Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gaming PC for my son

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 626 ✭✭✭asgaard

What do u think guys about AMD Sapphire Radeon RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB for 120 eu (used)- is it worth it of the price?

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

asgaard wrote: »
    What do u think guys about AMD Sapphire Radeon RX480 Nitro+ 8 GB for 120 eu (used)- is it worth it of the price?

Not when you can get this https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B071R7BTJL/ref=psdc_430524031_t1_B01J1J7SKK for 160 new

GHOST MGG wrote: »

Any more with discount prices on Amazon UK worth a look? 140 pounds would be my limit. Is that one worth every penny - any reviews, please?

Thanks
    Btw. Last December I purchased that mobo MSI B450 GAMING PRO CARBON AC Motherboard. Hopefuly RAM will work fine with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,569 ✭✭✭2ndcoming

GHOST MGG wrote: »

480 is a much better card than the 570 though? It's on a par with the 580. I'd go for the seciond hand one if I'm honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭GHOST MGG

2ndcoming wrote: »
    480 is a much better card than the 570 though? It's on a par with the 580. I'd go for the seciond hand one if I'm honest.

Having personally owned both cards there is maybe 2fps difference between them running 1080 ultra settings if i remember correctly,maybe k.o.kiki can shed some light on this

edit: just found a comparison gpu chart
    https://www.gpucheck.com/compare/amd-radeon-rx-480-vs-amd-radeon-rx-570/intel-core-i7-6700k-4-00ghz-vs-intel-core-i7-7700k-4-20ghz/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,304 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

how about an RX 580 £144 with free delivery?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,348 ✭✭✭Homelander

On a budget and can only afford a lower end card, yet splashing cash around on 1000w psus and 32GB of RAM? :confused:

Strangest budget build I've seen in some time....

Homelander wrote: »
    On a budget and can only afford a lower end card, yet splashing cash around on 1000w psus and 32GB of RAM? :confused:

Strangest budget build I've seen in some time....
    I haven't spent money on PSU yet

• Registered Users Posts: 18,697 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I haven't spent money on PSU yet

Just buy a Corsair TXM550 Gold: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B06WW8G3S8?tag=pcp0f-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&psc=1

• Registered Users Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

K.O.Kiki wrote: »

Great price for a decent quality psu too.

• Advertisement

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    What about Cooler Master's power supplys ?

What exactly have you bought so far? It's just honestly absurd to be spending money on 32GB ram, and then trying to scrape by with a budget GPU.

It is like planning on buying a car, and spending €2k on gold rims and leather seats, and being left with 2K to buy a banger.

Homelander wrote: »
    What exactly have you bought so far? It's just honestly absurd to be spending money on 32GB ram, and then trying to scrape by with a budget GPU.

It is like planning on buying a car, and spending €2k on gold rims and leather seats, and being left with 2K to buy a banger.
    So far I bought mobo, case, RAM (2x8GB). I have a plan to buy graphic card in this week or PSU.

590 is basically a souped up 4/580, it's the best of that line overall.

On the VRAM I'm not 100% but I'd imagine 8 is better than 4 either way.

Better off going for a GTX1660 6gb, it's not much more and a better card. Around £190 new I think.

This was why I said take the 480 on adverts for 120 or 100 if your man would take it. There's a glut of cards from €180-280 where every ten or twenty quid gets you a bit more.

Just get a cheap one that will do him. If he gets really into it he'll be pushing for a new card by Christmas anyway, if not no loss.

What you think guys about Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB ?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,804 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

What you think guys about Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 G1 Gaming 6GB ?

Where is that being sold and for how much?

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Where is that being sold and for how much?
    Adverts and seller looking 180eu for it.

• Advertisement

Adverts and seller looking 180eu for it.

I'd probably just buy a 1660 for around £180 new or a1660 Super for £210. Newer cards that are faster and will be covered by warranty.

If the guy selling the 1060 will drop the price it might be worth it though.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

I wouldn't pay more than €110 for a second hand 1060.
    At that price you're better off getting a new 1660. If you're determined to buy second hand and save money you can get RX 570/80 4gb cards for less than 100 yo-yos now.

I wouldn't pay more than €110 for a second hand 1060.
    At that price you're better off getting a new 1660. If you're determined to buy second hand and save money you can get RX 570/80 4gb cards for less than 100 yo-yos now.
    Some people looking for crazy money for second hand cards and in some cases would be cheaper get it on Amazon.

How much is it worth second hand Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Mini?

Thanks

Some people looking for crazy money for second hand cards and in some cases would be cheaper get it on Amazon.

How much is it worth second hand Zotac Nvidia Geforce GTX 1060 6 GB Mini?

Thanks

The 6gb is a considerably better card than the 3gb iirc.

At the end of the day it's worth the same as an 8gb 4/580, I would be looking to pay 100.. As many have said a new 1660 is €160 and it would be a) better and b) new so that's all they're worth now really.

2ndcoming wrote: »
    The 6gb is a considerably better card than the 3gb iirc.

At the end of the day it's worth the same as an 8gb 4/580, I would be looking to pay 100.. As many have said a new 1660 is €160 and it would be a) better and b) new so that's all they're worth now really.
    When u get a chance can u have a look on amazon.uk for any discounts for graphic cards which are are worth of buying.

Thanks

At the rate your going your son might have the PC by the time he goes to college :pac:

You need to just stick to a list and buy it. Your chopping and changing so much. You want to over spend on mad things like way over specced PSU and cut corners on GPU.

Take a few minutes tonight and list what you have. Come back with that and how much you still want to spend and then go from there. Otherwise the build for your son will be all over the place.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    At the rate your going your son might have the PC by the time he goes to college :pac:

You need to just stick to a list and buy it. Your chopping and changing so much. You want to over spend on mad things like way over specced PSU and cut corners on GPU.

Take a few minutes tonight and list what you have. Come back with that and how much you still want to spend and then go from there. Otherwise the build for your son will be all over the place.

I wanted to say this too but i'm glad someone got there before me. :pac:

Back again: ordered and paid for AMD RYZEN 5 3600, now it's time to add cpu cooler. I was thinking about Spartan 3 PRO RGB HE1024, any good ?

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭MidlanderMan

Back again: ordered and paid for AMD RYZEN 5 3600, now it's time to add cpu cooler. I was thinking about Spartan 3 PRO RGB HE1024, any good ?

the stock cooler is fine for the ryzen. no need to buy a another one.

• Advertisement

the stock cooler is fine for the ryzen. no need to buy a another one.
    As far as I read bit too noisy

Advertisement