM will start. I would like to see Doris start.
    I would also like to see Dillane on the bench. He would give us a better carrier than what Toner offers. That said, we need to impose physicality. We were lacking in the physical areas last year and even against Scotland!
    But, we have a chance to win this championship and I think rotation will be minimal. A winning 6nations title would be mad after the shyte we served up last year!

I think England will win though! Hope I'm wrong. They have been poor so far and are beatable. So, now is the time to put it to them.

• Advertisement

Yea I think POM will start. I would like to see Doris start.
    I would also like to see Dillane on the bench. He would give us a better carrier than what Toner offers. That said, we need to impose physicality. We were lacking in the physical areas last year and even against Scotland!
    But, we have a chance to win this championship and I think rotation will be minimal. A winning 6nations title would be mad after the shyte we served up last year!

I think England will win though! Hope I'm wrong. They have been poor so far and are beatable. So, now is the time to put it to them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement